61% of Republicans now call Jan. 6 a “legitimate protest”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:50:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  61% of Republicans now call Jan. 6 a “legitimate protest”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: 61% of Republicans now call Jan. 6 a “legitimate protest”  (Read 3427 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 11:32:01 AM »

It certainly was just as legitimate as CHAZ or Portland, which left-wing politicians and DAs (including folks in the Biden DOJ!) have been happy to sweep under the rug.   

Wow, Republicans are just as disgusting and pathetic as the leftist rioters back in 2020. What a compelling defense of your party!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »

It certainly was just as legitimate as CHAZ or Portland, which left-wing politicians and DAs (including folks in the Biden DOJ!) have been happy to sweep under the rug.   

Wow, Republicans are just as disgusting and pathetic as the leftist rioters back in 2020. What a compelling defense of your party!

I’m not defending the Jan. 6th protesters.  It was a useless, stupid endeavor that should have never happened.  But I won’t be complicit in letting partisan Democrats scrub the similarities between 1/6 and other 2020 protests for political gain.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »

I’m not defending the Jan. 6th protesters.  It was a useless, stupid endeavor that should have never happened.  But I won’t be complicit in letting partisan Democrats scrub the similarities between 1/6 and other 2020 protests for political gain.

Here is the thing: Even if you are right that the Summer of 2020 was worse than Jan 6th , it does not make what happened on Jan 6th a legitimate protest . Here is an analogy to the argument you are making :

"I only stole $100 but someone else stole $200 and never was arrested so I should not either".
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »

Except that not single serious Dem of rank and file encouraged violent protests in the summer of 2020. Biden and others have repeatedly condemed any kind of violence. He and others never downplayed destruction of property or attacks against law enforcement as "tourist visit" or "legitimate protest".
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 12:25:18 PM »

January 6 included a "legitimate protest", a "riot" and an "insurrection". Most attendees were legitimate (misguided, perhaps) protestors.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »

And to think, at one point, more than 60% of them thought it wasn't legitimate. There was that little glimmer of hope in the days after Jan 6 when essentially everyone but the most hardened-Trumpists reacted in horror and saw it for what it was. Then the right-wing media apparatus got to work...

This. The Republicans are somehow even more insane than they were a year and a half ago.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »

I know you're not too stupid to not know the difference between nonsense like CHAZ and an attempt to coup the government via insurrection, so why are you pretending to be?

You're too blind with partisan motivations to see these two instances of the usurpation of civil authority as equivalent. 

Even if you think that these two instances are equivalent in kind, you cannot seriously believe that they are equivalent in degree.

Why not?  They both seem to have accomplished the same thing:  nothing.  And unlike CHAZ/Portland, no one was even murdered on 1/6 (unless you count Ashli Babbit)

Brian Sicknick?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 02:06:38 PM »

It was a legitimate protest and more valid than the white terrorism the left engaged in during COVID. We spent resources on the wrong people
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2022, 02:07:10 PM »

I know you're not too stupid to not know the difference between nonsense like CHAZ and an attempt to coup the government via insurrection, so why are you pretending to be?

You're too blind with partisan motivations to see these two instances of the usurpation of civil authority as equivalent. 

You treat them as equivalent and you say that *he's* blind with partisan motivations?  Pot, meet kettle.

This is just a shouting match.  I say they're equivalent; you say they aren't.  Both of our interpretations of what happened are obviously colored by the subjectivities of our politics.  How could they not be? 

Tell me one thing. How can they be equivalent when only one of them literally tried to overturn a democratic election and install a dictator who lost the election instead?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2022, 02:18:06 PM »

Even if you think that these two instances are equivalent in kind, you cannot seriously believe that they are equivalent in degree.

Why not?  They both seem to have accomplished the same thing:  nothing.  And unlike CHAZ/Portland, no one was even murdered on 1/6 (unless you count Ashli Babbit)

Dude, one was a bunch of dumb anarchist LARPERs trying to live out a utopian fantasy that failed spectacularly and was rightfully disbanded by police. The other was an attempt to sever the continuous, peaceful transfer of power that we've had in this country since our founding and to keep a losing president installed as leader. How on earth can you view them as being of the same degree?

I find it very hard to look at the crowds on January 6th and conclude that they were anything other than LARPers trying to live-out some kind of political fantasy, too.  I was actually disappointed that the Trump protesters could be just as lame as the BLM'ers, to be honest.

As I already said, the actual effect of both these riots (i.e., CHAZ and 1/6) is near-zero in retrospect.  The only difference is that one is being played-up for political gain by Democrats in Congress.   

The J6ers still breached the Capitol. They looted and defaced historical artifacts. They invaded the office of the House Speaker and defecated on desks. It was disgusting and traumatic. And what they tried to do also does matter. You are aware that they tried to install Trump as a dictator.

61% of Republicans are idiots, but we knew that already.

Just because you acknowledge January 6 for what it was doesn’t preclude the possibility that you are nonetheless an idiot. Probably 90%+ of Republicans are idiots, and that obviously includes many who acknowledge that January 6 was an insurrection.

People tend to have goldfish memories and already forgot how horrible it was, just like some in general tend to forget what a total disaster Trump's presidency was. Now they just remember that a bunch of funny dressed weirdos protested against certification of an election whose results they never accepted.

What makes it so frustrating is that the ongoing January 6 hearings recently revealed more details showing just how terrible January 6 was. You’d think the vivid, and horrifying, videos of the attack would sear into the minds of people just how bad Jan 6 actually was. Of course, one problem with that is that enough of the right-wing nuts didn’t even tune into them at all and dismissed them from the beginning.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 02:20:45 PM »

Why not?  They both seem to have accomplished the same thing:  nothing.  And unlike CHAZ/Portland, no one was even murdered on 1/6 (unless you count Ashli Babbit)

Dude, one was a bunch of dumb anarchist LARPERs trying to live out a utopian fantasy that failed spectacularly and was rightfully disbanded by police. The other was an attempt to sever the continuous, peaceful transfer of power that we've had in this country since our founding and to keep a losing president installed as leader. How on earth can you view them as being of the same degree?

I find it very hard to look at the crowds on January 6th and conclude that they were anything other than LARPers trying to live-out some kind of political fantasy, too.  I was actually disappointed that the Trump protesters could be just as lame as the BLM'ers, to be honest.

As I already said, the actual effect of both these riots (i.e., CHAZ and 1/6) is near-zero in retrospect.  The only difference is that one is being played-up for political gain by Democrats in Congress.  

So to be clear, your complaint is that they weren't successful in keeping Trump in power, despite losing an election? Do you wish they would have hung Mike Pence too?

Also, to say this has a near-zero impact because almost no one died is surreally deluded. The opened pandora's box of election-loss denialism and the threat of violence anytime one side loses has now entered into the mainstream. A democratic society cannot survive when one side only accepts the outcome of elections when they win.

Very well put.

Sadly, too many conservatives are too blinded by partisanship and propaganda to see the truth. You and Duke represent the sane faction of conservatives who acknowledge January 6 as what it was: an attempt at insurrection, no less. I’m irritated at red avatars who are even entertaining the premise that CHAZ (idiotic as it was) is even comparable to an attack on our Capitol and an attempt to install a dictator.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 02:21:42 PM »

It was a legitimate protest and more valid than the white terrorism the left engaged in during COVID. We spent resources on the wrong people

It's always nice when you reassure us that you are not someone that should ever be taken seriously.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »

For the overwhelming majority of the people who went to DC on Jan 6th, it was a mostly peaceful protest.

If you truly do believe this and it isn’t trolling, you really should consider watching the J6 hearings. I’m sure you won’t though.

It's always nice when you reassure us that you are not someone that should ever be taken seriously.

DeadPrez is an extremely far right troll who supports the CSA and opposes interracial marriage  (he says it’s okay for him to oppose interracial marriage because he’s black).

No sane or reasonable person (and DT, unlike certain other right-wing posters, is both) would consider January 6 and CHAZ are of the same kind. One literally attacked our Capitol, and attempted to overturn the results of a fair election and install a dictator who lost the election. So no, no need to even entertain the premise that they’re equivalent in kind. Anybody who unironically believes that is already off the deep end.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »

DeadPrez is an extremely far right troll who supports the CSA and opposes interracial marriage  (he says it’s okay for him to oppose interracial marriage because he’s black).

Yeah, I've long-doubted this. It's very obviously a cover so he can 'get away' with saying all of the blatantly racist, reactionary nonsense that he spews. He's as white as snow.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 02:31:53 PM »

Why not?  They both seem to have accomplished the same thing:  nothing.  And unlike CHAZ/Portland, no one was even murdered on 1/6 (unless you count Ashli Babbit)

I find it very hard to look at the crowds on January 6th and conclude that they were anything other than LARPers trying to live-out some kind of political fantasy, too.  I was actually disappointed that the Trump protesters could be just as lame as the BLM'ers, to be honest.

As I already said, the actual effect of both these riots (i.e., CHAZ and 1/6) is near-zero in retrospect.  The only difference is that one is being played-up for political gain by Democrats in Congress.  

So to be clear, your complaint is that they weren't successful in keeping Trump in power, despite losing an election? Do you wish they would have hung Mike Pence too?

Also, to say this has a near-zero impact because almost no one died is surreally deluded. The opened pandora's box of election-loss denialism and the threat of violence anytime one side loses has now entered into the mainstream. A democratic society cannot survive when one side only accepts the outcome of elections when they win.

No, I'm just calling the Capitol riot what it obstentiably was:  overweight, alt-right LARPers milling around the Capitol taking selfies until the USCP finally told them to get lost.  If a group of 1200 supposedly well-organized militants can breech the Capitol with violent intent but not manage to actually kill anybody, then you have to question if this description of them is actually that accurate.

The "pandora's box" of election denialism was first opened by Democrats and other liberals who swiftly delegitimized Donald Trump's election in 2016 as an act of invited foreign subversion.  Many of these same Democrats are now the ones running the "Jan. 6th prime time extravagenza" charade.  

Hillary Clinton conceded the next day, Barack Obama invited Trump to the White House and called on all Americans to give Trump a chance to lead, there were no Democratic mobs that stormed the capitol to stop the certification of electoral college votes. I don't disagree that some of the language utilized by MSNBC talking heads and random members of congress went too far to try and delegitimize Trump's win, but again you have to look at degrees. You're seeing a forest when there's only a couple trees in one case and seeing a couple of trees when there is a forest, in the other.

Thank you. You really do have a flair for words, I’ll say. Others (including myself) have articulated exactly what you have, but not very many have done so more reasonably, elegantly and eloquently than you have (and I say this genuinely, should anybody mistake it for sarcasm).

DeadPrez is an extremely far right troll who supports the CSA and opposes interracial marriage  (he says it’s okay for him to oppose interracial marriage because he’s black).

Yeah, I've long-doubted this. It's very obviously a cover so he can 'get away' with saying all of the blatantly racist, reactionary nonsense that he spews. He's as white as snow.

To be fair, black conservatives, and far-right blacks, do exist. Don’t question his identity. I mean by that logic I could question your identity as white male given that the clear majority of white males are conservative.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 02:35:55 PM »

Here is the thing: Even if you are right that the Summer of 2020 was worse than Jan 6th , it does not make what happened on Jan 6th a legitimate protest . Here is an analogy to the argument you are making :

"I only stole $100 but someone else stole $200 and never was arrested so I should not either".

Exactly. Two wrongs don’t make a right, and it’s idiotic to try and both sides this.

Except that not single serious Dem of rank and file encouraged violent protests in the summer of 2020. Biden and others have repeatedly condemed any kind of violence. He and others never downplayed destruction of property or attacks against law enforcement as "tourist visit" or "legitimate protest".

They also didn’t justify CHAZ. And unlike Trump, who literally called for January 6, and Republicans like Gosar and Brooks who helped to organise it, Democrats did most certainly not call for or organise CHAZ.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:42 PM »

The majority of people murdered in CHAZ/Portland were protestors killed by either cops or fascist alt-right counter protesters.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 03:31:04 PM »

Nonsense!

The number is much higher.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 03:35:17 PM »

100%. Both even took place in Washington. Coincidence? I think not!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 04:07:48 PM »

Nonsense!

The number is much higher.

It actually makes sense--it fits with polls consistently showing ~30% of the general public are just not good people.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »

Trash party.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »

For the overwhelming majority of the people who went to DC on Jan 6th, it was a mostly peaceful protest.

If you truly do believe this and it isn’t trolling, you really should consider watching the J6 hearings. I’m sure you won’t though.

I said that because it's true. Unlike too many on the left,  I'm not crazy enough to label anyone who went to DC on Jan 6th as a terrorist when only a small minority of that crowd acted dumb and rioted at the Capitol.

Unless y'all really want to open the protests/riots ratio can of worms.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 04:29:59 PM »

🍿
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 04:58:09 PM »

SuMmEr 2020!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2022, 05:11:51 PM »

And to think, at one point, more than 60% of them thought it wasn't legitimate. There was that little glimmer of hope in the days after Jan 6 when essentially everyone but the most hardened-Trumpists reacted in horror and saw it for what it was. Then the right-wing media apparatus got to work...

It's also a self-fulfilling prophecy where the elected officials all back Trump because they assume the base does and with hardly any Republican voices opposing him the base gets the signal that whatever he did is not a big deal. In an ideal world, Republican Senators would have taken the opportunity Pelosi so generously gave them and convicted him, and worried about the consequences later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies