Why are Republicans so obsessed with drag queens right now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:56:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are Republicans so obsessed with drag queens right now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Why are Republicans so obsessed with drag queens right now?  (Read 4732 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »

I know, that's why I'm so disgusted when college-educated people ruin the left's reputation and risk losing elections to Republicans just so they can die on the hill of woke BS.

Define?

15 years ago, equal marriage was seen as 'PC bs'. A vote loser. A distraction.

And yet we still managed to get there, didn't we?

You just completely missed afleitch's point, and now aren't making any sense at all.  His point was that gay marriage was back then a fringe position being espoused and implemented by "liberal extremists" in a small handful of the bluest states.  He's right, and he and I both remember very well that large swathes of moderate Dems and other swing voters steered well clear of this hot button issue that would clearly lose them votes (see almost every Dem presidential candidate up to and including 2008).  They hoped it would just go away, and these 'extremists' would please stop embarrassing them and the party.

Had the relevant terms existed back then, you might well have been saying things like "I think that wokeness is terrible and destructive for the country, so of course I want to see its influence gone" in the numerous threads around this forum at the time discussing the creeping spread of gay marriage.  Or if not, and instead you were supportive of the then-fringe position, then once again we see that the methods by which you pick and choose which social issues are "destructive wokeness" and which are perfectly fine and normal are completely arbitrary and frankly anybody's guess.

I'm supportive of a lot of fringe positions. What I don't want is for politicians to jump the gun on fringe issues and destroy all of the left's credibility on something before its time has come. I can't tell you what the alternate history would be, but it's very possible that had Democrats made SSM part of their platform in the 2000s they would've blown more elections, never gotten those Obama judges, and we still would only have same sex marriage in a minority of states. And for what? Just so that there'd be "visibility" in the Democratic platform? That's useless. You're playing games with people's lives here. If Democrats dying on the hill of drag performances in libraries (not even just defending their right to speak, but defending it as some objective good) ends up erasing progress on LGBT issues, then that's bad. Gay people don't need Democrats' endorsements, they don't need Democrats to be their friend or publicly vouch for them, they just need Democrats to appoint liberal judges and get whatever anti-discrimination legislation through congress & legislatures as they can. I would have hoped that the current Supreme Court would've made that clearer than ever, but apparently the left still doesn't get it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2022, 10:51:28 PM »

Imagine being such a sensitive snowflake that you are offended by a dude in a dress reading to kids.

There are certain things that are inappropriate and should not be funded through taxpayer money

Explain to me, what the fundamental difference is between a man in a dress reading a book to kids and a woman in a dress reading a book to kids? What specifically makes it inappropriate, other than men usually not wearing dresses?
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2022, 10:58:47 PM »

Imagine being such a sensitive snowflake that you are offended by a dude in a dress reading to kids.

There are certain things that are inappropriate and should not be funded through taxpayer money

Explain to me, what the fundamental difference is between a man in a dress reading a book to kids and a woman in a dress reading a book to kids? What specifically makes it inappropriate, other than men usually not wearing dresses?

The fundamental difference is the penis and testicles under the dress.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2022, 11:02:41 PM »

Lol are you under the impression that they don't wear underwear?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2022, 11:03:57 PM »

I imagine vaginas aren't very child friendly either. Luckily these book readings aren't done in the nude.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2022, 11:26:59 PM »

Drag Queen is not the same as a costume
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2022, 11:35:08 PM »

tbf when the left thinks shows where scantily clad drag queens are dancing in front of a sign saying "it's not gonna lick itself!" is completely appropriate for kids, you really can't blame Republicans for having an issue with this.

same when there is photo and video evidence of inappropriate behavior happening at Drag Queen Story Hour, and their inability to screen their volunteers that had previous convictions regarding sex related crimes involving children and stopping them from being exposed to kids in the first place.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2022, 12:37:04 AM »

Lol are you under the impression that they don't wear underwear?

I've met enough drag queens to know that a drag queen going commando is not out of the question, although it's not exactly standard practice either. But then, the same can be said of gender-conforming cis people.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2022, 10:14:42 AM »

Just so everybody is 100% clear, the reason the Republicans like OSR who aren't blatant bigots hate this is that they genuinely believe that society forcing cisgenderism and brainwashing kids with it is objectively morally good, and anything else is bad. They typically equate "not forcing cisgenderism on kids" with "encouraging kids to become trans". In other words, just treating kids like kids without trying to push them into a certain gender mindset is completely and totally unacceptable for Republicans. You MUST do your part to raise a generation of cisgender kids, or you're an enemy of society.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2022, 10:40:04 AM »

Just so everybody is 100% clear, the reason the Republicans like OSR who aren't blatant bigots hate this is that they genuinely believe that society forcing cisgenderism and brainwashing kids with it is objectively morally good, and anything else is bad. They typically equate "not forcing cisgenderism on kids" with "encouraging kids to become trans". In other words, just treating kids like kids without trying to push them into a certain gender mindset is completely and totally unacceptable for Republicans. You MUST do your part to raise a generation of cisgender kids, or you're an enemy of society.

No, your side encourages kids to become trans and calls it "not forcing cisgenderism on kids," which is an absurd concept since boys generally don't need to be forced to be boys, nor do girls need to be forced to be girls.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2022, 10:43:14 AM »

No, your side encourages kids to become trans and calls it "not forcing cisgenderism on kids," which is an absurd concept since boys generally don't need to be forced to be boys, nor do girls need to be forced to be girls.
It’s always projection with you guys isn’t it?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »

I've also made it clear that regardless of partisan politics I think that wokeness is terrible and destructive for the country, so of course I want to see its influence gone.

People here know that I'm fairly anti-woke (within reason), but Republican policies are 100x worse for America than Woke Twitter. It isn't even close.

I know, that's why I'm so disgusted when college-educated people ruin the left's reputation and risk losing elections to Republicans just so they can die on the hill of woke BS.

Define?

15 years ago, equal marriage was seen as 'PC bs'. A vote loser. A distraction.

And yet we still managed to get there, didn't we?

We got there by ignoring your advice to let Republicans control the narrative.

Oh no, not at all. It's possible that we never would've gotten gay marriage if the left and Democrats were doing what they do now.
Sorry Dale but your arguments here are coming off a nostalgia bias as alot of what you are saying the left is doing wrong here to alienate people on trans issues is the exact same arguments people were saying they did wrong 15 years ago on gay rights 

Before that it was civil rights, before that 
Womens right to vote, etc. same arguments regurgitated.

Imagine equating Drag Queen Story Hour in Libraries on the Public Dime to Women's Suffrage.

Imagine equating Drag Queen Story Hour in Libraries on the Public Dime to LGBT rights.

Just declare Drag Queen Story Hour to be a religion - then Republicans will be fine with it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2022, 10:54:03 AM »

You are wrong in 99.99% of cases, and you won't have proof to back up your claims. Telling kids that it's okay to be who they feel they are isn't the same as taking kids who aren't questioning these kinds of things and pushing them in a certain direction.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »

You are wrong in 99.99% of cases, and you won't have proof to back up your claims. Telling kids that it's okay to be who they feel are isn't the same as taking kids who aren't questioning these kinds of things and pushing them in a certain direction.

But your side does do that. Or, wants to do that, if they're not able to already. Your side has said in plain English that that is a goal of theirs.

There's never any mechanism for selectively giving attention to the (tiny minority of) kids who are confused. It's just, "drag story hour is for everyone!" and "Pride parades with twigs and berries hanging out are for everyone!"

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »

On top of everything else I am, once again, wondering how common this actually is. I've spent most of my life in very socially liberal parts of the country, I often go to the library, and I have never happened upon one of these events or even seen one advertised. Is it a big-cities-only thing?
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2022, 11:36:56 AM »

Man, I ing wish kids were being encouraged to become trans. If I was encouraged to become trans, if society hadn't fed my generation so many toxic ideas about gender (the same ideas that have been fed to every generation, with only a select few trying to override them), maybe I would actually look like a woman, or sound like a woman, or feel like I'm not just a fake who's ruining it for everybody else.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »

On top of everything else I am, once again, wondering how common this actually is. I've spent most of my life in very socially liberal parts of the country, I often go to the library, and I have never happened upon one of these events or even seen one advertised. Is it a big-cities-only thing?

It's only really known about in wider circles because right wing Twitter accounts post details online. A number of them take place in smaller communities where there is (or was) openness to them and a more than sizable number of queer families.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2022, 02:19:48 PM »

But your side does do that. Or, wants to do that, if they're not able to already. Your side has said in plain English that that is a goal of theirs

Where did we say this?
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2022, 02:31:29 PM »

But your side does do that. Or, wants to do that, if they're not able to already. Your side has said in plain English that that is a goal of theirs

Where did we say this?

There's one example just two posts before yours.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2022, 02:34:53 PM »

It's only really known about in wider circles because right wing Twitter accounts post details online. A number of them take place in smaller communities where there is (or was) openness to them and a more than sizable number of queer families.

🙄🙄

The number of people out there who were pro gay rights but now suddenly aren't is miniscule, and dwarved by the number of people who've grown more accepting over the past decade or so. Quit with the dramatics.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2022, 04:27:16 PM »

But your side does do that. Or, wants to do that, if they're not able to already. Your side has said in plain English that that is a goal of theirs.

Outside of a few extremists on Twitter, and Peebs a few posts above me, 98 or 99% of leftists do not do that or want that done. This is a fringe minority that the right wing is hyper-focused on. Most people just want gay kids to be gay and sraight kids to be straight, same for cis and trans, without schools trying to push them to be any particular way.

There's never any mechanism for selectively giving attention to the (tiny minority of) kids who are confused. It's just, "drag story hour is for everyone!" and "Pride parades with twigs and berries hanging out are for everyone!"

Kids being exposed to Pride parades and drag queens once in a while doesn't push them to be gay or trans. If your kid is occasionally exposed to jewish people, that isn't "pushing your kid to be jewish". You seem to believe that kids need to be sheltered from the real world or else they'll all want to be gay and trans. That's not really how it works, but even if it did, that isn't pushing a kid in a certain direction.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2022, 04:36:16 PM »

The stuff I say about what goes on in schools does not come from Fox News it comes from multiple people I know who are teachers .
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2022, 04:40:43 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2022, 04:44:03 PM by 7,052,770 »

The stuff I say about what goes on in schools does not come from Fox News it comes from multiple people I know who are teachers .

However it's anecdotal, and there's no guarantee that it's representative of your whole city, much less state or country, nor free from the biases of whoever told the stories to you.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »

Kids being exposed to Pride parades and drag queens once in a while doesn't push them to be gay or trans. If your kid is occasionally exposed to jewish people, that isn't "pushing your kid to be jewish". You seem to believe that kids need to be sheltered from the real world or else they'll all want to be gay and trans. That's not really how it works, but even if it did, that isn't pushing a kid in a certain direction.

Public Schools or anything publicly funded under no circumstances should expose kids to drag queens . Anyway schools need permission slips to take kids to field trips and they should require to take them to any rally/protest even those climate change ones .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2022, 04:46:15 PM »

However it's anecdotal, and there's no guarantee that it's representative of your whole city, much less state or country, nor free from the biases of whoever told the stories to you.

Well then you should have no problem banning certain things from being done in public schools then . If it doesn’t happen or is extremely rare then banning it wouldn’t change much so there is no harm in banning it .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies