Why are Republicans so obsessed with drag queens right now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 04:45:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are Republicans so obsessed with drag queens right now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Why are Republicans so obsessed with drag queens right now?  (Read 4827 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2022, 02:26:19 AM »

Uh, lol, ok then.  I'll keep that hilarious double standard in mind next time I engage with you.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2022, 02:35:26 AM »

Uh, lol, ok then.  I'll keep that hilarious double standard in mind next time I engage with you.

How is it a double standard?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2022, 03:11:03 AM »

Roll Eyes  Seriously?

When the right initiates a new culture war frontline, you want the left to sit back and essentially surrender the narrative entirely.  When the left initiates a new culture war, you want them to be exterminated.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2022, 03:23:36 AM »

I didn't say anything about surrendering the narrative. (If anything, stooping to the right's level and engaging with it on their terms is surrendering the narrative to the right.) I said that the left needs to stop fighting losing battles at the expense of being able to win elections. Wokeness is another one of those losing battles, and since it's a much worse issue for them even than the children's drag shows, Democrats would be wise to completely and ruthlessly kick all of it out of the party.

I've also made it clear that regardless of partisan politics I think that wokeness is terrible and destructive for the country, so of course I want to see its influence gone.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2022, 06:44:35 AM »

I've also made it clear that regardless of partisan politics I think that wokeness is terrible and destructive for the country, so of course I want to see its influence gone.

People here know that I'm fairly anti-woke (within reason), but Republican policies are 100x worse for America than Woke Twitter. It isn't even close.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2022, 06:52:31 AM »

The problem I have with your argument here Dale is what exactly does “pick your battles” mean in this context? Does it mean to simply to ignore all this “drag queens and gay teachers talking sex to kids” stuff the right is pushing? Because if so you are seriously not giving enough credence to the fact alot of this outrage is bad faith cover and the political actions the right is taking over the outrage is main at curtailing gay rights in general. So if the left disarms on this there is a serious risk to basic gay rights being undermined here
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2022, 07:08:25 AM »

People here know that I'm fairly anti-woke (within reason), but Republican policies are 100x worse for America than Woke Twitter. It isn't even close.

I know, that's why I'm so disgusted when college-educated people ruin the left's reputation and risk losing elections to Republicans just so they can die on the hill of woke BS.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2022, 07:37:41 AM »

Because they have no place in chidren's activities in the publicly funded or publicly supported sphere.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2022, 07:38:44 AM »

I know, that's why I'm so disgusted when college-educated people ruin the left's reputation and risk losing elections to Republicans just so they can die on the hill of woke BS.

Define?

15 years ago, equal marriage was seen as 'PC bs'. A vote loser. A distraction.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2022, 08:10:35 AM »

Define?

And yet we still managed to get there, didn't we?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2022, 03:10:38 PM »

Define?

We got there by ignoring your advice to let Republicans control the narrative.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2022, 05:07:52 PM »

Define?

Oh no, not at all. It's possible that we never would've gotten gay marriage if the left and Democrats were doing what they do now.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2022, 05:39:48 PM »

Define?

Oh no, not at all. It's possible that we never would've gotten gay marriage if the left and Democrats were doing what they do now.
Sorry Dale but your arguments here are coming off a nostalgia bias as alot of what you are saying the left is doing wrong here to alienate people on trans issues is the exact same arguments people were saying they did wrong 15 years ago on gay rights 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »

Define?

Sorry Dale but your arguments here are coming off a nostalgia bias as alot of what you are saying the left is doing wrong here to alienate people on trans issues is the exact same arguments people were saying they did wrong 15 years ago on gay rights 

Before that it was civil rights, before that 
Womens right to vote, etc. same arguments regurgitated.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2022, 06:36:43 PM »

Define?

You just completely missed afleitch's point, and now aren't making any sense at all.  His point was that gay marriage was back then a fringe position being espoused and implemented by "liberal extremists" in a small handful of the bluest states.  He's right, and he and I both remember very well that large swathes of moderate Dems and other swing voters steered well clear of this hot button issue that would clearly lose them votes (see almost every Dem presidential candidate up to and including 2008).  They hoped it would just go away, and these 'extremists' would please stop embarrassing them and the party.

Had the relevant terms existed back then, you might well have been saying things like "I think that wokeness is terrible and destructive for the country, so of course I want to see its influence gone" in the numerous threads around this forum at the time discussing the creeping spread of gay marriage.  Or if not, and instead you were supportive of the then-fringe position, then once again we see that the methods by which you pick and choose which social issues are "destructive wokeness" and which are perfectly fine and normal are completely arbitrary and frankly anybody's guess.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2022, 06:46:14 PM »

Define?

Gay marriage never involved changing yourself biologically.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2022, 06:57:53 PM »

Define?

Imagine equating Drag Queen Story Hour in Libraries on the Public Dime to Women's Suffrage.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »

Define?

Imagine equating Drag Queen Story Hour in Libraries on the Public Dime to Women's Suffrage.

Imagine equating Drag Queen Story Hour in Libraries on the Public Dime to LGBT rights.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2022, 09:21:29 PM »

Define?

Thanks for proving my point because 15 years ago if someone drew a comparison between civil rights of the 60’s with gay marriage there’d likely be a comment like yours scoffing at the notion because civil rights “never had to do with condoning degeneracy” or something along those lines. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2022, 09:25:04 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 09:29:25 PM by Horus »

Define?

Thanks for proving my point because 15 years ago if someone drew a comparison between civil rights of the 60’s with gay marriage there’d likely be a comment like yours scoffing at the notion because civil rights “never had to do with condoning degeneracy” or something along those lines.  

You do realize I'm gay, right? In fact my first post here was 17 years ago. It was citing a poll that showed how much more popular gay marriage was among the youth than the older generations at the time.

Point is ssm was such (and still is) a winning issue because it involved two consenting adults making a choice together. No surgeries, no open questions about what gender is, no confusing academic reasoning, just two consenting adults in love. Many of the difficult matters relating to trans rights involve a minor making permanent, irreversible changes to their body. So obviously there's going to be more pushback as the two issues have nothing to do with one another.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2022, 09:49:22 PM »

Define?

You do realize I'm gay, right? In fact my first post here was 17 years ago. It was citing a poll that showed how much more popular gay marriage was among the youth than the older generations at the time.

Point is ssm was such (and still is) a winning issue because it involved two consenting adults making a choice together. No surgeries, no open questions about what gender is, no confusing academic reasoning, just two consenting adults in love. Many of the difficult matters relating to trans rights involve a minor making permanent, irreversible changes to their body. So obviously there's going to be more pushback as the two issues have nothing to do with one another.
Yes that’s why I deliberately compared the two as I figured you’d sympathize considering you went through these same hurdles yourself. Also again not even the trans poster here advocate kids getting surgery 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2022, 09:55:08 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 10:02:51 PM by Horus »

Define?

Yes that’s why I deliberately compared the two as I figured you’d sympathize considering you went through these same hurdles yourself. Also again not even the trans poster here advocate kids getting surgery  

The science is not settled on whether hormones, puberty blockers etc are 100% reversible. There have been many issues with bone density and sterility.

When it comes to ssm it's just two adults, in love, signing a contract. Nothing more. The comparison isn't valid. The two matters are in completely separate philosophical realms.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2022, 10:04:10 PM »

Define?

Imagine equating Drag Queen Story Hour in Libraries on the Public Dime to LGBT rights.

Imagine being such a sensitive snowflake that you are offended by a dude in a dress reading to kids.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2022, 10:11:05 PM »

Define?

Imagine being such a sensitive snowflake that you are offended by a dude in a dress reading to kids.

There are certain things that are inappropriate and should not be funded through taxpayer money
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2022, 10:20:07 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2022, 10:24:50 PM by lakeview »

Define?

"If people question the appropriateness of taxpayer-funded institutions hosting events where men in drag read books to little kids, I'm going to call them names" is definitely a winning strategy. /s

And that's probably the answer to the titular question of this thread. Republicans keep pressing the drag queen button because it's pretty much guaranteed to make Democrats say stuff that makes you wonder if they're off their meds.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies