AOC criticizes Democrats for railing against “Latinx”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:08:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC criticizes Democrats for railing against “Latinx”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: AOC criticizes Democrats for railing against “Latinx”  (Read 2514 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 03:21:16 PM »

Lol, I take You Gov and many political surveys and it has Latinx or Latina, I too Spanish in College and it's LATINX

About time somebody said it.  

AOC: if you lose election to Latinx, you should have spent more time talking about healthcare.
Also AOC: I am going to waste time discussing "Latinx" instead of discussing healthcare

Huh
I mean, she "wasted" a whole 30 to 60 seconds tweeting this. To imply that she needed to spend that 60 seconds on healthcare messaging is silly.

Politics in America is marketing.  This is the kind of thing that AOC has allowed herself to become defined by.  She was, at a time, representative of a rebellion against the status quo in Washington.  Now, I'm sure a majority of the country thinks of her as the epitome of the stereotypical out-of-touch Dem. Congress-critter.  That's a big part of what's so disappointing about her current public profile.  
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022, 03:22:48 PM »

So she supports “Latine”.  

I actually think that’s a great solution!
It’s such a better solution on every dimension that it’s existence makes the attacks against “Latinx” much stronger.

The problem with Latine is that

A. It still isn't an actual Spanish word

B. It sounds like a racial slur (Wh*tey, D*rkie)

They call Blks still Negros or Afro Americans some people find that demeaning too, it instead of calling us Colored they call us Negros People of Color
Whoever "they" are should stop calling you "negro(s)". That's not okay anymore.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2022, 03:23:46 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2022, 03:27:49 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Latinx is stupid and the people pushing for it either don't understand how grammatical gender works, or are radicals with a vile agenda in this area, or both. Or, they just want to use the former and/or latter groups for their own political ends.
It's not always easy to tell.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 03:53:12 PM »

🤦🏻‍♀️
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2022, 03:54:02 PM »

“And like it’s almost like it hasn’t struck some of these folks that another person’s identity is not about your re-election prospects,” Ocasio-Cortez said during a video message posted to her Instagram account.

Oh the irony.

Well the overwhelming majority of Latinos call themselves Latinos, not "Latinx," so actually it is you AOC who is attacking far more people's identities.

Also frankly, I care far more about winning elections than I do about anyone's identity or feelings. And, as a Democratic elected politician, so should she. The fact that she doesn't is everything wrong with "identity politics" in a nutshell.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2022, 03:56:32 PM »

I don’t like the germ Latinx but she’s right. It’s not like it’s going to win or loose anybody an election
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 03:57:03 PM »

I don’t like the germ Latinx but she’s right. It’s not like it’s going to win or loose anybody an election

By itself, in a vacuum, MAYBE not. But it certainly doesn't help the bleeding with Latinos generally.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 04:11:49 PM »

The problem with the word is that it harms messaging and outreach overall. True, it's very unlikely some Hispanic is going to hear it, and get angry and then decide to vote Republican. But Democratic outreach to Latino communities matter. This is like the point that Donna Shalala can't speak Spanish, how many voted against her for that alone? Probably not many, but she greatly underperformed Hillary against a Spanish speaking opponent in 2018 and then in 2020 lost against the same opponent even as Biden still carried her district. Just one example involving the worst Democratic elected official of recent memory.

But here's another example involving this directly:

Now to be fair as insanely tone deaf as Abrams can be this wasn't made by her campaign but some third party organization, and is from 2018 when it was arguably maybe not quite as dumb because the backlash wasn't as intense. But regardless...this flyer does not help. It's not the reason she lost and wouldn't be even if Georgia had ad larger Latino population, but why waste time on this type of messaging instead of more effective ones? Also every time some corporation or journalist wonk uses the word on Twitter, the entire meaning of their tweet gets ignored in the comments and just a huge bunch of sh!t throwing over the word happens, which could be easily avoided by just not using it to begin with. So using the word at least muddies the message of what's being said otherwise, which results in weaker campaign messaging, which hurts the campaigns in general.

I think that prominent Democrats and the DNC have woken up to this and there was zero mention of the word at the DFL state convention even at the training workshops I attended on outreach which involved a lot of demographic talk, but they still need to crack down on their woke social media interns like Ruben Gallego did to put the kibosh on this entirely.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2022, 04:42:28 PM »

It’s such a better solution on every dimension that it’s existence makes the attacks against “Latinx” much stronger.

A. Latine originates from actual Spanish-speaking countries and seems to be the preferred term among Hispanics.

B. Only if you have literally zero grasp on how Spanish is pronounced
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 04:43:02 PM »

Can we just call people latin americans and leave it at that ?

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2022, 04:52:46 PM »

Faceplam
MiddleRoad
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2022, 05:00:01 PM »

Definitely wrong on this one!

Luckily she's on the losing end. Like here's from a gay Latino guy from the same borough:

If he’s disagreeing with the regime, then, as your President said “he ain’t (Latino)”
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2022, 05:02:38 PM »

The problem with the word is that it harms messaging and outreach overall. True, it's very unlikely some Hispanic is going to hear it, and get angry and then decide to vote Republican. But Democratic outreach to Latino communities matter. This is like the point that Donna Shalala can't speak Spanish, how many voted against her for that alone? Probably not many, but she greatly underperformed Hillary against a Spanish speaking opponent in 2018 and then in 2020 lost against the same opponent even as Biden still carried her district. Just one example involving the worst Democratic elected official of recent memory.

But here's another example involving this directly:

Now to be fair as insanely tone deaf as Abrams can be this wasn't made by her campaign but some third party organization, and is from 2018 when it was arguably maybe not quite as dumb because the backlash wasn't as intense. But regardless...this flyer does not help. It's not the reason she lost and wouldn't be even if Georgia had ad larger Latino population, but why waste time on this type of messaging instead of more effective ones? Also every time some corporation or journalist wonk uses the word on Twitter, the entire meaning of their tweet gets ignored in the comments and just a huge bunch of sh!t throwing over the word happens, which could be easily avoided by just not using it to begin with. So using the word at least muddies the message of what's being said otherwise, which results in weaker campaign messaging, which hurts the campaigns in general.

I think that prominent Democrats and the DNC have woken up to this and there was zero mention of the word at the DFL state convention even at the training workshops I attended on outreach which involved a lot of demographic talk, but they still need to crack down on their woke social media interns like Ruben Gallego did to put the kibosh on this entirely.

Latina community and latina population. Both those nouns are feminine in Spanish, therefore the grammatial agreement should be in the feminine. If the real concern was being using the correct Spanish grammar then this should really be reflected.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2022, 05:25:48 PM »

AOC: if you lose election to Latinx, you should have spent more time talking about healthcare.
Also AOC: I am going to waste time discussing "Latinx" instead of discussing healthcare

Huh
I mean, she "wasted" a whole 30 to 60 seconds tweeting this. To imply that she needed to spend that 60 seconds on healthcare messaging is silly.

Every second our elected officials spend on Twitter constitutes theft of our tax dollars.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2022, 05:27:32 PM »

Huh

Every second our elected officials spend on Twitter constitutes theft of our tax dollars.
That isn't a reasonable position.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »

Huh

It was a newsworthy/viral video that is now associated with her image/brand. The fewer of these distractions she has, the more she can be associated with single-payer. Instead, she churns out this BS and is associated with the BS.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2022, 05:54:57 PM »

A. Latine originates from actual Spanish-speaking countries and seems to be the preferred term among Hispanics.

I was so crestfallen to see someone responded to this before I did. Lmao, imagine being an American in the twenty-first century and thinking "e" in Spanish is pronounced like "ie"/"ey" in English.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »

Hasn't polling shown that "Hispanic" is actually the preferred term of self-identification for a plurality (if not a majority) of people with South/Latin American heritage? Which is also conveniently gender-neutral to stymie this debate?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2022, 06:02:26 PM »

I was so crestfallen to see someone responded to this before I did. Lmao, imagine being an American in the twenty-first century and thinking "e" in Spanish is pronounced like "ie"/"ey" in English.

I know that you can't expect people to pronounce foreign words perfectly, but it is kind of sad that a nice five-vowel system like Spanish gets absolutely massacred by English speakers.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2022, 06:08:46 PM »

I know that you can't expect people to pronounce foreign words perfectly, but it is kind of sad that a nice five-vowel system like Spanish gets absolutely massacred by English speakers.

Oon keisadila, pore fei-vur!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2022, 06:10:18 PM »

My beautiful latino boyfriend is a Mexican nationalist who purposes tans to hide his largely European ancestry and keep his skin nice and BROWN.

He is even one of those types who constantly criticizes the United States and always speaks how great Mexico is.  But of course wants to stay here.

Still, he hates the term Latinx.

Even if he is very woke and liberal.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »

When has this ever been the case? The gender-neutral word for Latino has always been Latino. And like other non-gendered nouns in Spanish, it follows the same grammar rules as masculine nouns do.

Also, nouns ending in -e are almost always masculine.

Hasn't polling shown that "Hispanic" is actually the preferred term of self-identification for a plurality (if not a majority) of people with South/Latin American heritage? Which is also conveniently gender-neutral to stymie this debate?

"Hispanic" only refers to people from Spanish-speaking countries. That is why Spaniards are called Hispanic but Brazilians are not.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2022, 06:13:51 PM »

My beautiful latino boyfriend is a Mexican nationalist who purposes tans to hide his largely European ancestry and keep his skin nice and BROWN.

He is even one of those types who constantly criticizes the United States and always speaks how great Mexico is.  But of course wants to stay here.

Still, he hates the term Latinx.

Even if he is very woke and liberal.

Whats wrong with white skin?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2022, 06:53:40 PM »

I don't know why some posters need multiple paragraphs to explain why continuing to give the impression that the party is run by overbearing, snobby White Saviors doesn't help the Democrats with minority communities.   
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2022, 07:12:13 PM »

Huh

That's why I'm thankful that the Atlas English and Spanish Language Academy is privately run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies