AOC criticizes Democrats for railing against “Latinx”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:44:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC criticizes Democrats for railing against “Latinx”
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: AOC criticizes Democrats for railing against “Latinx”  (Read 2512 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2022, 01:36:30 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-cortez-mini-rant-criticizes-175845871.html

I also have a mini-rant about this because there are some politicians, including Democratic politicians, that rail against the term ‘Latinx.’ And they’re like, ‘this is so bad, this is so bad for the party,’ like blah blah blah.

“And like it’s almost like it hasn’t struck some of these folks that another person’s identity is not about your re-election prospects,” Ocasio-Cortez said during a video message posted to her Instagram account.

Gender is fluid, language is fluid, and I think people right now are using the ‘e’ term as gender-neutral in order to be as inclusive as possible. Don’t have to make drama over it.

Lol hopefully this helps continue to accelerate the trend of more and more Hispanics voting Republican 
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 01:44:19 PM »

Well gender isn’t really fluid, and I guess you should respect the rules, structures and grammar of a language if you actually want to be inclusive. Not very good points here
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 01:52:46 PM »

Well gender isn’t really fluid, and I guess you should respect the rules, structures and grammar of a language if you actually want to be inclusive. Not very good points here

Correct, it's a spectrum. But Yahoo news pretty bottom of the barrel as far as people knowing what they're talking about.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 01:58:33 PM »

If Democrats are criticizing individuals for identifying themselves as Latinx, then I agree with AOC. It's no one's business if someone wants to use that term. But if Democrats are criticizing people who aren't Latino for using it as a way of being politically correct, then I'm with those Democrats on this one.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 01:58:51 PM »

So she supports “Latine”.  

I actually think that’s a great solution!
It’s such a better solution on every dimension that it’s existence makes the attacks against “Latinx” much stronger.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 02:00:45 PM »

Is BRTD going to turn against AOC now?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 02:01:16 PM »

Definitely wrong on this one!

Luckily she's on the losing end. Like here's from a gay Latino guy from the same borough:

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 02:03:15 PM »

Just call people Latin Americans.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 02:05:08 PM »

AOC is an idiot.  In other news, water is still wet.  All that and more at 11:00!
Leo
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-cortez-mini-rant-criticizes-175845871.html

I also have a mini-rant about this because there are some politicians, including Democratic politicians, that rail against the term ‘Latinx.’ And they’re like, ‘this is so bad, this is so bad for the party,’ like blah blah blah.

“And like it’s almost like it hasn’t struck some of these folks that another person’s identity is not about your re-election prospects,” Ocasio-Cortez said during a video message posted to her Instagram account.

Gender is fluid, language is fluid, and I think people right now are using the ‘e’ term as gender-neutral in order to be as inclusive as possible. Don’t have to make drama over it.

Lol hopefully this helps continue to accelerate the trend of more and more Hispanics voting Republican  

That rant and a national average gas price of $4.86 existed at the same time.  I want you to think about that for a minute.

Can we sticky this thread and come back in Nov after the election when the Dem circular firing squad is getting into formation?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 02:13:21 PM »

I don't even really care about the term, but this woman really is a dogged minority-rule authoritarian.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »

It’s such a better solution on every dimension that it’s existence makes the attacks against “Latinx” much stronger.

Neither should be used in a general context. Id probably use latine in the specific context of a non binary person if they ask. Using the x is nothing but pure attention seeking .
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »

AOC: if you lose election to Latinx, you should have spent more time talking about healthcare.
Also AOC: I am going to waste time discussing "Latinx" instead of discussing healthcare

Huh
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »

This is dumb, but I really don't think a significant number of Latinos who would've otherwise voted Democratic are going to vote Republican because of this.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 02:35:22 PM »

This is dumb, but I really don't think a significant number of Latinos who would've otherwise voted Democratic are going to vote Republican because of this.

Obviously, but some of the users on here have chronic Dems in Disarray brain and think otherwise.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2022, 02:38:06 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2022, 02:39:06 PM »

This specific point is not going to really change voters' minds, but it points to the reality that Democrats now are very out of touch with the concerns of the Latino community. Now does that mean Republicans are in touch with them? Probably not, but it will make it much harder for Democrats to retain their hold on the Latino vote long-term.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2022, 02:44:18 PM »

AOC should probably just keep her opinion to herself for political reasons on this issue.
Churro
Rookie
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 02:46:08 PM »

Please democrats. Run on this nationwide and call everyone who doesn't like it a racist xenophobic heteronormative bigot.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »

Please democrats. Run on this nationwide and call everyone who doesn't like it a racist xenophobic heteronormative bigot.

AOC and this forum are literally the ONLY places I even see this coming up in the first place.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2022, 03:09:13 PM »

THIS is what finally inspires AOC to really get heated at the Democrat establishment ass that she kisses all the time?  I cannot believe the working class candidacy of AOC and the hope she inspired on the left has turned into this tone-deaf dreck.  

Wait... yes I can.  This is America.  But it is still disappointing.  Anyway, may she continue to have a fine career posting Instagram stories, going on tangents about "social issues" that 1 out of every 1,000 people give even half of a **** about, and being a fearless warrior for the pet issues of 250 perpetually-offended and terminally-online Zoomer college students.  
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »

The problem with Latine is that

A. It still isn't an actual Spanish word

B. It sounds like a racial slur (Wh*tey, D*rkie)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 03:14:28 PM »

AOC: if you lose election to Latinx, you should have spent more time talking about healthcare.
Also AOC: I am going to waste time discussing "Latinx" instead of discussing healthcare

Huh
I mean, she "wasted" a whole 30 to 60 seconds tweeting this. To imply that she needed to spend that 60 seconds on healthcare messaging is silly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 03:17:51 PM »

Lol, I take You Gov and many political surveys and it has Latinx or Latina, I took Spanish in College and it's LATINX
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2022, 03:20:27 PM »

The problem with Latine is that

A. It still isn't an actual Spanish word

B. It sounds like a racial slur (Wh*tey, D*rkie)

They call Blks still Negros or Afro Americans some people find that demeaning too, it instead of calling us Colored they call us Negros People of Color

Oh, instead of calling us by name they call us person of color or Biggy if you are fat but they bet never call obese whites biggy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies