Masks are back in Alameda County
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:33:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Masks are back in Alameda County
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Masks are back in Alameda County  (Read 2185 times)
CityByTheValley
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2022, 09:32:00 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2022, 09:35:16 PM by CityByTheValley »

More confirmation that absolutely nothing of value would be lost if the Bay Area disappeared tomorrow.

LOL cry about it. I'm fine wearing masks but I don't care whatsoever about other people or their choices. I think you'd find a similar perception among most people in the Bay Area- most people don't actively want mandates, we're just apathetic regarding their existence and will wear our masks if we want to anyway. Unless you're a nutter who thinks it's bad anyone wears a mask at all I don't think people here are wildly different from the rest of the country in terms of actively wanting mandates and restrictions.

Minneapolis has like maybe 20% of people wearing masks and even amongst Asians it's at best half. I've said before that the most masked demographic here isn't even Asians but rather white teenage girls. Weird.

Maybe a difference in type of Asian? Most Asians in MN are Hmong I believe which may not be comparable to the heavy Indian/Chinese/Vietnamese crowd here. Most white people here also still wear masks, but at noticeably lower rate than Asians.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2022, 09:49:27 PM »

The Berkeley health department probably has some surprising fans right now.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 11:12:03 PM »

It'll never end, will it?

The fact that unaccountable bureaucrats have so much power is a problem in itself.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2022, 11:57:12 PM »

Take ya masks off assholes!!

Fire fauci now!!!
Fauci has nothing to do with this dude.

“Fire fauci” is probably what jimmie says when he stubs his toe at this point.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 12:16:04 AM »

They're coming back because we're dealing with the most contagious variant yet, even more contagious than vanilla BA.2. But it's thankfully not more deadly (yet).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2022, 12:16:15 AM »

There needs to be a federal law banning mask mandates (except in limited cases like medical offices that could have to treat the disease and long term care facilities).

Won't get 60.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2022, 01:23:41 AM »

Nobody wears masks anymore.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2022, 10:19:32 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2022, 10:23:00 AM by Horus »

Yeah, at Kroger yesterday mask wearing was under 10%, and this was in a 90% Biden neighborhood in an 83% Biden county. COVID is endemic plus it's too damn hot.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2022, 10:36:58 AM »

Democrats really love that mask mandate version of Hokey Pokey.
Is that why no other county in the country has a mandate including tons of other Democratic-ran ones?

Wow, clearly my county is unique. Only county out of 3000+ to have this mandate in the country? That is impressive, I must say.

Don't appreciate the jibe at Alameda County. We are one of the best counties in the nation. No more deriding Alameda County in front of me unless you'd like Herkimer County derided right back.

RIP to Barbara Lee, Eric Swalwell and Ro Khanna in November. Cry

I know you're being sarcastic but a.) I don't see how the mask mandate is because of them and b.) they come from 90% and 70% Democratic seats, so if they lose to anybody, it'll be another Democrat anyway.

Fire fauci now!!!

a.) As BRTD said - lol this has nothing to do with Fauci
b.) I thought you were for people personally deciding if they wanted to wear a mask or not? This seems anethmatic to that, no?

It's honestly pretty funny seeing people outside the Bay Area acting as if people here will riot over these measures. Many people are already adhering to masking still almost everywhere; I went to the DMV today and I'd say >75% including myself were already wearing masks despite mandates having ended months ago. The mandate doesn't cover the gym anyway so I personally don't think it's nearly as egregious as it used to be last year and prior. I usually only don't wear masks indoors when I forget them or when I'm at the gym regardless, so if Santa Clara County followed suit and implemented a mandate I wouldn't particularly care nor would a large segment of the population here. The truth is this area has a significant Asian population that is more than willing to follow mask mandates so you don't see much opposition as you would in similar areas politics-wise.

This is true. I'll be honest when I say I don't see very many people wear masks here in Alameda, but we are very law-and-order type and there will be little to no backlash to the mandate. A few people will obviously flout it but wearing a mask doesn't really matter to most of us. And once again - it doesn't apply to schools, so the main argument I've seen anti-maskers make doesn't apply here.

It's honestly pretty funny seeing people outside the Bay Area acting as if people here will riot over these measures. Many people are already adhering to masking still almost everywhere; I went to the DMV today and I'd say >75% including myself were already wearing masks despite mandates having ended months ago. The mandate doesn't cover the gym anyway so I personally don't think it's nearly as egregious as it used to be last year and prior. I usually only don't wear masks indoors when I forget them or when I'm at the gym regardless, so if Santa Clara County followed suit and implemented a mandate I wouldn't particularly care nor would a large segment of the population here. The truth is this area has a significant Asian population that is more than willing to follow mask mandates so you don't see much opposition as you would in similar areas politics-wise.

More confirmation that absolutely nothing of value would be lost if the Bay Area disappeared tomorrow.

The Bay Area has a great deal to offer, actually. This post demonstrates your ignorance on the region.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2022, 02:08:41 PM »

I know you're being sarcastic but a.) I don't see how the mask mandate is because of them and b.) they come from 90% and 70% Democratic seats, so if they lose to anybody, it'll be another Democrat anyway.

"I know it's a joke, but I don't understand why the chicken cannot cross the road without having its motivations called into question."
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2022, 02:19:36 PM »

Mask mandates mean nothing if not implemented nation-wide
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »

Yeah, at Kroger yesterday mask wearing was under 10%, and this was in a 90% Biden neighborhood in an 83% Biden county. COVID is endemic plus it's too damn hot.
I saw between 50 and 80% of people wearing masks in every place I've been the past few weeks. Clearly the area you're living isn't 90% Biden because of liberals.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2022, 05:21:07 PM »

I shop at the Kroger in Bellevue, Ky., almost every day, and it's down to maybe 5% there. Sometimes at restaurants it's 0%.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2022, 05:54:14 PM »

Not surprised considering how hysterical the whole area is over something that is at this point endemic.

Dad insists I get tested again because I didn't wear a mask on a plane flight [nor did anyone].

It was strange that announcement was at 7 pm yesterday.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2022, 06:15:33 PM »

I saw between 50 and 80% of people wearing masks in every place I've been the past few weeks. Clearly the area you're living isn't 90% Biden because of liberals.

Less than 20% of people in super liberal Portland wear masks now days
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »

Is that why no other county in the country has a mandate including tons of other Democratic-ran ones?

Not entirely for lack of trying - remember the weird fiasco in Philadelphia recently?

Well, that's two counties. So again the point remains grossly overstated by Waldo per usual.

The only proper response to this news article is a shrug, or even a yawn.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2022, 09:02:41 PM »

Eugene is the same way. I was a little surprised at first how few people were wearing them.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2022, 09:44:18 PM »

Even most Asian people don’t mask anymore where I live in New Jersey. The only maskers I usually see are African American women between the ages of 30 and 65 and White women under the age of 35.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2022, 12:25:11 AM »

Wow, clearly my county is unique. Only county out of 3000+ to have this mandate in the country? That is impressive, I must say.

Don't appreciate the jibe at Alameda County. We are one of the best counties in the nation. No more deriding Alameda County in front of me unless you'd like Herkimer County derided right back.

Fire fauci now!!!

b.) I thought you were for people personally deciding if they wanted to wear a mask or not? This seems anethmatic to that, no?

This is true. I'll be honest when I say I don't see very many people wear masks here in Alameda, but we are very law-and-order type and there will be little to no backlash to the mandate. A few people will obviously flout it but wearing a mask doesn't really matter to most of us. And once again - it doesn't apply to schools, so the main argument I've seen anti-maskers make doesn't apply here.

The Bay Area has a great deal to offer, actually. This post demonstrates your ignorance on the region.
Why should we be mandating masks due to an endemic for which there are already vaccines and boosters for? I have nothing against the residents of Alameda County, but I do have something against the unelected bureaucrats who care more about shoving their power down peoples' throats rather than let them make their own decisions. Mask mandates were necessary pre-vaccination, but at this point, it is frankly ridiculous.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2022, 02:15:43 AM »

Fire fauci now!!!

Why should we be mandating masks due to an endemic for which there are already vaccines and boosters for? I have nothing against the residents of Alameda County, but I do have something against the unelected bureaucrats who care more about shoving their power down peoples' throats rather than let them make their own decisions. Mask mandates were necessary pre-vaccination, but at this point, it is frankly ridiculous.

Relax, it was not really a serious post (though I don't take too kindly to having my county abused, so let's keep that to a minimum). I also agree a mask mandate seems a little...archaic at this point. I doubt it will impact many people's behaviours one way or another. My family wears a mask when it makes sense to - when there are a lot of people and we aren't eating any food - and we don't when it's not really necessary/sensible. I don't see this mask mandate really changing that.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2022, 04:03:46 AM »

Clearly you haven't left your house in months.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2022, 04:43:36 AM »

Depends on the area here. In the more liberal towns masking is more 50/50 and even then it's mostly among Asians and olds.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »

Even most Asian people don’t mask anymore where I live in New Jersey. The only maskers I usually see are African American women between the ages of 30 and 65 and White women under the age of 35.

This is in line with what I see in Cleveland. I can't think of anywhere outside of institutional settings where mask-wearing is over 10% anymore, but to the extent that people are still participating, the demographics here line up with your observations in NJ.

Pretty obvious sign it's a quasi-religion/fad when it stops at demographic lines like this.

Alameda County is mandating participation in a fad by executive order. They look like clowns.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2022, 11:16:16 AM »

This is in line with what I see in Cleveland. I can't think of anywhere outside of institutional settings where mask-wearing is over 10% anymore, but to the extent that people are still participating, the demographics here line up with your observations in NJ.

Pretty obvious sign it's a quasi-religion/fad when it stops at demographic lines like this.

Alameda County is mandating participation in a fad by executive order. They look like clowns.
I agree about mask wearing becoming like a quasi-religion/fad for many on the left. Probably the most fervent pro mask sentiments I see are from the usual COVID doctors like Eric Feigl Ding, Yaneer Bar-Yam, Anthony Leonardi, Peter Hotez, and Jonathan Reiner as well as from Twitter accounts like Mandate Masks NY, Chad Dingus, Permanent Social Distancing Advocate, Double Masked Triple Vaxxed, and Vincent #ZeroCOVID.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2022, 11:28:33 AM »

If the Republican wave gets big enough, there is a chance that all three will lose re-election, particularly Eric Swalwell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies