Masks are back in Alameda County
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Masks are back in Alameda County
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Masks are back in Alameda County  (Read 2175 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2022, 05:28:44 PM »

https://www.ktvu.com/news/alameda-county-requiring-masks-indoors-again

"Rising COVID cases in Alameda County are now leading to more people being hospitalized and today’s action reflects the seriousness of the moment," said Alameda County Health Officer Dr. Nicholas Moss. "We cannot ignore the data, and we can’t predict when this wave may end. Putting our masks back on gives us the best opportunity to limit the impact of a prolonged wave on our communities."

The mask mandate also applies to government offices, healthcare facilities, shelters and rideshare services like Lyft and Uber, among others.

The mask mandate does not apply to K-12 schools that are finishing the 2021-2022 school year. But masks will be mandatory in other settings for children, such as daycare centers and summer school classrooms.

Berkeley is also excluded from the mask requirement because that city operates an independent health department.

What a weird thing to do now.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 05:29:55 PM »

The state of California.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 05:31:10 PM »

Gross.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 05:34:48 PM »

Great news.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »

I live in Alameda County. I'm glad that unlike a majority of the county, they care less about the country's mood and more about the science. Whenever it made sense to, we've repealed mask mandates. Right now, having reviewed the science and noted the rising cases, they've chosen to respond to that by temporarily putting back mask mandates. And these mandates don't even apply to K-12 students, which is what most of you have been complaining about. So I don't see the problem here at all.
Waldo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 05:39:56 PM »

Democrats really love that mask mandate version of Hokey Pokey.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 05:56:07 PM »

There needs to be a federal law banning mask mandates (except in limited cases like medical offices that could have to treat the disease and long term care facilities).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 05:58:17 PM »

Is that why no other county in the country has a mandate including tons of other Democratic-ran ones?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 05:58:50 PM »

Hilarious County
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 06:00:01 PM »

Is that why no other county in the country has a mandate including tons of other Democratic-ran ones?

Not entirely for lack of trying - remember the weird fiasco in Philadelphia recently?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »

RIP to Barbara Lee, Eric Swalwell and Ro Khanna in November. Cry
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 06:04:38 PM »

Take ya masks off assholes!!

Fire fauci now!!!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 06:06:11 PM »

Not entirely for lack of trying - remember the weird fiasco in Philadelphia recently?
But the fact that only took four days to overturn is proof there's not much demand for the this amongst Democrats. Like Democrats were obviously calling to overturn it instead of support it based on what Philadelphia City Council members were saying.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 06:06:27 PM »

Take ya masks off assholes!!

Fire fauci now!!!
Fauci has nothing to do with this dude.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »

Putting our masks back on gives us the best opportunity to limit the impact of a prolonged wave on our communities.

"our masks"

Eerie stuff.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 06:10:26 PM »

Save their masks for wildfire season.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 06:22:24 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2022, 06:27:42 PM by jimmie »

I give  better medical advice than these health departments.

Only thing I want from California is omicron induced weed
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2022, 06:27:03 PM »

Putting our masks back on gives us the best opportunity to limit the impact of a prolonged wave on our communities.

"our masks"

Eerie stuff.

I feel like a crazy person whenever I mention the not-so-subtle linguistic shift that's occurred over the course of the pandemic from "wear a mask" to "wear your mask." A mask isn't "mine" like my clothes are; it feels more like a hair tie, something disposable that I sometimes have to use for utilitarian reasons rather than something I feel any real sense of ownership over.

I try not to get too conspiratorial about the motivation behind it, but it makes me feel really weird whenever I hear it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 06:28:21 PM »

"our masks"

Eerie stuff.

I feel like a crazy person whenever I mention the not-so-subtle linguistic shift that's occurred over the course of the pandemic from "wear a mask" to "wear your mask." A mask isn't "mine" like my clothes are; it feels more like a hair tie, something disposable that I sometimes have to use for utilitarian reasons rather than something I feel any real sense of ownership over.

I try not to get too conspiratorial about the motivation behind it, but it makes me feel really weird whenever I hear it.

Do not feel bad about BREATHING.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 06:28:50 PM »

I've noticed several people I work with who were late holdouts on masks have dropped them in recent days/weeks.

Seems laughably out of touch for any county to bring a mandate BACK now!
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »

COVID-19 is as common and as severe as the flu, why do it now?
CityByTheValley
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -4.96

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »

It's honestly pretty funny seeing people outside the Bay Area acting as if people here will riot over these measures. Many people are already adhering to masking still almost everywhere; I went to the DMV today and I'd say >75% including myself were already wearing masks despite mandates having ended months ago. The mandate doesn't cover the gym anyway so I personally don't think it's nearly as egregious as it used to be last year and prior. I usually only don't wear masks indoors when I forget them or when I'm at the gym regardless, so if Santa Clara County followed suit and implemented a mandate I wouldn't particularly care nor would a large segment of the population here. The truth is this area has a significant Asian population that is more than willing to follow mask mandates so you don't see much opposition as you would in similar areas politics-wise.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2022, 08:46:15 PM »

It's honestly pretty funny seeing people outside the Bay Area acting as if people here will riot over these measures. Many people are already adhering to masking still almost everywhere; I went to the DMV today and I'd say >75% including myself were already wearing masks despite mandates having ended months ago. The mandate doesn't cover the gym anyway so I personally don't think it's nearly as egregious as it used to be last year and prior. I usually only don't wear masks indoors when I forget them or when I'm at the gym regardless, so if Santa Clara County followed suit and implemented a mandate I wouldn't particularly care nor would a large segment of the population here. The truth is this area has a significant Asian population that is more than willing to follow mask mandates so you don't see much opposition as you would in similar areas politics-wise.

More confirmation that absolutely nothing of value would be lost if the Bay Area disappeared tomorrow.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2022, 08:47:01 PM »

RIP to Barbara Lee, Eric Swalwell and Ro Khanna in November. Cry

Hopefully literally.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »

Minneapolis has like maybe 20% of people wearing masks and even amongst Asians it's at best half. I've said before that the most masked demographic here isn't even Asians but rather white teenage girls. Weird.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies