SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:37:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102578 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: May 05, 2022, 04:55:07 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2022, 06:30:21 PM by Badger »

Everyone does realize that abortion bans typically are supply-side bans by shutting down clinics and punishing providers, not demand-side bans to punish mothers, who were mostly lied to and deceived by the abortion industry, right?

Stop with that paternalistic these poor women don't know what they're doing BS. You act as if the so-called abortion industry is running ads and corrupting these poor diseased women's fragile little Minds rather than making their own choice. Have you ever stepped outside? Have you ever talked to a woman other than your mommy?

Judging from the absolute insanity from you and your ilk, you Chief among them on this forum, about saying too f****** bad if you're a rape victim or an incest victim now that the mask has been removed, I fully anticipate women are going to be prosecuted for aiding and abetting abortions they obtain
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #926 on: May 05, 2022, 05:05:48 PM »

Did not expect Portnoy of all people to say this, but hey.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #927 on: May 05, 2022, 05:15:43 PM »

Did not expect Portnoy of all people to say this, but hey.

Tbh he's just paranoid about accidentally impregnating a girl and having to pay child support.

But hey, if this kind of thing gets people on our side - I won't complain.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #928 on: May 05, 2022, 05:16:38 PM »

I just realized we are almost at page 40 without including the single most important perspective and most conversation transforming media ever on abortion

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #929 on: May 05, 2022, 05:41:26 PM »

Everyone does realize that abortion bans typically are supply-side bans by shutting down clinics and punishing providers, not demand-side bans to punish mothers, who were mostly lied to and deceived by the abortion industry, right?

Is abortion murder? If so, doesn't that make people who get abortions murderers?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #930 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:11 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2022, 08:22:00 PM by Antifacist Ghost of Ruin »

Edit: corrected from url to tweet.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #931 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »

As long as their are exemptions for rape, incest and health of the mother, I am ok with this.

There won't be. Source: Almost every republican in Congress.

Roe v Wade has divided our country for half a century. There is no end on sight. For 40-45% of Americans, no restrictions on abortion is an abomination. That bridge simply can not be built. In states where they are a majority, they should be able to ban it.

This is nonsensical reasoning, as overturning Roe v Wade will have the exact same affect, but will bitterly enrage even more people, as pro-choice people outnumber anti-choice by about 2-1. The correct answer is for people who do not favor abortion to have the freedom to not have one, and people who do favor abortion to have the freedom to have one if they choose. This is called "freedom." Not liking the choices your neighbor makes does not give you a right to stop them or force your will upon them. This is called "democracy." Giving the extreme minority the power to force their beliefs down the majority's throat is without a doubt the dumbest "solution"

We already live in two Americas. People in my state stopped wearing masks a year before some other states. We have to get used to that and focus on things that unite us like passing paid leave or free college.

Everyone in your state did not stop wearing masks altogether, or a year before any other state. Some liberals in your state still wear them while grocery shopping to this day, I guarantee you. Some conservatives in deep blue states never wore them except when they absolutely had to as required by law. Which is besides the point that this little rant has absolutely nothing to do with the abortion debate at all.

Democrats have repeatedly tried to pass paid leave bills and bills funding free community college for all Americans (both of which would cost a fraction of the trump tax scam). I don't know what you're basing your assertion on that these issues "unite us" when republicans opposed them in lockstep.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #932 on: May 05, 2022, 08:12:01 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2022, 08:17:03 PM by Person Man »

“It’s not rape. it’s MY wife!”
I bet he uses the same logic to feel justified when he uses peanut butter to get his dog to lick him in his privates. “It’s not cheating. It’s MY dog!”
Yoda
United States

« Reply #933 on: May 05, 2022, 08:15:05 PM »

Biden states;

Banned - Michigan, Arizona, Georgia.
Restricted - Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Virginia.
Not protected - New Hampshire, New Mexico

SCOTUS just handed Gov. Whitmer and all the other dem candidates in Michigan a huge weapon this November. Whitmer was already taking legal action to strike down Michigan's law from the 1920's b/c she saw this coming. The dem statewide ticket will romp. Thanks to true redistricting reform, they have a shot at taking both houses of the legislature as well.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #934 on: May 05, 2022, 08:18:00 PM »

Biden states;

SCOTUS just handed Gov. Whitmer and all the other dem candidates in Michigan a huge weapon this November. Whitmer was already taking legal action to strike down Michigan's law from the 1920's b/c she saw this coming. The dem statewide ticket will romp. Thanks to true redistricting reform, they have a shot at taking both houses of the legislature as well.

What does “restricted” mean?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #935 on: May 05, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »

Biden states;

Is Michigan really that blue though? Trump did win the state in 2016, and is now voting to right of the national average. I know state races are different, but I don't think Michigan is that pro-choice to the point that Republicans are nearly DOA in a red wave year. Maybe this moves the governor mansion from Lean R to tossup though for now.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #936 on: May 05, 2022, 08:25:08 PM »

Biden states;

Is Michigan really that blue though? Trump did win the state in 2016, and is now voting to right of the national average. I know state races are different, but I don't think Michigan is that pro-choice to the point that Republicans are nearly DOA in a red wave year. Maybe this moves the governor mansion from Lean R to tossup though for now.

I don't know what ever gave you the impression that the governor's race was ever "Lean R" to begin with. Whitmer had a comfortable lead depending on the polling before this.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #937 on: May 05, 2022, 09:32:19 PM »

Wow, The Young Turks are dissatisfied with the Democratic Party? This is a game-changer.

Caught their show literally one time and I have been eternally exhausted with their schtick since.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #938 on: May 05, 2022, 09:55:10 PM »

Wow, The Young Turks are dissatisfied with the Democratic Party? This is a game-changer.

Caught their show literally one time and I have been eternally exhausted with their schtick since.
The way they deliver their message turns people off, and they are 5 to 10 percent too woke for my liking, but honestly, they're right 90 percent of the time IMO.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #939 on: May 05, 2022, 10:02:16 PM »

They have basically told people to vote democratic in the general elections before but this time Ana is basically saying she has given up on congress and Cenk is asking them to stop donating .

Professional online left-liberals are being remarkably hostile to advice to elect Democratic Congresspeople and state officeholders, given that Democratic Congresspeople and state officeholders are the only people in a position to do anything about this. I've seen people attacking Biden in scathing terms for not somehow stopping it singlehandedly, as if he could just order a drone strike on Alito's house or something. Democratic presidency-onlyism is going to be the death of this country.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #940 on: May 05, 2022, 10:06:53 PM »

Jesus Christ, just say "people". "Birthing bodies" appeals to no one.

Or just say women.

That wouldn't be inclusive to trans men or AFAB non-binary people.

Or my hamster who the pet shop told us was a boy and then he haves birth to six baby hamsters

So, not to contribute to the derailing of the thread, but.....Imma contribute to the derailing of the thread.

I'm gonna preclude this story by saying that I'm gay, for whatever that's worth.

A while back I came across a post on tumblr ( I know who uses that s***) from a girl who bred and sold hamsters. She set up a webcam and the hamsters had their own various social media profiles as a way to advertise her business. Every now and then she would notice that she had a gay hamster couple or two among her many, many, many hamsters. She would point this out on a vlog or an instagram post. It was all fun and cute until one day the trans community got wind of her hamsters. The comments this girl got....."HOW DO YOU KNOW THEYRE NOT TRANS HAMSTERS!!!111!!!11" "YOU DONT KNOW THOSE HAMSTERS' PREFERRED PRONOUNS!!11!!"  "YOU'RE A CISGENDERED ANTI-TRANS BIGOT!!11!"

Poor girl explained that she knew they were gay simply b/c they were male hamsters who exclusively hung out with and had sex with each other despite being surrounded by dozens if not hundreds of available female hamsters. This girl got DEATH THREATS.

As a gay man, I really don't like not being on the "side" of an unpopular minority group that the crazed "christian" right bashes for cheap political points, but a certain sector of the trans rights activists community really, desperately needs to stop acting so f****** insane. Their rhetoric is coo coo for cocoa puffs level bats*** nonsense.

Saying "birthing bodies" b/c "women" wouldn't include " trans men or AFAB non-binary people?"

JFC get a goddamn grip. The middle of country is nowhere near this level of pronoun and gender identity.....awareness or whatever it is they want.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #941 on: May 05, 2022, 10:19:54 PM »

how the hell did we get from discussing abortion to arguing over the proper terminology of what to call someone who is trans and pregnant?
This thread is over 30 pages long. This is remarkably on-topic considering that.
Seriously the Georgia run off last year turned into Jon Ossoff gay erotic fanfic by page 15

Wait wut? Really? Damn I need to go check that thread out. He's one handsome guy.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #942 on: May 05, 2022, 11:01:00 PM »

"Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make."

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #943 on: May 05, 2022, 11:59:51 PM »

They have basically told people to vote democratic in the general elections before but this time Ana is basically saying she has given up on congress and Cenk is asking them to stop donating .

Professional online left-liberals are being remarkably hostile to advice to elect Democratic Congresspeople and state officeholders, given that Democratic Congresspeople and state officeholders are the only people in a position to do anything about this. I've seen people attacking Biden in scathing terms for not somehow stopping it singlehandedly, as if he could just order a drone strike on Alito's house or something. Democratic presidency-onlyism is going to be the death of this country.

Leftists attack Joe Biden not just because he’s President but because he’s so broadly unpopular as President, and because Ruth Bader Ginsburg is no longer alive to be mad at. Also, I’ve seen some people bringing up Biden’s role in getting Thomas confirmed in spite of Anita Hill, but that was literally 30 years ago so whatever.

The more mature, valid criticism is that Democrats as a whole had several decades to prepare for this moment, or at least the plausible possibility, and have (and are continuing to!) treat it purely as a campaign issue (“vote for us or the Republicans will restrict abortion rights!) while simultaneously doing little of substance on the issue, probably because they thought Republicans/conservatives on the courts weren’t entirely serious about overturning Roe. In other words, they projected their own use of abortion as a mobilization issue for many Democratic voters on to the Republicans because “surely the Republicans aren’t crazy enough to do something so extreme—and besides, they need Roe to mobilize their voters, so they won’t actually overturn it…right?).

Democrats—certainly, Democratic elites—got complacent. If anything, the conventional wisdom among Democratic strategists until quite recently has been that the pro-choice position is more  ”polarizing” on average than the pro-life position, even within the Democratic big tent. Consequently, the Dems have often preferred not to talk about the issue whenever possible and just kept their fingers crossed that Roe would never be overturned. Obviously folly from a pro-abortion rights perspective.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #944 on: May 06, 2022, 12:01:20 AM »

There's also West Virginia v. EPA, which seems like the case exists only for activist right-wing judges. It's like a case in search of a ruling.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #945 on: May 06, 2022, 12:07:49 AM »

Leftists attack Joe Biden not just because he’s President but because he’s so broadly unpopular as President, and because Ruth Bader Ginsburg is no longer alive to be mad at. Also, I’ve seen some people bringing up Biden’s role in getting Thomas confirmed in spite of Anita Hill, but that was literally 30 years ago so whatever.

The more mature, valid criticism is that Democrats as a whole had several decades to prepare for this moment, or at least the plausible possibility, and have (and are continuing to!) treat it purely as a campaign issue (“vote for us or the Republicans will restrict abortion rights!) while simultaneously doing little of substance on the issue, probably because they thought Republicans/conservatives on the courts weren’t entirely serious about overturning Roe. In other words, they projected their own use of abortion as a mobilization issue for many Democratic voters on to the Republicans because “surely the Republicans aren’t crazy enough to do something so extreme—and besides, they need Roe to mobilize their voters, so they won’t actually overturn it…right?).

Democrats—certainly, Democratic elites—got complacent. If anything, the conventional wisdom among Democratic strategists until quite recently has been that the pro-choice position is more  ”polarizing” on average than the pro-life position, even within the Democratic big tent. Consequently, the Dems have often preferred not to talk about the issue whenever possible and just kept their fingers crossed that Roe would never be overturned. Obviously folly from a pro-abortion rights perspective.

And the day after the ruling, Clyburn joined Pelosi in endorsing Henry Cuellar, the only anti-codifying Democrat in the House.

These people don't care about agency. They care about obedience, and they care about their clique.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2022, 12:10:19 AM »

And the day after the ruling, Clyburn joined Pelosi in endorsing Henry Cuellar, the only anti-codifying Democrat in the House.

These people don't care about agency. They care about obedience, and they care about their clique.

Big tent!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2022, 12:16:11 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 01:05:50 AM by MAGA Maggie's Masshole Wall »

Of course, if you stand with the people who threaten them, like Markey did, that's when the establishment tries to stop you. Not when you thwart their policies or sell out the agenda for your donors. That's completely fine. When you merely ideologically align with the

Or, how recently, they decided to blow up prescription drug pricing reform because the alternative was AOC gaining a high-profile committee seat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: May 06, 2022, 12:18:52 AM »

Of course, if you stand with the people who threaten them, like Markey did, that's when the establishment tries to stop you.

Or, how recently, they decided to blow up prescription drug pricing reform because the alternative was AOC gaining a high-profile committee seat.

Yeah, it's funny how their "don't endorse against incumbents" rule went out the window with Markey. And of course when Bernie endorsed some person for some irrelevant local race that was against abortion that wasn't allowed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #949 on: May 06, 2022, 12:21:22 AM »

Remember when Alito called for judicial restraint? I think it's safe to say he meant "restrain everything I don't like". It's weird how people have this idea that the Supreme Court is about expert legal knowledge or something. Naw, it's just about coming up with what you want and then writing some garbage to justify it. Maybe back in the Warren Court justices actually thought about things, but not today.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies