SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 10:54:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 104067 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: June 24, 2022, 02:28:56 PM »

Leaving this here for the record, President Biden's statement:

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1626 on: June 24, 2022, 02:29:57 PM »

To keep babies safe, we should adopt other pro-life policies, such as stricter gun controls measures.

Right guys?

Or better yet, because many gun control policies are unlikely to survive this Court, use the Second Amendment to protect abortion rights. I don't think anyone's thought of that one yet!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1627 on: June 24, 2022, 02:29:58 PM »

The Democratic Party not only believes people like OSR would vote for them, but actively believes its energy is better spent persuading him than motivating its base. As the party has professionalized, it feels like they see more in common with their affluent, educated comrades across the aisle than the rubes they represent. Democratic leadership will gladly accept you as their ally if you say the magic words - "Trump bad" - even if you continue to support his lackeys and ideas. Liz Cheney, #Resistance hero and Good Republican, publicly supported and celebrated Roe being overturned. Mitt Romney confirmed Barrett and would have confirmed Kavanaugh. If you give lip service to the thought of opposition, Democrats laud you as a hero and hold you as proof that there's Good in the Republican Party.

To be fair I am far more ideological than the average voter and really dont care much about the "vibes" part of politics really. Same reason why many "populists" on here are Democrats and that is cause posters on a political forum are gonna be much harder to convince to switch sides because people who post on such a forum are inherently gonna care more about individual policies than the average voter.

So to get them to switch you have to get them to really change their ideology first and then the rest can go along with that, while IRL its the exact opposite .
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #1628 on: June 24, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »

This is the first thing good that has happened politically in a very long time. Cheers for the SC for correcting their previous error and not being a slave to "precedent".
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1629 on: June 24, 2022, 02:33:03 PM »

To be fair I am far more ideological than the average voter and really dont care much about the "vibes" part of politics really.

Literally this morning...

I think I have always said if Trump behaved better as President, I absolutely would have voted for him in 2020. His polices were not the reason I decided to go with a write in vote in 2020
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1630 on: June 24, 2022, 02:34:48 PM »

He should have pressured Ginsburg to retire in 2013/14.

She and Biden-Collins voters in Maine at least deserve some blame for this as well.
Obama did pressure RBG to retire back then. However, RBG wanted to be "replaced by a female president" and she thought that Hillary was going to win in 2016.

Just a completely ignorant & catastrophic decision by RBG.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1631 on: June 24, 2022, 02:35:47 PM »

I woke up in the 21st century, I'll be going to sleep in the 18th.

Alito's bogus legal justifications go even further back than the 18th century.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1632 on: June 24, 2022, 02:36:20 PM »

To be fair I am far more ideological than the average voter and really dont care much about the "vibes" part of politics really.

Literally this morning...

I think I have always said if Trump behaved better as President, I absolutely would have voted for him in 2020. His polices were not the reason I decided to go with a write in vote in 2020

Behavior is not exactly "Vibes" though as character matters in leadership qualities. Like much of the "populist right" vibes Trump gave of could have been given off without him showing a complete lack of character .

So Basically see Ron DeSantis or in other countries see Pierre Poilievre
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1633 on: June 24, 2022, 02:51:30 PM »

The reality is, all court decisions are judges "making up stuff". If it wasn't, there would be no need for judges, since the Constitution would be self-explanatory and the text itself would simply resolve all disputes. But of course, a document written 235 years ago cannot possibly account for the life and times of a country of 330 million people today. Yes, there's an amendment process, but it's far too unwieldy as replacing judicial review with amendments would result in possibly passing a new amendment for every court dispute touching on a constitutional issue (or potentially, thousands of amendments at the last, depending on how much leeway you want to give to judges, which is again, not a clear or easy matter). Thus, as a matter of practicality, judges have progressively built upon a body of common law that sits on top of the Constitution, in line with the tradition of English common law.

Thus, the notion of "I read the constitution and there's no guarantee of abortion/gay rights/interracial marriage/one man one vote, etc." is from this view nonsensical, as you would also have to reference common law precedent, which does now speak to these issues.

How does it speak to these issues? The how, in modern times, does largely depend on politics. Judges have political opinions, and although they may hide them for political reasons (especially during confirmation hearing) they still allow them great and perhaps decisive influence over their decisions. This is merely a result of being human. Thus the judicial branch is largely a political branch, whether you like it or not. Admitting that it is political does not necessarily mean that it is illegitimate; it is as legitimate as the other branches, which are also political. It just means that the notion that one side is "objectively right" or that there is some kind of "objectively right" way to interpret the Constitution totally independent of the social and political conditions of the time is an illusion.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1634 on: June 24, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »

Well I never thought I'd be 'radicalised' into a new position on abortion.

I always maintained that it was primarily a medical/healthcare issue, in line with UK thinking, our 1968 Act etc rather than a rights and an access to rights issue. But I am seeing it differently now, particularly in a US context. I have to reappraise my position domestically to ensure that there is no attempt at lobbying or backsliding at home.

It was an expected decision, but a deeply disturbing one. It's not the end; the tentacles of Big Pro-Life and the Republican Fertility Cult will reach into the bedroom and the pharmacy and the doctors office soon enough. I wish I could help. I wish I could do something.

wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #1635 on: June 24, 2022, 02:57:58 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 03:03:18 PM by YE »

Yeah, you just won't stop until we've completely replicated Gilead, will you? My God, when is it going to be enough for you?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1636 on: June 24, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »

It's not gonna mean much because in 2016 when Roe was on the ballot voters chose guns over Abortion, it's gonna just reaffirm the blue and red divide we have now, because all the blue states have available access like Cali for abortion anyone can go through Cali to get married if they are gay or HI or have an Abortion

The red states already made their verdictHillary was about to put Garland on the Crt and he would have banned not guns but concealed weapons
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1637 on: June 24, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »

I will not be doing any moderation on this thread, unlike Clarence Thomas I know when to recuse myself, there is no way in hell I can objectively do my job here.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1638 on: June 24, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »

Lastly, a lot of progressives salty about Cisneros losing have been eagerly using this ruling to attack Democrats, as though we're only just now realizing that Cuellar being pro-life is bad.  Like just stop.  Cisneros was a terrible candidate, and as her post-loss bitching and conspiracy-mongering temper tantrum have shown, we absolutely dodged a bullet.  She was so bad that she lost in a primary to a pro-life Dem three times but we're supposed to be confident that she could win a D+5 district in a red wave year?  Democrats don't like that Cuellar is pro-life, but he's a representative so it doesn't really matter, and they didn't want to lose the seat.  This is the obvious reason why the party turned out for Cuellar but progressives refuse to accept it and instead insist it was some grand conspiracy where the party is secretly pro-life.  Grow up.
 Because they understand that just voting consistently is enough to get most of that they want.

Did you tell people to grow up when they attacked Bernie for backing a pro life mayoral candidate in Omaha?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1639 on: June 24, 2022, 03:05:00 PM »

Everything Hillary Clinton said in 2016 was right.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1640 on: June 24, 2022, 03:05:49 PM »

The progressive and moderate wings of the Democratic Party on Atlas are at full-on civil war and I am sitting here laughing my ass off over it.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1641 on: June 24, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »

This is the first thing good that has happened politically in a very long time. Cheers for the SC for correcting their previous error and not being a slave to "precedent".

In your opinion, why do you think this is a good thing? Just asking. Many women and the men who impregnated them probably don't agree with you.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1642 on: June 24, 2022, 03:12:10 PM »

The progressive and moderate wings of the Democratic Party on Atlas are at full-on civil war and I am sitting here laughing my ass off over it.

That says more about you than it does about them.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1643 on: June 24, 2022, 03:12:27 PM »

"Progressives" have been more upset at Democrats about this and the GOP who literal just did this today. It's absolutely astounding to me. Priorities are just so ridiculous.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1644 on: June 24, 2022, 03:16:22 PM »

Well progressives get to see what happens without Cuellar in that district anyways, so hope they like it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1645 on: June 24, 2022, 03:17:06 PM »

So if you want an interesting gauge on public opinion for this and how it might impact elections directly, look toward Kansas. A couple years ago the Kansas Supreme Court issued their own state level Roe v. Wade equivalent decision. So the Legislature pushed for and passed a constitutional amendment that would state explicitly there is no right to an abortion in the Kansas Constitution. It would not ban abortion itself, just leave the option open. It's being voted on the same date as the primary, I think in August.

Kansas is obviously a pretty conservative state, but with the sort of backlash we've seen it may fail even there. Also since it's not a vote on banning abortion but simply making that an option, it's basically a vote just on the issue and not on any specific proposal.

One thing's for sure, it's pretty important that it fails because look at a map. Kansas could be the only "haven" for a very large area.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1646 on: June 24, 2022, 03:22:38 PM »

Everything Hillary Clinton said in 2016 was right.

LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #1647 on: June 24, 2022, 03:23:13 PM »

This isn't going to have an impact on the midterms, it will be forgotten about within two weeks.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1648 on: June 24, 2022, 03:25:39 PM »

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/3536242-taylor-swift-absolutely-terrified-by-roe-decision/
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1649 on: June 24, 2022, 03:26:08 PM »

This isn't going to have an impact on the midterms, it will be forgotten about within two weeks.

Texas is making it an annual holiday so I doubt that...
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies