SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 101255 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: July 02, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »

There is some truth to this. If the choices were between ending gay marriage and ending immigration, the vast, vast majority of red avs would take away my rights.

Source(s): Dude, trust me

Pretty sure a poll was done last year on this matter that backs me up. Maybe on the individual politics board?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2126 on: July 02, 2022, 01:05:41 PM »

How about taking the immigration discussion to a separate thread? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2127 on: July 02, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »

They're not stopping.

Literally unconstitutional

They. Don't. Care.

This is the point - states can try and start doing this now if they really want (esp the ones with more extreme R-led legislatures), and the SCOTUS would only rule on this if it actually made its way there, which would take a decent amount of time.

Lower courts would slap it down in a nano-second.

Again, what relevance is that when the case is inevitably going to wind up before the supremes?

I doubt that SCOTUS would even grant cert. The trial court slaps it down, and is upheld by the Appellate Court.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2128 on: July 02, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »

that's an issue of poor judgment on the doctor the girl saw in Ohio, not the law itself.

Abortions beyond the point of cardiac activity (~6 week) threshold in Ohio are legal if the provider determines it's a medical emergency and necessary to prevent the pregnant person's death or serious risk of the substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function. Which would apply in a situation where there's a pregnant 10 year old.

If you want to try and see if you don't get arrested, be my guest Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2129 on: July 02, 2022, 02:04:24 PM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

So you support a child being forced to bear a child.

I think that's the greater evil.

The difference is that you don't believe that abortion is literally murder.  If you do believe that it's literally murder (like I do), then actively killing someone is the far worse action.

From ER's perspective, this is the only logical solution. I can respect it (despite my total disagreement) a lot more than the people who are opposed to abortion with full exceptions for rape, because those people don't believe abortion is murder but just want people (in particular, women) to have consequences for having sex.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2130 on: July 02, 2022, 02:12:47 PM »

Where's our evangelical posters to defend this Ohio garbage? Oh wait. They must be protesting in support of universal healthcare and free school lunch the pro-lifers they are.

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

Now you see, that's exactly the type of self-righteous sanctimonious too f****** bad for the little girl my religious beliefs Trump her rights screed that we expected. Well played.

Also, let's not pretend that you or any other Republican like you are going to switch their voting habits to actually provide a rigorous social safety net for all these unwanted children. Another five are in the poor box now and again Plus sweetly smiling to yourself in the mirror and saying " adoption will solve everything!" Will be your craving excuse just like your compatriots.

Er. Hush child, with the Batman did to you is terrible, but it's all God's will that you give birth. Smiley

Child. I'm scared. Where's my dolly? I don't want to be a mommy!

Er. Hush Hush dear child. I, my pastor, and the Tennessee State Legislature knows far better than you and your mother what's best for you. ( Pats on head and leaves to attend a church picnic)
super6646
Canada

« Reply #2131 on: July 02, 2022, 02:13:51 PM »

HISTORIC VICTORY FOR WHITE LIFE!!!!

The irony that more brown and black people proportionally will be born as a result of this ruling.

Even from a demographic self-interest perspective it  makes no sense the GOP has embarked on this crusade given that it hastens their decline into irrelevancy. Then again it’s not like most of them give a crap once these babies are out of the womb.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2132 on: July 02, 2022, 02:14:10 PM »

I'd say that what someone did to the girl is awful and indefensible.  With that said, taking an innocent life will not right the wrong of what was done.  That baby didn't do anything wrong; how they were conceived was not their fault.  Killing him or her would be like killing an innocent bystander to a crime.

The difference is that you don't believe that abortion is literally murder.  If you do believe that it's literally murder (like I do), then actively killing someone is the far worse action.

Yes, but this raped little girl and her mother don't believe that and your religious conviction shouldn't control, genius. If you believe abortion is murder and you wish your 10-year-old daughter to go ahead and bear her rapist child, that's on you and you alone.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2133 on: July 02, 2022, 02:16:49 PM »

Yes, but this raped little girl and her mother don't believe that and your religious conviction shouldn't control, genius. If you believe abortion is murder and you wish your 10-year-old daughter to go ahead and bear her rapist child, that's on you and you alone.

I'm still waiting for him to answer the questions I asked him earlier today:

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Would you adopt that baby?

Please answer yes or no to all questions.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2134 on: July 02, 2022, 02:53:57 PM »

Just to be clear: you want this 10-year-old girl to carry an incestuous rapist's baby to term, regardless of the high risk to both herself and the baby (with a mother that young) and the high likelihood of emotional and physical damage?

Would you adopt that baby?

Please answer yes or no to all questions.

Yeah, that's disgusting. Even fhtagn says right above says she's okay with an abortion in this case and she's one of the most pro life posters we have. Wtf dude?

That's why he named himself ExtremeRepublican. I think he always extreme on that particular issue, even though never a Trump hack and more rational on immigration.

He's pro immigration because your average immigrant is going to be more socially conservative, and if they aren't, that's one more person he can try to convert.

Perfect example of why Trumpism is leagues better than his Bush era conservatism.
Sadly because of “mah civility” it comes off as if the vast, vast majority of red avys would rather dial the clock back to Dubya.

There is some truth to this. If the choices were between ending gay marriage and ending immigration, the vast, vast majority of red avs would take away my rights.

Now, this is hypothetical that will never see the light of day, but it is still bothersome that they'd place the rights of foreigners over the rights of Americans.
Cope.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2135 on: July 02, 2022, 03:46:15 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 03:54:39 PM by GALeftist »

This is a perfectly respectable view, but it necessarily derives from religion, as you admit yourself, and therefore cannot and should not be enforced by the state. There was a time not so long ago when even religious people would acknowledge this; instead of working to install theocrats on the Supreme Court, they would work to convince their fellow citizens to join their religion and share their views on what is right and what is wrong, in the hopes that these new converts would voluntarily join them. Sadly, within my lifetime this has completely reversed; the number of theocrats in our government is spiking even as the churches they belong to plummet farther and farther in terms of membership. Our country is worse for it, since our separation between church and state is being pushed to the absolute breaking point, and your religion is worse for it, too. Before long, you'll have turned a secular nation with a strong Christian tradition into a Christian nation with fewer Christians than ever.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2136 on: July 02, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/justice-thomas-rises-monumental-supreme-105224208.html

Clarence Thomas rightward shift shows no signs of slowing down , you guys can talk Roe all you want but the Crt has shifted right

O'Connor, Kennedy and Ginsberg aren't there anymore
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2137 on: July 02, 2022, 05:17:32 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2138 on: July 02, 2022, 06:29:17 PM »

Don’t abortion bans in every state still include exceptions for the life of the mother? Why wouldn’t that apply here? Childbirth could easily kill a 10 year old, that’s years before anyone should be going through pregnancy just in a biological sense. Insanity.

When both the baby and her mother die they'll just go full Rick Perry, say "oops" and move on. They don't really care that much.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2139 on: July 02, 2022, 07:43:17 PM »

I can't wait for the usual nutjobs to defend this monstrosity.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2140 on: July 02, 2022, 07:54:51 PM »

So is the idea to ban all pregnant women from leaving Mississippi?  Pretty sure that’d be wildly unconstitutional.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2141 on: July 02, 2022, 07:56:09 PM »

So is the idea to ban all pregnant women from leaving Mississippi?  Pretty sure that’d be wildly unconstitutional.

This was widely confirmed to be a joke well over 24 hours ago. Try to keep up.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2142 on: July 02, 2022, 08:04:05 PM »

Jokes are no fun when people get snotty.  Squinting
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2143 on: July 02, 2022, 08:06:28 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 09:20:58 PM by The Homophobic Mod »

Nah i was trolling and someone got sand in their panties.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2144 on: July 02, 2022, 08:45:22 PM »

I think it's a funny joke and have no problem with it being posted. Just setting the record straight for someone who clearly wasn't trolling. That's why I replied to that comment not yours.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2145 on: July 02, 2022, 08:56:37 PM »

lol homophobia.  Cheesy
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2146 on: July 02, 2022, 11:03:48 PM »

Ohio has three Supreme Court seats up for election this November. Just sayin.

I know that might sound crass to say in the immediate aftermath of this happening, but honestly I don't care. Republicans have fought for 50 years to turn what should be a non-controversial issue of privacy and making one's own healthcare decisions into a political one, dragging women in one of the hardest and worst moments of their lives into a nightmare of unconstitutional  burdensome regulations and religious-based laws that aim to make their personal decisions for them.

The only way to fix Roe being overturned - as well as protect women from the avalanche of right-wing state laws to come that aim to criminalize women and doctors - is to elect democratic state supreme court justices and to put democratic justices on SCOTUS, and to elect a Dem House and enough Dem senators that are willing to blow up the filibuster to pass pro-choice laws at the federal level. That's it. Period. Don't complain when someone points out a specific race where voters can make an immediate and HUGE difference at the state level. This issue has been made inherently political by republicans and the only way it can be fixed is through political races.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2147 on: July 02, 2022, 11:10:47 PM »

Your personal belief does not (or should not) have force of law in a democracy. Personal religious beliefs are law in a theocracy, which is why sooner later, Roe will be reinstated, as the 6 justices on SCOTUS did not base their decision on the law, but their personal religious and political beliefs.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2148 on: July 03, 2022, 01:11:06 AM »

Just bringing this up for no reason in particular.

The left just doesn’t understand the right at all.

Do you deny that this sort of thing is going to happen in states that ban abortion?
Yes
Fool.

Any particular reason why, or is this just part of your general childlike myopia?
There aren’t gonna be checks by cops just cause someone is pregnant. Saying  so is absolutely ridiculous
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2149 on: July 03, 2022, 06:05:31 AM »

Australian women protest abortion, but, abortion is legal in Australia?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-02/australians-demonstrate-support-for-abortion-access/101203588

When the Black Lives Matter protests happened in the US, Australians also followed suit, but were confused when they were protesting for African Australians, it was pointed out that African Australians were under no duress here.

Proof that people are more interested in World Instagram trends rather than their actual local issues.

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies