Excellent Ad Destroys GOP On Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:08:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Excellent Ad Destroys GOP On Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Excellent Ad Destroys GOP On Abortion  (Read 2300 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2022, 09:28:09 PM »

Didn't know ExtremeRepublican was a police officer.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 09:43:19 PM »

Good ad.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 06:50:44 AM »

“ In the name of God the father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit and in the name of Jesus and Joseph and Mary, and in accordance with the laws of the great state and church of Texas, I am placing you under arrest”.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 07:08:46 AM »

The left just doesn’t understand the right at all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 07:12:13 AM »

That's why were in not in the right. This is like saying that a Dog is not a Cat.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 07:31:04 AM »

We don't need to understand you as much as we need to defeat you in elections.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 08:35:53 AM »

Strong ad.

Won't change much about the midterms though. Single issue abortion voters barely exist and Americans are worried about other stuff these days. The fundamentals remain the same; we're having a midterm during a D-admin with a prez in low 40s approvals.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 10:02:35 AM »

lmao

#GOPHandmaidsTale is preaching to the choir if I ever saw it. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2022, 10:51:25 AM by Person Man »

lmao

#GOPHandmaidsTale is preaching to the choir if I ever saw it.  

That’s precisely the point. What’s even crazier is that the personhood laws being passed are no more popular than a ban on interracial marriage. Gallup has such a law at 3% and for this one, like six or 7%. At least according to the last BBC poll that had Biden at 39.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 01:29:41 PM »

Didn't know ExtremeRepublican was a police officer.

From the perspective of the GOP this ad does not "destroy the GOP", it's a celebration of their success. This is what the right wants. Because they're evil.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 01:34:10 PM »

What an absolutely ridiculous ad
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 01:42:33 PM »

What I noticed is that the ad came out the same day as the draft leak. There’s no way they could have thrown it together that quickly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 01:43:50 PM »

We don't need to understand you as much as we need to defeat you in elections.

You might want to get inflation down first if that's your goal.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 01:44:44 PM »

What I noticed is that the ad came out the same day as the draft leak. There’s no way they could have thrown it together that quickly.

They've had fifty years.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 01:47:15 PM »

They've had fifty years.

I meant between the publication of the Politico article and the release of the video. According to Twitter it came out after just one hour.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 01:49:46 PM »

The left needs to stop expecting ads and social media posts to do all the heavy lifting. The 50 state strategy doesn't mean you spend 30 million dollars on commercials in each of the 50 states. If Democrats were visible on the ground in every American county and tried to meet voters where they're at, they'd still be the dominant party in this country.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 01:53:39 PM »

Or vice versa.

Strong ad.

Won't change much about the midterms though. Single issue abortion voters barely exist and Americans are worried about other stuff these days. The fundamentals remain the same; we're having a midterm during a D-admin with a prez in low 40s approvals.

But,
The short-term consequences of constitutionalizing the abortion issue were powerful and positive for the pro-choice movement. The long-term consequences were disastrous. Roe v. Wade provided the religious right and the conservative wing of the Republican Party one of the best organizing tools and rallying cries imaginable. The right-to-life movement was energized by this decision and became one of the most potent political forces both nationally and in a large number of states. At the same time, the pro-choice movement became lethargic, celebrating its great judicial victory and neglecting the hard work of organizing and fund-raising -- at least in the beginning.
Roe v. Wade helped secure the presidency for Ronald Reagan by giving him a "free" issue. It was free because he -- and other right-to-life Republicans -- could strongly oppose all abortion without alienating moderate Republican women and men who favored a woman's right to choose but felt secure in the knowledge that the Supreme Court would continue to protect that right, regardless of what Reagan and others said or did. Abortion thus became the most important issue for right-wing religious zealots and a marginal issue for moderate Republicans who favored a woman's right to choose but who also supported the Republicans' economic and other programs. This helped to destroy the moderate wing of the Republican Party (the so-called Rockefeller Republicans) and drove former moderates such as the elder George Bush to the right. (He started as a pro-choice Republican and ended up as a right-to-life Republican whose hands were tied by the Supreme Court.)
Though Roe v. Wade is still the law, that decision -- and the ensuing power of the right-to-life lobby -- almost certainly pressured Republican presidents to nominate activist right-wing justices such as Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas. (Alan Dershowitz, "Supreme Injustice," published 2001, pages 193-194.)

Now that Roe is apparently going to be reversed, the exact opposite political effect will occur. Pro-choice activists will become just as energized as the pro-lifers were, while the pro-life movement can readily sit back and become as lackadaisical as the pro-choicers were for the last 49 years. Ending Roe could also re-invigorate the moderate Republicans who always have been pro-choice but could sit back and rely on the Supreme Court, and grassroots supporters such as those could start lobbying their state legislators that they do not want to impose significant bans on abortion. They could threaten to become Democrats if they don't get their way. So the short-term consequence of a decision like this could be a boon to the pro-lifers, but the long-term consequences could be that they ultimately lose more and more power. All of this bodes well for the Democratic Party and for pro-choicers in general.

My guess is that because of the unique business cycle that by 2025, abortion will probably be banned in every red state and swing state. Outside of the 16 states that explicitly have legal abortion, I can see New Hampshire, Virginia, and MAYBE PA, NM, and MN. So I expect abortion to be legal in maybe 19 or 20 states, and in the worst case 17 or states by the mid 2020s. On the other hand, by the early 2030s, I can abortion eventually being legal or at least tolerated in all of the state I mentioned plus Georgia, North Carolina, Alaska, Michigan and MAYBE Texas, Wisconsin, and Florida.

At a certain point, things will stabilize where there are enough places where abortion is tolerated and where abortion is a serious crime and at that point, the issue probably fades into irrelevance.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »

They've had fifty years.

I meant between the publication of the Politico article and the release of the video. According to Twitter it came out after just one hour.

To be fair, they probably made it months ago and were waiting to drop it if news broke that Roe would fall. Ads are most effective when they are topical, and waiting to make one from scratch in response to foreseeable if not guaranteed events is not wise.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 02:00:46 PM »

They've had fifty years.

To be fair, they probably made it months ago and were waiting to drop it if news broke that Roe would fall. Ads are most effective when they are topical, and waiting to make one from scratch in response to foreseeable if not guaranteed events is not wise.

If the 90% chance that Roe is overturned happens, it was put into motion when RBG croaked. That's six months' notice.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 02:13:02 PM »

Not a single swing voter will ever see anything Meidas Touch produces but they'll rake in millions from resisters for making these silly ads.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2022, 02:49:16 PM »

Not a single swing voter will ever see anything Meidas Touch produces but they'll rake in millions from resisters for making these silly ads.

If the ad makes money, it's a success, right?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 03:09:33 PM »

This is a curious statement. My reply is, who wants to understand the right? I would have to go backwards in time and think hard about too many negative things about how the left is evil, how the left is radical, how the left are "baby killers" and how the left wants to coddle the poor and immigrants.

I just don't believe those things. Why doesn't the right come into the 21st century and start behaving like human beings and not terrorists, white supremists, bigots, racists, and small-minded thinkers? And especially stop trying to control women's bodies. You know, join in the modern times.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2022, 04:09:47 PM »

This is a curious statement. My reply is, who wants to understand the right? I would have to go backwards in time and think hard about too many negative things about how the left is evil, how the left is radical, how the left are "baby killers" and how the left wants to coddle the poor and immigrants.

I just don't believe those things. Why doesn't the right come into the 21st century and start behaving like human beings and not terrorists, white supremists, bigots, racists, and small-minded thinkers? And especially stop trying to control women's bodies. You know, join in the modern times.

I hope they do too. I’ve seen several articles where a strong case is needed for a truly conservative political movement to stabilize a country. The problem is how do you deal with so many degrees and flavors of conservative and reactionary thought.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2022, 06:59:27 PM »

Powerful ad. This is the future Republicans want.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 07:27:16 PM »

If the ad makes money, it's a success, right?

Average McGrath staffer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies