Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:55:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities  (Read 3852 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: April 23, 2022, 11:24:05 PM »

I'll probably regret this post but...

Ok but even take the important social sciences (so not ones like gender studies and all) like international relations . Wouldn’t it be better if the amount of PHD’s in that were less so the field was truly exclusive so then you would get the smartest people to go into that.

You're right, there are way too many PhD candidates for the number of (non- temp/adjunct) faculty positions available. This problem is by no means limited to social sciences and humanities. I'm not sure if limiting the number of PhDs in international relations would result in better aggregate geopolitics analysis, but I don't pay much attention to geopolitics in general, so maybe I'm not qualified to chime in.

Now imagine a Social Sciences professor doing longitudinal research and finding out the results of the outcomes of children growing up in not just single parent households, but in gay/lesbian households, trans households, etc.  Just what would be the response to data which showed the outcomes of children raised in such homes to be less optimal than children raised in two-parent biological families.  Would this research be received well, or would the research be suppressed, the researcher systematically discredited?  Which would happen in today's environment?

Never majored in a social science, but in all honestly I don't think such a study would be widely discredited. There probably haven't been enough children raised in gay/lesbian households (let alone households with one or more transgender parental figure) for there not to be sample size issues with an ongoing longitudinal study.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 11:44:03 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2022, 11:55:31 AM by MRS. MEE SUM CHU »

Are you seriously trying to argue that Democrats are the side of this culture war issue that wants to indoctrinate kids? They aren't the ones intervening in curricula to ban ideas they don't agree with.

California Democrats literally mandated ethnic studies statewide. Either side wants to do it, although school administration will do most of the work for Democrats if laws are neutral.

Ethnic studies aren't Dem propaganda nor do they necessarily lead students to support the Dems later on. Some of the criticism of Biden has been from parts of his record that have adversely affected today's black, Latino, and AAPI electorates.

That isn't what I said. I said Democrats don't want to ban ideas they don't like.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:19 PM »

I used discord for nationstates talk. I know. i was a Nationstates geek for a while, and i hated it. So much hassle.

I've played NationStates for just about 11 years now (it's the basis for my Atlas persona) but I never got into the roleplay aspect. Didn't get into the forums until 2016 and stopped following them when I became more active here.

There's a lot going on in the Atlas discord servers. It's too much for me to keep up with.

I don't regret restarting this thread, but I wish there was more discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of ethnic studies in K-12 schools, or of longitudinal studies of adopted children.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:23 PM »

Many of the them are democrats and the point is this board completely overestimates how liberal much of their base really is which is why I bring them up .  

Because your family is a good sample size to disprove that?

Hispanics and Asians  in many ways are more conservative than whites so Dems do have to be careful how they approach certain issues

Valid point, but DeSantis's "war on higher education" isn't a good example of this.

Now imagine a Social Sciences professor doing longitudinal research and finding out the results of the outcomes of children growing up in not just single parent households, but in gay/lesbian households, trans households, etc.  Just what would be the response to data which showed the outcomes of children raised in such homes to be less optimal than children raised in two-parent biological families.  Would this research be received well, or would the research be suppressed, the researcher systematically discredited?  Which would happen in today's environment?

Never majored in a social science, but in all honestly I don't think such a study would be widely discredited. There probably haven't been enough children raised in gay/lesbian households (let alone households with one or more transgender parental figure) for there not to be sample size issues with an ongoing longitudinal study.

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/10/5922

Behavioral Outcomes of Children with Same-Sex Parents in The Netherlands

We take advantage of unique data from the Netherlands based on a probability sample from population registers, whereby findings can be inferred to same-sex and different-sex parent households with parents between the ages of 30 and 65, and with children between the ages of 6 and 16 years (62 children with same-sex, and 72 children with different-sex parents). The findings obtained by coarsened exact matching suggest no significant disadvantages for children with same-sex parents compared to different-sex parents. We contextualize these findings in their wider cultural context, and recommend a renewed focus in future research away from deficit-driven comparisons.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies