Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:35:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities  (Read 3847 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« on: May 21, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »

and by pointing out that the paradigm of our society has shifted from a focus on the well-being of children to a focus of the happiness and personal choices of adults. 
Yes. Our society does ignore the well-being of children in favor of the desires of adults. For example, many of us think not only should society let parents teach their queer children that being queer is inherently wrong, it should also make do what it can to make sure those kids never see anything opposing those ideas, because apparently a parents desire to make their children believe they are inherently sinful and disgusting is more important than the child's mental well-being.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 05:29:25 PM »

and by pointing out that the paradigm of our society has shifted from a focus on the well-being of children to a focus of the happiness and personal choices of adults. 
Yes. Our society does ignore the well-being of children in favor of the desires of adults. For example, many of us think not only should society let parents teach their queer children that being queer is inherently wrong, it should also make do what it can to make sure those kids never see anything opposing those ideas, because apparently a parents desire to make their children believe they are inherently sinful and disgusting is more important than the child's mental well-being.

It's not a parent's job to validate every belief that their child holds.  Or to give in to every episode of temper tantrums and emotional blackmailing.  That's certainly not in a child's best interest.
The fact that your response to someone saying that a child's mental wellbeing is more important than a parents desire to make that child believe that they're inherently disgusting is to blab on about emotional blackmail and temper tantrums is horrifying and disgusting.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:12:57 PM »

It's not a parent's job to validate every belief that their child holds.  Or to give in to every episode of temper tantrums and emotional blackmailing.  That's certainly not in a child's best interest.
The fact that your response to someone saying that a child's mental wellbeing is more important than a parents desire to make that child believe that they're inherently disgusting is to blab on about emotional blackmail and temper tantrums is horrifying and disgusting.

You've not walked in my shoes (and my wife's shoes) in these areas when it comes to the mental health issues of a child.  How I would deal with a trans child?  I don't know.  But "Give them what they want!" is not the default position for dealing with any issue of mental/behavioral health in a child, nor should it be.

Edit:  I just noticed that you're derailing the thread, and I've helped.  My bad!
I haven't walked in your shoes, but I've plainly seen the things you've said about these things. I haven't been a parent, but I've been a teen. I've dealt with self hatred, being misunderstood, and conflicts with my parents. I'm not without knowledge on this. "Give them what they want" isn't always the answer with children, but "dismiss their mental agony as just a bratty temper tantrum/emotional blackmail" is never the answer. Frankly, if my parents parented me like you've claimed to parent your child(ren?) I'd probably be in a coffin right now.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 12:12:19 PM »

Nothing about the Florida bill is reactionary propaganda and what you guys are claiming the bill does is nothing but a lie  . Pretty much everyone I know IRL including democrats support it even more than I do and their only problem is it does not go far enough .

Case in point, this "people who have a different opinion than me are LYING and/or CRAZY!" is not what you were previously known for ever doing before you joined the cultserver and allowed them to rewrite your opinions. The assumption of bad faith is uncalled for.

I can assure you that I have much better things to do than get on here and tell lies, and that other people here aren't doing that either. IF it turns out that our concerns were overblown, it will be because we made an honest mistake, not because of some conspiracy to tell lies, and I think the "old you" would have recognized that.

But we aren't going to turn out to be wrong. We were justified in being suspicious of the motives of the Florida bill. While a [depressingly large] portion of your party has always believed this, it didn't become a mainstream acceptable talking point until DeSantis's staff pushed the "gays are groomers and so are you if you oppose the bill" talking point to get it passed.

On top of that, we've seen stories around the country, including Florida, of gay teachers' jobs in jeopardy simply for their sexual orientation. You are always conspicuously absent from these threads, but they exist, and comparing to the news feeds, only a small portion of them become thread here. If you want to argue that this is an unfortunate but necessary side effect of an overall good bill, be my guest, but have more decency than to just say we're all liars.

I’m calling the main stream media out for lying about this bill cause they just want to make DeSantis seem as evil as possible.
Did you even read any of the post past the first paragraph?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies