AK-AL Special election: Peltola wins!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:36:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AK-AL Special election: Peltola wins!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19
Author Topic: AK-AL Special election: Peltola wins!  (Read 21655 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 31, 2022, 10:52:19 PM »

The Democrats were able to win Alabama in the lead up to the 2018 blue wave midterm elections. Republicans can't even win in Alaska in what is supposedly a red wave year.

I think the talk of a "red wave" is pure fantasy at this point. There is literally no reason to expect one anymore other than feelings. And as we all know, facts don't care about your feelings.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #401 on: August 31, 2022, 10:53:31 PM »

Congrats to Mary Peltola! This is awesome!

I didn't even know that this race was a thing until I saw it on CNN just a few minutes ago.

Alaska Natives need more attention and recognition given to them. Hopefully, she's able to win again in November for the full term (even if that's unlikely - but who knows!).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2022, 11:03:07 PM »

And this is from 2 weeks ago. Thing have only gotten better for Dems since
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2022, 11:03:49 PM »

Saying Palin was a terrible candidate misses the point. Even with better candidates, Democrats wouldn't be winning a race like this if the national environment was a Republican wave. These opportunities open up as the national environment improves.

Also she's not even as terrible a candidate as Oz, Walker, and other MAGA Republicans on the ballot in November in much less red states.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2022, 11:08:09 PM »

The Democrats were able to win Alabama in the lead up to the 2018 blue wave midterm elections. Republicans can't even win in Alaska in what is supposedly a red wave year.

I think the talk of a "red wave" is pure fantasy at this point. There is literally no reason to expect one anymore other than feelings. And as we all know, facts don't care about your feelings.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2022, 11:10:31 PM »

Saying Palin was a terrible candidate misses the point. Even with better candidates, Democrats wouldn't be winning a race like this if the national environment was a Republican wave. These opportunities open up as the national environment improves.

Also she's not even as terrible a candidate as Oz, Walker, and other MAGA Republicans on the ballot in November in much less red states.

I'd assume she's even more famous, but that's a good point-if she underperforms by 15 points for being a terrible candidate then how are Republicans supposed to win the Senate with the candidates they have?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »

Imagine being told a few days before the 2020 election that in 2022 the Republicans would win a special election in TX-34 and the Democrats would win one in AK.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »

And this is from 2 weeks ago. Thing have only gotten better for Dems since

Please, I can only handle so much hopium.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2022, 11:37:58 PM »

Voters are complicated lol

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2022, 11:38:19 PM »

Imagine being told a few days before the 2020 election that in 2022 the Republicans would win a special election in TX-34 and the Democrats would win one in AK.

If AK-AL was a fluke TX-34 was certainly one as well.
philly09

« Reply #410 on: August 31, 2022, 11:38:33 PM »

The cope is strong here.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #411 on: August 31, 2022, 11:53:51 PM »

bookmark a tweet? lol
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #412 on: August 31, 2022, 11:55:34 PM »

Alaska is a very small state with a huge diversity in economy/education/etc while also having a good third of the population in glad handing distance. This is the state where nearly 20% of the legislature is either independent, non-caucusing, or outright in coalition with democrats. Said democratic coalition has lead the state since 2016.

I am extremely hesitant to draw conclusions based of one race in such a state, but it still makes me feel better about November.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #413 on: August 31, 2022, 11:56:55 PM »

Palin is still on ballot in Nov they're gonna split the vote she hasn't dropped out Peltola will win on split vote🤩🤩

They act like Palin dropped out no she hasn't
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2022, 12:00:35 AM »

You can bookmark a tweet. It's a way to save it without liking/retweeting.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2022, 12:10:35 AM »

Without RCV, Palin wins the primary and it’s just her and Peltola on the ballot, and Peltola still wins. It’s incredibly stupid to consider the combined first round R vote as the “real” results, but whatever. Cope.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #416 on: September 01, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »

You can bookmark tweets. I do it all the time.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #417 on: September 01, 2022, 12:22:16 AM »

The combined Republican vote number is irrelevant when you consider that Begich is a big family name in the state and many of his votes likely weren't solid Republican or even obtainable for Palin. Most voters probably wanted a candidate who will work hard for the state as opposed to a talk and no action candidate like Sarah Palin.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #418 on: September 01, 2022, 12:23:10 AM »

Agreed. Just saying that, AK is a weird enough state that even if it WERE a red wave, the Dem could plausibly come close under the right circumstances (see AK-SEN 2014). I do agree though, there isn’t going to be any red wave in November. In fact, at this point it’s quite possible Democrats keep the House (and expand their Senate majority, even).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #419 on: September 01, 2022, 12:23:57 AM »

Alaska is a very small state with a huge diversity in economy/education/etc while also having a good third of the population in glad handing distance. This is the state where nearly 20% of the legislature is either independent, non-caucusing, or outright in coalition with democrats. Said democratic coalition has lead the state since 2016.

I am extremely hesitant to draw conclusions based of one race in such a state, but it still makes me feel better about November.

This, basically
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #420 on: September 01, 2022, 12:34:17 AM »

Being very much "anti-both parties" in their present form (though, admittedly - more anti-Republican then anti-Democratic) i would (if i could) expand Alaska's system of voting on all 50 states. It would make elections more interesting and less predictable. And sane candidates (now frequently blocked by mad "activists" in party primary) would, most likely, get better chances to be elected...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #421 on: September 01, 2022, 01:00:03 AM »

Without RCV, Palin wins the primary and it’s just her and Peltola on the ballot, and Peltola still wins. It’s incredibly stupid to consider the combined first round R vote as the “real” results, but whatever. Cope.

Not really as you wouldnt have Palin and Begich attacking each other literally a day before the election .
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #422 on: September 01, 2022, 01:28:11 AM »

Wait, I'm checking in for late night headlines and Palin lost? This is freakin' awesome!

If we can keep this, the red wave is dead! Secular wave incoming!
SInNYC

« Reply #423 on: September 01, 2022, 01:33:53 AM »

I have a question for Alaskans out there (do we have any?). Do you think less informed voters knew that this Begich was far far different from his uncle the Democratic senator, not to mention granddad?

The reason I ask is that I can also that as another potential reason for crossover from Begich to Peltola, especially in the less connected bush.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #424 on: September 01, 2022, 01:54:19 AM »

Wasn’t Palin already relatively disliked in the state over a decade ago because she resigned and basically cashed in (and moved away) on being a reality star?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies