Immigration Reform Key to Keeping U.S. Economy Competitive, Says Report
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:47:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Immigration Reform Key to Keeping U.S. Economy Competitive, Says Report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Immigration Reform Key to Keeping U.S. Economy Competitive, Says Report  (Read 830 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2022, 06:11:42 PM »

Immigration reform is key to keeping US economy competitive, says report

The United States' immigration system is failing to provide the nation's economy with enough high-skilled and productive workers to grow and remain competitive on a global scale, according to a new report from experts at Rice University's Baker Institute for Public Policy.

"The American workforce will be under enormous stress as demographic changes impact the larger economy," write co-authors Tony Payan, director of the Baker Institute's Center for the United States and Mexico, and Pamela Lizette Cruz, research analyst at the center.

U.S. population growth has been slowing for years, and in 2021, the population grew by the lowest rate since the nation's founding—just 0.1%. The population is also aging; the Census Bureau projects that by 2034, Americans 65 and older will outnumber those under 18 for the first time in the nation's history.

Immigration reform could relieve the stress caused by these demographic trends and ensure America's stability and competitiveness in the global economy, the authors argue.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 06:19:42 PM »

Nationalists in shambles
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 06:56:42 PM »

Maxing per capita income is opening the world to the most ambitious and healthy and capable  to make their way in within the confines of the law to further their dreams and do "well" (with bonus points for the smartest and most educated and most wealthy), and keep out the rest. What maximizes wealth is not co-extensive with what is "right."

One thing I "know" based on my personal experience. Thank God for the Hispanics. They have "enriched" my life in so many ways, and still do.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »

I think everybody knows this is true to some extent. The key is to structure it ina way that benefits American workers and doesn’t displace them. I’m currently reading Parag Khana’s “Move” which is basically just a polemic arguing in favor of the great replacement theory (and in every region the best ethnic group that needs to move in just happens to be his own) and it has turned me off to immigration on a gut level but I think as long as we have assimilation policies, English requirements, and as long as the immigration is from diverse countries bedsides just China and India it can be done successfully.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 08:34:33 PM »

Salaries aren't keeping pace with inflation.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 11:46:06 PM »

Tell that to Tucker's face.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 12:23:44 AM »

I think everybody knows this is true to some extent. The key is to structure it ina way that benefits American workers and doesn’t displace them. I’m currently reading Parag Khana’s “Move” which is basically just a polemic arguing in favor of the great replacement theory (and in every region the best ethnic group that needs to move in just happens to be his own) and it has turned me off to immigration on a gut level but I think as long as we have assimilation policies, English requirements, and as long as the immigration is from diverse countries bedsides just China and India it can be done successfully.

1. The latest research shows that 41 percent of US Immigrants in 2020 came to the US via work visas, probably to work in technology, healthcare et cetera.

These guys probably are VERY good in english.

If you want to restrict immigration, we would have to increase education funding in the STEM jobs of the future.

2. The biggest threat to American workers isn't those OTHERS. It's technology, automation. The shift to a service, knowledge based economy.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »

BG-NY and The Pieman in shambles.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 12:39:35 PM »

ONE 👏 BILLION 👏 AMERICANS 👏
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »

Immigration is the government's way of propping up the Ponzi scheme that is Social Security. We would not need a constant influx of immigrants to subsidize the elderly if our welfare system was solvent. Immigration is good for other reasons, but we need to address the simple fact that the welfare state as it exists is not sustainable.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 01:05:22 PM »

If Rs take the H there won't be any Student Loan Discharge or immigration reform, Biden allowed the Omnicron Varient to surge by allowing illegals to come intoo country in first place

As punditry said Rs are likely to take the H not the Senate and I don't want it to happen because of reparations, but as long as this Ukraine War is kept ongoing there will be a Speaker McCarthy and Majority Leader SCHUMER
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 01:57:34 PM »

We need immigrants because there are entire industries that can't find workers.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 02:01:19 PM »

They can't find workers because they won't pay the wages Americans demand.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 02:01:52 PM »

Yeah, crazy idea here, but maybe we should, you know, not make the immigration process so insanely long and expensive, and not treat immigrants inhumanely? Just a crazy radical leftist idea, I know.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 02:04:27 PM »

Perhaps they should offer decent wages and not chump change.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 02:07:55 PM »

Yes!

Let the latins in!
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 02:09:59 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 02:16:01 PM by GP270watch »

This is nonsense. What could farmers offer fat and sloppy Americans to toil under the sun and pick fruits and vegetables and be productive doing so. Or roof on a summer day in Florida where it's 115 degrees up there and other various jobs almost no American wants. There are also trades paying good money, offering training, and many times unionized where they can't find American workers interested to work them, the plumbers and welders are retiring and their kids are not wanting to do the same jobs. This is a fact.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 03:41:22 PM by Farmlands »

This is nonsense. What could farmers offer fat and sloppy Americans to toil under the sun and pick fruits and vegetables and be productive doing so. Or roof on a summer day in Florida where it's 115 degrees up there and other various other jobs almost no American wants. This is a fact.

There are plenty of honest people who would gladly take that work for a decent salary. And I'm puzzled as to why you seem to look down on these laborious jobs. Agriculture is an essential part of any society.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 02:22:57 PM »

This is nonsense. What could farmers offer fat and sloppy Americans to toil under the sun and pick fruits and vegetables and be productive doing so. Or roof on a summer day in Florida where it's 115 degrees up there and other various other jobs almost no American wants. This is a fact.

There are plenty of honest people who would gladly take that work for a decent salary. And I'll say it's odd how it seems you actively look down on these laborious jobs. Agriculture is an essential part of any society.

I don't look down at it at all so stop assuming, it's very hard work and I know many people who plant and pick food and they're nearly all from Mexico and Central America. It is an essential part of society, the food we eat, and the immigrants who are doing this work should be valued with citizenship and rights like immigrants of previous generations that did the jobs America needed to get done.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 02:23:13 PM »

Lies

There is severe construction worker shortage, these jobs are paying more than anything people can get without a degree and a lot of of experiences.

Construction worker shortage has reached “crisis” levels
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 02:24:20 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 02:28:34 PM by Cody »

This is nonsense. What could farmers offer fat and sloppy Americans to toil under the sun and pick fruits and vegetables and be productive doing so. Or roof on a summer day in Florida where it's 115 degrees up there and other various jobs almost no American wants. There are also trades paying good money, offering training, and many times unionized where they can't find American workers interested to work them, the plumbers and welders are retiring and their kids are not wanting to do the same jobs. This is a fact.

You surely know that a huge part of this is the lie that absolutely everyone has to go to college or you'll be a poor for life, which has influenced career paths of a huge number of people.

Lies

There is severe construction worker shortage, these jobs are paying more than anything people can get without a degree and a lot of of experiences.

Construction worker shortage has reached “crisis” levels

Where I'm at construction laborers make $16 to $18 an hour based on the job postings I'm seeing, in a area with quite high cost of living. The trades are where the money is at, not unskilled labor, and the trades require apprenticeship and/or technical education, which, again, the "college for everyone" lie/scam has actively steered people away from.

If they can't find people, they should offer more pay. Eventually they'll reach a level where enough people are willing to do it to fill the demand. The idea that we should import low-wage immigrants instead of paying the wages our own citizens demand is anti-worker and un-American.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 02:27:52 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 02:36:55 PM by GP270watch »

You surely know that a huge part of this is the lie that absolutely everyone has to go to college or you'll be a poor for life, which has influenced career paths of a huge number of people.

Bullcrap, if your own dad is in the trades and you know you grew up with a comfortable life, you're going to tell me it's the college "brainswashing" that makes you think plumbing or welder is not a good job. Be serious, these kids are not wanting to do the job because they find something else to do or they just don't want to. In the meantime we need to fix things and there are plenty of immigrants willing to come here and work hard, bring them in and make them Americans.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 02:29:44 PM »

if the process was easier and more, idk, efficient (they're still processing stuff from like, the early 2000s iirc??!) maybe people wouldn't feel the need to try and sneak in. No one wants to have the fear of deportation over their head, or risk death in the desert while crossing.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 02:30:45 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 02:35:47 PM by GP270watch »

Where I'm at construction laborers make $16 to $18 an hour based on the job postings I'm seeing, in a area with quite high cost of living. The trades are where the money is at, not unskilled labor, and the trades require apprenticeship and/or technical education, which, again, the "college for everyone" lie/scam has actively steered people away from.

Construction in Florida is paying $20-25 an hour starting for anybody walking off the street and they can't find anybody. I am not familiar with California but those numbers might be outdated.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 02:34:25 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 02:40:53 PM by Cody »

Construction in Florida is paying $25 an hour starting for anybody walking off the street and they can't find anybody. I am not familiar with California but I seriously doubt your numbers.

I did unskilled construction labor last summer and made $17 an hour. Don't speak on things you don't know.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies