British Teens the Worst Behaved in Europe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 10:33:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Teens the Worst Behaved in Europe
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: British Teens the Worst Behaved in Europe  (Read 9731 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2006, 04:53:37 PM by Michael Z »

One thing we need to remember is that youth crime is a problem in pretty much most western countries (as well as some Asian countries, like South Korea). It's especially bad in Britain, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world is immune from this. Just felt like pointing it out, because following this thread, you'd think it was only the UK that had this problem when I see just the same crap happening in places like Germany or Holland, albeit not to the extent that you do here of course.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »

Something else to remember is that only a minority are as bad as all this.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2006, 05:11:46 PM by afleitch »

Something else to remember is that only a minority are as bad as all this.

I agree. And recently I have been becoming increasingly annoyed at sweeping statements from politicians, commentaors and journalists that seems to see evey person under the age of 20 as an automatic menace to society simply because of their age (and an increasingly selfish baby boom generation that seems to be pulling the welfare state ladder from beneath them but that's another matter!)

There will always be tearaways and genuine dangers to society, but we have a society that is increasingly intolerant of children, yet at the same time indoctrinate their own children with misplaced fears over 'strangers', their estranged parents, teachers, doctors, the police and the peadophiles that apparently lurk everywhere (ignoring the fact that 9 out of 10 cases of sexual abuse occur within the family unit)

But then again, every generation complains about it's youth.

EDIT: To topically quote from A. Marwick (any excuse to get use out of those old books!) who saw the late 50's and early sixties (yes those rowdy teens some of whom are now pensioners Wink ) as 'a retreat from the social controls imposed in the Victorian era by evangelicalism and non-conformity'

Indeed as early as 1960 Sir Cyril Black et al tried to fight against 'obscenity' and 'increasing immorality';

The old adage 'every generation hates the one before' (and vice versa!) has never been more true Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »

Marwick knew a lot about excessive drinking Grin

Good historian though
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »

Marwick knew a lot about excessive drinking Grin

Good historian though

At least he remembered enough about the 60's to write about it Smiley

Still Edinburgh was a dour and desolate place then and was by no means as 'cultured' as it sees itself today so he would have stood out like a somewhat goudy sore thumb. And good on him too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2006, 10:31:46 PM »

Naturally the Anglo-Saxon model of laissez-faire capitalism, extreme inequality, and full State support of the owning class without any recognition of the other 98% of the population will tend to alienate the majority of working-class youth, who have nothing to hope for under this system but a life of unremitting toil and serious scarcity. 

The Continental model, of course, encourages a sense that these youth 'belong' in society by giving them a minor political voice, through real center-left parties, and a higher degree of economic equality and hope for future improvement.

Congratulations on demonstrating your complete and utter ignorance of how the British economy and welfare systems are structured (I won't go into your amusing assertion about a mythical "Continental model"...).

Why not?  Can't make a case?  Obviously the British system is as I said it is, relatively speaking.  And obviously the welfare states of Germany, Scandinavia, the Benelux countries, and even France are far more generous - and more secure - than those of Britain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Your dislike of my analysis does not constitute a refutation, Al. 

I was not referring to consumption of alcohol, but of a psychological condition resulting from oppression - alienation.  Class - as a cultural phenomenon - is merely a reflection of real power relationships - people look down upon the poor because they are powerless, and in a very real sense lesser persons than their betters.  Pointing out the influence of class upon 'individual behavior' is not a different analysis than the one I gave in my original post.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2006, 06:14:21 AM »

Obviously the British system is as I said it is, relatively speaking.

No it isn't actually. Please do some research before making wild claims.

Do you even know what you're talking about here? The welfare systems of those countries are, usually, nothing like each other at all and the principles that set them up are frequently very different.

Btw, the overall welfare state in the U.K has a great deal of public support and has done since it was create. We grumble about it, but like it really.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies