Opinion of Neville Chamberlain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:45:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Neville Chamberlain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of former UK Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain?
Freedom fighter

Horrible person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Opinion of Neville Chamberlain  (Read 771 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2022, 04:15:51 AM »

Poll inspired by the newly released film Munich - The Edge of War.

Actually difficult to rate on FF/HP terms in my opinion. I think he definitely acted in good faith hoping to prevent a war, but on the other hand, willingly surrendered to Hitler's territorial demands in 1938 and lacked foresight what was about to come although the signs were there. So if forced to chose, I'm voting HP.

I still find it unfortunate he died just months after leaving office in 1940, long before the war reached its final stages.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 04:40:21 AM »

Nice Guy, FF Smile
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 08:10:48 AM »

FF. He was far from some vile person who stood out for naivity or whatnot. Prevailing attitudes of the day didn't want another bloody war in Europe that might render their sons dead in the field. Huge numbers of people wanted peace, only problem that Adolf Hitler was not one of them. Not going ahead with war was a mistake in retrospect, but only huge amounts of hindsight could inform that, and as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
Chamberlain acted quickly and vigorously against Hitler when the illusion of a man who allegedly just wanted to unify Germans under his banner was shattered.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 10:21:57 AM »

HP. Even on a personal level he wasn't very nice. Look up what Attlee had to say about him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 12:01:07 PM »

HP. Even on a personal level he wasn't very nice. Look up what Attlee had to say about him.

There's also his private comment about Labour voters: 'but they ARE scum'. Certainly not a universal sentiment amongst senior Conservatives of the era, his own brother included.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:03:07 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2022, 09:47:40 PM by Klobmentum »

FF, not because I actually think he's a FF, but because his almost universally negative reputation is based on a major misnomer. Chamberlain didn't pursue appeasement because he was afraid of a negative reaction from Brits exhausted from war, nor did he think Hitler was acceptable or at least appease-worthy. Chamberlain knew the war had to happen, he knew it would happen and that Britain had to be on the frontlines of the war. But he also knew that Britain had to rebuild its military capabilities before they could beat Germany, and he knew that building the proper alliance would take time thar they didn't have. He didn't appease Hitler; he stalled. He knew history would view him as a coward while viewing Churchill as a hero, and did it anyway because it had to be done; Churchill knew this too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »

I was not aware of this.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 01:02:25 PM »

Didn’t he and Halifax want to surrender to Hitler after the fall of France and tried to bring down Churchill’s government for wanting to fight on . Massive HP then
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 01:29:38 PM »

British, horrible.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 02:45:13 PM »

People with doubts as to whether or not Chamberlain was a good guy would do well to check out the Norway Debate.

The Norway Debate (and its background right back to the Baldwin govt) also illustrate what great men Churchill and Attlee were.  Attlee really shone in this debate.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »

I resist my urge to say that he is 10 times the leader compared to our current Prime Minister, because that would be motivated by hate rather than any answer to the question, but yeah, not great. As mentioned, a generally dislikeable figure, despite being a slight bogeyman as far as history is concerned.

But I suspect he inherited that dislikeability from his father - but just lacked the achievements to redeem himself (particularly if you emphasise his father's municipal career).

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »

HP. A tragic figure who was pretty much in denial about the danger posed by the Nazis. And just surrendering territories for appeasement wasn't that great either, although it bought the UK some time to build up defense capabilities.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies