If the pandemic never happened what would the results have been? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:00:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If the pandemic never happened what would the results have been? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Without the pandemic what are the results of the election?
Trump is re-elected

Biden narrowly wins like in real life

Biden wins by more than he did in real life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: If the pandemic never happened what would the results have been?  (Read 2679 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: January 02, 2022, 04:03:30 AM »

It is very easy to see people thinking that with the economy in good shape and no other disasters for the country, they should just stick with the incumbent. He would lose the popular vote because of his personality but in hindsight he was on track to be re-elected. Covid meant that re-electing him wasn't the safe option anymore because things were going badly for normal people and he gave the impression that he was not in control.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 02:50:47 AM »

It's clear now Trump would've been reelected if not for Covid despite what I thought at the time. So if you wanted to find the silver lining of the pandemic, I guess that would be it

Dems would have been far better off throughout the 2020s had Trump won in 2020. The pandemic has been a disaster for Democrats.

My response:
Possibly, but no one will ever convince me Trump winning 2020 would be good for Democrats. Trump was a dangerous lunatic, it is an immeasurable good he is no longer in a position of power, for now at least.

The 2020's are likely to be bad for the democrats but it is not yet certain and I think it's a little absurd to suggest that giving Trump a second victory would change the facist trajectory of the GOP or the slow death of American democracy.

Giving Trump a second term would make it more likely for Democrats to actually get a governing majority in 2024 or at least have a seat at the table throughout the decade due to control of the House.

For all we know though they could have lost a few seats in the 2024 Senate races while gaining the presidency so done similarly or worse to 2020, especially if without the pandemic they choked badly in the 2020 Senate races.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies