Your background with firearms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:36:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your background with firearms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What is your background with firearms?
I own/ have owned a gun

I have never owned a gun but lived in a place with one

I have never lived with a gun but have shot one before

I have never lived with or shot a gun but have seen one irl before

I have never seen a gun irl

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Your background with firearms  (Read 1994 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2022, 05:27:39 PM »

I have an intense personal dislike of them. I don't even like to see them actually. I don't like hearing shots in the forest, and intensely dislike hunting.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2022, 06:20:43 PM »

Option 5 (standard urban non-American answer)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »

I have an intense personal dislike of them. I don't even like to see them actually. I don't like hearing shots in the forest, and intensely dislike hunting.

Personal dislike is all well and good, but I'm growing increasingly impatient with moral rhetoric against hunting in recent years, since (at least in the case of large prey animals like deer) human hunters are just filling the ecological niche that their natural predators did before we mostly extirpated them from the Eastern US. The alternative would be reintroducing wolves en masse even in suburban areas, which would be cool but is probably a nonstarter.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2022, 07:17:40 PM »

Don't like guns and don't want anything to do with them. I don't have anything against hunting, though. It's the people who own guns for """self-defense""" who are a scourge on society.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2022, 07:19:46 PM »

Personal dislike is all well and good, but I'm growing increasingly impatient with moral rhetoric against hunting in recent years, since (at least in the case of large prey animals like deer) human hunters are just filling the ecological niche that their natural predators did before we mostly extirpated them from the Eastern US. The alternative would be reintroducing wolves en masse even in suburban areas, which would be cool but is probably a nonstarter.

It's cool because of the reasons it's a nonstarter. People with decadent suburban lifestyles are exactly the sort of folk who ought to be reminded of the power of other predators and learn to both love and fear Diana. I have a vague complex of millenarian beliefs related to this idea in the context of civilizational collapse, but knowing the forces at play it's unfortunately most likely that any such event would take out our closest rival species rather than increasing their power relative to us.

I'm strongly interested in learning to hunt myself, but I'd rather do it with bows and arrows or other such implements in keeping with my general aspirations to achieve a synthesis of my current means of existence with a Mesolithic air. There's something very impersonal about firearms to me that's perhaps suitable for intimidation but feels out of place when engaging in an act so primal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2022, 07:30:18 PM »

I have been to a shooting range a couple of times. Fun stuff.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »

On this matter, my preferences are not meant to be policy prescriptions, and and certainly are not meant to define the line between good and evil.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2022, 06:14:27 AM »

On this matter, my preferences are not meant to be policy prescriptions, and and certainly are not meant to define the line between good and evil.

I agree with you.

I dislike hunting for sport or mass clearance too. It is not our place to 'replace' predators we hunted. It's our responsibility to reintroduce predators and certainly here in Scotland the backlash to reintroducing them comes from landowners, farmers and those who profit from hunting.

I think hunting with guns is one sided. I appreciate and understand tracking and stalking. I respect traditional hunting with skill and weaponry where you can lose as well as win. But rifling game like fish in a barrel after lunch but before drinks just sits unwell with me.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2022, 08:47:48 AM »

Sadly, none.

Apart from Station owners, I don't know anyone who owns a gun.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »

Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2022, 10:05:18 AM »

I have been to a shooting range a couple of times. Fun stuff.

Wtf based Ferguson97??
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »

#3. Shot several types of guns at several occasions, but never lived with one or owned one.

Am surprised by the number of people who never shot one or even saw one given how American this forum is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2022, 12:10:03 PM »

3, will be a 1 someday
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2022, 03:25:28 PM »

Shot guns many times, including machine guns at Knob Creek in Kentucky. Roommate owns several guns. Will own one myself in a year or two.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2022, 06:10:54 AM »

I had to strap an M9 or an M4 (sometimes both) for close to 4 years overseas and had to qual annually on them, along with other weapons, so I kinda outgrew by gun fetish when I was like 21.

Fun factoid of the day:  the Germans pulled my drivers license for 30 days for speeding (lol), so for about 2 weeks I worked a detail in a NATO armory, where I handled Glocks, Brownings, and those weird British bullpups...but unfortunately never got to take any of them out to the range. 
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2022, 07:11:21 AM »

#2, and I grew up in a rural part of Oregon with family members who all pretty much own guns, ranging from pistols to semi-automatics.

Let me take this chance to say; repeal & replace the second amendment!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 02:13:21 AM »

Only gun I've ever fired said Daisy on the side. Briefly handled my law partners automatic rifle, But did not fire.

Own a crossbow and am a decent shot when in practice.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2022, 02:21:18 AM »

#4 given I have seen a police officer and been to museums. Fortunately, I've never seen one actually be used.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2022, 02:26:29 AM »

I technically own a gun a relative(don't remember exactly who at the moment) gave to me. I've gone out to shoot improvised targets with my dad a few times, but I'm a bit too scatterbrained/ADHD to feel comfortable and confident I won't violate gun safety rules when I zone out and/or aren't paying attention.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2022, 02:57:33 AM »

They weren't my guns but my dad and brother have a small armory's worth of guns in the vault in the garage. We would go shooting every now and then as a teenager. I always thought of handguns as cool but firing the rifles was more fun
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2022, 05:49:50 AM »

I've fired a few guns over the years. Do antique guns count even if they likely don't function anymore? If so then I used to live with those in the house.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »

Option 3.  So fun, and I was actually a bit better than I thought I’d be!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2022, 10:49:02 AM »

Option three. I want to buy a gun, but I have a ton of other things on my plate these days.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2022, 02:07:58 PM »

I may or may not own 16. My favorite is my (hypothetical) AK47. I lovez muh gunz.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2022, 04:30:55 PM by Sun Belt Booster »

Option 2, have lived in a place with a gun but never shot one

Don't like guns and don't want anything to do with them. I don't have anything against hunting, though. It's the people who own guns for """self-defense""" who are a scourge on society.

In many places this is a very real worry and has saved people I know personally's lives.
It's probably the most legitimate reason to own a gun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies