SB 106-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 106-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SB 106-15: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act (Passed)  (Read 4454 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2021, 07:17:33 PM »
« edited: May 08, 2022, 03:46:37 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

AN ACT
To repeal provisions of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Amendments Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. Section II, Subsections D.) and E.) of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety, effective immediately.

Sponsor: Western Democrat
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 07:45:44 PM »

Not supportive of this, and not going to repeat old arguments that I've already stated multiple times.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2021, 08:15:00 PM by Senator WD »

This is a bill that the Senate has already passed last session, although unfortunately the previous President vetoed it. Now that we have an administration in office that is supportive of gun rights, the time to pass this has never been better. Simply put, this bill repeals the most extreme and egregious provisions of the original AWB ban, specifically it repeals the ban on some pistols. I hope that the Senate will join me in supporting this and send it to the President’s desk as soon as possible.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 08:07:03 PM »

Well it is a certain type of pistol, that would be semi-automatic ones, current law does not ban all pistols, only certain forms of semi-automatic (not even all semi-autos). As a reminder, these types of weapons do not require being reloaded after each shot, so many, many bullets can be fired in a short amount of time. These are high capacity, dangerous weapons that should not be on the streets. In fact, the gun used in the recent Michigan shooting was indeed a semiautomatic handgun (also known as a pistol), just because these may not be as imposing as say semiautomatic rifles, does not mean that these are not dangerous weapons. Frankly, this amendment would massively undermine the entire legislation and our entire effort to combat gun violence, and I urge a no vote.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »

I could support this legislation with some modifications.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 09:17:35 PM »

We already know this is going to pass. Motion for a final vote.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 10:20:37 PM »

Of course I support this. I don’t know how much debate there is to be had over this topic. Agree with Deadprez we should move for a vote early.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 10:30:00 PM »

Object to the motion, there's been literally no debate, and it's so surprising that DeadPrez wants to rush this through when he couldn't be bothered to his job for like the past 6 months.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 01:28:51 AM »

Object to the motion, there's been literally no debate, and it's so surprising that DeadPrez wants to rush this through when he couldn't be bothered to his job for like the past 6 months.

Calm down child
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 01:30:07 AM »

The bill passed before and I highly doubt anyone's mind has changed since  the former president vetoed it. We shouldn't waste time with S019 crying over guns. Unless another member of this legislature wants to change their vote from last time, let's proceed.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 01:32:08 AM »

I don’t often find myself agreeing with DeadPrez, but I guess anything’s possible  Grin. We’ve already debated this bill, and there is really not much to say. The votes for this bill to pass are there and S019 is only delaying the inevitable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 02:43:43 AM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=463736.0
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 02:01:29 PM »

It appears that a clear majority of the Senate is determined to get this through to the Presidents desk. I, at least, will not stand in their way and waste this body’s time on what appears to be pointless rehashing of old talking points.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »

It appears that a clear majority of the Senate is determined to get this through to the Presidents desk. I, at least, will not stand in their way and waste this body’s time on what appears to be pointless rehashing of old talking points.

It's not talking points this is an ill-advised bill and it's being pushed at a tone-deaf time given it literally legalizes weapons that were used in a recent mass shooting.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 06:04:27 PM »

Well Congress has changed since then, and I don't understand the insistence on rehashing this old fight. Besides, I still haven't one argument in favor of this besides "free dumb," which ofc translates to "America: the land where you have the freedom to die or be killed."
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 07:30:26 PM »

Well Congress has changed since then, and I don't understand the insistence on rehashing this old fight.

So you favor us going to a vote then? Tongue
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 09:34:51 PM »

S019 doesn't actually want to debate he just wants to lecture and pontificate.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »

Can some1 second the motion
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 07:51:42 PM »

We already know this is going to pass. Motion for a final vote.

Seconding this
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 08:10:48 PM »

Objection again and I will be proposing an amendment later today that I think strikes a fair compromise
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 08:15:29 PM »

Objection again and I will be proposing an amendment later today that I think strikes a fair compromise

This bill is a compromise. Or would you rather we pass a full repeal?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »

no1 is gonna vote for ur amendment
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 09:09:56 PM »

Wait so are we proceeding to cloture vote?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 10:06:13 PM »

Here:

Section II of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban is amended as follows and the rest of the bill shall be renumbered in its entirety:

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F. D.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

4a. The following weapons shall be available to purchase but only to those who have passed a background check, have no history of mental illness or current mental illness, and have no criminal record:

A.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

B.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

4b. Any individual who purchases one of these weapons must register it with the government. Additionally, any individuals who purchases one of these weapons must attend a monthly session with a psychiatrist to assess their mental well-being and ensure that they are able to handle such a weapon. If the psychiatrist decides that they are not able to, the weapon must be turned in. If any criminal act is committed while an individual is in possession of this weapon, they must turn it in.

no1 is gonna vote for ur amendment

At least I actually bother to do my job and not just show up once a month to vote.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 10:15:14 PM »

Objection to the amendment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to: