SB 105-03: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Repeal Act (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 105-03: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Repeal Act (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SB 105-03: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Repeal Act (Rejected)  (Read 3380 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2021, 07:19:13 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2021, 03:24:28 AM by Senator Scott, PPT🎃 »

AN ACT
To repeal the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Repeal Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. The Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act is hereby repealed in its entirety effective immediately.
Sponsor: Western Democrat

The gentleman from Oregon is recognized.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »

Thank you.

It is long past time to repeal this foolish bill. The ban has done nothing to actually address gun violence; the overwhelming majority of shootings do NOT involve automatic weapons, and “assault weapon” is a very meaningless and vague term that can include weapons that are far less powerful and lethal than a simple hunting rifle. All in all, this bill has and remains a gross infringement upon the liberties of Atlasian citizens. I have always maintained that the right to bear arms is a necessity for a free and secure people. I ask my colleagues for their support.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:24:56 PM »

I don't intend on supporting this and anyone who wants to know why is welcome to look through my post history.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »

I think I've made my stance on this issue very known. I voted against the original AWB and stand by that vote, and so I intend on voting for this but know that it is very unlikely to pass this Senate or the administration.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »

Lol this again.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:48:02 PM »

Considering that the 1994 AWB did not have any discernible impact on homocides, I support this bill.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 04:27:38 AM »

The purpose of the federal assault weapons ban is not to decrease violent crime within cities but to address another problem of the prevalence of mass shootings. I stand firm in preventing these incidences.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 08:16:21 AM »

The purpose of the federal assault weapons ban is not to decrease violent crime within cities
This sounds like racism considering how most of the inhabitants of the city who stereotypically commit crimes are black.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 06:00:20 PM »

I support this repeal effort.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »

I am not open to a full repeal, only repeal of certain sections.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 09:23:00 AM »

Will use my tie breaker if needed to stop this repeal.

The assault weapon ban was one of the centre pieces of progressive reform carried out by Labor, survived a challenge in court and other repeal efforts. I’d urge senators to put public health and common sense first and vote against this repeal.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 06:05:04 PM by Senator WD »

Offering an amendment to narrow the scope of the repeal. While I would rather not do this, if it makes it more palatable to my fellow Senators who have concerns about a full repeal, so be it. The focus here is on the pistol ban, by far the most extreme and egregious portion of the AWB.

AN ACT
To repeal provisions of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Repeal Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. Section II, Subsections D.) and E.) of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety effective immediately.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »

No objection, considering this bill would need the President's signature. I would also like to keep Section III anyway.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »

The original bill for the reference. (this was the senate approved one which I'm 99% sure is final)

Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

SECTION I: Name and Intent

A.) This bill may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section II: Criteria

1.) There shall be a nationwide ban on the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of assault weapons. The criteria laid out in Section 3A to shall be used to classify assault weapons.

2.) The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; or (4) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

3.) Any of the following features shall classify a firearm as an 'Assault Weapon'.

A.) Any semi automatic rifle which has a High Capacity Magazine (see Section III) which can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

B.) Any firearm which has a bayonet lug.

C.) Any firearm which has a threaded barrel.

D.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip.

E.) Any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

F.) Any semi-automatic shotgun with one or more of the following criteria; a pistol grip, a forward grip, a detachable magazine or a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

SECTION III: High Capacity Magazine Ban

A.) A large capacity ammunition feeding device is hereby classified as any device including a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept rounds above the limits in Section 2 A, E and F.

C.) The above shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this Act.

Section IV

A.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed before the enactment of this act.

B.) This Act shall not apply to any firearm purchased, owned, manufactured or possessed for law enforcement or Military purposes.

SECTION V: TIMING

1. This bill shall take effect 6 months after being enacted.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 06:04:04 PM »

Offering an amendment to narrow the scope of the repeal. While I would rather not do this, if it makes it more palatable to my fellow Senators who have concerns about a full repeal, so be it. The focus here is on the pistol ban, by far the most extreme and egregious portion of the AWB.

AN ACT
To repeal provisions of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Definitions

2. Section II, Subsections D.) and E.) of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety effective immediately.

Just FYI, I made a typo on the amendment; the intention is to repeal D and E, not D and C.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Definitions

Just FYI, I made a typo on the amendment; the intention is to repeal D and E, not D and C.

I support this amendment.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 06:17:38 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Definitions

Requesting clarification on what D and E are and why they, specifically should be removed from this act. I would like to make an informed vote on this bill.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 06:42:23 PM »

Objecting to the amendment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 06:49:35 PM »

Per Senator OBD's request, a vote will open on the amendment pending clarification.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Definitions

Requesting clarification on what D and E are and why they, specifically should be removed from this act. I would like to make an informed vote on this bill.

VP Blair has already laid out the full text of the original law for all to view, but for clarification, Sections D and E deal with pistols. Section D bans the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip. Section E bans the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

To answer the Senator’s question of why they should be removed; Well, these restrictions on pistols, one of the most commonly owned firearms, are, for a lack of a better term, ridiculous. They don’t even ban pistols wholesale, but ban them based upon the capacity of its magazine and the location of it. I’ve seen little evidence that these convoluted restrictions have done anything to save lives. I would have prefer a total repeal of the AWB, but I’ve become skeptical the support exists for it at the moment. In the interest of legislative feasibility, this amendment is the best path forward in my view for those who support gun rights. Repealing these provisions are a good first step.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 07:58:02 PM »

A vote is now open on the amendment. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: Amendment
AN ACT

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Definitions

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 07:58:27 PM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp