Is “Brandon” the new “Drumpf?”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:53:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is “Brandon” the new “Drumpf?”
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Thread
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Is “Brandon” the new “Drumpf?”  (Read 670 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2021, 10:39:57 PM »

Yes (sane).

Both are lame “inside joke” nicknames adopted by opponents of the president that played themselves out VERY quickly and somehow became even less funny every time they were used, truly saying something because they were never funny in the first place. And now anyone who uses either unironically outs themselves immediately as a cringe hack who has a terrible sense of humor and thinks they are far more clever than they actually are.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 10:47:44 PM »

The original Let's Go Brandon incident was admittedly pretty funny since it was unintentional which is more than I can say about "Drumpf" since John Oliver is one of the least funny hosts in a painfully unfunny industry, although conservatives are trying their hardest to run Let's Go Brandon into the ground as quickly as possible.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 10:53:09 PM »

I think it's worth noting that John Oliver never once used "Drumpf" after his initial segment with it, meaning that even he and his writers no doubt realized it was quite lame and I bet it was probably the creation of some new intern or something that managed to make it into the final script.

Meanwhile idiots are only doubling down on the "Brandon" thing.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »

Yup, for reasons already stated.

That said, I prefer "orange buffoon" to "Drumpf". The "Make Donald Drumpf again" was for sure a funny meme.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 10:23:26 AM »

Perhaps.  And at least it was funny the first ten or fifteen times.  Drumpf was a pretty dumb meme.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »

I think it's worth noting that John Oliver never once used "Drumpf" after his initial segment with it, meaning that even he and his writers no doubt realized it was quite lame and I bet it was probably the creation of some new intern or something that managed to make it into the final script.

Meanwhile idiots are only doubling down on the "Brandon" thing.

And the Drumpf segment was initially to make a point about how Trump’s whole brand is his name and he’s nothing without it, before it became just “haha funny name”.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »

Oliver's "Drumpf" segment has its own featured Wikipedia article, which definitely elevates the cringe factor for that one

This is untrue.  Last Week Tonight kept leaning into the Drumpf joke for months after the initial segment; the Drumpfinator (a Google Chrome extension  to change instances of "Trump" to "Drumpf" is still up, for example
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 10:55:43 AM »

Oliver's "Drumpf" segment has its own featured Wikipedia article, which definitely elevates the cringe factor for that one

This is untrue.  Last Week Tonight kept leaning into the Drumpf joke for months after the initial segment; the Drumpfinator (a Google Chrome extension  to change instances of "Trump" to "Drumpf" is still up, for example

Can you cite any episodes later where John Oliver referred to him as "Drumpf"?

The Chrome extension still being up just shows it would take more effort to remove it than leave it there.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 11:57:10 AM »

I briefly had that extension and posters here bit my head off because it changed the spelling in quotes too.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »

Drumpf was lame and probably our worst president, Brandon is amazing, hope he gets where he's going.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 01:48:40 PM »

I guess there's Slick Willy Blythe, Dumbya, and Obummer, too right?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 01:49:00 PM »

I hardly heard anyone use "Drumpf", whereas "Brandon" has very quickly become ridiculously overused.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »

It's better
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 04:57:36 PM »

Brandon is stupid enough to be kind of funny even if it was beaten into the ground, Drumf was just lame and dumb from its inception
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »

Brandon is stupid enough to be kind of funny even if it was beaten into the ground, Drumf was just lame and dumb from its inception
For the record this summarizes what I think of "ORANGE MAN DONALD TRUMP" and why it's far superior to "Drumpf", with the latter part summarizing that accurately.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »

"Drumpf" is an inherently funny-sounding word. The Brandon thing is an esoteric in-joke that you need to be an obsessive news watcher to even understand. A better comparison might be the covfefe thing, though even that wasn't as obscure.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 07:54:36 PM »

I refuse to learn what this means or is a reference to.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »

Brandon was actually funny. Drumpf was always cringe.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »

Both "Let's go Brandon" and "Drumpf" are dumb
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »

"Drumpf" is an inherently funny-sounding word. The Brandon thing is an esoteric in-joke that you need to be an obsessive news watcher to even understand. A better comparison might be the covfefe thing, though even that wasn't as obscure.
Really? We're calling other people's names "inherently funny" now? Imagine saying the same thing about a guy with an African or Chinese name? Oh wait, your side does it all the time and gets away with it because lefties can't be racist. Remember when Joe Biden said you can't go to a 7-Eleven without having a slight Indian accent? Oh, so funny, Joe!

Also, the Drumpf thing was not a little filler joke. It was the feature of that episode with props and production. And there were posters here who beat that horse to death and beyond.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »

As Santander alluded to, the big difference between the two is that "Let's Go Brandon" isn't racist.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 12:35:07 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2021, 02:21:36 PM by Butlerian Jihad »

"Brandon" also has the virtue of being difficult to extend into something even less funny than it already is on its own, whereas "Drumpf" opened the door to truly abysmal Political Movie-tier "humor" like that one poster who called him "Little-hands-Drumpf-Führer" (anyone else remember that?).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2021, 02:52:53 AM »

As Santander alluded to, the big difference between the two is that "Let's Go Brandon" isn't racist.
As noted above, the original point of "Drumpf" wasn't really racist, just to note that Trump's name was the only real thing he had going for him and the focus of almost all his (mostly failed) ventures. But once the context was stripped out and it became just "LOL, FUNNY NAME!" then it did come across as such. And yes Last Week Tonight did kind of encourage the stripping out of context with that stupid browser extension.

Still as I noted, the fact that LWT didn't even once use "Drumpf" in any later episodes to refer to Trump probably shows that John Oliver and his writers did at least realize how cringe it was and I'm sure if you questioned them about it privately they'd admit that. Although come to thin of it that episode actually did come close to the time when the show took a nosedive in the humor quality, while the more recent episodes (like the last one which covered how outdated the country's power grids are and the issues with upgrading them, another important but rarely discussed topic, the sort of thing LWT got credit for bringing to the forefront) are as noted at least bringing to light the sort of overlooked but important issues that LWT was known for its heyday, its humor quality isn't back to the early seasons, you can tell the writers have gotten lazy and just keep relying on the same snowclones and the typical "use a metaphor to describe the issue but make it really absurd and over the top" tactic over and over again. So maybe that episode was a bit of an unfortunate watershed event. (I can't remember if the episode about how much of a dumb idea Trump's wall proposal was came before or after it, but that one was brilliant and actually quite funny.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2021, 06:29:27 AM »

Really? We're calling other people's names "inherently funny" now? Imagine saying the same thing about a guy with an African or Chinese name? Oh wait, your side does it all the time and gets away with it because lefties can't be racist. Remember when Joe Biden said you can't go to a 7-Eleven without having a slight Indian accent? Oh, so funny, Joe!

Also, the Drumpf thing was not a little filler joke. It was the feature of that episode with props and production. And there were posters here who beat that horse to death and beyond.

It is a fact that some names sound incredibly funny in a foreign language (hell, some names are really funny in their own language too - ask any French speaker about former Québec PM Couillard). Denying it is exactly the kind of performative wokeness that makes the left seem delusional. Of course you have to be careful not to weaponize in a way that reinforces real bigotry, but good f**king grief, I think German-Americans will be fine here.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2021, 07:16:26 AM »

both are cringe
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies