Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:44:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 474 475 476 [477] 478 479 480 481 482 ... 1162
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 879725 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11900 on: June 05, 2022, 09:00:30 AM »

What is going on in Severodonetsk?

Ukraine counterattacked and regain a part of the city, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of details.

For example, what are the casualties?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11901 on: June 05, 2022, 10:05:45 AM »

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/3509458-the-unpalatable-truth-in-ukraine/

"The unpalatable truth in Ukraine"

And the truth is, once we have eliminated all the impossible scenarios, the least improbable outcome of the war in Ukraine is a Russian victory.

It seems the DC establishment is preparing the way for a PR explanation of what they think is a Russia victory (I assume a limited Russian victory.)

The article provides very little evidence for its claim that pushing Russia back to February 24 lines is “impossible”. It’s improbable because the political will to provide Ukraine with the best tools to ensure this outcome is likely to remain absent, but the author makes no case as to why it is certain that this will remain true.

I don’t know why opinions about how this conflict will develop are voiced with such confidence given the uncertainties of a hot war and the poor track record of expert predictions prior to and during the early stages of this conflict.

BTW, I am not saying I agree with the assessments of the article only that it most likely refects the thinking of the DC establishment which could very be wrong. 

It mimics the Biden Op-ed in the WSJ where it pretty much said "We think that a total Russian defeat can be ruled out so we still need to co-exist with Putin.  Putin, here is the deal:  there is a limit to how much we will help Ukraine so please keep the conflict localized.  You two can just fight it out in the cage and we will also work to contain this conflict"

That approach might have more appeal if the Russian tactics did not rely on destroying everything in front of it in order to "liberate" the real estate from anything that might remind one of Ukraine and Ukrainians, with anyone found alive if not killed, forcibly shipped off to whatever gulag is available. As it is, taking more risk to stop and reverse something that is all too similar to genocide has considerably more appeal.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11902 on: June 05, 2022, 10:21:33 AM »

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/3509458-the-unpalatable-truth-in-ukraine/

And the truth is, once we have eliminated all the impossible scenarios, the least improbable outcome of the war in Ukraine is a Russian victory.

It seems the DC establishment is preparing the way for a PR explanation of what they think is a Russia victory (I assume a limited Russian victory.)
We hardly need a rich guy from Westchester New York to try and tell us about an establishment. Get outta here, why don’t you go speculate on the hypocrisy of this.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11903 on: June 05, 2022, 10:35:25 AM »

The article provides very little evidence for its claim that pushing Russia back to February 24 lines is “impossible”. It’s improbable because the political will to provide Ukraine with the best tools to ensure this outcome is likely to remain absent, but the author makes no case as to why it is certain that this will remain true.

I don’t know why opinions about how this conflict will develop are voiced with such confidence given the uncertainties of a hot war and the poor track record of expert predictions prior to and during the early stages of this conflict.

BTW, I am not saying I agree with the assessments of the article only that it most likely refects the thinking of the DC establishment which could very be wrong. 

It mimics the Biden Op-ed in the WSJ where it pretty much said "We think that a total Russian defeat can be ruled out so we still need to co-exist with Putin.  Putin, here is the deal:  there is a limit to how much we will help Ukraine so please keep the conflict localized.  You two can just fight it out in the cage and we will also work to contain this conflict"
Putin is an another Hitler. Hé won't stop at Ukraine and he only understands force
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11904 on: June 05, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »

Putin is an another Hitler. Hé won't stop at Ukraine and he only understands force

I am glad that someone understands.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11905 on: June 05, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11906 on: June 05, 2022, 11:57:26 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11907 on: June 05, 2022, 01:11:21 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 01:55:34 PM by Storr »

"Major General Roman Vladimirovich Kutuzov, nicknamed "Fog" 05/06/22 was tragically demilitarized in the village of Nikolaevka, Popasnyansky district, Luhansk region."

Kutuzov was the head of the 5th CAA from October 2017 to August 2018. There's a somewhat sketchy "Hindustan News Hub" article claiming Kutuzov  "commanded the 1st army corps of the self-proclaimed DPR, and gave the order to storm one of the settlements in the Donbass, and then was forced to lead it and died from Ukrainian artillery fire.

According to [Marine Corps officer of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Dmitry] Ivanov, this happened in the area of ​​the Artemovsk [Bakhmut] -Lysichansk highway, a key supply artery for the Ukrainian army, defending Severodonetsk, which the Russian army has been trying to take control of for more than a week."

https://hindustannewshub.com/russia-ukraine-news/another-russian-general-dies-in-donbass-the-moscow-times/

Nikolaevka/Mykolaivka, Luhansk Oblast appears to be here at 48.77707, 38.33159. That is indeed close to the Bakhmut-Lsyschansk Highway and located 17 km north of Popansa, which is from where the Russians are advancing (or at least trying to do so) towards the highway.
Logical

« Reply #11908 on: June 05, 2022, 02:16:52 PM »

"Major General Roman Vladimirovich Kutuzov, nicknamed "Fog" 05/06/22 was tragically demilitarized in the village of Nikolaevka, Popasnyansky district, Luhansk region."

Kutuzov was the head of the 5th CAA from October 2017 to August 2018. There's a somewhat sketchy "Hindustan News Hub" article claiming Kutuzov  "commanded the 1st army corps of the self-proclaimed DPR, and gave the order to storm one of the settlements in the Donbass, and then was forced to lead it and died from Ukrainian artillery fire.

According to [Marine Corps officer of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Dmitry] Ivanov, this happened in the area of ​​the Artemovsk [Bakhmut] -Lysichansk highway, a key supply artery for the Ukrainian army, defending Severodonetsk, which the Russian army has been trying to take control of for more than a week."

https://hindustannewshub.com/russia-ukraine-news/another-russian-general-dies-in-donbass-the-moscow-times/

Nikolaevka/Mykolaivka, Luhansk Oblast appears to be here at 48.77707, 38.33159. That is indeed close to the Bakhmut-Lsyschansk Highway and located 17 km north of Popansa, which is from where the Russians are advancing (or at least trying to do so) towards the highway.
https://tsargrad.tv/news/boj-za-donbass-kak-pogib-general-major-roman-kutuzov_560811

According to Russian sources he was the commander of DPR 1st Corps and died like a Napoleonic general, personally leading his men in an attack from the front (lol).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11909 on: June 05, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »

https://tsargrad.tv/news/boj-za-donbass-kak-pogib-general-major-roman-kutuzov_560811

According to Russian sources he was the commander of DPR 1st Corps and died like a Napoleonic general, personally leading his men in an attack from the front (lol).
A general as literal cannon fodder. Let that sink in.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11910 on: June 05, 2022, 05:10:27 PM »

Yesterday:

Today:

Russian media claims "NATO weapons" were being stored at the grain port facility and Ukrainian tanks were stored at the railway repair depot. Sure, Jan.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11911 on: June 05, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 09:57:48 PM by Storr »

Based.

Omega21

« Reply #11912 on: June 05, 2022, 08:13:45 PM »

Macron: Russia must not be humiliated in Ukraine

Typical cowardly form that confirms the worst stereotypes about France. The whole point of supporting Ukraine is to make sure the world knows that wars of aggression are harshly punished. That has to be a 'humiliation', or Russia will strike again. These selfish politicians-even people like Macron who aren't up for re election again-only caring about the short-term energy price shock threatens to undermine the whole response. Counting on Britain and the US to allow Zelensky to make his own choices about what, if any, concessions to grant.

Agree, partially.

Crimea is not on the table, so that is not really up for debate if we are being realistic. Moscow would rather nuke the UA roads to it than give it up.

Pre Feb occupied Donbas is also a must have "concession", although an autonomous region solution could work if Moscow was in a weak enough position. Keep in mind these areas are by now 90% on the Russian side, so simply occupying it would not work barring literal ethnic cleansing.

So if any is not really realistic.

Genuine question, is there any way of objectively assessing this?

(but have to say that 90% seems a bit high even now)

Not really, but makes a lot of sense.

It is like the Yugo civil wars. Even areas which did not suffer ethnic cleansing by force saw the minority of the region relocate.

Anyway, yes, 90% might be too high, so I would say that at least 80% of the current residents of the (pre Feb occupied) Donbas are firmly against UA.

As for Crimea, I am also fairly certain that a fully free and fair referendum would get at least 60+% in favor of joining Russia in 2014. Thats why I did not really care that much about it, and the fact that it was *almost* bloodless.

Obviously what we have going on now is not comparable in any way, and differs little from bloodthirsty wars of conquest of the past.
Logical

« Reply #11913 on: June 05, 2022, 09:31:15 PM »

Zelensky managed to visit Lysychansk earlier today. Which means that Ukraine will fight and not retreat from the Severodonetsk salient.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11914 on: June 05, 2022, 11:33:24 PM »

Yesterday:
Today:
Russian media claims "NATO weapons" were being stored at the grain port facility and Ukrainian tanks were stored at the railway repair depot. Sure, Jan.

I join my fellow forumites in calling for Russian reparation payments to rebuild Ukraine once this is all over.  And for those Ukrainians who were sent to the far reaches of Siberia to be returned to their homes.   
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11915 on: June 05, 2022, 11:39:36 PM »

Yesterday:
Today:

I join my fellow forumites in calling for Russian reparation payments to rebuild Ukraine once this is all over.  And for those Ukrainians who were sent to the far reaches of Siberia to be returned to their homes.   

Russia should pay reparations to a hell of a lot more countries than just Ukraine if inducing a worldwide famine is seriously part of their current strategy.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11916 on: June 06, 2022, 08:33:53 AM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11917 on: June 06, 2022, 08:40:13 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11918 on: June 06, 2022, 09:13:47 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11919 on: June 06, 2022, 09:15:31 AM »

Zelensky managed to visit Lysychansk earlier today. Which means that Ukraine will fight and not retreat from the Severodonetsk salient.

King
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11920 on: June 06, 2022, 12:19:17 PM »

Ukrainian National Guard in Severondetsk.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #11921 on: June 06, 2022, 04:45:15 PM »

lol

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11922 on: June 06, 2022, 05:08:11 PM »

Is Zelensky real? He seems more like an action hero of some video game. He is an amazing leader in all the ways that matter to the point that he seems, well almost a miracle, not only for Ukraine, but for us, or at least me (in that sense I am pleased to have lived long enough to witness such a remarkable person of erudition and virtu). And I think he will in the end be viewed as a critical vector in altering the trajectory of history, and shoring up the dikes against the flood of evil, and what must be done to balance the glories of an efficient free market, and the risk of becoming subject to the blackmail of evil. It is also an object lessen in priorities. Is it a high performance BMW, or a planet that is more civil and predicable, and just, whatever  just means.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11923 on: June 06, 2022, 05:35:21 PM »

Funny thing is that before the war not that many rated him (inside Ukraine or outside it)

In this sense as much as others, he may genuinely be their Churchill.
Omega21

« Reply #11924 on: June 06, 2022, 07:17:36 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2022, 07:24:51 PM by Omega21 »

The whole residential Severodonetsk has been lost to Russia.

ISW also retracted yesterdays map updates.

Apparently the "counter-offensive" was just hot air. (Russian shill poster, but the correspondent is UA aligned)

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 474 475 476 [477] 478 479 480 481 482 ... 1162  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies