Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:57:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 929512 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4425 on: February 28, 2022, 01:36:20 PM »

There aren't any casualties if you put them on a secret train:

WHERE DO YOU KEEP YOUR DEAD?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4426 on: February 28, 2022, 01:40:15 PM »

CNN reporting a new advance towards Mykolaiv.
I suspect this is part of a move to attack Kyiv through the back door by going up the Southern Bug and then through Bila Tserkva. Hopefully I am wrong and/or it fails.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4427 on: February 28, 2022, 01:41:21 PM »

While I’m waiting for the UNGA Special Session to assemble, debate, and vote on condemning Russia - it’s about the only way to determine the stances of the silent countries out there - and waiting for more information on what’s going on, and to avoid dooming, I thought I’d point out Freedom House came out with their yearly report and for the purposes of this thread I’ll show how various countries and entities rank on their Freedom Scale, for comparison.

This uses the new scale they’ve had since their 2013 edition, -4 through 100, and yes, both perfect scores - hey there Finland and Sweden - and negative scores - hi Syria - have occurred before.

The Bad Guys™️ (Credit dead0man):
Russia -> 19
Crimea -> 7
Eastern Donbas -> 4
South Ossetia -> 11
Abkhazia -> 40
Transnistria -> 18
Belarus -> 8
Syria -> 1
Iran -> 14
Cuba -> 12
Nicaragua -> 23
Venezuela -> 14
Eritrea -> 3
Central African Republic -> 7
China -> 9
Tibet -> 1
Hong Kong -> 43
North Korea -> 3
Myanmar -> 9
Yemen (the Houthis are every bit as bad as their opponents so this rating applies to all) -> 9

Also of Interest:
Serbia -> 62
Kosovo -> 56
Albania -> 67
Hungary -> 69
Montenegro -> 67
North Macedonia -> 67
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Serbs are worst but Croats and Bosnians aren’t far behind) -> 53
Croatia -> 85

Some Good Guys™️:
Ukraine -> 61
Moldova -> 62
Poland -> 81
Lithuania -> 89
Latvia -> 88
Estonia -> 94
Romania -> 83
Bulgaria -> 79

Token Evil Teammate:
Turkey -> 32

Because Someone Will Ask:
United States -> 83

Okay, just some context for the “both sides” arguments. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4428 on: February 28, 2022, 01:42:11 PM »

Quite masterful of the EU to simply sidestep NATO militarily. And NATO letting them.

From an anti-war standpoint, steps that take us toward a European army involve massive militarization, which cannot possibly be a good thing. Liberals who were critical of American imperialism can easily be won over to militarism when it's couched in the language of "European values". Certainly from an American perspective, the creation of an independent European military force involves a substantial diminution of American power abroad, which is not good. From my standpoint as a non-white non-European I have no interest in European values or the European political project, so it is distressing that NATO is allowing the European Union to absorb its role, even if there is nothing that can be done about it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4429 on: February 28, 2022, 01:44:37 PM »

CNN reporting a new advance towards Mykolaiv.
I suspect this is part of a move to attack Kyiv through the back door by going up the Southern Bug and then through Bila Tserkva. Hopefully I am wrong and/or it fails.
Certainly possible. Note this isn’t the first time they attacked Mykolaiv, the city has been exchanged a couple times in the past few days.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4430 on: February 28, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2022, 01:48:22 PM by Cody »

While I’m waiting for the UNGA Special Session to assemble, debate, and vote on condemning Russia - it’s about the only way to determine the stances of the silent countries out there - and waiting for more information on what’s going on, and to avoid dooming, I thought I’d point out Freedom House came out with their yearly report and for the purposes of this thread I’ll show how various countries and entities rank on their Freedom Scale, for comparison.

This uses the new scale they’ve had since their 2013 edition, -4 through 100, and yes, both perfect scores - hey there Finland and Sweden - and negative scores - hi Syria - have occurred before.

-snip-

Okay, just some context for the “both sides” arguments. Wink

something something neoliberalism, something something American imperialism, something something manufacturing consent, something something propaganda, something something racism, something something Israel, something something capitalism, something something something
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4431 on: February 28, 2022, 01:45:19 PM »

Also based:

What makes this better is that evidently she's actually Russian!

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4432 on: February 28, 2022, 01:46:13 PM »

Quite masterful of the EU to simply sidestep NATO militarily. And NATO letting them.

From an anti-war standpoint, steps that take us toward a European army involve massive militarization, which cannot possibly be a good thing. Liberals who were critical of American imperialism can easily be won over to militarism when it's couched in the language of "European values". Certainly from an American perspective, the creation of an independent European military force involves a substantial diminution of American power abroad, which is not good. From my standpoint as a non-white non-European I have no interest in European values or the European political project, so it is distressing that NATO is allowing the European Union to absorb its role, even if there is nothing that can be done about it.

Well, you should. How else is the United States going to have the resources to deal with the PRC?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4433 on: February 28, 2022, 01:54:59 PM »

LOL:

"Russian Foreign Ministry also says German weapons are now supplied to Ukrainian Nazis and we should question whether Germany was successfully cleansed of Nazism"

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1498356982797017088
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4434 on: February 28, 2022, 01:56:12 PM »

Also based:

What makes this better is that evidently she's actually Russian!

That’s really weird engine placement on the UAZ-452 “Bukhanka” vans.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #4435 on: February 28, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »

soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #4436 on: February 28, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »

LOL:

"Russian Foreign Ministry also says German weapons are now supplied to Ukrainian Nazis and we should question whether Germany was successfully cleansed of Nazism"

I’m sure the Russians are very concerned about all the power held by the NPD.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4437 on: February 28, 2022, 02:00:16 PM »

LOL:

Putin never got the memo that whomever plays the Nazi card first loses I guess.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4438 on: February 28, 2022, 02:02:05 PM »

LOL:

Today, I learned that Olaf Scholz is a Nazi. I mean, the signs were already there, like he has very little hair on top of his head.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4439 on: February 28, 2022, 02:02:55 PM »

Rubio has tweeted that he believes that Putin has ordered a siege of Kyiv. Sieges are one of the worst and most disgusting forms of warfare and directly target civilians to force resistance into submission. My mother says she is reminded of Bosnia…this is horrendous already but a Kyiv siege would be so much worse.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4440 on: February 28, 2022, 02:12:31 PM »

Rubio has tweeted that he believes that Putin has ordered a siege of Kyiv. Sieges are one of the worst and most disgusting forms of warfare and directly target civilians to force resistance into submission. My mother says she is reminded of Bosnia…this is horrendous already but a Kyiv siege would be so much worse.

Ukraine has the population of California. Chechnya has the population of Jacksonville. Bosnia has the population of Tampa or Orlando.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4441 on: February 28, 2022, 02:13:31 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4442 on: February 28, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2022, 02:21:22 PM by Storr »

"Air superiority"

Edit: This would have been in Russia.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4443 on: February 28, 2022, 02:15:57 PM »

This is pretty good move as well by Ukraine. As I said earlier, I even think the EU should consider to grant asylum to Russian soldiers that instantly quit.

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #4444 on: February 28, 2022, 02:16:39 PM »

LOL:

Today, I learned that Olaf Scholz is a Nazi. I mean, the signs were already there, like he has very little hair on top of his head.

>The Russians claim Scholz's government has Nazis
>Germany is governed by a SPD coalition with the FDP and the Greens
>The SPD is a social-democratic party
>Tankies call social-democrats "social fascists"
>Nazism is form of fascism

Putin is a confirmed tankie trying to recreate the Soviet Onion
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4445 on: February 28, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »

This is pretty good move as well by Ukraine. As I said earlier, I even think the EU should consider to grant asylum to Russian soldiers that instantly quit.

Given the POW videos we are seeing, I’m pretty sure most of the conscripts would throw down their arms for a hot meal, a call home, and a promise to be repatriated when this is over.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #4446 on: February 28, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »

As Zelenskyy said in his call to EU leaders which was vital in motivating them to step up their support, Ukrainians are dying for European values. It is a very good thing for anyone who supports liberal democracy that Europe’s leaders are more boldly standing up, united, for these values than ever before.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4447 on: February 28, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »

Given the POW videos we are seeing, I’m pretty sure most of the conscripts would throw down their arms for a hot meal, a call home, and a promise to be repatriated when this is over.

Or some sort of decent life if Putin doesn't want them back.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4448 on: February 28, 2022, 02:30:15 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4449 on: February 28, 2022, 02:36:47 PM »

Some more devastating news on the southern front, the Russians have reached Zaporizhzia. Even worse, Mariupol has been completely surrounded and is now sieged from land.

My best guess is that the Russians are attempting to reach Dnipro, but maybe they are going to try and cross the river? No matter what the situation in Southeastern Ukraine has been deteriorating rapidly.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies