Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:53:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 1171
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919478 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2021, 09:57:30 PM »

T-64s and T-72s! BigSerg should read his news clippings before posting them idiotically. The Russians look like quite a Paper Tiger!

Can you stop trolling? It's annoying to see "This user is currently ignored" in my thread. Thanks

Too bad! You quit being a glorified Twitter bot and I will stop! And also, what is the trolling? I am expressing my sincere opinion on the Russian tank corp on the border with Donbas.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »

I always post all the news and they are usually more pro-Ukrainian than pro-Russian. I have almost never given my personal opinion on the conflict and have limited myself to sharing what I consider important. So, stop trolling
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2021, 10:07:54 PM »

I always post all the news and they are usually more pro-Ukrainian than pro-Russian. I have almost never given my personal opinion on the conflict and have limited myself to sharing what I consider important. So, stop trolling

There is no trolling to speak of. But your first two sentences here are entirely false.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2021, 10:11:52 PM »

There is no trolling to speak of. But your first two sentences here are entirely false.

Quote. I have only given my personal opinion outside of this thread and all the "sources" I have posted are quite pro-Ukrainian
Good Habit
Rookie
Switzerland

« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2021, 03:20:04 AM »

Big Serg’s new signature indicates why nobody should pay his “posts” the slightest bit of mind. Very pathetic stuff!

Anything factually wrong with it? May be the expansion during the Tsarist period could be split, as half of it was added ("liberated from occupation by Poland") shortly after 1654, while the rest only followed in the late 18th century...
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2021, 04:18:06 AM »

Keep up the good fight KaiserDave Purple heart
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2021, 05:32:30 AM »

Lots of countries didn't exist at all in 1654, so what?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2021, 05:47:26 AM »

I think this map would look far better in the BigSerg's signature than the current one, which is truly map of Russian propaganda. On map which I post now there are amost all ethnic Ukrainian lands of of the beginning of 20th century and ethnic land of Crimean Tatars - Crimea. And all of these lands were controlled by Ukrainian People's Republic
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »

Big Serg’s new signature indicates why nobody should pay his “posts” the slightest bit of mind. Very pathetic stuff!

Anything factually wrong with it? May be the expansion during the Tsarist period could be split, as half of it was added ("liberated from occupation by Poland") shortly after 1654, while the rest only followed in the late 18th century...
It's more of the implications of the map rather than the lines. It implies:
A) That the Ukrainian culture and language solely existed in that small territory prior to 1654, which is of course totally wrong
B) That Ukraine was a co-equal partner in the Russian Empire that was receiving territory, as opposed to a subject and a victim of Russification

More importantly however, it relies on flawed concepts of blood and soil for undermining the Ukrainian state's right to exist today, as CumbrianLefty says.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2021, 10:27:16 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2021, 10:30:16 AM »

Not at all the sort of thing your mate Trump would ever do, he was so fastidious about these things.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »

Omega21

« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »

Not at all the sort of thing your mate Trump would ever do, he was so fastidious about these things.

Wouldn't you agree that Whataboutism brings little to the conversation?

Anyway, Ukraine should clean up their units if they already haven't. It's very weird seeing people flying Nato flags next to the Swastika lol. This pic might be years old, so they might have already done something about it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2021, 12:19:37 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2021, 12:48:05 PM by KaiserDave »

This is blatant Russian aggression. The west should not tolerate this. Strong diplomatic guarantees for Ukrainian independence and material support must be provided. Appeasement isn't an option, and doing so will enable China in Taiwan as well.

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2021, 10:43:15 PM »

Sir Woodbury 🤝 Twitter Tankies

One struggle

Anyway, Volodymyr Zelensky is Jewish, which makes these attempts to turn Ukraine into Nazi Germany 2.0 even more asinine
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2021, 11:36:37 PM »

The US and NATO need to put up the strongest diplomatic defense of Ukraine that can possibly happen without causing World War 3. Every step Russia takes in the wrong direction without backlash can mean anything from half of Ukraine being annexed to Taiwan being annexed by China and other authoritarian countries across the world. If we do not take the steps now, we will be in a world of hurt later.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2021, 07:53:07 AM »

Wouldn't you agree that Whataboutism brings little to the conversation?

Yeah sorry about that, but given who the poster was I just couldn't resist Wink
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:56 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2021, 01:30:45 PM by StateBoiler »

Not tied to this thread at all, but this "The Eastern Border" guy has a great Russian and Soviet history podcast. He's a Latvian and I listened to his first dozen or so episodes going through the history of the Soviet state and how much of a clusterf#ck it was.

He published a new episode on December 12th talking about the possibility of conflict between Russia and Ukraine and what certain people in Russia not reported on in Western circles are saying. He's very Baltic in his general outlook.  http://www.theeasternborder.lv/
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2021, 03:58:16 PM »

The US and NATO need to put up the strongest diplomatic defense of Ukraine that can possibly happen without causing World War 3. Every step Russia takes in the wrong direction without backlash can mean anything from half of Ukraine being annexed to Taiwan being annexed by China and other authoritarian countries across the world. If we do not take the steps now, we will be in a world of hurt later.

Agreed. Anything but a strong and coherent Western response would also embolden Putin with regard to other countries with a Russian minority, especially the Baltics, the Caucasus or the frozen Moldova-Transnistria conflict.

It's also unacceptable NATO ruling out certain countries to ever join the alliance since that violates the self-determination of these nations. You can't tell your neighbor which alliances he can join or not. And that NATO members of Eastern Europe are a treat to Russia is just an excuse since none of them would actually attack Russia. Putin just has no interest in Ukraine and others becoming functioning democracies that grant freedoms and produce wealth and prosperity because that would undermine his own position in Russia by showing the Western model is superior to his authoritarian state and the rule of oligarchs.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2021, 05:59:39 PM »

Sir Woodbury 🤝 Twitter Tankies

One struggle

Anyway, Volodymyr Zelensky is Jewish, which makes these attempts to turn Ukraine into Nazi Germany 2.0 even more asinine

And the leader of Proud Boys is Black, you're saying?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2021, 06:04:33 PM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »

BigSerg
7sergi9