Washingtonexaminer: Youngkin +4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:14:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washingtonexaminer: Youngkin +4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Washingtonexaminer: Youngkin +4  (Read 1678 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2021, 08:57:32 AM »

I'll acknowledge that there does seem to be movement toward Youngkin (though exaggerated), even if this is just due to people with no expertise in education thinking they understand it better than education professionals. I'll move this to Lean D for now, and modify my prediction to McAuliffe +3.5, but I'll note that I did the same thing in 2017. I'll be mad if my prediction is off by the same amount again.

What are you even referring to here? This is quite a condescending way to dismiss just about anybody who has legitimate concerns with their kids' public education (which gets funded by their taxes).

Eh, you're being VERY generous here. The issue at hand is not at all about "parents who have legitimate concerns with their kids public education" considering most of the issues talked about in this race (like CRT) are nonexistent and is all about the culture war. This all started because nutjob parents going to school board meetings wanted to ban masks, books, etc. These are not people in good faith.

If parents have that much of a "concern" about their kids education where they can't trust the teachers to teach, then put your kids in homeschool.

That's just like... you're opinion bro.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »

I'll acknowledge that there does seem to be movement toward Youngkin (though exaggerated), even if this is just due to people with no expertise in education thinking they understand it better than education professionals. I'll move this to Lean D for now, and modify my prediction to McAuliffe +3.5, but I'll note that I did the same thing in 2017. I'll be mad if my prediction is off by the same amount again.

What are you even referring to here? This is quite a condescending way to dismiss just about anybody who has legitimate concerns with their kids' public education (which gets funded by their taxes).

No, I'm referring to parents who treat teachers with no respect whatsoever and think they understand better how education is supposed to work. In many countries, teaching is a respected profession, and both parents and students view teachers as hard-working professionals who do incredibly important work and are grateful. In this country, we're made into a punching bag far too often. While there are plenty of issues with academia in this country, people like to exaggerate the prevalence of these issues to make absurd strawmen to try and delegitimize education as a whole. Coming to school board meetings and stating concerns respectfully is fine, talking with teachers, as well as making suggestions is as well. That is not what is going on in many cases. Many at these meetings are anything but respectful and are not showing much understanding for what happens in the classroom. The fact that there are so many who think "CRT is taught to elementary school students" just shows the level of ignorance about education prevalent.

Also, the argument that "parents should have more say" is often made in bad faith. Parents do have say, and teachers are always encourage to and make direct effort to engage with parents. None of us are saying that parents shouldn't be part of their child's education, we simply don't think they should be calling all of the shots and deciding exactly how we do our job.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2021, 12:46:27 PM »

I have changed parets against BLM and teachers against police, and suddenly you sound awfully similar to Tucker Carlson. Don't know, what to do out of it.

No, I'm referring to BLM-activists who treat Police with no respect whatsoever and think they understand better how policing is supposed to work. In many countries, Police is a respected profession, and both right and left view policemens as hard-working professionals who do incredibly important work and are grateful. In this country, we're made into a punching bag far too often. While there are plenty of issues with police in this country, people like to exaggerate the prevalence of these issues to make absurd strawmen to try and delegitimize policing as a whole. Coming to peaceful demonstration and stating concerns respectfully is fine, talking with policemen, as well as making suggestions is as well. That is not what is going on in many cases. Many at these demonstrations are anything but respectful and are not showing much understanding for what happens in the Police. The fact that there are so many who think "all police are racists" just shows the level of ignorance about Police prevalent.

Also, the argument that "Blacks Lives Matter" is often made in bad faith. Blacks lives do matter, and police are always encourage to and make direct effort to engage with Blacks. None of us are saying that Blacks lives doesn't matter, we simply don't think they should be calling all of the shots and deciding exactly how we do our job.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2021, 12:54:42 PM »

No, I'm referring to parents who treat teachers with no respect whatsoever and think they understand better how education is supposed to work. In many countries, teaching is a respected profession, and both parents and students view teachers as hard-working professionals who do incredibly important work and are grateful. In this country, we're made into a punching bag far too often. While there are plenty of issues with academia in this country, people like to exaggerate the prevalence of these issues to make absurd strawmen to try and delegitimize education as a whole. Coming to school board meetings and stating concerns respectfully is fine, talking with teachers, as well as making suggestions is as well. That is not what is going on in many cases. Many at these meetings are anything but respectful and are not showing much understanding for what happens in the classroom. The fact that there are so many who think "CRT is taught to elementary school students" just shows the level of ignorance about education prevalent.

Also, the argument that "parents should have more say" is often made in bad faith. Parents do have say, and teachers are always encourage to and make direct effort to engage with parents. None of us are saying that parents shouldn't be part of their child's education, we simply don't think they should be calling all of the shots and deciding exactly how we do our job.

Blame the Tik Tok teachers for putting up viral videos about it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »

I have changed parets against BLM and teachers against police, and suddenly you sound awfully similar to Tucker Carlson. Don't know, what to do out of it.

No, I'm referring to BLM-activists who treat Police with no respect whatsoever and think they understand better how policing is supposed to work. In many countries, Police is a respected profession, and both right and left view policemens as hard-working professionals who do incredibly important work and are grateful. In this country, we're made into a punching bag far too often. While there are plenty of issues with police in this country, people like to exaggerate the prevalence of these issues to make absurd strawmen to try and delegitimize policing as a whole. Coming to peaceful demonstration and stating concerns respectfully is fine, talking with policemen, as well as making suggestions is as well. That is not what is going on in many cases. Many at these demonstrations are anything but respectful and are not showing much understanding for what happens in the Police. The fact that there are so many who think "all police are racists" just shows the level of ignorance about Police prevalent.

Also, the argument that "Blacks Lives Matter" is often made in bad faith. Blacks lives do matter, and police are always encourage to and make direct effort to engage with Blacks. None of us are saying that Blacks lives doesn't matter, we simply don't think they should be calling all of the shots and deciding exactly how we do our job.

Yes, when you change the words of a post, the meaning changes completely, not sure how this is some sort of divine revelation. I guess this is supposed to be some kind of "gotcha"? When have I made particularly anti-police posts? This addresses my post exactly how?

Blame the Tik Tok teachers for putting up viral videos about it.

How is Tik Tok relevant to this?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 01:19:20 PM »

Yes, when you change the words of a post, the meaning changes completely, not sure how this is some sort of divine revelation. I guess this is supposed to be some kind of "gotcha"? When have I made particularly anti-police posts? This addresses my post exactly how?

I thought, it was obvious, but my point was that you attack a strawman, pretending that few rotten eggs describe the "movement".

Youngkin thinks, that the people who " treat teachers with no respect whatsoever and think they understand better how education is supposed to work" "should be calling all of the shots and deciding exactly how we do our job", huh? What a d**k!

straw man
1: a weak or imaginary opposition (such as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »

I thought, it was obvious, but my point was that you attack a strawman, pretending that few rotten eggs describe the "movement".

Youngkin thinks, that the people who " treat teachers with no respect whatsoever and think they understand better how education is supposed to work" "should be calling all of the shots and deciding exactly how we do our job", huh? What a d**k!

straw man
1: a weak or imaginary opposition (such as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

Nope, I'm describing actual parents that I've had to deal with. Fortunately not too many at my current school, but they absolutely exist. Yes, not all parents are like this at all, but those talking about "CRT" are mostly not arguing in good faith.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 04:58:02 PM »

https://wset.com/amp/news/nation-world/documents-reveal-mcauliffe-pushed-virginia-schools-to-teach-critical-race-theory

GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2021, 05:00:01 PM »

Eh, you're being VERY generous here. The issue at hand is not at all about "parents who have legitimate concerns with their kids public education" considering most of the issues talked about in this race (like CRT) are nonexistent and is all about the culture war. This all started because nutjob parents going to school board meetings wanted to ban masks, books, etc. These are not people in good faith.

If parents have that much of a "concern" about their kids education where they can't trust the teachers to teach, then put your kids in homeschool.
What about the Loudoun County school that covered up a transgender student committing rape
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies