US equivalents to european cities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:21:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US equivalents to european cities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: US equivalents to european cities  (Read 1700 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »

This is going to be one of those US to other cities worldwide forums and it is a interesting one as well.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »

Miami = Sochi
DC = Paris
Salt Lake City = Geneva
San Francisco = Florence
New York = Istanbul
Anchorage = Reykjavik
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 05:10:04 AM »

Duluth = Falun beyond the Sea
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:25:43 AM »

Miami = Sochi
DC = Paris
Salt Lake City = Geneva
San Francisco = Florence
New York = Istanbul
Anchorage = Reykjavik

Why SLC=Geneva? Are you referring to the founding, the "[city] is intended to be to [new form of Christianity] as Rome is to Catholicism" origin of the cities?

I guess I'll throw in that if we're speaking in geographic terms the best comparison is undoubtedly SLC=Grenoble. I've never encountered any other cities where mountains "smack you in the face" the way they do in those two. Cities on low, flat, geographically confined areas right next to very steep and high mountains, with the city "climbing up the mountains" as much as it is able (which isn't very much because they're so steep, but you don't see the same thing happening in, for example, Denver).

I'd also like to point to St. John's in Canada as a "Reykjavík of North America" based on geography, climate, and culture.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »

Miami = Sochi
DC = Paris
Salt Lake City = Geneva
San Francisco = Florence
New York = Istanbul
Anchorage = Reykjavik

Why SLC=Geneva? Are you referring to the founding, the "[city] is intended to be to [new form of Christianity] as Rome is to Catholicism" origin of the cities?

I guess I'll throw in that if we're speaking in geographic terms the best comparison is undoubtedly SLC=Grenoble. I've never encountered any other cities where mountains "smack you in the face" the way they do in those two. Cities on low, flat, geographically confined areas right next to very steep and high mountains, with the city "climbing up the mountains" as much as it is able (which isn't very much because they're so steep, but you don't see the same thing happening in, for example, Denver).

I'd also like to point to St. John's in Canada as a "Reykjavík of North America" based on geography, climate, and culture.

Which St. John's? Newfoundland, right? St. John's, NB has a sh**t load of a trees and a really pretty drive through park.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 08:03:50 AM »

Miami = Sochi
DC = Paris
Salt Lake City = Geneva
San Francisco = Florence
New York = Istanbul
Anchorage = Reykjavik

Which St. John's? Newfoundland, right? St. John's, NB has a sh**t load of a trees and a really pretty drive through park.

The one in New Brunswick is "St. John" rather than "St. John's".
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »

St. John's is actually probably the most like a European city of any place in anglo North America (unless you want to count Quebec City), but it's more like Cork or something than Paris.
dpmapper
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »

DC is more Brussels than Paris. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 12:05:08 PM »

Venice is New Orleans.
Berlin is Chicago.
San Diego is Cadiz.
Las Vegas is Monaco.
Kansas City is Budapest.
St Louis is Vienna.
Denver is Madrid.
Tampa is Sevastopol.
Omaha is Minsk.
Dallas is Moscow.
Birmingham is Sarajevo.

thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 12:17:14 PM »

You right sir! Paris is although a capitol city besides politics is more famous for it's iconic landmarks/fashion shows.
Brussels and D.C are both notable for being the most famous cities in a politics perspective.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »

Miami = Sochi
DC = Paris
Salt Lake City = Geneva
San Francisco = Florence
New York = Istanbul
Anchorage = Reykjavik
I'd have NYC being London or Paris
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 03:39:05 PM »

St. John's is actually probably the most like a European city of any place in anglo North America (unless you want to count Quebec City), but it's more like Cork or something than Paris.
This makes sense. Only quibble I'd raise is that Quebec City can't really count as being part of Anglo North America, but that's it.
M0096
Rookie
Poland

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 04:05:15 PM »

A few polish equivalents:
Boston = Gdańsk
Philadelphia = Kraków (Cracow)
Pittsburgh = Katowice
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 04:55:44 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 06:40:10 PM by Crumpets »

Miami = Sochi
DC = Paris
Salt Lake City = Geneva
San Francisco = Florence
New York = Istanbul
Anchorage = Reykjavik

Just to expound a bit on these:

Miami = Sochi: Old people sitting on the beach, loving their right-wing overlord, who has a mansion outside of town. Reasonably diverse though, with immigrant populations from across the Gulf/Caucasus. I think it's funny that Forumlurker also listed Tampa as Sevastopol - clearly the Black Sea coast is the Florida of Europe.

DC = Paris: A majestic capital that is zoned like crazy to keep all of the big new development out in the suburbs. And a lot of the nicer neighborhoods in DC are clearly Haussmann-inspired. Some of the most famous museums and galleries on their respective continents. Meanwhile, there are a lot of poorer communities outside of the urban core that are usually erased from peoples' image of the city in their head. Two of the most walkable cities in the world, IMHO.

Salt Lake City = Geneva: Lakeside cities nestled in beautiful scenery. Each the home of a Christian sect (although obviously Mormonism didn't start in SLC and Geneva isn't nearly as Calvinist as SLC is Mormon), as EastofEden described. And at least from my short time in both cities, both feel pretty strict.

San Francisco = Florence: Great food, a major world-renowned arts scene, and San Francisco is one of the few places in the US to have that Mediterranean city-scape that proliferates southern Europe.

New York = Istanbul: There are only three cities in Europe that would be the equivalent of New York - London, Moscow and Istanbul. London isn't anywhere near intense enough to be comparable to New York, even if it is diverse enough. Moscow is a bit too homogenous and just isn't enough of a "global" city (which is saying a lot, given how much it tries to be). Istanbul is a crossroads of civilization like New York, even as much as the many ethnic enclaves there have gotten either pushed out or assimilated in the last 100 years.

Anchorage = Reykjavik: I haven't been to Reykjavik to know how much this is a fair comparison, but they have the obvious comparison of being separated from the rest of their country/continent and far to the north. I also think the oil industry and conservatism in Alaska has some parallels with Iceland's fishing industry and the effort to keep it out of the EU, but that's probably a stretch.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »

Been to both, don’t understand the comparison lol
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 06:42:56 AM »

Cities built to house a much larger population than they current posses leaving them feeling empty and lacking the crowds you associate with cities.
SInNYC

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »

Why do you say that? Duluth is probably my favorite small city in the country so I had to google streetview Falun, but I dont really see the comparison. Is it the mining history?
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 12:32:30 PM »

My more clear version and explanations
New York/Washington D.C-London NYC and london are the 2 most recognizable, multicultural, diverse, and most famous cities in the world, famous landmarks, skyscrapers, and similar population numbers makes it the most iconic cities around the world, and also D.C for 10 downing street in London it is the White House, and for The big ben and houses of parliament it is statue of liberty, empire state building, and U.S Capitol combined making it icons for both countries. But London existed for 2 millenia while New York has been a city since the Dutch then British colonized it in the 1600s to 1700s. Both have headquarters to the most recognizable reliable news newspapers in the world The New York Times, Washington Post, And the Guardian, the two famous tabloid newspapers The New York Post and The Daily Mail, and the two famous financial newspapers The Wall street journal and the Financial Times.
Washington D.C (mostly)- Brussels- Two of the most recognizable cities in a politics perspective all the lawmakers meet there and has a diverse population though not at the scale of London and NYC, NATO and the EU meet there in Brussels.
Barcelona-Los Angeles both are cities by bodies of water and have a similar climate and are Spanish influenced fitting since L.A was established by the Spanish Empire. Home to tourist atmospheres, and the 2 most famous sports teams FC Barcelona and the Los Angeles Lakers with the most famous names in all of sports playing there Lionel Messi and Lebron James
Boston-Dublin I know everyone says Boston is similar to Liverpool but the bigger picture is in Dublin. Both cities have a large Irish culture, mostly Catholic population (though not as Catholic as it was during most of the 20th century and early 21st century) and for Dublin's case not as strongly Catholic as in the rest of the country. Both cities have large Rock bands that became world famous. Aerosmith, The Cars, Boston the band, and U2 and the Cranberries are just some of the more iconic music names to hail from those 2 cities. Both cities have the largest St Patty's day celebrations in the world. And also home to it's uber liberal politics as well.
Venice-New Orleans 2 cities by bodies of water and with lively atmospheres, flooded streets, and a Catholic inspired atmosphere. Both are hard hit by natural disasters for venice case by flooding from Mediterranean storms especially in 1966 and 2019 and the latter's case was Hard hit by Katrina in 2005 and again in 2021 by Ida but not as deadly as Katrina. Both also see population losses but NOLA is growing back from the dead, and for it's case suffers from high crime and murder rates.
Berlin-Chicago This should be obvious. Both are big cities that have million residents but has not hit it's past peak populations yet. Home of tall buildings Sears tower/TV tower that recognize many people not familiar with the 2 countries, also both cities are diverse and multicultural but not as much unlike London/NYC's case. Also both of those cities played a huge role in the protests of 1968 Berlin's case was not as high profiled unlike Chicago but still had a recognizable youth movement. Both cities are seen as the places where 2 of the most famous names in Politics were getting their careers started Merkel and Obama. Both cities are German influenced with the Christmas Market in Chicago resembling the one in Berlin in recognition, alongside the suburb of Schaumburg being German pronounced as well. Both cities are located in the central regions of their respective places making it a key city to other cities in the continent/country respectively.    
Lisbon-San Francisco Those 2 cities may not be linked to each other historically but they have a similar climate (Warm but not hot summers) do not have July as their hottest months, have progressive politics, rainy winters, etc.
Stockholm-Minneapolis Both of these cities have socially liberal to progressive politics hence the locations, Minneapolis also had Swedish/Scandinavian influenced culture hence why their football team is called the Vikings. They are more open minded to immigration, support liberal policies but also suffer from huge racial disparities hence the right wing outrage over those cities not being "tough on crime." Also these cities suffer from the coldest winters in the aforementioned places but Stockholm is not as cold as minneapolis during December-march
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »

Seattle, Washington = Edinburgh, Scotland. Both cities are located in the north of their parent countries, both have fairly rainy and temperate climates, both are located near major mountain ranges, both are coastal cities.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »

Cities built to house a much larger population than they current posses leaving them feeling empty and lacking the crowds you associate with cities.

Hm, Vienna didn't feel empty to me at all
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 12:55:18 PM »

Hm, Vienna didn't feel empty to me at all

No and St Louis lost more than half its population during the last 50 tears while Vienna had had rapid gtwoth during the last 20 years
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »

My city is twinned with Rotterdam, which is a decent surface-level comparison but lacking something. Until someone with intimate knowledge of the region proves me spectacularly wrong I'll cling to my conjecture that Baltimore is the Belfast of America.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »

My city is twinned with Rotterdam, which is a decent surface-level comparison but lacking something. Until someone with intimate knowledge of the region proves me spectacularly wrong I'll cling to my conjecture that Baltimore is the Belfast of America.

TIL Baltimore enjoys regular shootings and terrorism between Catholics and Protestants, to the point where literal walls had to be built to keep them from shooting each other Tongue
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »

TIL Baltimore enjoys regular shootings and terrorism between Catholics and Protestants, to the point where literal walls had to be built to keep them from shooting each other Tongue

I mean, one out of two ain't bad..
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2021, 02:04:09 PM »

I'd think Philadelphia and Manchester/Birmingham would be good matches. Definitely post-industrial cities that aren't the largest in their countries but still pretty big.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies