US equivalents to european cities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:25:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US equivalents to european cities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: US equivalents to european cities  (Read 1691 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2021, 02:16:52 PM »

My city is twinned with Rotterdam, which is a decent surface-level comparison but lacking something. Until someone with intimate knowledge of the region proves me spectacularly wrong I'll cling to my conjecture that Baltimore is the Belfast of America.

My city is (sort of, not really) twinned with Vallejo, California, which makes quite some sense (important navy base, blander than the surroundings, relatively similar climates, they are also of similar sizes though this was not the case historically), but I'm sure better candidates for the La Spezia of America exist. I have no specific answer however.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »

My city is twinned with Rotterdam, which is a decent surface-level comparison but lacking something. Until someone with intimate knowledge of the region proves me spectacularly wrong I'll cling to my conjecture that Baltimore is the Belfast of America.

Belfast is a … very unique place that, in my opinion, it doesn’t make much sense to compare to anywhere else really, and certainly not anywhere in the United States.
palandio

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2021, 03:48:38 PM »

Cities built to house a much larger population than they current posses leaving them feeling empty and lacking the crowds you associate with cities.

If we count only the areas that were built up until 100 (or maybe 80) years ago, then most Central European cities were built to house much larger populations than they currently possess. Living standard and family structure have changed since then and 1914 Vienna or Berlin would now be seen as massively overpopulated. After WW2 growth in Central European cities occurred mostly in the outer districts. It is of course true that some cities, e.g. Munich grew more than others, e.g. Vienna, which had lost much of its former importance and where the population was actually shrinking, but this just meant that less new housing had to be built in the outer districts of Vienna than elsewhere. There are of course cities in Eastern Germany where population shrank to a degree that the cities became "empty". Leipzig was able to accomodate over 20% population growth mostly by renovating empty housing, and many other cities still feel empty. But Vienna I don't think so.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2021, 09:42:44 PM »

These seem fair to me somehow
Palma - Honolulu
Barcelona - San Diego
Madrid - L.A.
Zurich - Seattle
Bergen - Anchorage
Brussels - D.C.
Charleroi - Scranton
Moscow - Chicago
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »

Why do you say that? Duluth is probably my favorite small city in the country so I had to google streetview Falun, but I dont really see the comparison. Is it the mining history?

Falun is important city in Swedish Bergslagen (Historical Mining country). Duluth is important city in Minnesotan mining country. Both have very rural leftwing areas around them,
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies