Would you abort your child...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 12:16:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you abort your child...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ... if you knew they would be born with harlequin icthyosis?
Yes (pro-choice)

Yes (pro-life)

No (pro-choice)

No (pro-life)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Would you abort your child...  (Read 1280 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »

^
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »

I would want any child I sired aborted no matter what, so yes
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »

I’m not sure. Probably because proceeding would be like sending the child up in an untested rocket. Basically the same logic conservatives use to justify aborting fetuses conceived through IVF or cloning.
LBJer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »

I didn't vote because given the emotional component involved, I can't be sure how I'd feel in that situation.  Nevertheless, I think that if I were a woman in that situation (I say that because I'm a guy, and for obvious reasons, women need to have the final say on this issue) I would opt to abort. 
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:38:25 AM »

The results thus far paint a vivid portrait of the cruelty inherent in the pro-life position. Even if you think abortion is the killing of a human being, there are fates worse than death.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »

The results thus far paint a vivid portrait of the cruelty inherent in the pro-life position. Even if you think abortion is the killing of a human being, there are fates worse than death.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1cdse1/iama_person_with_a_severe_form_of_ichthyosis/

https://www.firstskinfoundation.org/stephanie-t-wynne-ar-2013

These people don't sound like they are begging for death or angry at their parents for not aborting them.

(Of course, I'm not a fan of having this gene continue to be passed on through the generations, and am in favor of genetic therapy to correct it, but that's a different subject)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1cdse1/iama_person_with_a_severe_form_of_ichthyosis/

These people don't sound like they are begging for death or angry at their parents for not aborting them.

(Of course, I'm not a fan of having this gene continue to be passed on through the generations, and am in favor of genetic therapy to correct it, but that's a different subject)

They are already working on something like this for MD, SSA, and Progeria of all things. Having too many genes or not enough of them is a reasonable thing to treat. It's not something that is necessarily "playing God" or "gaming the system".
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »

I voted no (pro-choice)

Hearing that your child was going to be born with a disability would be tough news to take, but obviously a decision whether or not to abort would depend on multiple personal factors like whether or not you wanted a baby to begin with, the likelihood of you having another child later, and (most importantly) your ability to provide the adequate level of care required by the condition.  Having a disability like harlequin ichthyosis in itself is not reason enough to justify an abortion. 

I feel you chose harlequin ichthyosis as the condition to highlight here only because of how aesthetically deformed the newborns look.  However, as has already been mentioned, children born in the U.S. with this condition are very likely to survive into adulthood.  While their lives/features maybe don't look entirely "normal" to you or me, it isn't some totally dehabilitating or unsurvivable disease.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »

Pro-lifers always claim there are ways around whatever issue is leading to the consideration of an abortion. But they're never actually involved in that process.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »

Pro-lifers always claim there are ways around whatever issue is leading to the consideration of an abortion. But they're never actually involved in that process.

Can you elaborate on this remark?
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »

if i learned they'd end up an unironic democrat or emo fan yeah
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »

Never, I know females personally, Boomers where Contraceptives we're rare that did that procedure and regretted it, if you give it up for adoption to a family member like some women are doing now, you can get it back.

We have male condemns so females never get pregnant in first place back in old days they didn't have everything, abortion is one procedure in Planned Parenthood
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 03:49:05 PM »

I don't see the March for "Life" organizers chipping in to pay the five digit hospital bills women get charged for giving birth.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 04:03:23 PM »

Yes (pro-choice).
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 04:31:21 PM »

Assuming I were to have a child, it wouldn't really be up to me but those who survive past infancy, as others stated, tend to lead normal lives.

Now a far rarer and even less pleasant disease, like FOP, is absolutely a condition I would consider worse than death. But it cannot be diagnosed until symptoms appear around age 10. Still, as the symptoms progress, life becomes much less bearable for the patient as they are literally growing a second skeleton. Patients cannot risk injury, at all, or undergo corrective surgery, because the "healing" only converts the damaged tissue and bone into even more bone. When patients flare up, they must choose either a lying or sitting position to spend the rest of their lives in - which are ultimately cut short as they eventually die of respiratory complications.

Harlequin ichthyosis is obviously much more treatable and less painful to the sufferer, but I can't in good conscience say that this is the kind of life, and death, I would want my child to endure (supposing, just for the sake of the argument, that this is a condition capable of being diagnosed in utero). It's one of the reasons I never want kids and am glad I will never have to take part in a decision like this. And I also would never cast judgment on parents who decided that abortion was preferable to becoming a human statue.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »

I don't see the March for "Life" organizers chipping in to pay the five digit hospital bills women get charged for giving birth.

That's what I thought you meant and is definitely a good point about Big Pro-Life, yes. The most charitable interpretation of what's going on there is that Republican coalitional politics have overwritten noble sentiments about mothers and children with the whole pleroma of inhumane we-want-what's-worst-for-everybody fusionist orthodoxies on other issues.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 09:45:06 PM »

have you actually looked?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 12:19:32 AM »

I feel you chose harlequin ichthyosis as the condition to highlight here only because of how aesthetically deformed the newborns look. 

YES
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »

Dule's posts on this specific topic (abortion in cases of fetal disability) often seem to rely on curiously objective statements about the worthwhileness of life with the relevant conditions, at least compared to the degree of objectiveness one normally associates with libertarian and/or secularist abortion arguments. Of course, as an admitted believer in objectively right and wrong courses of action in these cases myself, I'm one to talk.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 01:40:13 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2021, 02:18:27 AM by TheReckoning »

Just another way in which you are one of a kind on Atlas.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »

Accidentally voted yes (got mixed up about the poll's wording after reading the replies) but I meant no.

I'm generally pro-life as far as personal decisions go (this is assuming it was my own womb of course - if it was my wife/girlfriend's it would obviously be her choice to make), and cases like these are the worst reason to deviate from that. It's not my place to decide whether another human being's life is worth living or not. No one should have the arrogance to make that decision for another. This is about the most un-libertarian assertion I can imagine.

Once my child was old enough to make this decision for themselves, if they decide that they can't bear such a life, I would support their decision to end it by whatever means they see fit (although that would of course be immensely painful).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies