Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:51:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 89
Author Topic: Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)  (Read 149656 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 30, 2022, 08:33:02 PM »

You say this as if democracy is a rule. What would it mean to "suspend democracy"?

Send democracy home for a few days to think about what it did. 

Good one, PQG, that had me laughing out loud.
Pivaru
Rookie
Brazil

P P

« Reply #1801 on: October 30, 2022, 08:34:10 PM »

What's with the big bunch of municipalities closer to the Uruguay border voting for Lula?
I'm not super well versed on Rio Grande do Sul politics, so I'm sure other people could give you a more complete answer, but afaik, part of it is the influence of Leonel Brizola. Before becoming an important political figure in Rio de Janeiro and getting elected governor of that state, Brizola actually served as the mayor of Porto Alegre and governor of Rio Grande do Sul in the 60's, prior to the military coup. As a member of the historical PTB, he defended laborist ideas and was an exponent of getulism.

While Brizola's influence in Rio has waned in recent years, as I understand it, his laborist views are still very much alive and influential in Rio Grande do Sul and are particularly popular in the southern pampas, on the Uruguay border. Why is it particularly strong there? Not quite sure, I suspect those municipalities may be poorer than the rest of the state, but don't quote me on this, I haven't looked at any data regarding this.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1802 on: October 30, 2022, 08:34:40 PM »

So the only right wing governments left on the continental western hemisphere are Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, El Salvador, and Guatemala.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1803 on: October 30, 2022, 08:36:51 PM »

What's with the big bunch of municipalities closer to the Uruguay border voting for Lula?
I'm not super well versed on Rio Grande do Sul politics, so I'm sure other people could give you a more complete answer, but afaik, part of it is the influence of Leonel Brizola. Before becoming an important political figure in Rio de Janeiro and getting elected governor of that state, Brizola actually served as the mayor of Porto Alegre and governor of Rio Grande do Sul in the 60's, prior to the military coup. As a member of the historical PTB, he defended laborist ideas and was an exponent of getulism.

While Brizola's influence in Rio has waned in recent years, as I understand it, his laborist views are still very much alive and influential in Rio Grande do Sul and are particularly popular in the southern pampas, on the Uruguay border. Why is it particularly strong there? Not quite sure, I suspect those municipalities may be poorer than the rest of the state, but don't quote me on this, I haven't looked at any data regarding this.
This would make some sense. Iirc, Rio Grande do Sul was the only state to vote for Lula in 1989, when this influence would likely have been significantly stronger.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1804 on: October 30, 2022, 08:37:40 PM »

24 hours or less until the military steps in?
More like 24 centuries. Thank you Lloyd Austin!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1805 on: October 30, 2022, 08:38:22 PM »

So the only right wing governments left on the continental western hemisphere are Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, El Salvador, and Guatemala.

Maybe at the national levels, but looking at just them only obviously doesn't negate any of the sub-national governments over which the right-wing definitely dominates in certain locations on the American continent. (Source: am a Floridian.)
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1806 on: October 30, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »

Talked to a friend who is a Bolsonaro->Lula voter, he’s quite happy hearing the result

Interesting. What's his political evolution been like?
He voted for Bolsonaro because of PT’s corruption but regretted it within a year. I don’t think he’s particularly enthusiastic about Lula, just hates Bolsonaro. He’s also a furry like me which is how I know him, so like most of us I assume he’s generally left-libertarian leaning.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1807 on: October 30, 2022, 08:40:14 PM »

This is not a thread debating whether suspending elections is good or bad.

I agree; that shouldn't be a permissible subject of debate on this forum.

I disagree. Democracy has to be fought for.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1808 on: October 30, 2022, 08:41:03 PM »

The Monroe Doctrine has its perks.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1809 on: October 30, 2022, 08:45:18 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2022, 08:53:27 PM by Person Man »

Some historic facts:

- It was the closest election in Brazilian history, 50.9-49.1%;

- Lula is the first President to be democratically elected to a nonconsecutive 3rd term (Getúlio Vargas doesn't count as he was a dictator in his first term);

- Bolsonaro is the first President to lose a reelection bid;

- Lula is on course to win a record 60 million votes;

Kind of like 2020 in the US. It was a victory that was simultaneously Pyrhhric and Historical and may yet be proven to only slightly delay the inevitable. I guess that’s how you know bad the “bad guys” have become and how incompetent the “good guys” are simultaneously.

When has either country had a cycle like this?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1810 on: October 30, 2022, 08:50:10 PM »

While those of us who value democracy, civility and the building of an inclusive society are celebrating tonight... Let's not pat ourselves on the back too much. Bolsonaro still came closer to winning reelection, even after his disastrous first term, than any of the polls said he would.

One percent, that's all that stood between Brazil and the illiberal, intolerant, authoritarian-leaning strain of Conservatism that Bolsonaro, and his Trumpian allies, represent. Just like Trump and Biden in 2020... It's great that good won out over evil in the end, but it should have never been this close... And the fact that it was points to something very deeply unhealthy in our societies.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1811 on: October 30, 2022, 09:04:29 PM »

I tol u so bruda, I tol u so so many time I go cra cra
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1812 on: October 30, 2022, 09:11:17 PM »

I'm as disturbed by the close margin (1.8%) as anyone, but let's not pretend this was a totally free and fair election. All the forces of the reactionary elements of the state were deployed against Lula and his broad pro-democracy movement. The decked was stacked against Lula. There's no doubt in my mind that in a totally, or near-totally free election the margin would be larger.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1813 on: October 30, 2022, 09:14:42 PM »

Had a call with a Brazilian friend of mine earlier tonight, and he's absolutely ecstatic about Lula being re-elected again. And honestly, I can't blame him one bit!
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #1814 on: October 30, 2022, 09:16:23 PM »

I was not posting here because I was at the celebration at Praça São Salvador, in Rio de Janeiro. This square is located in the left-wing neighborrhood Laranjeiras, which belongs to the 16th Electoral Zone in Rio de Janeiro. In this zone, Lula had 65%.
Not only the square, but also the streets around it were overcrowded. People were drinking Heineken bottles and Brahma cans.

I think the Americans here in this Forum knew 2 years ago what we are feeling now
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #1815 on: October 30, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »

In the midst of all the backpatting I'd just like to point out that if not for Atlas Villain Glenn Greenwald Bolsonaro would have almost certainly won reelection.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1816 on: October 30, 2022, 09:17:36 PM »

It's a beautiful feeling buritobr, and for you folks, the stakes are even higher!
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1817 on: October 30, 2022, 09:25:41 PM »

Has Bolsonaro made any statement whatsoever on the results yet? I’m seeing nothing on my feed.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1818 on: October 30, 2022, 09:26:34 PM »

Has Bolsonaro made any statement whatsoever on the results yet? I’m seeing nothing on my feed.

Nope. He has gone to bed.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #1819 on: October 30, 2022, 09:27:27 PM »

I'm as disturbed by the close margin (1.8%) as anyone, but let's not pretend this was a totally free and fair election. All the forces of the reactionary elements of the state were deployed against Lula and his broad pro-democracy movement. The decked was stacked against Lula. There's no doubt in my mind that in a totally, or near-totally free election the margin would be larger.

People don’t understand it from the outside but the way the State machine and economic populism and “illusionism” during election time was never as shameless as we saw.

Bolsonaro got to close the gap during last months necessarily because of the artificial “improvements” on the economy alongside many other stuff.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1820 on: October 30, 2022, 09:30:06 PM »

People don’t understand it from the outside but the way the State machine and economic populism and “illusionism” during election time was never as shameless as we saw.

Bolsonaro got to close the gap during last months necessarily because of the artificial “improvements” on the economy alongside many other stuff.

I can imagine the budget hole that Lula and his team will discover. It will not be pretty.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1821 on: October 30, 2022, 09:30:38 PM »

I was not posting here because I was at the celebration at Praça São Salvador, in Rio de Janeiro. This square is located in the left-wing neighborrhood Laranjeiras, which belongs to the 16th Electoral Zone in Rio de Janeiro. In this zone, Lula had 65%.
Not only the square, but also the streets around it were overcrowded. People were drinking Heineken bottles and Brahma cans.

I think the Americans here in this Forum knew 2 years ago what we are feeling now

Congratulations man!! Y'all have earned it. Purple heart
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1822 on: October 30, 2022, 09:32:59 PM »

No.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1823 on: October 30, 2022, 09:35:37 PM »

Happy to that Brasil voted for the alternative against which otherwise most likely have become an extreme far-right stronghold within South America.

Lulu and PT might have their issues, but still the extreme corruption from the far-right, destruction of Native Lands and massive deforestation of the Amazon Basin, toss in a ton of junk where corruption appears to be even more common under a Balsonario GVT, really looks like Brazilians voted with their minds, regardless of the alleged Catholic-Evangelical splits in the polls.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1824 on: October 30, 2022, 09:48:12 PM »

We did--and as bad as things are in the United States right now, I think most of us are still very, very happy and relieved that things two years ago went as they did. Congratulations to you and to your country.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies