What president is Joe Biden most like so far
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:13:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What president is Joe Biden most like so far
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Excluding himself OFC
George Washington

John Adams

Thomas Jefferson

James Madison

James Monroe

John Quincy Adams

Andrew Jackson

Martin Van Burren

William Henry Harrison

John Tyler

James Polk

Zachary Taylor

Millard Fillmore

Franklin Pierce

James Buchanan

Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Johnson

Ulysses S. Grant

Rutherford B. Hayes

James Garfield

Chester A. Arthur

Grover Cleveland

Benjamin Harrison

William McKinley

Theodore Roosevelt

William Howard Taft

Woodrow Wilson

Warren G. Harding

Calvin Coolidge

Herbert Hoover

FDR

Harry S Truman

Dwight Eisenhower

JFK

LBJ

Richard Nixon

Gerald Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

George H.W Bush

Bill Clinton

George W. Bush

Barack Obama

Donald Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: What president is Joe Biden most like so far  (Read 1987 times)
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 02:43:07 AM »

When did this forum turn on Biden?

The reconciliation bill is stuck in the Senate. That means that Biden can't even get a budget passed, in his very first year in office, despite having a trifecta. And if it does get passed, it may be watered down by as much as half or so.

The USA does not and will not have functional government unless and until the U.S. Senate is changed to become the functional equivalent of the British House of Lords. But Biden can't even bring himself to speak out against the filibuster, and thus has shown that he is not the man for the job. He is too old and too personally tied to the Senate's mythical past. In theory he could still change course, but it will probably take some non-Senator President who is not personally tied to the Senate to change things and abolish/fundamentally change the Senate. Decisive action is needed, or else the USA will never have coherent policy on any issue ever again.

U.S. Senate delenda est
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »

Gerald R. Ford.

Same lack of vision and ties to a mythic past instead of the now, same remarkable lack of characteristics to draw for political cartoons or impersonate, and once 2022 goes through, same historical midterm wipeout.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 10:31:53 AM »

I feel I can’t make a judgment until the fates of the infrastructure and reconciliation bills are known. Until then, a slightly better version of Obama’s first 8 months, if we are going by trajectory of presidency so far.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »

Obama. His electoral win was much more like one of Obama's. The ideology is much the same and so is the policy. He's not as effective as a communicator, though.  The Biden Presidency looks much like a third term of Barack Obama.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 05:00:39 PM »

The similarities to Obama are uncanny.

He started his presidency having to deal with two major crises handed to him by the previous president.

He does a very good job responsibly handling the major crisis (financial crisis or COVID) but people s--t all over him for not doing an even better job, undoing all the damage of the crisis and making everything perfect and back to normal.  Despite the fact that this crisis had a tremendous negative impact on the economy, he quickly comes under fire for not making the economy spectacular, with economic critics conveniently ignoring the context of the crisis.

He successfully ends the incredibly unpopular war, but everyone Monday-morning-quarterbacks the way he ended it and the public becomes convinced it could have somehow been ended while also simultaneously achieving all our war objectives.

He aggressively undoes all the horrible things done by the previous administration, ending a lot of very unpopular and disastrous policies, but doesn't get any credit for it because as soon as things change, people forget how bad things were before.

Meanwhile he pursues an aggressive policy agenda, but gets handicapped by uncooperative members of his own caucus and an absolutely shameless united Republican opposition.  At the same time, the base of the party turns on him and attacks him relentlessly for not doing even more, inventing House-of-Cards-style plots for how he could have magically achieved all their policy goals by autocratic fiat.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2021, 05:42:44 PM »

A lot of these things could be simultaneously true.

Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »

He's unique, and that's not a compliment.  He's more like Marshal Petain of Vichy France than he is like any other American President.

I didn't think he'd be THIS bad.  I thought he'd be less that I hoped for, but good enough to where I could tolerate him.  He's done more harm to America in 9 months than most Presidents do in an entire term.  The one thing that I agreed on him with (leaving Afghanistan) was something he managed to screw up to where are enemies now have $80 billion in military hardware.  To say nothing of the border.

He'll be at the level of James Buchanan if he's lucky.  He'll be at the level of James Buchanan if WE'RE lucky.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »

He's unique, and that's not a compliment.  He's more like Marshal Petain of Vichy France than he is like any other American President.

I didn't think he'd be THIS bad.  I thought he'd be less that I hoped for, but good enough to where I could tolerate him.  He's done more harm to America in 9 months than most Presidents do in an entire term.  The one thing that I agreed on him with (leaving Afghanistan) was something he managed to screw up to where are enemies now have $80 billion in military hardware.  To say nothing of the border.

He'll be at the level of James Buchanan if he's lucky.  He'll be at the level of James Buchanan if WE'RE lucky.

Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »

Will I shut up?  No.  When people like you put it to me that way i just become more verbose.

I've never told anyone to shut up because I disagreed with there opinions and was adamant about it.  Why do you?  This is, after all a "discussion" forum.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2021, 06:40:15 PM »

He’s the Donald Trump of the Democrats lol So I voted for Trump.

Exact same stuff on steroids in practice, but way more discreet and calm in front of the cameras so that no one pays attention or cares lmao

He’s the absolute dream from people who dream of a Trump - Biden type of ruling dynamic between parties instead of a Bush - Clinton one.

Social conservatism / populism is the status quo in US, with Biden deporting 14000 Haitians to Haiti in a moment of catastrophic crisis in that country (they have no structure to be receive these people today). The only two things the parties differ on are: domestic economics + speech rhetoric and its rules
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2021, 06:42:49 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 06:51:24 PM by UBI man good »

He's unique, and that's not a compliment.  He's more like Marshal Petain of Vichy France than he is like any other American President.

I didn't think he'd be THIS bad.  I thought he'd be less that I hoped for, but good enough to where I could tolerate him.  He's done more harm to America in 9 months than most Presidents do in an entire term.  The one thing that I agreed on him with (leaving Afghanistan) was something he managed to screw up to where are enemies now have $80 billion in military hardware.  To say nothing of the border.

He'll be at the level of James Buchanan if he's lucky.  He'll be at the level of James Buchanan if WE'RE lucky.

Will I shut up?  No.  When people like you put it to me that way i just become more verbose.

I've never told anyone to shut up because I disagreed with there opinions and was adamant about it.  Why do you?  This is, after all a "discussion" forum.

I’m up for a good discussion with someone I don’t agree with however what you are saying is objectively False. In his first 9 months, Biden has created over 6 million jobs, brought unemployment down from 6.4-5.2 which is not insignificant for this period of time, passed the American rescue plan, which provided 85% of Americans with 1400 stimulus checks, reversed the Trump travel ban, strengthened “buy America”, is pushing for one of the largest reconciliation bills in history, ran one of the most successful vaccination campaigns bringing not just America but most of North America to a place where it can reopen, and got the senate to pass a 1.2 trillion dollar infrastructure plan. Hardly “destroying” the country.

Buchanan did not have any major accomplishments, oversaw the panic of 1857, as well as a failed annexation of Kansas which caused further divide, and actually had four years to unite the country, which wasn’t off the deep end yet( Afghanistan was already far gone when Biden came in and he had to adhere to a deadline) Buchanan did nothing and actually allowed South Carolina to succeed from the union. So no the two are not comparable

So no Joe Biden is not James Buchanan and it is unfair to compare him to him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2021, 07:01:52 PM »

The comparison to James Buchanan is that he is clearly past prime even if he has a great corpus of political experience behind him, and that he follows a catastrophic failure as President. Other than that he seems to be on the side of a progressive trend. He is not conceding to the more refractory part of the political scene. Buchanan appeased the slave-holding interests to buy some peace... and he got the Civil War. That happens when one concedes everything until the other side gets whatever it wants until further concessions are impossible without selling out everything. 
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2021, 12:51:52 PM »

Carter so far but he can still look like LBJ if the senate passed his agenda and some other country infuriates him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »

When did this forum turn on Biden?

Afghanistan + poorer prospects for the reconciliation bill in recent weeks.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2021, 01:15:37 PM »

Inept, like Jimma but surrounded with Obama cronies.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2021, 02:08:52 PM »

Whichever allows me to draw a historical parallel to 2022/2024/2026/2028 that I like.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »

Carter but so much worse.

Incompetent, senile, geriatric, lying, corrupt clown.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2021, 07:34:16 PM »

An old president from a long time ago, like Millard Fillmore or Woodrow Wilson.  Not very charismatic, but genuine and kinda folksy, in the way an old coot is.

He'll be portrayed as Jimmy Carter 2.0 but the Republicans should be careful because the real Jimmy Carter is still very much alive and he's been much more popular in post-presidency than he was back then.  Of course Jimmy was fairly young in the White House, whereas Joe is really old.

I think the thing with Joe is that he looks frail, like he's going to keel over any second.  It's not a reassuring look for a Commander in Chief or a head of state.  He just comes across as elderly... and even our older presidents like Ronald Reagan came across as much more relatable for younger voters.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2021, 07:35:59 PM »

Too early to say but Harry Truman is a good bet. He could be more appreciated down the line based on what he gets the ball rolling on.

…. You mean after AlQaeda attacks us in the nearish future, because of his failed Afghanistan withdrawal…. Okay.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 07:37:54 PM »

Too early to say but Harry Truman is a good bet. He could be more appreciated down the line based on what he gets the ball rolling on.
Allen Barkley’s old signature may come true soon!
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2021, 07:42:33 PM »

…. You mean after AlQaeda attacks us in the nearish future, because of his failed Afghanistan withdrawal…. Okay.
how would you know that, are you from the future?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »

I have foresight.

If you don’t think AQ will attack us within 2 years, you’re deluded. It’s inevitable - please describe to me how it’s is not. Thanks.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2021, 07:53:23 PM »

LBJ: He became president at a moment of great national reckoning after previously serving as VP under a popular young Democratic president. His main policy goals are ending poverty and rebuilding what exists of the American welfare system. He might make some people in the Democratic base nervous due to his upbringing in another generation and a clearly changing tide on racial issues, but he has actually navigated these issues well so far. However, his current reputation has been marred by mismanagement of a foreign policy crisis in Asia. There are questions as to whether he will run for re-election at the end of his term.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 07:55:20 PM »

I have foresight.

If you don’t think AQ will attack us within 2 years, you’re deluded. It’s inevitable - please describe to me how it’s is not. Thanks.
foresight isnt evidence and remember that historically most AQ fighters come from the Arab middle east not Afghanistan.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2021, 10:24:22 PM »

Jimmy Carter, unfortunately.

And I say that as someone who LOVES Jimmy Carter and thinks he was a massively underrated president who got dealt maybe the worst hand of any president in history, and played it about as well as anyone could have. It's just that I can easily see Biden's presidency as being on a trajectory to ultimately being perceived by the public as similar to Carter's, which is not so good politically. And frankly, I don't think Biden is even close to as smart as Carter was...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies