"Justice for J6" rally planned for Saturday at the Capitol.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:15:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Justice for J6" rally planned for Saturday at the Capitol.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: "Justice for J6" rally planned for Saturday at the Capitol.  (Read 1667 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 08:21:09 AM »

U.S. officials warn of potential violence at the Sept. 18 rally, but see no ‘specific or credible plot.

Mr. Trump put out a statement from his office on Thursday, with no mention of the rally, but saying, "Our hearts and minds are with the people being persecuted so unfairly relating to the January 6th protest concerning the Rigged Presidential Election." He added: "JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL!"

The latest report, titled "Prospects for Violence at 'Justice for J6' Rally in Washington, D.C.," warns of possible violence both by participants in the rally and by counterprotesters.

Reminder:
Prosecutors: Capitol rioters committed over 1,000 assaults on police
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »

Surely capitol authorities will be prepared this time. "Fool me once..." and all that.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »

Surely capitol authorities will be prepared this time. "Fool me once..." and all that.

As Fuzzy demonstrated earlier in the thread (if you don't have him on ignore), the purpose of this rally is not another attempted coup. It's part of the GOP's ongoing efforts to re-write history and normalize their last coup attempt, while setting the stage for the next one. Its a propaganda exercise.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »

Many of my friends will be attending the peaceful rally, I hope they are very lucky!

Your friends are scumf##k traitors. Just saying.

Just like BLM and Antifa.

And just like BLM and Antifa, they have the right to peaceably assemble, to seek redress of their grievances.  If arrested, they have the right to reasonable bail.

Anyone who says that the January 6 rioters have been offered bail in line with the 8th Amendment is willfully blind to Constitutional violations by the Federal Courts and the Biden DOJ.  A good number of those charged are MISDEMEANANTS, not even felonies.  I don't think it's too unreasonable to suggest that these defendants receive the same adherence to the Constitution as more favored Woke criminals.

Did you check under your bed last night for BLM and Antifa Fuzzy?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »

Apparently it's been a dud so far. I'm not surprised - I think Trump's presence was the main reason January 6 was as big as it was.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »

Just like BLM and Antifa.
And just like BLM and Antifa ...

Oh, here we go again.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »

As expected, it’s been quieter than usual. Jan 6th was the big event.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »

We are getting justice for 1/6, one courtroom at a time.

You see somewhere along the lines, the memo telling me that I should not care about mob rule when it is "our mob" got lost in the mail. Which is probably good because I would have burned it anyway.

It would be terribly wrong if my side did that too, of course.  

To me, the idea that a mob of any kind, much less one that trespasses on the Capitol, is something to be celebrated is a horrifying prospect and coming just months after decrying mob excess on the other sides paints a picture of hypocrisy beyond all measure. I have said repeatedly that this incident represents a dangerous slide towards Caesarism that could be picked up by the left or right in the future. That is if Congress doesn't go along with you, just send a mob of people or at that maybe even the Army "to force them to vote the right way". That is something that Julius Caesar or Napoleon Bonaparte would do, but the minute that happens, it is the end of America as we have known it for 200 plus years. No one's political crusade or whatever you want to call it, is worth surrendering that for.

Obviously those who simply milled around can expect lighter sentences than those who did violence, did damage or stole stuff (especially the Speaker's laptop, which constitutes a huge breach of national security and will likely get the Max). Organizers outside may get worse. Just watch how the Michigan plot goes, as some major trials are scheduled in October.   Some of the offenses for which federal indictments have been made in the Michigan plot could, should they result in criminal convictions, could be suitable for long stays in a federal prison -- even ADX Florence.  

I was ahead of the curve in terms of bending conservatism in a more populist direction and addressing the various problems that the establishment had been deficient at (Immigration, Trade, Foreign Policy, Neoliberalism etc). This would be a normal process for the parties and even the ideologies to adapt to the needs of the voters as they exist now.

Conservatism and populism are inimical. If anything, I see Democrats picking up some voters with some conservative values, such as respect for the rule of law, adherence to protocol and precedent, promotion of education and personal development, caution in foreign policy, rejection of provocation of violence and anger, and insistence upon integrity in personal and public dealings. That all far better fits Obama than Trump, and if Republicans want to win the presidency again they had better select someone who acts much like Obama. Obama never was a populist, and his personal behavior is as conservative as one gets.

However, at no point did I ever consider that we would be a point where one man has become indispensable (in a system where the very concept of such runs contrary to our founding principles, laws and traditions), where it is acceptable to overrun congress for not bending to your will (violates separation of powers), where basic denial of facts becomes the accepted narrative for a right wing political echo chamber (after being spun up by a whiny loser who "cannot acknowledge defeat because it isn't in his DNA") and where a cancel culture is spun up by a swarm of snowflakes to eliminate anyone who doesn't conform to the hive mind.

The Capitol Putsch has much more in common with the successful storming of the Winter Palace in Petrograd in 1917 than with anything else in American history. The problem is the Putsch. We must all recognize that we will all lose some elections, and that we had better find other ways in which to get things done for us than to rely upon partisan politics.

Just like anyone who violated private property and the like during the riots last summer should be held accountable for their actions and face justice for their actions, so too should the rioters on 1/6. They are not political prisoners, they violated the law and are being prosecuted under the law as such for distinct and stated crimes, which presently exist in the statutes. These are not trumped up charges, whimsical made up laws or some other such conceptualization of arbitrary rule, it is the rule of law playing out.

... and the rioters at Black Lives Matter rallies are getting that treatment. Anyone who does looting, violence, vandalism or arson at a political demonstration should expect to be told that overturning a police car is not an act of protest but instead a crime. Anyone who does a crime at an otherwise peaceful protest deserves to be prosecuted, and anyone thinking of doing so must have the fear that anyone holding a minicam could be getting video evidence suitable for use by police or prosecutors. Someone who believes in the objectives of the protest might turn to his surprise into a police informant. I'd certainly report overt crime. The protest is lawful under First Amendment rights. Theft, assault, and property damage aren't.

If I were a judge I would use the non-violence of large numbers of participants as a clear contrast to any criminal misconduct.  
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2021, 12:42:01 PM »

There will come a day in our lifetimes where one political party manages to overturn a free and fair election that they lost.

This treachery was made possible by Trump and the Republicans.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2021, 12:45:49 PM »

lol, what's it like to do a coup when no one shows up?  LOSERS!
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2021, 01:26:44 PM »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »

So what caused this gathering of traitors to fall apart?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2021, 01:38:24 PM »

Trump wasn't there.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2021, 02:53:28 PM »

What a fail, lol.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2021, 02:57:38 PM »

Lack of institutional support and air cover from the Republican Party and its elected officials as opposed to Jan. 6. Even MTG and Gaetz declined to speak.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »

Trumpism does seem to be losing steam since he was banned on twitter. Lets see what happens
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2021, 03:23:46 PM »

You see somewhere along the lines, the memo telling me that I should not care about mob rule when it is "our mob" got lost in the mail. Which is probably good because I would have burned it anyway.

To me, the idea that a mob of any kind, much less one that trespasses on the Capitol, is something to be celebrated is a horrifying prospect and coming just months after decrying mob excess on the other sides paints a picture of hypocrisy beyond all measure. I have said repeatedly that this incident represents a dangerous slide towards Caesarism that could be picked up by the left or right in the future. That is if Congress doesn't go along with you, just send a mob of people or at that maybe even the Army "to force them to vote the right way". That is something that Julius Caesar or Napoleon Bonaparte would do, but the minute that happens, it is the end of America as we have known it for 200 plus years. No one's political crusade or whatever you want to call it, is worth surrendering that for.

I was ahead of the curve in terms of bending conservatism in a more populist direction and addressing the various problems that the establishment had been deficient at (Immigration, Trade, Foreign Policy, Neoliberalism etc). This would be a normal process for the parties and even the ideologies to adapt to the needs of the voters as they exist now.

However, at no point did I ever consider that we would be a point where one man has become indispensable (in a system where the very concept of such runs contrary to our founding principles, laws and traditions), where it is acceptable to overrun congress for not bending to your will (violates separation of powers), where basic denial of facts becomes the accepted narrative for a right wing political echo chamber (after being spun up by a whiny loser who "cannot acknowledge defeat because it isn't in his DNA") and where a cancel culture is spun up by a swarm of snowflakes to eliminate anyone who doesn't conform to the hive mind.

Just like anyone who violated private property and the like during the riots last summer should be held accountable for their actions and face justice for their actions, so too should the rioters on 1/6. They are not political prisoners, they violated the law and are being prosecuted under the law as such for distinct and stated crimes, which presently exist in the statutes. These are not trumped up charges, whimsical made up laws or some other such conceptualization of arbitrary rule, it is the rule of law playing out.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/09/17/joe-bidens-political-prisoners/

Judge Amit Mehta, appointed by Barack Obama in 2014, repeatedly has signed orders to keep Watkins, Harrelson, and Meggs in jail, arguing they pose a danger because they plotted in advance to travel to Washington, D.C. and enter the building together while acknowledging they committed no violent crime.

I'll let this article speak for itself.  I don't have a problem with lawbreakers facing the bar of justice.  I do very much have a problem with the Eighth Amendment not being followed by virtue of the imposition of either excessive bail or no bail for defendants whose charges (for which they are presumed innocent) merit reasonable bail.  To say nothing of J6 defendants being held in solitary confinement.

Just how "liberal" is it for a Judge to violate the Eighth Amendment?  I know there's a political narrative at stake that can't bear honest scrutiny, but shouldn't Constitutional Principles take precedence when setting bail for criminal defendants?  You have people held in lieu of excessive bail for MISDEMEANORS.  Given that we have a slew of posters that supported the ABOLITION of cash bail for violent felonies in NY State and elsewhere, where's the outcry for the Eighth Amendment in a forum that is purportedly predominantly "liberal"?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »

Trumpism does seem to be losing steam since he was banned on twitter. Lets see what happens

Oh cool, I'm not the only one who's noticed that. Yeah, his movement is very anemic compared to where it was on January 6th. Have there even been any more QAnon predictions? Tongue
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »

Lack of institutional support and air cover from the Republican Party and its elected officials as opposed to Jan. 6. Even MTG and Gaetz declined to speak.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2021, 03:55:52 PM »

Oh cool, I'm not the only one who's noticed that. Yeah, his movement is very anemic compared to where it was on January 6th. Have there even been any more QAnon predictions? Tongue
QAnon is now basically just them sitting back and waiting for the military to reinstate Trump which is supposedly going to happen any day now.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »

Also there were apparently rumors among the pro-Trump crowd that the FBI secretly planned this as a sting operation. So that might have contributed to low turnout.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »

There will come a day in our lifetimes where one political party manages to overturn a free and fair election that they lost.

This treachery was made possible by Trump and the Republicans.

This has already happened.

Definitely:  1876, where Hayes beats Tilden.

Likely:  1960 where JFK beats Nixon due to results from Chicago and select Texas counties.

The election of 2020 was not "fair" by any standard.  It's not a fair election when certain states and localities choose to conduct their elections in manners not prescribed by law (or, in PA's case, by the State Constitution).  And it's not a fair election when Courts find technical reasons to dismiss lawsuits that ought to be heard in full on the merits, given what's at stake.

We won't even talk about things such as media blackouts on stories unfavorable to Biden that would have been front page if they were against Trump (e. g. Hunter Biden).  That's a whole other issue of "fairness".

The first election I ever worked on, from beginning to end, was a stolen election.  A 200 something lead disappeared after the candidate ticked off the party leader.  This was 1974.  I know it was done.  (I had far more inside information then than I do now.)  I know how it was done.  I've seen courts allow fraudulent signatures to allow minor candidates on the opposition party payroll to remain there to siphon away votes.  I've seen a majority of committee members who were elected in primaries be undermined by strongarm resignations of two of the winning candidates.  So stop your histrionics.  The American public can deal with with the fact that voter fraud DOES exist and can come up with solutions to the problem.  That they can deal with that more rationally than you can do with the idea that Trump might, indeed, have been robbed and could, indeed, have been re-elected says far more about you than about anyone else.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2021, 04:23:24 PM »

Conservatism and populism are inimical.

Conservatism as extolled during the last half of the 20th century was never going to continue completely unchanged and indeed the specific applications of it from that period were far too inflexible and the inability of the "reasonable" people to adapt and remain in touch with the people they serve is a great part of the reason that we have Trump and that Trump has developed such a devoted fan base.

Conservatism is not incompatible with a different approach to trade or foreign police, in fact one could argue doing so is more in tune with the conservative approach as a whole. Foreign policy restrain is far more "conservative" objectively speaking than neoconservative for example.

What is completely incompatible with Conservatism is the shift towards mob rule and executive tyranny that we have witnessed in the Trump era. I typically call this Bonapartism or Caesarism, the idea that a "majority" can elect a strong man with "unusual" or "special" powers to address certain "issues". This is certainly something that can be called populism and it is the form of populism that NiK and I militantly opposed way back in 2009 in arguments with a pro-Huey Long poster from I think Arkansas.

However, there is difference between "Conservatives" bending towards populism on select issues, then diving straight into the territory of Huey Long, or Julius Caesar in terms of governmental structure, constitution, checks and balances, rule of law and the rest.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2021, 04:29:59 PM »

Definitely:  1876, where Hayes beats Tilden.

Not speaking about your specifically, but we have had over the years a lot of moderates and others who adore Tilden and bemoan the fact that "Hayes robbed him of the election".

However great Tilden would have been or was, at the end of the day, his popular vote win and "possible EC win" was the product of massive voter suppression of African American Republicans in the South.

Had this suppression not occurred, then Tilden would have lost those Southern states and probably others easily (Mississippi comes to mind) and might have lost the popular vote. This is often never even referenced or discussed in the context of conversations about Hayes becoming President and "stealing the election from Tilden". If Hayes did steal the election from Tilden, he was stealing back after the Democrats stole it from him.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2021, 05:15:03 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

https://amgreatness.com/2021/09/17/joe-bidens-political-prisoners/

Judge Amit Mehta, appointed by Barack Obama in 2014, repeatedly has signed orders to keep Watkins, Harrelson, and Meggs in jail, arguing they pose a danger because they plotted in advance to travel to Washington, D.C. and enter the building together while acknowledging they committed no violent crime.

I'll let this article speak for itself.  I don't have a problem with lawbreakers facing the bar of justice.  I do very much have a problem with the Eighth Amendment not being followed by virtue of the imposition of either excessive bail or no bail for defendants whose charges (for which they are presumed innocent) merit reasonable bail.  To say nothing of J6 defendants being held in solitary confinement.

Just how "liberal" is it for a Judge to violate the Eighth Amendment?  I know there's a political narrative at stake that can't bear honest scrutiny, but shouldn't Constitutional Principles take precedence when setting bail for criminal defendants?  You have people held in lieu of excessive bail for MISDEMEANORS.  Given that we have a slew of posters that supported the ABOLITION of cash bail for violent felonies in NY State and elsewhere, where's the outcry for the Eighth Amendment in a forum that is purportedly predominantly "liberal"?

I am not a liberal, I don't support the elimination of cash bail and there are plenty of circumstances in which people are denied bail because fear of flight or perceived danger to the public.

Storming the capital because you were duped by quacks on the internet and a loser who cannot admit to losing is certainly grounds for concern for public safety.

Also in terms of the actions of an Obama judge, I voted for Romney in 2012 and Burr in 2010 for a reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies