"Justice for J6" rally planned for Saturday at the Capitol.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 08:35:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Justice for J6" rally planned for Saturday at the Capitol.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "Justice for J6" rally planned for Saturday at the Capitol.  (Read 1675 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2021, 11:49:44 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/politics/september-18-rally-capitol-security-explainer/index.html

A lot of right-wing groups are holding a rally demanding those arrested from January 6 all be released. The Pentagon is calling in 100 National Guard troops and security is being upgraded.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »

We were told by our Campus Police to avoid downtown this weekend. Fair enough, I had a lot of work to do anyways.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:24:42 PM »

These idiots are caught on camera beating police with flag poles and gouging their eyes, and they want them released?
What the hell is that?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »

These idiots are caught on camera beating police with flag poles and gouging their eyes, and they want them released?
What the hell is that?

As my sociology professor friend in the driver seat next to me-hyphen road Tris road trip for a concert-hyphen just said is a said "what's a few dead cops between friends anyway"
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »

Every single one of these people should be put on a domestic terror watch list.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

Prediction: this will turn out to be a wet firecracker.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 04:44:56 PM »

I guess I knew deep down that this would happen one day.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

What an _______.
Atlas, if this happens to you, close your account. Why even have one?
I cannot believe someone would actually go to this extreme. And, even post evidence of it like they are proud of it.
And here I'm calling France a crybaby in the Australia/US/France submarine thread.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 05:26:28 PM »

What an _______.
Atlas, if this happens to you, close your account. Why even have one?
I cannot believe someone would actually go to this extreme. And, even post evidence of it like they are proud of it.
And here I'm calling France a crybaby in the Australia/US/France submarine thread.
He’s probably making a joke.
Anyways, I second what GeorgiaMod said. Security is really heightened and I think that it will probably only be a few people showing up at most. DC may end up being the safest downtown to be in this weekend due to the security patrolling the area.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »

... Anyways, I second what GeorgiaMod said. Security is really heightened and I think that it will probably only be a few people showing up at most. DC may end up being the safest downtown to be in this weekend due to the security patrolling the area.

I'm not so certain.
I was beside myself seeing the live video during the Jan 6th Insurrection. And the shock was not that The Capitol failed to have proper security (on Jan 6), but the fact that Americans would lower themselves to Neanderthal Morons and do what they did.
If these same Neanderthal Morons are gathering again, who knows what idiocy they will commit again.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »

I will be there to support MY president.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 05:50:04 PM »

this will be a big nothingburger.

Also, this is a very stupid thing for the organizers to do.  Absolute best case scenario, they throw a huge, PEACEFUL rally for no purpose.  But the odds of that are tiny.  If no one (less than 250) show up, it will be embarrassing.  If a lot of people show up and then start sh**t, it will be a tragedy.

And at the same time, their "enemies" win no matter what happens.  If no one (<250) show up they get to go "lol, what's it like to do a coup when no one shows up?  LOSERS!".  If a lot of people show up and start sh**t (or not), they get to go "lol, you lost the election, quit acting like babies" (or any of a dozen other better angles).

Why give the other side a free PR win?  This is dumber than torching a Target in support of black lives.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 05:56:20 PM »

I have a hard time seeing this being anywhere in the same league as January 6th when the entire executive branch has gone from being sympathetic and encouraging to adversarial and ready to take action. That being said, I do think we should watch out for lone wolf-type stuff like pipe bombs and vehicle-ramming attacks.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »

this will be a big nothingburger.

Also, this is a very stupid thing for the organizers to do.  Absolute best case scenario, they throw a huge, PEACEFUL rally for no purpose.  But the odds of that are tiny.  If no one (less than 250) show up, it will be embarrassing.  If a lot of people show up and then start sh**t, it will be a tragedy.

And at the same time, their "enemies" win no matter what happens.  If no one (<250) show up they get to go "lol, what's it like to do a coup when no one shows up?  LOSERS!".  If a lot of people show up and start sh**t (or not), they get to go "lol, you lost the election, quit acting like babies" (or any of a dozen other better angles).

Why give the other side a free PR win?  This is dumber than torching a Target in support of black lives.
These people sure aren't bright. Look at their attempt at a Charlottesville anniversary rally, in which instance your first scenario occurred.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »

Imagine if a bunch of Muslims got together to protest against on the behalf of imprisoned Al Qaeda/ISIS members...

Anyway, the security measures are absolutely the right thing to do in this circumstance, but I agree with others who imagine this being another 1/6. What set that apart from all of the other many right wing rallies we've seen over the years was that Trump was present at that one and spurned the supporters on and created the enthusiasm for so many to show up. Without him there I can't imagine the zeal, or even the turnout being nearly as high. Trump was the common denominator, and it's why he really should have been convicted by the Senate in a just world.

Better safe than sorry though. We have had lone pro-Trump terrorists attempt their own means of political violence, thankfully they've been unsuccessful so far. But as the rate of right wing terrorism increases in this country, so to may the success rate.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 09:00:39 PM »

This is gonna be a honeypot of federal agents, lol. Hopefully nothing stupid happens.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »

With a name like "Justice for J6" they ought to be calling for throwing the book at those who invaded the Capitol Building.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 10:47:53 PM »

The real heat will be after 2022.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 11:03:32 PM »

Many of my friends will be attending the peaceful rally, I hope they are very lucky!
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 11:11:18 PM »

Many of my friends will be attending the peaceful rally, I hope they are very lucky!

Squinting
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 01:09:24 AM »

Your friends are scumf##k traitors. Just saying.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 03:06:47 AM »

Tell your friends (if what you’re saying is accurate) to abandon their plans or something. I can’t imagine how careless or low IQ one would have to be to fall into such as obvious honeypot but here we are.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 03:27:08 AM »

Why are we having a rally for people who merely took a "tour" on January 6?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 03:43:48 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2021, 03:48:45 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

We are getting justice for 1/6, one courtroom at a time.

You see somewhere along the lines, the memo telling me that I should not care about mob rule when it is "our mob" got lost in the mail. Which is probably good because I would have burned it anyway.

To me, the idea that a mob of any kind, much less one that trespasses on the Capitol, is something to be celebrated is a horrifying prospect and coming just months after decrying mob excess on the other sides paints a picture of hypocrisy beyond all measure. I have said repeatedly that this incident represents a dangerous slide towards Caesarism that could be picked up by the left or right in the future. That is if Congress doesn't go along with you, just send a mob of people or at that maybe even the Army "to force them to vote the right way". That is something that Julius Caesar or Napoleon Bonaparte would do, but the minute that happens, it is the end of America as we have known it for 200 plus years. No one's political crusade or whatever you want to call it, is worth surrendering that for.

I was ahead of the curve in terms of bending conservatism in a more populist direction and addressing the various problems that the establishment had been deficient at (Immigration, Trade, Foreign Policy, Neoliberalism etc). This would be a normal process for the parties and even the ideologies to adapt to the needs of the voters as they exist now.

However, at no point did I ever consider that we would be a point where one man has become indispensable (in a system where the very concept of such runs contrary to our founding principles, laws and traditions), where it is acceptable to overrun congress for not bending to your will (violates separation of powers), where basic denial of facts becomes the accepted narrative for a right wing political echo chamber (after being spun up by a whiny loser who "cannot acknowledge defeat because it isn't in his DNA") and where a cancel culture is spun up by a swarm of snowflakes to eliminate anyone who doesn't conform to the hive mind.

Just like anyone who violated private property and the like during the riots last summer should be held accountable for their actions and face justice for their actions, so too should the rioters on 1/6. They are not political prisoners, they violated the law and are being prosecuted under the law as such for distinct and stated crimes, which presently exist in the statutes. These are not trumped up charges, whimsical made up laws or some other such conceptualization of arbitrary rule, it is the rule of law playing out.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 07:15:23 AM »

Your friends are scumf##k traitors. Just saying.

Just like BLM and Antifa.

And just like BLM and Antifa, they have the right to peaceably assemble, to seek redress of their grievances.  If arrested, they have the right to reasonable bail.

Anyone who says that the January 6 rioters have been offered bail in line with the 8th Amendment is willfully blind to Constitutional violations by the Federal Courts and the Biden DOJ.  A good number of those charged are MISDEMEANANTS, not even felonies.  I don't think it's too unreasonable to suggest that these defendants receive the same adherence to the Constitution as more favored Woke criminals.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies