BREAKING: AOC wears a "Tax The Rich" dress at the Met Gala, where a ticket costs $30,000 to attend.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:38:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: AOC wears a "Tax The Rich" dress at the Met Gala, where a ticket costs $30,000 to attend.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: BREAKING: AOC wears a "Tax The Rich" dress at the Met Gala, where a ticket costs $30,000 to attend.  (Read 3394 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2021, 08:18:04 PM »

AOC's dress was such a heroic stand against inequality.

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse here, so let's try a different tack. Can you describe for me what an appropriate way for her to promote change in the tax laws would be, in your view, that wouldn't be a selfish / hypocritical indulgence?

Sure! I mentioned earlier she could've staged a "Tax the Rich" demonstration in protest of the Met Gala's elitism. She could organize or help lend credibility to efforts to pressure New York's new governor to combat income inequality through new tax legislation. She could've participated in a charity event. Anything.

Frankly, if she had just gone to the Met Gala because she wanted to be there, then I wouldn't be anywhere near as annoyed, but the fact that she's going and wearing a silly meme dress like this to pretend that she's doing something is what insults me. Don't make a mockery out of a real cause just to further your own brand. And there's nothing brave about pushing a totally safe message like "Tax the Rich" at an event surrounded by a completely friendly audience. There was nothing brave about LinkedIn's rainbow logo back in June either. It's just a classless branding exercise done on the back of a serious issue, and I would rather we not redefine "activism" to allow things like this to fit.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2021, 08:28:09 PM »

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse here, so let's try a different tack. Can you describe for me what an appropriate way for her to promote change in the tax laws would be, in your view, that wouldn't be a selfish / hypocritical indulgence?

Sure! I mentioned earlier she could've staged a "Tax the Rich" demonstration in protest of the Met Gala's elitism. She could organize or help lend credibility to efforts to pressure New York's new governor to combat income inequality through new tax legislation. She could've participated in a charity event. Anything.

Frankly, if she had just gone to the Met Gala because she wanted to be there, then I wouldn't be anywhere near as annoyed, but the fact that she's going and wearing a silly meme dress like this to pretend that she's doing something is what insults me. Don't make a mockery out of a real cause just to further your own brand. And there's nothing brave about pushing a totally safe message like "Tax the Rich" at an event surrounded by a completely friendly audience. There was nothing brave about LinkedIn's rainbow logo back in June either. It's just a classless branding exercise done on the back of a serious issue, and I would rather we not redefine "activism" to allow things like this to fit.

She's networking with big money donors that support her stance. You'd be surprised how many wealthy people support giving into the system more if they spent the money correctly.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2021, 08:28:37 PM »

Are you aware that she's actively promoting tax increases on the rich in the federal reconciliation budget in her role as a member of Congress? That's real legislation she can influence directly, rather than indirectly.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2021, 08:46:02 PM »

What a bizarre thing to get so bent out of shape over.  How very Atlas.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2021, 10:23:46 PM »

The weirdest thing about the Met Gala wasn't AOC's dress, it's that the staff were apparently required to be masked while the patrons were not.

New York's vaccine mandate applies to employees and patrons equally.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2021, 01:11:12 AM »

@dale Cooper.  Just a reminder that the met gala is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the metropolitan museum kis tripod in museum, and the reason that New York residents can attend it free of charge and everyone else at reduced rates.

Your attempts at crowing at anti eliteism just are plain unhinged throughout this thread. Please give it a rest.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2021, 03:10:11 AM »

The weirdest thing about the Met Gala wasn't AOC's dress, it's that the staff were apparently required to be masked while the patrons were not.

My guess would be sanitary reasons with food service.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2021, 08:45:31 AM »

absolutely disgusting

this kind of thing is why i'm against employment being de facto economically mandatory or socially de facto mandatory... basically no more putting people in positions where they have to accept it on terms like that
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2021, 12:29:46 PM »

absolutely disgusting

this kind of thing is why i'm against employment being de facto economically mandatory or socially de facto mandatory... basically no more putting people in positions where they have to accept it on terms like that

You are an idiot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2021, 05:19:40 PM by Filuwaúrdjan »

There's something decidedly Daily Mail about it all isn't there? Carefully examining photographs taken from behind a young woman in a quite tight dress, announcing your outrage to the world and sharing these photographs with others, generally while giving them another careful inspection yourself.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2021, 03:01:21 PM »

Also note that no one is wearing masks or distancing! I have such a seething distaste for these hypocrites.

Vaccination was required to attend. Nicki Minaj for example chose not to attend because she believed the vaccine caused her cousin's friend's scrotum to swell to an extreme size.

Don’t you think it is a little messed up that vaccinated teens must wear masks to school. Vaccinated healthcare workers and patients must still wear masks, yet vaccinated celebrities can go to dress up parties mask-less, while the staff are required to wear masks?
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »

Nothing will ever top the Lil Nas X satanic panic megathread, but I feel like this one has potential.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2021, 09:18:18 AM »

I'm not bent out of shape over this.  She can wear what she wants.  Exposing rank posing and virtue signaling is another thing; that is Vintage Atlas and, indeed, the raison d'etre for many here.

If Sandy Cortez weren't of Hispanic heritage she'd be lambasted as just another Limousine Liberal.  She's from affluent Westchester County and she grew up in affluence.  That's fine, and it's fine that people who are given much are concerned with those who have less.  It's less fine when you're a poser, and your empathy for those less fortunate than you is selective.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 09:28:21 AM by Triangle Man »

What a bizarre thing to get so bent out of shape over.  How very Atlas.

I'm not bent out of shape over this.  She can wear what she wants.  Exposing rank posing and virtue signaling is another thing; that is Vintage Atlas and, indeed, the raison d'etre for many here.

If Sandy Cortez weren't of Hispanic heritage she'd be lambasted as just another Limousine Liberal.  She's from affluent Westchester County and she grew up in affluence.  That's fine, and it's fine that people who are given much are concerned with those who have less.  It's less fine when you're a poser, and your empathy for those less fortunate than you is selective.
Not all of Westchester County is rich. White Plains itself feels just like the Bronx. So does Flushing.

I forget what this was about because I think thought it was stupid. What if a Republican politician posed with a bunch of poor people with a dress that said "Cancel Obamacare/Social Security/Food Stamps/Section 8"?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2021, 09:55:02 AM »

I'm not bent out of shape over this.  She can wear what she wants.  Exposing rank posing and virtue signaling is another thing; that is Vintage Atlas and, indeed, the raison d'etre for many here.

If Sandy Cortez weren't of Hispanic heritage she'd be lambasted as just another Limousine Liberal.  She's from affluent Westchester County and she grew up in affluence.  That's fine, and it's fine that people who are given much are concerned with those who have less.  It's less fine when you're a poser, and your empathy for those less fortunate than you is selective.
Not all of Westchester County is rich. White Plains itself feels just like the Bronx. So does Flushing.

I forget what this was about because I think thought it was stupid. What if a Republican politician posed with a bunch of poor people with a dress that said "Cancel Obamacare/Social Security/Food Stamps/Section 8"?

Sandy Cortez grew up in the Parkchester section of the Bronx, then moved to Yorktown Heights.  That's not the "poor" section of Westchester; it's not Mount Vernon, it's not Yonkers, and it's not Port Chester.  It's not White Plains.  She's a poser.  I'm happy to share that.  She has no more idea how poor people live than the Man in the Moon.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »

Yeah, I don't know what the precise laws are in NY, but this sounds like what I see everywhere between VA and the Northeast... masks optional for patrons if you're vaccinated (and it's an honor system) but employees wear masks.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2021, 11:10:16 AM »

Sandy Cortez grew up in the Parkchester section of the Bronx, then moved to Yorktown Heights.  That's not the "poor" section of Westchester; it's not Mount Vernon, it's not Yonkers, and it's not Port Chester.  It's not White Plains.  She's a poser.  I'm happy to share that.  She has no more idea how poor people live than the Man in the Moon.

So it isn’t socially acceptable  support policies against the interests your opponents say you have?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2021, 11:23:19 AM »

how is this thread still going
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »

I'm not bent out of shape over this.  … continued rambling

I wasn’t really referring to you, but since you chose to respond to me, then I guess the shoe fits.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies