Michigan vs. Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:25:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Michigan vs. Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which state do you prefer?
Michigan

Pennsylvania

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Michigan vs. Pennsylvania  (Read 728 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2021, 05:34:20 PM »

Well?
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »

Pennsylvania--two great population centers in Philly and Pittsburgh (has their bad parts but so does everywhere else), nice mountain scenery, some of the best colleges/universities, and overall nice people.

FWIW, most Michiganders I know are quite nice as well.  Who knows, I could get along with SN2903.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 06:24:46 PM »

Go to the UP and you’ll have your answer.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 11:21:30 PM »

Looks like an amazing summer visit, but.....I wouldn't want to winter there.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 11:22:19 PM »

The state I live in.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »

Michigan
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 10:30:43 AM »

Michigan! Go Green!
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »

Pennsylvania, but Michigan is the more aesthetically beautiful state.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »

Being in the 20s-30s most of the winter is better then it being 100% humidity and 90s most of the summer.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »

Pennsylvania is so much more interesting. I get that the upper peninsula is nice, but you know, averages.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 01:29:53 PM »

Philadelphia is one of God's greatest gifts to humankind, so PA by default. Lancaster is also very cool and interesting and I enjoyed my time in Pittsburgh. I've never been to Michigan so I can't give a fair opinion, but I imagine I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed those places. However, the rest of PA totally sucks and is not worth visiting.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 07:24:54 PM »

PA has better cities, but MI has better outdoor attractions and scenery. PA would be better to live, but MI would be better to visit due to the UP. Northern Michigan and Northern Ontario are similar and very scenic.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 07:39:41 PM »

Being in the 20s-30s most of the winter is better then it being 100% humidity and 90s most of the summer.

The average temperature in Marquette, MI in January is 18 degrees and in February it’s 19 degrees. The average high is around 25 degrees. 73 days of the year on average have a maximum of freezing temperature (32 degrees). That means 20% of the entire year up there is below freezing. There is also an average of a couple weeks per year when temperatures are below 0.

That is a VERY cold, VERY long winter. Way worse than you make it sound. I’d take sweating my ass off in the summer any day over that brutal cold. Besides, Pittsburgh is actually a place with a more reasonable upper 20s/low 30s average in the (shorter) winter AND it is not that hot or humid in the summer, with averages in the 60s/70s, highs rarely exceeding the 80s, and humidity never getting much higher than about 70%. That is a reasonable, temperate climate. Slightly cooler than Lexington where I’m from, but WAY warmer than the UP. I could very easily live there, not so much for the UP. Those winters would f—king kill me. Even beyond just the cold itself, the heavy snow would be a real pain in the ass to deal with all the time.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 07:41:02 PM »

Michigan is a top 5 state.

It's very racist.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »

Pittsburgh is probably the most beautiful city I've ever been to in this country, so Pennsylvania is the obvious choice.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 08:29:47 AM »

Pittsburgh is probably the most beautiful city I've ever been to in this country, so Pennsylvania is the obvious choice.

Smartest person on the Atlas.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 10:12:18 PM »

As I'm from Ohio, Pennsylvania obviously.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 04:57:36 AM »

PA, but that's my home state so I'm very partial to it.

PA has Hershey Kisses you can take a picture with, Crayola Crayons, it's the center of potato chip manufacturing, we have caves where there are real crystals, a coal mine you can go down in, Sheetzes, Wawas, gorgeous forests and nature with secluded waterfalls and you can take a dip in the natural pools underneath them...

The Lehigh Valley is a really nice place to live.  I'd go back tomorrow if I could.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »

The average temperature in Marquette, MI in January is 18 degrees and in February it’s 19 degrees. The average high is around 25 degrees. 73 days of the year on average have a maximum of freezing temperature (32 degrees). That means 20% of the entire year up there is below freezing. There is also an average of a couple weeks per year when temperatures are below 0.

That is a VERY cold, VERY long winter. Way worse than you make it sound. I’d take sweating my ass off in the summer any day over that brutal cold. Besides, Pittsburgh is actually a place with a more reasonable upper 20s/low 30s average in the (shorter) winter AND it is not that hot or humid in the summer, with averages in the 60s/70s, highs rarely exceeding the 80s, and humidity never getting much higher than about 70%. That is a reasonable, temperate climate. Slightly cooler than Lexington where I’m from, but WAY warmer than the UP. I could very easily live there, not so much for the UP. Those winters would f—king kill me. Even beyond just the cold itself, the heavy snow would be a real pain in the ass to deal with all the time.

You can always put more on and be warm, you eventually can’t take more off.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »

You can always put more on and be warm, you eventually can’t take more off.

True.  I'm always warm....and you're right about hot ass humidity and high temps.  But man, winter hurts and it hurts more when you're an old.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies