2021 College Football Discussion and Pick'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 09:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2021 College Football Discussion and Pick'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 57
Author Topic: 2021 College Football Discussion and Pick'em Thread  (Read 34446 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: November 06, 2021, 12:22:57 AM »

Given Stanford is getting destroyed by Utah right now, and they only games they've looked good in were against USC and Oregon (and Vanderbilt, but even a school full of nuns can beat Vanderbilt), is there any possibility of David Shaw getting fired either before the season ends, or after the season? It's worth noting that the Cardinal haven't participated in a bowl game since the 2018 Sun Bowl....
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #801 on: November 06, 2021, 01:14:48 AM »

Air Force
North Carolina
Ole Miss
SMU
Miami
East Carolina
UL-Monroe
Cincinnati
Michigan State
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M
Baylor
Penn State
Troy
Mississippi State
Florida Atlantic
Tennessee
Boise State
Old Dominion
Oregon
Clemson
Iowa State
Nevada
UTSA
Arizona State
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #802 on: November 06, 2021, 09:39:04 AM »

Georgia is a 39.5-point favorite over Missouri today, which is the most I can recall ever seeing us favored in a conference game.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #803 on: November 06, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2021, 10:36:53 AM by Donerail »

Given Stanford is getting destroyed by Utah right now, and they only games they've looked good in were against USC and Oregon (and Vanderbilt, but even a school full of nuns can beat Vanderbilt), is there any possibility of David Shaw getting fired either before the season ends, or after the season?
No. He is the winningest coach in school history, there's no faction that dislikes him, and he understands how to recruit decent enough to a place that is very hard to recruit (of particular note, he cannot rely on early enrollees or transfers, which is at least part of most schools' plans these days). He has accumulated enough goodwill that at this point he effectively has the job for as long as he wants it — it would probably take a winless season, or at least being this bad next year, for that to be a serious conversation barring some sort of legal scandal. Maybe it's time to talk about an OC change, but they're not gonna fire Shaw.

Also, Stanford is of course private, so we can only guess at the financial situation, but Shaw makes $9 mil a year. No one outside the administration knows how long the contract runs or what the buyout would be. Maybe silly to talk about money as a concern here, given the size of the endowment, but the school did just attempt to cut a third of its varsity sports citing budgetary reasons. There's a ton of money here, just in the air, but this is not a place (referring to both Palo Alto and the Bay in general) with the same booster culture as the hardcore cfb parts of the country — Bill Neukom is not going to write a $20 mil check to pay Shaw not to coach in the way that, say, Wexner at OSU or T. Boone at the other OSU.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #804 on: November 06, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »

Georgia is a 39.5-point favorite over Missouri today, which is the most I can recall ever seeing us favored in a conference game.

Georgia never plays Vandy?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #805 on: November 06, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »

Georgia never plays Vandy?

Yes, and IIRC we were 36-point favorites against them earlier this year (in Nashville).  We won 62-0.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #806 on: November 06, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »

Wake-NC seems fun so far. Looks very much like whoever scores last wins. I pity whoever took the under.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #807 on: November 06, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »

Wake-NC seems fun so far. Looks very much like whoever scores last wins. I pity whoever took the under.

The over/under was 78, and it's already over that with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #808 on: November 06, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »

Illinois upsets Minnesota, 14-6.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #809 on: November 06, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »

Memphis staves off a furious SMU comeback for the upset.  The Mustangs had trailed 28-10 in the fourth quarter, but cut it to 28-25 and were driving for a tying or winning score until a late interception sealed the outcome.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #810 on: November 06, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »

Down goes Wake. The committee must be delighted.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #811 on: November 06, 2021, 02:54:57 PM »

Well I can't imagine the committee could penalize them too badly for a non-conference loss. They're still undefeated in ACC play
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #812 on: November 06, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »

Got here just in time.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #813 on: November 06, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »

Cincinnati leads Tulsa only 14-12 at the half.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #814 on: November 06, 2021, 04:35:30 PM »

Well I can't imagine the committee could penalize them too badly for a non-conference loss. They're still undefeated in ACC play

Of course they will; they'll put them in a place where a one loss Wake could not possibly reach the playoff. In the end, the Playoff exists to make money and Wake has no viewership footprint. Same reason they won't allow Cincinnati in if they can possibly avoid it.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #815 on: November 06, 2021, 04:44:52 PM »

Of course they will; they'll put them in a place where a one loss Wake could not possibly reach the playoff. In the end, the Playoff exists to make money and Wake has no viewership footprint. Same reason they won't allow Cincinnati in if they can possibly avoid it.

Wake is really not a very good team. Even before today they would have been a pretty questionable pick.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #816 on: November 06, 2021, 04:56:00 PM »

Wake is really not a very good team. Even before today they would have been a pretty questionable pick.

What does that matter? No team (outside of Alabama and only for Saban and recruiting reasons) can viably compete with Georgia on a neutral field this year. Better to see a new team lose by 20 than Ohio State back again to lose by 17.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #817 on: November 06, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »

Arizona snaps the nation's longest losing streak by beating Cal 10-3.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #818 on: November 06, 2021, 06:19:04 PM »

TCU!! Yes!

Now I can safely cheer for Baylor over OU next week without worrying about the hateful green team making the playoff
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #819 on: November 06, 2021, 07:09:19 PM »

What does that matter? No team (outside of Alabama and only for Saban and recruiting reasons) can viably compete with Georgia on a neutral field this year. Better to see a new team lose by 20 than Ohio State back again to lose by 17.

But they aren't really charged with creating a competition with underrepresented fanbases to make it interesting. It's supposed to be the four best teams in football. Fwiw, I don't think Georgia is indestructible, but they're certainly favored. You will want to keep teams like tOSU, Oregon, Bama, and throws up TTUN around because they can make it competitive. I do agree Cincy should be on that list of teams, though.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #820 on: November 06, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »

Florida losing to South Carolina 30-10
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #821 on: November 06, 2021, 08:18:28 PM »

Every team I root for is either losing or has lost yet again. Another bad week.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #822 on: November 06, 2021, 08:48:16 PM »

Arizona snaps the nation's longest losing streak by beating Cal 10-3.

After Arizona's win, UNLV became the FBS team with the longest losing streak (14 games -- Arizona's streak was 20).  However, the Rebels currently lead New Mexico 31-17 early in the 4th quarter.  If they hang on and win, I'm not sure who will own the longest losing streak.  I don't think there will be any remaining winless FBS teams.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #823 on: November 07, 2021, 12:20:37 AM »

My best guess as to what the committee will do in next week's rankings:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oregon

Just missed: Oklahoma, Michigan, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #824 on: November 07, 2021, 01:15:18 AM »

My best guess as to what the committee will do in next week's rankings:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oregon

Just missed: Oklahoma, Michigan, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State.
JW: What is your logic for having Ohio State jump Oregon?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies