Breyer not retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:08:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breyer not retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Breyer not retiring  (Read 3208 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2021, 12:26:46 AM »

This senile old fool is being an useful idiot to the GOP
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2021, 01:48:32 AM »

This senile old fool is being an useful idiot to the GOP

You know the D's are favored to retain the Senate until 2025, D's will win WI and PA and it will be a 51(48(1 Senate pending GA

So, he has until then to decide and he might retire next yr
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2021, 03:21:16 AM »

No need for him to retire, walk away, whatever before the Dems actually lose the Senate (which might not even happen). In the interim, if he dies he'll be replaced by a liberal.

If Dems lose the Senate, Breyer will not be replaced by a liberal until they take it back.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2021, 04:26:52 AM »

No need for him to retire, walk away, whatever before the Dems actually lose the Senate (which might not even happen). In the interim, if he dies he'll be replaced by a liberal.

If Dems lose the Senate, Breyer will not be replaced by a liberal until they take it back.

It would be pretty funny to see Democrats pull a lame-duck Supreme Court confirmation, but I don't trust them to pull it off. I think Breyer retires in 2022 for the reason lfromnj said, and Ketanji-Jackson replaces him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2021, 05:01:30 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2021, 05:15:02 AM by brucejoel99 »

I guess I'll just repost these quotes whenever Breyer's continued existence is in the news & resultantly triggers some of y'all, which will presumably happen at least a few more times over the next 9-12 months, given that some of y'all are just so easily spooked by literally anything that's not perfectly aligned with your visions of reality as you'd like it to be. Eh, who am I kidding? It's not like most of you are gonna even bother reading what I have, have had, & will continue to have to say on this matter anyway, let alone bother retaining the evidence put forth therein, because you evidently haven't before:

I don't understand why this is really all that baffling to some when there are frankly a litany of reasons - not at all involving "hubris," let alone of a "pure" variety - as to why he'd retire next summer instead of this summer: wanting to hear next year's abortion & affirmative action cases even if it's as a dissenter, not wanting to go without taking part in more in-person oral arguments as opposed to leaving right now when they're still remote over-the-phone, feeling confident about Pat Leahy's health not depriving Senate Democrats of a majority by next summer, & - of course - wanting to see KBJ succeed him, which likely wouldn't be the case if he were to step down right now, as she literally just got confirmed to the D.C. Circuit 3 weeks ago & isn't even slated to hear her first appellate case 'til Sept. Indeed, his asking one of his OT2020 clerks to stick around for another term (which is an unheard-of rarity when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships) implies that his doing so was just the easiest thing to do on short notice after presumably considering retirement this summer before making up his mind - for all of the aforementioned reasons - on one more year. Seriously, the available evidence at hand just doesn't point to Breyer willingly being "RBG 2: Electric Boogaloo," which makes sense, given his famous pragmatism.

Not retiring in the first summer of a Democratic presidency ≠ a naive blanket refusal to retire under a Democratic presidency, thus risking his death under a Republican presidency. Seriously, what is it with everybody on the left-of-center acting in recent days as if Breyer not retiring right now at this very moment equates to the literal end of the world? There's literally another summer left before the midterms, & Pat Leahy's doing just fine; Breyer's former clerk-turned-natural successor was literally just appointed to SCOTUS' Triple-A team, almost as if she's being teed-up for the inevitable vacancy that she's pretty much been the frontrunner for this whole time (& it's not like Breyer - who'd presumably like to see a valued former clerk of his own replace him - doesn't understand that retiring at this very moment would probably result in her actually not being the pick, given that being nominated for SCOTUS less than 3 weeks after becoming an appellate judge & before even hearing a single appellate case wouldn't be a good look); & one of Justice Breyer's OT2021 clerks is literally one of his OT2020 clerks whom he's asked to stick around for another term (which is an unheard-of rarity when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships), with the prominent implication being that his doing so was just the easiest thing to do on short notice after presumably considering retirement this summer before making up his mind - for all of the aforementioned reasons, & more (e.g., abortion/AA cases, one last in-person term) - on 1 more year. Seriously, y'all, all of the evidence points to one direction that looks a lot more like Summer 2022 than it does Armageddon.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2021, 07:36:50 AM »

Well yes. But they haven't lost it yet, so he doesn't need to retire yet. He has time to retire on Nov 9 and be replaced in the lame duck, if needed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »

D's aren't losing the Senate the last poll in NH showed Sununu loosing ground the Generic D was leading Generic R 45/43 and we still have Ryan, Beasley and Nixon if he decides to run as wave insurence, any blue wave will keep the H

But, it's gonna be difficult with DeSantis leading in FL and no VR to keep the H
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2021, 03:14:17 PM »

The thing is, that could happen at any moment. If a Democratic Senator dies or has to step down in a state with a GOP governor, we lose the Senate instantly. He needed to retire earlier this month.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »

The thing is, that could happen at any moment. If a Democratic Senator dies or has to step down in a state with a GOP governor, we lose the Senate instantly. He needed to retire earlier this month.

(No offense, but) I trust Breyer, the pragmatic former Senate staffer, to be more informed about the likelihood of such a possibility - maybe by having talked to Leahy about the current state of his health or something - than a random netizen.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2021, 04:46:36 PM »

(No offense, but) I trust Breyer, the pragmatic former Senate staffer, to be more informed about the likelihood of such a possibility - maybe by having talked to Leahy about the current state of his health or something - than a random netizen.

D's are likely to hold the S and if we get OH, NC, MO Nixon, as well as WI and PA we solidify Statehood with a wave in the, thru 2024 so Breyer has plenty of time to retire Rs aren't winning the Sen because Sununu polls have cratered

It's either gonna be an RH DS or Secular Trifecta, thru 2024
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »

I'm not going to start pulling my hair out unless we're having this same discussion exactly one year from now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »

He's retiring next yr after Gorsuch issues the SCOTUS ruling on Pro Adoption not pro abortion decision in LA case, KETANJI BROWN is SCOTUS JUSTICE NEXT SEPT WHICH WILL HELP MAGGIE HASSAN, MANDELA BARNES AND RAPHAEL WARNOCK, and help us keep the H in prep for DC Statehood next Sept
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2021, 06:02:04 PM »

I'm not going to start pulling my hair out unless we're having this same discussion exactly one year from now.

You know it's going to happen, right?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »

D's will have the Majority in the Senate until 2025 due to WI and PA in 2022/ stop worrying KETANJI BROWN will be approved before 2025
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2021, 08:25:33 PM »

I have no idea what's going to happen but I think it's more likely than not that he announces his retirement at the end of the next term. I'm sure in the leadup to that people will be freaking out though if that's what you mean.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »

Or the Democrats suddenly lose a Senate seat.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2021, 08:41:40 PM »

I guess I'll just repost these quotes whenever Breyer's continued existence is in the news & resultantly triggers some of y'all, which will presumably happen at least a few more times over the next 9-12 months, given that some of y'all are just so easily spooked by literally anything that's not perfectly aligned with your visions of reality as you'd like it to be. Eh, who am I kidding? It's not like most of you are gonna even bother reading what I have, have had, & will continue to have to say on this matter anyway, let alone bother retaining the evidence put forth therein, because you evidently haven't before:

I don't understand why this is really all that baffling to some when there are frankly a litany of reasons - not at all involving "hubris," let alone of a "pure" variety - as to why he'd retire next summer instead of this summer: wanting to hear next year's abortion & affirmative action cases even if it's as a dissenter, not wanting to go without taking part in more in-person oral arguments as opposed to leaving right now when they're still remote over-the-phone, feeling confident about Pat Leahy's health not depriving Senate Democrats of a majority by next summer, & - of course - wanting to see KBJ succeed him, which likely wouldn't be the case if he were to step down right now, as she literally just got confirmed to the D.C. Circuit 3 weeks ago & isn't even slated to hear her first appellate case 'til Sept. Indeed, his asking one of his OT2020 clerks to stick around for another term (which is an unheard-of rarity when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships) implies that his doing so was just the easiest thing to do on short notice after presumably considering retirement this summer before making up his mind - for all of the aforementioned reasons - on one more year. Seriously, the available evidence at hand just doesn't point to Breyer willingly being "RBG 2: Electric Boogaloo," which makes sense, given his famous pragmatism.

Not retiring in the first summer of a Democratic presidency ≠ a naive blanket refusal to retire under a Democratic presidency, thus risking his death under a Republican presidency. Seriously, what is it with everybody on the left-of-center acting in recent days as if Breyer not retiring right now at this very moment equates to the literal end of the world? There's literally another summer left before the midterms, & Pat Leahy's doing just fine; Breyer's former clerk-turned-natural successor was literally just appointed to SCOTUS' Triple-A team, almost as if she's being teed-up for the inevitable vacancy that she's pretty much been the frontrunner for this whole time (& it's not like Breyer - who'd presumably like to see a valued former clerk of his own replace him - doesn't understand that retiring at this very moment would probably result in her actually not being the pick, given that being nominated for SCOTUS less than 3 weeks after becoming an appellate judge & before even hearing a single appellate case wouldn't be a good look); & one of Justice Breyer's OT2021 clerks is literally one of his OT2020 clerks whom he's asked to stick around for another term (which is an unheard-of rarity when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships), with the prominent implication being that his doing so was just the easiest thing to do on short notice after presumably considering retirement this summer before making up his mind - for all of the aforementioned reasons, & more (e.g., abortion/AA cases, one last in-person term) - on 1 more year. Seriously, y'all, all of the evidence points to one direction that looks a lot more like Summer 2022 than it does Armageddon.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2021, 07:24:15 AM »

Breyer wants to serve on Appeals Crts when he retires something that Souter is doing or have done and so has OConnor, GINSBERG didn't want that because she had cancer anyways, Breyer has only hired clerks for one more term, he's gonna retire next yr

He also dropped hints that he doesn't know his plans beyond this term
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2021, 08:03:57 AM »

No? It seems like Justice Breyer wants another traditional term on the Court. His former law clerk is the frontrunner for his seat (and he certainly knows this). With that said, he's now the senior Justice of a rump minority. It's an unfortunate position, but most of what he'll get to do in the big cases is assign the dissent. But ultimately, I can't pretend to get into his mind.

Or the Democrats suddenly lose a Senate seat.

There are basically 3-4 states that are of potential concern should the worst happen, but that's it. Should the worst happen in any of this, there is no guarantee that Democrats won't have the majority in the Senate when the 118th Congress. We just prefer to have the guaranteed replacement as soon as we can.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2021, 11:13:45 AM »

Maybe he thinks the Pubs won't take over in 2022.  Oh who knows, but it's a life time appointment so he can go on his own terms.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »

Useless.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »

Yes gonna retire eventually and Biden not Trump will be REELECTED, because of Trump lies about a stolen Election

He never stops
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »

Yes gonna retire eventually and Biden not Trump will be REELECTED, because of Trump lies about a stolen Election

He never stops

Who will control the Senate is the real question.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »

He never stops

D's are gonna continue to control Senate because we are gonna win WI and PA and Ryan, Beasley and Nixon are strong contenders if the H stays D and there is a blue wave but in Rassy tracking Biden is tracking the same as he was in Election night and some polls have him at 58
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »

He never stops

D's are gonna continue to control Senate because we are gonna win WI and PA and Ryan, Beasley and Nixon are strong contenders if the H stays D and there is a blue wave but in Rassy tracking Biden is tracking the same as he was in Election night and some polls have him at 58

If that's true then it doesn't matter that he's not retiring now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies