Will Eric Adams be a better mayor than Bill DeBlasio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 04:59:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Eric Adams be a better mayor than Bill DeBlasio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Eric Adams be a better mayor than Bill DeBlasio?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Will Eric Adams be a better mayor than Bill DeBlasio?  (Read 1619 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »

As insanely low as that bar is to pass....no.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »

Easily yes.  Bill DeBlasio is a blithering idiot.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 11:28:41 AM »

Yes. Eric Adams is a corrupt weirdo with a few dozen bigot skeletons in his closet, but he doesn't hate New York City.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 11:30:00 AM »

Probably
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »

It's quite unfortunate about the Yang Gang Train.   Sad

Anyway, I had zero idea on who this Eric Adams guy was until I read his bio this morning.   Gets beat up by cops...and later becomes a career copper?   Can't quite put my finger on it, but this whole story just seems....off.    I would not be surprised in the least if "stories" come out about his time in the NYPD. 

And that's all I have to say about that.   

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 03:25:14 PM »

Admittedly I don't follow NYC politics much....but didn't DeBlasio create a universal Pre-K program? I'm genuinely unsure of why he's so mocked. Genuinely would like to know
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »

Anyway, I had zero idea on who this Eric Adams guy was until I read his bio this morning.   Gets beat up by cops...and later becomes a career copper?   Can't quite put my finger on it, but this whole story just seems....off.    I would not be surprised in the least if "stories" come out about his time in the NYPD. 

Andrew Yang ironically had a lot of support in the MAGA movement in 2019, so I was wary about him in this election. Eric Adams is ok on non police issues and could be a formidable Democratic Presidential nominee. 
Motorcity

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 12:51:50 AM »

Andrew Yang ironically had a lot of support in the MAGA movement in 2019, so I was wary about him in this election. Eric Adams is ok on non police issues and could be a formidable Democratic Presidential nominee. 
Andrew Yang never realized he was running in the Democratic Primary, he acted like he was running in the general election

His original platform called for slashing welfare and cutting thousands of good paying government jobs. UBI would replace welfare and cutting the federal workforce would make the government more "efficent"

This was very toxic, hence it being quickly removed from his campaign website. Many people hear "cutting welfare" as conservative talking points to hurt poor people. Never mind that some truly needy people get more than a thousand a month.

Also, goverment emplyees might be the last good jobs left with pensions and vacation time. And they are unionized and vote Democrat.

Yang proved to be an idiot when he didn't meet the requirments to be in one of the primary debates and went to the media to DEMAND he be allowed to debate.

Finally, he runs for mayor. He has never voted for NYC mayor once in his life. Failed to name several city departments. Trash talks food carts!

Its clear that Yang is similar to Trump. They both see our electoral and democratic process as a forum to vent their political views but not put in the effort to be an actual leader for real people like me and you
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 01:13:47 AM »

Bill DeBlasio wasn't all that bad as mayor, and Eric Adams isn't likely to be all that bad either.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 09:56:36 PM »

Not at all
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 10:38:35 PM »

Admittedly I don't follow NYC politics much....but didn't DeBlasio create a universal Pre-K program? I'm genuinely unsure of why he's so mocked. Genuinely would like to know

He did have some good policies but he was generally an ineffective joke who managed to piss off all sides. A lot of his progressive stances were poorly implemented (see how long it took to get rid of stop and frisk), and was hardly at the forefront in many cases, he still opposed marijuana legalization as late as 2019 when he basically just caved to pressure from the party. He's usually not actively malicious, just a complete pushover for people who are.
Babeuf

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »

No chance, DeBlasio was generally fine (and easily the best mayor since Dinkins, although not much competition there) except for his cowardice in the face of the cops last summer during the protests.

Many of his failures can be laid at the feet of Cuomo and Cuomo's vendetta against him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 10:49:20 PM »

lol no:

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/eric-adams-nyc-mayor/

Though activists eventually soured on de Blasio, dismissing him as too deferential to police and real estate, he remained - however ineffectually - sympathetic to their goals and never sought to foil nascent left movements in his city. De Blasio was never going to whip unions against DSA candidates or attack the WFP; in fact, he was one of the very first candidates both groups ever endorsed.

Conversely, Adams will be able to effectively ignore most demands made from progressives. If he wins, he will owe them nothing, having assembled his own traditional and durable coalition. De Blasio, once an activist politician himself, felt pressure from the left quite directly, and often had to take into account their demands in order to position himself for the national spotlight he so craved. Adams has no plausible presidential aspirations. For his supporters and backers, this is a plus. For everyone else, it will be a very long four to eight years. If progressives can't have their candidate in Gracie Mansion - maybe Maya Wiley wins, maybe she doesn't - they can at least hope for someone who can be bent and pressured, forced to take movement demands into account. Adams is not that politician, and never will be.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 10:55:42 PM »

lol no:

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/eric-adams-nyc-mayor/

Though activists eventually soured on de Blasio, dismissing him as too deferential to police and real estate, he remained - however ineffectually - sympathetic to their goals and never sought to foil nascent left movements in his city. De Blasio was never going to whip unions against DSA candidates or attack the WFP; in fact, he was one of the very first candidates both groups ever endorsed.

Conversely, Adams will be able to effectively ignore most demands made from progressives. If he wins, he will owe them nothing, having assembled his own traditional and durable coalition. De Blasio, once an activist politician himself, felt pressure from the left quite directly, and often had to take into account their demands in order to position himself for the national spotlight he so craved. Adams has no plausible presidential aspirations. For his supporters and backers, this is a plus. For everyone else, it will be a very long four to eight years. If progressives can't have their candidate in Gracie Mansion - maybe Maya Wiley wins, maybe she doesn't - they can at least hope for someone who can be bent and pressured, forced to take movement demands into account. Adams is not that politician, and never will be.
This honestly sounds good, somebody needs to be able to tell the NIMBY's to  off and many progressive groups are just fronts for NIMBY's.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »

It will be the same as before unless we are entirely out of Covid

Trump had the justification as the reason why Biden is failing as a Prez yesterday at the rally, Unemployment is being used as UBI and we are still in a PANDEMIC and he wants to continue to oil drill and keep giving giant tax breaks for the rich.

The reason why job orders aren't being filled is because they are blue collar not white collar jobs and high risk of catching Covid

The country, unless Covid is Eradicated is still gonna be in trouble no matter whom in office, and Congress is ignoring the fact we need a fourth stimulus, not Unemployment benefits but more stimulus checks, Covid is in its 16th mnth
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »

I unironically think De Blaz was a relatively good mayor. The only reason people hate him is that NYC hipsters and elites dominate the media, and they would never do anything as cringe as support the incumbent mayor.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 09:44:09 AM »

Makes sense to me: he wanted to reform an organization from within, and in general black voters associate him with that cause.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 08:13:39 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 09:50:03 PM by Southern Senator Spark »

Absolutely, NYC needs somebody with common sense on police reform who knows how to get the job done.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »

Absolutely, NYC needs somebody with common sense who knows how to get the job done.

Since when is envisioning permanent Zoom schooling with 300-400 students to a teacher "common sense"?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »

I unironically think De Blaz was a relatively good mayor. The only reason people hate him is that NYC hipsters and elites dominate the media, and they would never do anything as cringe as support the incumbent mayor.

I have long said this.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »

No
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »

unlikely
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 09:50:22 PM »

Absolutely, NYC needs somebody with common sense who knows how to get the job done.

Since when is envisioning permanent Zoom schooling with 300-400 students to a teacher "common sense"?

Talking about criminal justice issues.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »

Aside from simply being the Mayor, he's been perceived to be hostile to East/Southeast Asians through his attempts to get rid of the SHSAT (entrance exam for magnet high schools) and being perceived to be indifferent to the plight of Chinatown small business owners during the COVID-19 lockdown/downturn.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies