Kyrsten Sinema reiterates support for the filibuster...again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 12:18:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kyrsten Sinema reiterates support for the filibuster...again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Kyrsten Sinema reiterates support for the filibuster...again  (Read 1526 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2021, 11:55:48 AM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

Pain. Just pain.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:50 PM »

Once again, I find it rather rich that someone who wears costume wigs to the United States Senate is so big on old tradition.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »

If American voters want wild swings between the opposing party poles, that's what they should get.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 10:43:41 PM by TheTarHeelGent »

One of the only sane Senate Democrats. More and more Democrats in Congress should strive to be more akin to her.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 10:42:19 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 10:45:22 PM by LVScreenssuck »

So does she just get jealous when she thinks people are talking too much about Joe Manchin?
'Hey look, I'm morally and intellectually bankrupt too'

Also, this is just insulting

Everyday Arizonans are focused on questions that matter most in their daily lives.

Is my job secure? Can I expand my business? Can we afford college? What about health care? When can I retire? Is my community safe?

Meanwhile, much of Washington’s focus is on a Senate rule requiring 60 votes to advance most legislation.

Do you think it's because that Senate rule is preventing you from doing anything about that?
Motorcity

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 10:45:04 PM »

Once again, I find it rather rich that someone who wears costume wigs to the United States Senate is so big on old tradition.
Imagine saying in 2016 the first bi democratic senator, one critical to winning back the majority, was doing everything in her power to maintain McConnel's power
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:46:21 PM »

Imagine saying in 2016 the first bi democratic senator, one critical to winning back the majority, was doing everything in her power to maintain McConnel's power
I mean, anyone even slightly familiar with her career up to that point would have told you so.
But people didn't want to hear it because look she's bi and wears wigs and pretty dresses.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 01:18:42 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 01:24:53 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

We don't know what those conversations hold, with Biden and Sinema

But she is a blue dog and so is Manchin, Pryor, Landrieu, Jay Rockefeller, Dorgan, Conrad, Byrd all lobbied against Merkley, Harkin, and Udalls proposal to nuke the Filibuster in 2009 when DC Statehood came up for a vote in 2009

Of course, D's used the Filibuster and the Judiciary Filibuster, they were gonna use it on Alito in 2006 but Frist threatened to nuke the Filibuster

She is wrong in this respect, if D's secure a Solid Trifecta, there won't be a GOP Majority with DC Statehood anytime soon
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 01:20:13 AM »

If American voters want wild swings between the opposing party poles, that's what they should get.

D's used the Filibuster before and was about to Filibuster Alito before Frist threatened to nuke the Filibuster and D's allowed him to pass, I support DC statehood but let's be real here, D's used it roo
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 01:22:41 AM »

Sinema isn't wrong, if you take the long view and think beyond the next 2 years.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 01:26:10 AM »

If D's secure DC Statehood and Voting Rights there won't be an R Majority anytime soon, that's why we want the people's Act, she is wrong

She is against the Filibuster because future Congresses can overturn them, lol the Rs haven't won the NPVI since 2016
Yoda
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 01:41:11 AM »

If it weren't so important that Katie Hobbs win the governorship of AZ next year, I'd much prefer she run against Sinema in her next primary. No other dem could possibly hold the WV seat that Manchin occupies; this is not the case with Sinema in AZ.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 02:07:31 AM »

Sinema isn't wrong, if you take the long view and think beyond the next 2 years.

Sinema seems to have experienced an astonishing fall from grace on this forum over the past several months. Many of the posters now harshly condemning her had a much more positive opinion of her prior to Biden taking office. Progressives in general also are greatly upset with her now.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 02:13:38 AM »

Sinema seems to have experienced an astonishing fall from grace on this forum over the past several months. Many of the posters now harshly condemning her had a much more positive opinion of her prior to Biden taking office. Progressives in general also are greatly upset with her now.
Sinema is lucky this forum isn't the broader electorate.
There is a strong sense of urgency that you see from Dems, as they feel this is the only trifecta they'll have this entire decade, so naturally those who aren't on board 100% with changing rules to maximize usage of that trifecta and/or want to think long-term are seen in sort of a Judas Iscariot type of way.
Personally I expect the electorate to reward Sinema for her actions but no one can speak with 100% confidence on the issue, either way, until 2024.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 05:23:17 AM »

Wouldn't that be appropriate?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 06:27:26 AM »

Tharw why we need to ensure next Nov we get 53 or more seats donate to Ryan, Jackson, Beasley, Nelson, Fetterman, Demings, Grayson, Gross and House Members

The D's have Act blue and can certainly win next Nov, without Voting rights, the Rs aren't gonna get 20 seats out of FL and TX no matter how much fraud a judge can come up with in TX

This is a temporary setback, but Biden was Veep and Prez of Senate race n 2009/ allowed Dixiecrats Byrd, Rockefeller, Pryor and Landrieu talk Obama into not getting rid of Fillibuster over DC Statehood, that's why we are in this bind

I supported the nuking of Filibuster over DC Statehood back then, not on immigration reform
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:29 AM »

Remind me, how many times did the Democrats use the Filibuster when the Senate/WH was in GOP hands? 

And as stated upthread, this forum is not the broader political electorate.  Nowhere near so.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »

It’s great that in time were Republicans are becoming openly fascist that Sinema thinks keeping the filibuster in place is of such importance 🙄
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 06:47:17 AM »

Remind me, how many times did the Democrats use the Filibuster when the Senate/WH was in GOP hands? 

And as stated upthread, this forum is not the broader political electorate.  Nowhere near so.

0 on things McConnell truly wanted. In fact the one thing he did truly want that was subject to the filibuster (SC judges), he went nuclear with no debate or fanfare.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 06:57:50 AM »

That's because she's smart. She's thinking about the long term, instead of power-grabbing her party's way to victory only for it to be overturned later when Republicans benefit from no filibustering. This makes her very difficult to beat in 2024, that is if she survives a primary challenge...
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 07:05:34 AM »

I guess that means she's a conservative.  No difference between her and Ted Cruz.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 07:15:09 AM »

0 on things McConnell truly wanted. In fact the one thing he did truly want that was subject to the filibuster (SC judges), he went nuclear with no debate or fanfare.
I want to remind you that D filibustered Miguel Estrada SEVEN times for a DC circuit nomination, whom Kagan would support for a SC justice position, simply because they want to avoid him becoming the first Latino justice nominated by R.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 07:27:42 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 09:07:33 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

That's because she's smart. She's thinking about the long term, instead of power-grabbing her party's way to victory only for it to be overturned later when Republicans benefit from no filibustering. This makes her very difficult to beat in 2024, that is if she survives a primary challenge...
What long term? The Republican Party is openly embracing the idea of overturning elections if they aren’t happy with the result and the only thing that would make them reconsider and be bipartisan is if the Republicans feel they won’t win if they don’t which can’t happen unless partisan gerrymandering is nuked and DC gets to be a state both of which can’t happen with the filibuster in place. So no if anything keeping the filibuster is the opposite of thinking long term
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 07:28:19 AM »

Sinema is lucky this forum isn't the broader electorate.
There is a strong sense of urgency that you see from Dems, as they feel this is the only trifecta they'll have this entire decade

Which, given how rare it is for either party to hold the trifecta, is the assumption you should be operating under
I guess that means she's a conservative.  No difference between her and Ted Cruz.
Both are votes to give Mitch McConnell unchecked reign over the Senate, so for all intents and purposes, yes
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if she switched parties.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies