Kyrsten Sinema reiterates support for the filibuster...again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:11:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kyrsten Sinema reiterates support for the filibuster...again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Kyrsten Sinema reiterates support for the filibuster...again  (Read 1451 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2021, 05:43:05 AM »

Good opinion article by the Queen.

Opinion: Kyrsten Sinema: We have more to lose than gain by ending the filibuster
My support for retaining the 60-vote threshold is not based on the importance of any particular policy. It is based on what is best for our democracy. The filibuster compels moderation and helps protect the country from wild swings between opposing policy poles.

To those who want to eliminate the legislative filibuster to pass the For the People Act (voting-rights legislation I support and have co-sponsored), I would ask: Would it be good for our country if we did, only to see that legislation rescinded a few years from now and replaced by a nationwide voter-ID law or restrictions on voting by mail in federal elections, over the objections of the minority?

Good point.

Good-faith arguments have been made both criticizing and defending the Senate’s 60-vote threshold. I share the belief expressed in 2017 by 31 Senate Democrats opposing elimination of the filibuster — a belief shared by President Biden. While I am confident that several senators in my party still share that belief, the Senate has not held a debate on the matter.

And here she highlights the hypocrisy of Democrats. Democrats love to lie about how bad filibuster is for the democracy or how it hurts them much more than GOP, because "muh ackchyually GOP doesn't have any agenda, but obstructionism and judges". Yet, when Trump wanted to get rid of filibuster, Dems defended it.
Sinema showing once again she has more sense on this issue than most Very Online left-of-center folks on the internet.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2021, 05:49:01 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/texas-gov-greg-abbott-calls-083402579.html

Greg Abbott is calling a special session and Voting Suppression is gonna be on the Agenda, the D's in TX are out of options

If this bill passed, the only real restrictions are Judges tossing out D Congressional Districts based on fraud, and Garland Justice Dept can assist D's that they won in Crt 60 Crt cases trying to overturn Biden Election due to fact that's where the H is gonna be won or lost in Cali and TX

Beto said Abbott is probably gonna run unopposed if Voter Suppression is allowed, he doesn't want to run against Abbott with Voter Suppression
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2021, 07:50:23 AM »

Sinema isn't wrong, if you take the long view and think beyond the next 2 years.
Elections have consequences. That's how democracies are supposed to work. What's the point of passing any bills then if they can be reversed in the future? Why even do anything then?

That's just a stupid excuse for not getting rid of the filibuster. It doesn't hold any weight.
Elections has consequences does not mean "the opposition party should have 0 voice in decision making whatsoever". To think such is to adopt a profoundly stupid and unnatural perspective in regards to governance. Compromise is on some level an absolutely essential part of how governance works.

Admittedly, yes, killing the filibuster is by no means the perfect solution to the problem at hand. However, we're in a time where both parties are pretty much refusing to really compromise on any major legislation. Sinema might think she's doing good by thinking beyond two years but has she really considered when there'll be a time when bipartisanship will return? Considering all that's happened in this past decade it looks unlikely to most that it'll return in the foreseeable future.

Also, one has to admit that the 60-vote rule is a pretty big mountain to climb. Sure the Republicans are favored in the Senate, but even then it's pretty difficult for me to see them actually reach that threshold with or without Democrats. If not kill the filibuster, then at least reform it in a way that makes it more feasible for something to get done.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »

The solution to tyranny of the majority is not to introduce a tyranny of the minority
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »

I totally accept the fear that McConnell could abuse the lack of a filibuster again if (or when...) he ever becomes Majority Leader again. For that reason i used to support the filibuster being maintained too. But then January 6 happened and the Republican Party began making excuses for it, trying to forget about it, or lying about while simultaneously eroding the concept of fair and free elections in the states they control. Now Democrats have to act to save the country. Sure, the possibility of the GOP taking over again obviously exists, but if voting rights are better protected and other actions like DC and Puerto Rico becoming states are taken, then it makes it a more fair fight for the Senate, and one that the GOP may not be able to win. Call it a "power grab" if you like, but the Democratic Party, for all its flaws, has demonstrated that it is the only good faith means of preventing our descent into autocratic authoritarianism. The GOP needs to lose significantly for them to have even a chance of changing for the better. 2020 was supposed to be the time for that to happen, and it didn't. So why shouldn't we have better standards for our elections now?

Hell, it isn't just that but also changing or getting rid of the filibuster to get make major policy goals come to fruition like raising the minimum wage, a public option, police reform, etc.-popular policies that Democrats may even get an electoral boost of if they finally show the American people how successful Democratic majorities can be at governing.

All in all though, I still think that the Senate itself is what really needs to go. But obviously that is even less likely than the filibuster being altered.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »

All in all though, I still think that the Senate itself is what really needs to go. But obviously that is even less likely than the filibuster being altered.

Hey, you just have to convince 67 Senators and 38 state legislatures.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »

She frustrates me to no end. I disagree with Manchin but I think his views from a genuine place and he's a political unicorn. She's a cynical hack in a much easier state and could be replaced by any generic D.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »

If the Republicans like the filibuster so much, they should restore it next time they win. But for now Democrats should abolish it.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2021, 10:04:00 PM »

Don’t forget Brnovich v. DNC, which could end her career if the filibuster stays.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies