January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:58:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 149
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 135908 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2021, 04:16:07 PM »

Video: See (hear) what Liz Cheney had to say about McCarthy's decision to pull all Republicans from the select committee.

https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/07/21/liz-cheney-kevin-mccarthy-capitol-riot-committee-vpx.cnn
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2021, 04:35:00 PM »

Video: See (hear) what Liz Cheney had to say about McCarthy's decision to pull all Republicans from the select committee.

https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/07/21/liz-cheney-kevin-mccarthy-capitol-riot-committee-vpx.cnn

Well Liz not only burned her bridge to the Pub party, and her political career in Wyoming as a Pub, but now she demolished the underwater pilings that had held up the bridge, leaving no trace but memories. I like her all too rare style. Some things are more important than others.
Thanks PM2 for taking the time to put it up.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »

People who keep throwing out that MLK quote out of context (there is absolutely no way anyone literate who reads his whole statement could conclude he was justifying rioting) on any side are the absolute worst.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »

New video shows former Special Forces stabbing officer with American flagpole.

This guy can still be court-martialed right? Time to alsonstrip him of his pension, VA benefits and any medals or honors he received.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2021, 05:23:55 PM »

New video shows former Special Forces stabbing officer with American flagpole.

This guy can still be court-martialed right? Time to alsonstrip him of his pension, VA benefits and any medals or honors he received.

I'm still amazed officers did not use more force (lethal), to protect themselves from a bunch of trump-supporting, insurrectionist idiots.
Think about it ... we see videos of officers shooting people for doing something that is equivalent to something like 10%/25% of a threat, than what these f***ers were doing on Jan 6th.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »

I don't think it's been noted on here, but Pelosi vetoed Jordan and Banks.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2021, 06:33:56 PM »

Bush-Cheney, Biden-Harris. I'm glad that we've moved from blurring the lines to just admitting they don't exist. Just remember: they hate you.
F**k off seriously. Anyone comparing 2000 to 2020 is either a dumbass, a jackass or both
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2021, 06:37:44 PM »

Bush-Cheney, Biden-Harris. I'm glad that we've moved from blurring the lines to just admitting they don't exist. Just remember: they hate you.

Yes, yes, all politicians are evil and hate us besides Trump. Somehow he's different. We get it. Your charade isn't fooling anyone.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »

Yes, yes, all politicians are evil and hate us besides Trump. Somehow he's different. We get it. Your charade isn't fooling anyone.
Trump isn't different, he's a coward after abandoning his supporters on 1/6 and letting the Secret Service and Michael T Pence whisk him back to the oval office. People shouldn't place faith in men, or they'll be let down time and time again. I don't want to have to vote for that coward again.

So if he'd been in the crowd beating up cops with his supporters you'd still like him?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2021, 06:53:20 PM »

So if he'd been in the crowd beating up cops with his supporters you'd still like him?
No, if he marched to the Capitol, said his piece, and those gathered pressured the certification to be delayed for a day (remember - Bannon, Cruz and Hawley just wanted a day for floor debate) while remaining outside of the building, it becomes one of the great moments in American history.

Instead he let things get out of control in his absence and bears responsibility.

There was no good reason to delay the certification. He lost.

What do you mean by pressure? You wanted the crowd to threaten Congress with violence? That's pretty sick.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2021, 06:54:39 PM »

No, if he marched to the Capitol, said his piece, and those gathered pressured the certification to be delayed for a day (remember - Bannon, Cruz and Hawley just wanted a day for floor debate) while remaining outside of the building, it becomes one of the great moments in American history.

Instead he let things get out of control in his absence and bears responsibility.

What do you mean by pressure? You wanted the crowd to threaten Congress with violence? That's pretty sick.
He’s a transparent fascist
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »

Any election in which the tipping point is <1% warrants scrutiny. The changes in voting laws in an election (even if some of them I ultimately support - since enfranchising more voters is good) were suspect.

For the record, I think certification should have been delayed in 2016 too, even if I don't believe it was a corrupt outcome (like 1960 and 2020; 2000 I believe was outright incorrect).

So all of the lawsuits, recounts etc. weren't enough for you? 1-90(?) in court, unanimous rejection by SCOTUS etc?

Also, another day of floor debate would not have changed a single vote, it would only have postponed the inevitable. Unless of course your definition of "pressure" includes violence which I'm beginning to think it might...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2021, 07:08:20 PM »

Politicians aren't gods. Bernie had a similar line which was part of why I voted for, volunteered for, and donated to him in 2016. He spoke constantly about the need for millions and millions of people to march to DC and force Congress to pass his agenda. Bernie, like Trump, eventually exposed himself as a coward

No one claimed politicians were gods, stop straw manning and answer the question.

How would you have liked Trump and the crowd to "pressure" Congress?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »

Politicians aren't gods. Bernie had a similar line which was part of why I voted for, volunteered for, and donated to him in 2016. He spoke constantly about the need for millions and millions of people to march to DC and force Congress to pass his agenda. Bernie, like Trump, eventually exposed himself as a coward

If everybody is a fascist, nobody is, and words lose meaning.
So all of the lawsuits, recounts etc. weren't enough for you? 1-90(?) in court, unanimous rejection by SCOTUS etc?

Also, another day of floor debate would not have changed a single vote, it would only have postponed the inevitable. Unless of course your definition of "pressure" includes violence which I'm beginning to think it might...
Lawsuits and recounts? The lawfare game is a losing one. If a system is broken, the only way to expose it is by airing it for the public to see.

The Republican party of 1980-2014 was garbage because it sold its soul to the Federalist Society. That's why "mah courts" was always a tired refrain. If Ford wins in 76 and America never makes the Reagan Mistake we are much better off today. Obama and Trump (even if both ended up cowards and sold out) were reactions to Reagan's neoliberalism.
Not everyone is fascist. Just people like you who wanted Trump to become a dictator and wanted it achieved via violence as you clearly hint at throughout
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:06 PM »

low info voter sounds a lot like someone who was actually at the Capitol creating chaos on January 6th.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2021, 07:21:43 PM »

No one claimed politicians were gods, stop straw manning and answer the question.

What I was hoping would happen:

(1) Trump marches to the Capitol building (even if Michael T Pence and the Secret Service don't whisk him to the Capitol, maybe Trump's too fat to make it there) at the head of the pack
(2) He stands on the steps of Capitol building and gives the best damn speech he has given. Speak about the terrorism neoliberal globalists have committed against this country. Speak hard truths about how corrupt not only the democrats are, but speak out against McConnell and his ilk.
(3) On the inside, Trump's allies will push forward with their evidence for each of the six states the Trump campaign targeted: MI, WI, PA, NV, GA, AZ. Note - I don't think there is any case that Trump won MI/WI/NV/AZ, so this just gets him to 268 (and that is a long shot too). However the debate would have gone deep into the night based on time allowances.
(4) Late at night, around 2 or 3 AM I believe (unless the session convened), all options are exhausted, Biden is certified, and Trump announces he has exhausted all avenues. At this point he lets the crowd know to keep fighting, and never to give up their fight against the corrupt establishment.
(5) Trump goes out as a warrior, instead of as a defeated coward. Doesn't need to run again, but at least he can argue that he and his voters did their best against questionable voter laws and foreign interference.

Go get some psychological help ... immediately!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »

What I was hoping would happen:

(1) Trump marches to the Capitol building (even if Michael T Pence and the Secret Service don't whisk him to the Capitol, maybe Trump's too fat to make it there) at the head of the pack
(2) He stands on the steps of Capitol building and gives the best damn speech he has given. Speak about the terrorism neoliberal globalists have committed against this country. Speak hard truths about how corrupt not only the democrats are, but speak out against McConnell and his ilk.
(3) On the inside, Trump's allies will push forward with their evidence for each of the six states the Trump campaign targeted: MI, WI, PA, NV, GA, AZ. Note - I don't think there is any case that Trump won MI/WI/NV/AZ, so this just gets him to 268 (and that is a long shot too). However the debate would have gone deep into the night based on time allowances.
(4) Late at night, around 2 or 3 AM I believe (unless the session convened), all options are exhausted, Biden is certified, and Trump announces he has exhausted all avenues. At this point he lets the crowd know to keep fighting, and never to give up their fight against the corrupt establishment.
(5) Trump goes out as a warrior, instead of as a defeated coward. Doesn't need to run again, but at least he can argue that he and his voters did their best against questionable voter laws and foreign interference.

This would require Trump to literally be a completely different person, and other than trade his policies were pretty standard GOP.

But at least you've finally realized he's a coward.. Not sure how it took you five years though, it was evident to me from jump.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2021, 07:28:21 PM »

Sorry if someone answered this question, but can Trump legally be subpoened to appear in front of the committee and grilled Hillary Clinton-style for hours on end, even if he just pleads the Fifth to everything?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2021, 07:35:00 PM »

You are late. It's been posted/discussed.
Page 4, Reply #81.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »

Sorry if someone answered this question, but can Trump legally be subpoened to appear in front of the committee and grilled Hillary Clinton-style for hours on end, even if he just pleads the Fifth to everything?

He can certainly be subpoenaed.  What I don't know (hopefully someone here does) is what power a Congressional committee has to enforce a subpoena if the witness refuses to show up.

ETA: I strongly doubt that Trump is psychologically capable of shutting up and taking the Fifth even if advised to do so by his lawyers.  He'd be unable to resist trying to justify/defend himself.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »

You are late. It's been posted/discussed.
Page 4, Reply #81.

I missed that post. But they didn't include a source, which I have. It's definitive now, and seems to have been a rumor earlier.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2021, 07:53:57 PM »

He can certainly be subpoenaed.  What I don't know (hopefully someone here does) is what power a Congressional committee has to enforce a subpoena if the witness refuses to show up.

ETA: I strongly doubt that Trump is psychologically capable of shutting up and taking the Fifth even if advised to do so by his lawyers.  He'd be unable to resist trying to justify/defend himself.

I completely agree with this.
That's why I hope they can get him in the hot seat. He has no control ... zero ... he will talk and make a complete Jacka$$ out of himself, and his cult followers.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2021, 07:54:10 PM »

Being someone who is vehemently anti-trump and anti far-right, as bad as Jan6 was for our country, there are a dozen other issues I wish Congress would focus on. I would hazard a guess that most other Americans feel the same. We all know this is going to go nowhere. It’ll be a waste of money and it’ll just give more ammo to Republicans so they can say “do nothing Democrats” again.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »

Being someone who is vehemently anti-trump and anti far-right, as bad as Jan6 was for our country, there are a dozen other issues I wish Congress would focus on. I would hazard a guess that most other Americans feel the same. We all know this is going to go nowhere. It’ll be a waste of money and it’ll just give more ammo to Republicans so they can say “do nothing Democrats” again.

It may convince some of the more reasonable Republicans (maybe you are one of them), to not vote for the Lunatic, Nutjob GOP candidates in 2022.
America can not have them in control of either chamber.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 149  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies