January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 06:50:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 152
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 148570 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2400 on: July 29, 2023, 03:37:33 PM »

"the racist DA in crime ridden Atlanta"

That's nice.
I can't wait to see his ass in jail. I will laugh forever.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2401 on: July 30, 2023, 08:40:03 AM »

I guess Trump agrees with me that unlike potentially the classified documents case, it will be hard to delay a Jan 6 trial until after the election, and a DC jury will probably convict him. He's worried.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2402 on: July 30, 2023, 08:49:22 AM »

"the racist DA in crime ridden Atlanta"

That's nice.
I can't wait to see his ass in jail. I will laugh forever.

If he does end up in jail, his actions will have contributed to Atlanta's crime rate.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2403 on: July 30, 2023, 09:46:24 AM »

I guess Trump agrees with me that unlike potentially the classified documents case, it will be hard to delay a Jan 6 trial until after the election, and a DC jury will probably convict him. He's worried.
This is precisely the reason why Special Counsel Jack Smith is pursuing the J6 Charges! Smith knows that if the D. C. Grand Jury indicts Trump the case will likely be fast tracked.

And if convicted we could face a scenario where Trump will be booted off the POTUS Ballot for the GE and you basically have to vote for the VP Candidate who becomes the POTUS Candidate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2404 on: July 30, 2023, 09:51:31 AM »

This is precisely the reason why Special Counsel Jack Smith is pursuing the J6 Charges! Smith knows that if the D. C. Grand Jury indicts Trump the case will likely be fast tracked.

And if convicted we could face a scenario where Trump will be booted off the POTUS Ballot for the GE and you basically have to vote for the VP Candidate who becomes the POTUS Candidate.

If all that happens, I will perhaps need to reconsider my atheism.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2405 on: July 30, 2023, 11:00:34 AM »

All on tape and Trump will PAY for it
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2406 on: July 30, 2023, 01:06:58 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree that Trump should be disqualified via the 14th amendment if convicted, but I do think you are wildly overestimating the chance of that actually happening in reality. If he's convicted in the January 6th case, 95% chance or higher that he remains on the ballot.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2407 on: July 30, 2023, 05:09:11 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree that Trump should be disqualified via the 14th amendment if convicted, but I do think you are wildly overestimating the chance of that actually happening in reality. If he's convicted in the January 6th case, 95% chance or higher that he remains on the ballot.
Donald Trump is disqualified from being on the Presidential Ballot given what he did on January 6th 2021.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2408 on: July 30, 2023, 05:44:16 PM »

Donald Trump is disqualified from being on the Presidential Ballot given what he did on January 6th 2021.

Again, not disputing that on paper, but you would need actual state elections officials to refuse to allow him onto the ballot, and then those decisions would inevitably end up going to court and you would need to win the court cases and the inevitable appeals, up to and including a very Republican Supreme Court that Trump appointed three members of. I don't see that as likely as a practical matter.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2409 on: July 30, 2023, 08:30:40 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2023, 08:35:49 PM by 2016 »

Again, not disputing that on paper, but you would need actual state elections officials to refuse to allow him onto the ballot, and then those decisions would inevitably end up going to court and you would need to win the court cases and the inevitable appeals, up to and including a very Republican Supreme Court that Trump appointed three members of. I don't see that as likely as a practical matter.
Trumps Legal Team are already saying that Trump will have to fight for Ballot Access. Trump may not be booted entirely but if he gets booted off the Michigan Ballot (where they have a D Governor, AG and Secretary of State) and in Arizona (they also have a D Governor, AG and SoS) that's enough.

If they can strip him of enough Battleground States he is done.

It also depends on the charges Special Counsel Jack Smith brings. If Smith brings charges on Rule 18, Section 2382 which is inciting Insurrection and Trump gets convicted of that he is FINISHED.

§ 2383. Rebellion or insurrection
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against
the authority of the United States or the laws
thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be
fined under this title or imprisoned not more
than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of
holding any office under the United States.

https://statecodesfiles.justia.com/us/2014/title-18/part-i/chapter-115/sec.-2383/sec.-2383.pdf

The Code of the US Constitution is pretty clear here. I dunno how Trump will get around this if he indeed gets charged on J6!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2410 on: July 30, 2023, 08:35:05 PM »

Trumps Legal Team are already saying that Trump will have to fight for Ballot Access.

Yeah, of course they're saying that. They need to trick gullible rubes into donating to Trump's legal fund so they can get a big fat paycheck.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2411 on: July 30, 2023, 08:41:30 PM »

So far there has been only one person disqualified from holding office based on January 6: Couy Griffin in New Mexico.

However Griffin was actually convicted. We would likely need a conviction of Trump to also bar him.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2412 on: July 30, 2023, 08:45:25 PM »

Trump has a huge problem if he faces charges on J6. All his Lawyers can do is delay but they won't be successful.

Section 2383 is pretty clear.

Trump is f'd up royally here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2413 on: July 31, 2023, 07:44:39 AM »

The celebration that Trump could be barred from being POTUS again if convicted under that statute might be premature. I have not fully digested the tome yet to be able to form a competent opinion of my own, but the interplay of the various applicable provision and the legislative history is complex.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/02/18/if-donald-trump-is-convicted-of-violating-18-u-s-c-%C2%A7-2383-will-he-be-disqualified-from-serving-as-president/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2414 on: July 31, 2023, 06:49:49 PM »

This is interesting.  As has been previously reported, there are two grand jury panels in the current Fulton County Superior Court term.  Apparently Fani Willis is presenting testimony to both of them; the story below implies that the same witness has been subpoenaed to both panels.  It also strongly suggests that Willis is going after the fake elector scheme.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/breaking-journalist-who-observed-gop-electors-subpoenaed-in-fulton-trump-case/5YEH4S4X6BCEPM4PBQYDSWTLGE/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2415 on: July 31, 2023, 07:32:16 PM »

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2416 on: August 01, 2023, 01:38:26 PM »

Possible indictment could be incoming today.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2417 on: August 01, 2023, 01:51:48 PM »

Will such an indictment lead to an arrest?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2418 on: August 01, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »

Will such an indictment lead to an arrest?

There will be a technical arrest but it will just be him turning himself in for his arraignment and then being released on bond.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2419 on: August 01, 2023, 02:17:49 PM »

You only need the foreperson to hand up an indictment by the way, so I think that tweet means it's happening.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2420 on: August 01, 2023, 02:27:54 PM »

Possible indictment could be incoming today.
If the Jury Foreperson is still there Indictment could potentially be coming today. We shall see!
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2421 on: August 01, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »

A reporter on MSNBC tv news said that he "couldn't talk about some things" which makes it sound possible that media may have gotten a heads up. And said there was media there which was expecting news.

If it happens and is announced today, it will probably be within the next 2-3 hours in any case.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2422 on: August 01, 2023, 03:33:07 PM »

A reporter on MSNBC tv news said that he "couldn't talk about some things" which makes it sound possible that media may have gotten a heads up. And said there was media there which was expecting news.

If it happens and is announced today, it will probably be within the next 2-3 hours in any case.
If it's going to be announced today it definitly will be before the Cable Channels tap into their Prime Time Programme!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2423 on: August 01, 2023, 03:36:16 PM »

Don't forget that even if an indictment is returned today, it might be filed under seal and won't be announced until later.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #2424 on: August 01, 2023, 03:47:32 PM »

Trump says he's being indicted at 5EST. Take it for what you will.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies