January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:21:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 149
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 135838 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »

All of the offenses boil down at the least to burglary (going into a place in which one is unauthorized and for which one has no compelling excuse, such as escaping a violent crime or a severe storm).
You are describing trespassing, not burglary. You do not burglarize a building merely through unauthorized entry. Burglary requires intent to commit a separate crime within.

Although his description does match trespassing, burglary would indeed apply to those rioters who entered the Capitol; at a minimum they intended to commit obstruction of Congress, which is a federal crime.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2021, 08:27:02 PM »

This is potentially significant as it could lead to investigators getting closer to those who were plotting ahead of time to organize an attack.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2021, 06:03:07 AM »

So an off-duty DEA agent carried his government issued gun to the riot.

An off-duty special agent for the Drug Enforcement Agency carried his government-issued firearm while attending the January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, according to court documents unsealed Tuesday. Prosecutors say he posed for pictures while flashing his DEA badge and climbed onto the Peace Monument to film himself as he delivered a "monologue."

Mark Ibrahim, of Orange County, California, was arrested Tuesday and charged with four crimes that include making a false statement and carrying a firearm on restricted grounds.

Court documents said Ibrahim entered restricted grounds outside the U.S. Capitol shortly after they'd been breached by the mob, and posted a photo standing next to one of the metal barricades that had recently been pulled apart. Prosecutors also said he sent photos of himself at the Capitol to a group chat on WhatsApp that included at least five other law enforcement officers.

One of the officers participating in the chat wrote, "Question Mark, you are carrying your duty weapon and your badge/creds? I need to know this mark."

Charging documents described Ibrahim as a "probational employee" of the DEA, a federal law enforcement agency within the Department of Justice, and said he had given notice that he planned to resign weeks before the Capitol assault. The DEA did not immediately respond to CBS News' request for comment.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »

Things are going very well and sane and normal and HOW DARE YOU for this particular defendant:

A Pennsylvania woman who allegedly stormed the Capitol and told a police officer to “bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that f—king bitch” has filed court documents claiming to be a divinely empowered entity immune from laws.

Pauline Bauer, a Pennsylvania pizzeria owner, is accused of multiple counts of violent entry, disruptive conduct, and obstruction of Congress after she allegedly broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6. Prosecutors allege that Bauer tried organizing buses to transport people to D.C. for a rally that preceded the riot, and that while in the Capitol rotunda she told police that she wanted to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But in what experts describe as an inadvisable legal strategy, Bauer has demanded to represent herself in court, appeared to threaten a court clerk with prison time, and declared herself a “self-governed individual” with special legal privileges.

Bauer does not simply appear in court, she clarified during a June 11 proceeding via Zoom. “I am here by special divine appearance, a living soul,” she told a judge that day, while stating that she did not want an attorney.

“I do not stand under the law,” she said. “Under Genesis 1, God gave man dominion over the law.”

Things continue to go extremely well for Citizen Bauer of "Pennsylvania".

Things are going very well and sane and normal and HOW DARE YOU for this particular defendant:

A Pennsylvania woman who allegedly stormed the Capitol and told a police officer to “bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that f—king bitch” has filed court documents claiming to be a divinely empowered entity immune from laws.

Pauline Bauer, a Pennsylvania pizzeria owner, is accused of multiple counts of violent entry, disruptive conduct, and obstruction of Congress after she allegedly broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6. Prosecutors allege that Bauer tried organizing buses to transport people to D.C. for a rally that preceded the riot, and that while in the Capitol rotunda she told police that she wanted to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But in what experts describe as an inadvisable legal strategy, Bauer has demanded to represent herself in court, appeared to threaten a court clerk with prison time, and declared herself a “self-governed individual” with special legal privileges.

Bauer does not simply appear in court, she clarified during a June 11 proceeding via Zoom. “I am here by special divine appearance, a living soul,” she told a judge that day, while stating that she did not want an attorney.

“I do not stand under the law,” she said. “Under Genesis 1, God gave man dominion over the law.”

So she's going with an insanity defense?

She's a sovereign citizen. I can tell from the language.

I shall now accept my accolades, etc etc
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2021, 08:51:35 AM »

All of the offenses boil down at the least to burglary (going into a place in which one is unauthorized and for which one has no compelling excuse, such as escaping a violent crime or a severe storm).
You are describing trespassing, not burglary. You do not burglarize a building merely through unauthorized entry. Burglary requires intent to commit a separate crime within.

Not necessarily. Depends a lot on interpretation of DC and federal law regarding the presence of other individuals other than co-conspirators.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »

Not necessarily. Depends a lot on interpretation of DC and federal law regarding the presence of other individuals other than co-conspirators.

I thought I would show off by mentioning the "at night" element, but that common law element has been abandoned in the bulk of the US states, and in particular in DC, so my exercise was a fail. Boo!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

Pelosi is apparently objecting to Banks and Jordan. Not sure if that means she's vetoing them.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2021, 11:36:13 AM »

Pelosi has rejected Banks and Jordan
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »

McCarthy has pulled his remaining picks. So its just gonna be Dems plus Cheney
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »

Pelosi has rejected Banks and Jordan

I'm sure McCarthy put them up just so that would happen.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2021, 12:27:23 PM »

LOL, what a little bitch. How in the world does anyone on the Right like this guy?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »

LOL, what a little bitch. How in the world does anyone on the Right like this guy?

Because that's exactly why they like him? This is exactly what almost half the country wants from its government. Just like exactly half the country was practically in heaven when Pelosi ripped a piece of paper.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2021, 12:37:53 PM »

Because that's exactly why they like him? This is exactly what almost half the country wants from its government. Just like exactly half the country was practically in heaven when Pelosi ripped a piece of paper.

Your comparison to "ripping a piece of paper" is a joke.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »

Can Pelosi add Adam Kinzinger (if he were to accept)?
Does anyone know if the rules would allow this?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »

Not unless one of her picks pulls out or they pass an amended resolution. Otherwise she'd have to pull someone.

Kinzinger said he didn't want to do it (but would if asked) which may be why she went with Cheney.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »

I think this was a stupid stupid move by Pelosi and I hope she got Cheney’s blessing before doing it
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »

I think she'd be able to but I don't really know. She added Cheney and she accepted and is now apart of the majority of the cmtee rather than the minority (according to wikipedia)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »

The Republicans had every opportunity to be part of a bipartisan commission where they would have had equal representation, equal subpoena power, and other items that they had insisted on in negotiations.  After these negotiations they still chose not to take part. 

They will no doubt complain that the resulting committee is partisan, and this is no doubt true.  But I have zero sympathy for their position; they rejected a bipartisan commission and have no one to blame but themselves.  And I don't think Pelosi and the other Democrats will particularly care about it being called partisan...and may even welcome it.  Making the investigation a partisan battle may very well end up branding Democrats as the party that defends democracy and the Republicans as the party that defends insurrection.  I'm sure Democrats would embrace that result.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2021, 03:12:26 PM »

Pelosi's select committee will be a giant waste of money and nothing useful will come out of it.  There will be lots of ignored subpoenas too.  Grab some popcorn.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »

I’m annoyed at this - don’t give them the moral high ground
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2021, 03:46:16 PM »

Pelosi's select committee will be a giant waste of money and nothing useful will come out of it.  There will be lots of ignored subpoenas too.  Grab some popcorn.

This isn't even about Pelosi it's about finding out the details of who organized an attack on the Capitol. Real Americans deserve more answers.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »

They were heard on November 2.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »

MLK made change without one single violent attack on the government. He would have never supported what happened on January 6th. And you all are constantly heard because you never shut up. Being heard doesn't mean winning elections.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »

FFS, Trump voters got a 4 point boost for their wishes compared to the actual will of the people and still America chose Biden and the Democrats.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 149  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies