January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:42:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 150
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 135112 times)
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3550 on: March 01, 2024, 04:59:12 AM »

Trump’s plan to use Judge Cannon to block Judge Chutkan and avoid trial

Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers see a major opportunity this week to use his criminal document mishandling case in Florida to create an impasse on his calendar for the two federal judges overseeing his major criminal cases.

Juggling his campaign and court calendar and playing his cases off one another is a key part of Trump’s legal strategy. The ultimate goal, his team has said openly, is to prevent Trump from being tried in federal court before voters cast their ballots in the 2024 general election.

A primary aim for Trump’s legal team, according to people familiar with the strategy, is to put the judge in DC overseeing the 2020 federal election obstruction case, Tanya Chutkan, in a position where she can’t start a trial before Election Day.

“Meaning, ice her,” said a person familiar with Trump’s trial schedule strategy. “Making it impossible for her to jam a trial down before the election, by things that are out of her control.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/politics/trump-judge-cannon-chutkan-trial-plan/index.html

For all the talk of Trump's defense team being dumber than a bag of bricks from people here and elsewhere, I think they've actually done reasonably well in their efforts to delay all of Trump's trials but the weaker New York one.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3551 on: March 01, 2024, 12:30:32 PM »

In the MAL hearing today, the government confirmed that the 60 day window before elections does not apply after indictment. We all know about these cases already, the whole point is not to prejudice somebody so close to the election.  He's already been prejudiced.

Could DOJ or the Chutkan decide anyway that this is a place they do not want to go? I guess so. But currently there is no law or policy (DOJ, the courts, or otherwise) that Trump cannot be facing trial for this right before or even on election day.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3552 on: March 01, 2024, 12:34:38 PM »

For all the talk of Trump's defense team being dumber than a bag of bricks from people here and elsewhere, I think they've actually done reasonably well in their efforts to delay all of Trump's trials but the weaker New York one.

Agreed. And I think the judge outsmarted them on that one. They thought March 25 was just a placeholder and they'd be able to move it at the hearing last month because of the other trials, and the judge was like, nope everything is delayed so no reason we can't just go ahead and use the placeholder and you already decided not to appeal the immunity issue so it's on. lol
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3553 on: March 01, 2024, 12:37:03 PM »

Agreed. And I think the judge outsmarted them on that one. They thought March 25 was just a placeholder and they'd be able to move it at the hearing last month because of the other trials, and the judge was like, nope everything is delayed so no reason we can't just go ahead and use the placeholder and you already decided not to appeal the immunity issue so it's on. lol

I mean I think this is also a testament to how the judicial system can be easily gamed. Each presents its own issues - in J6, it shows how you can just keep appealing and then kick can to SC if you'd like. In GA, if you throw flimsy accusations out against the prosecutor, you can get it delayed. And in FL, if you have a sympathetic judge to your cause, you can get it delayed. A normal functioniong judicial system should not have let a lot of this happen.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3554 on: March 01, 2024, 12:50:36 PM »

It's worth remembering Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens.  He was up for reelection in 2008 and was indicted on July 29 of that year.  Stevens asserted his right to a speedy trial to clear his name before the election, but was found guilty on October 27 -- eight days before the election, which he narrowly lost.  The guilty verdict was later overturned due to prosecutorial misconduct.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3555 on: March 01, 2024, 04:42:57 PM »

I mean I think this is also a testament to how the judicial system can be easily gamed. Each presents its own issues - in J6, it shows how you can just keep appealing and then kick can to SC if you'd like. In GA, if you throw flimsy accusations out against the prosecutor, you can get it delayed. And in FL, if you have a sympathetic judge to your cause, you can get it delayed. A normal functioniong judicial system should not have let a lot of this happen.

Trump's shamelessness proves to be the blacklight on our nation's institutions once again.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3556 on: March 01, 2024, 06:11:48 PM »

Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers see a major opportunity this week to use his criminal document mishandling case in Florida to create an impasse on his calendar for the two federal judges overseeing his major criminal cases.

Juggling his campaign and court calendar and playing his cases off one another is a key part of Trump’s legal strategy. The ultimate goal, his team has said openly, is to prevent Trump from being tried in federal court before voters cast their ballots in the 2024 general election.

A primary aim for Trump’s legal team, according to people familiar with the strategy, is to put the judge in DC overseeing the 2020 federal election obstruction case, Tanya Chutkan, in a position where she can’t start a trial before Election Day.

“Meaning, ice her,” said a person familiar with Trump’s trial schedule strategy. “Making it impossible for her to jam a trial down before the election, by things that are out of her control.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/politics/trump-judge-cannon-chutkan-trial-plan/index.html

It's the only strategy they have, because he's obviously guilty.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3557 on: March 02, 2024, 08:29:42 AM »

It's paying off. The Supreme Court may have killed the entire case, due to how far it's going to delay things now.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3558 on: March 02, 2024, 12:30:56 PM »

After yesterday, I doubt they killed the entire case. Smith made it clear there is no policy to keep a defendant off trial in the runup to the election. That means we'll probably get a verdict in this case before Inauguration Day. Of course if Trump is the one getting inaugurated, and he was convicted, he can try to pardon himself and we'll see how that goes. (I don't think the AG can just dismiss the case as many have said, it's up to the judge at that point whether to accept that recommendation or not.)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3559 on: March 02, 2024, 06:08:20 PM »

When you have money. That's nothing new. As for delays, it's pathetic when otherwise fair judges fall for what's going on. I'm not surprised SCOTUS is on board with Trump's delay tactics (or Judge Cannon for that matter), but it's sad to see other judges fall for it.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3560 on: March 04, 2024, 03:41:03 AM »

It's paying off. The Supreme Court may have killed the entire case, due to how far it's going to delay things now.

That renders the strategy with Cannon moot though. With DC and GA off the calendar I wonder if Trump wants to go to trial in FL so he can get acquitted before the election.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3561 on: March 04, 2024, 05:31:42 PM »

That renders the strategy with Cannon moot though. With DC and GA off the calendar I wonder if Trump wants to go to trial in FL so he can get acquitted before the election.
DC is not off the Calendar.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3562 on: March 04, 2024, 05:57:51 PM »

DC is not off the Calendar.

Neither is Georgia.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3563 on: March 04, 2024, 06:18:48 PM »

DC I believe is off the calendar in there is no scheduled trial date (it was today before it was removed). However, it absolutely could still happen this year.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3564 on: March 04, 2024, 08:16:03 PM »

There’s no way Trump is getting acquited in the FL case.
He’s ironclad no-brainer open-and-shut guilty in that one.  He might get a hung jury just due to some rogue juror.  But you’re never going to get a jury to unanimously agree to just nullify for no legal reason.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3565 on: March 04, 2024, 08:16:51 PM »

He’s ironclad no-brainer open-and-shut guilty in that one.  He might get a hung jury just due to some rogue juror.  But you’re never going to get a jury to unanimously agree to just nullify for no legal reason.

OK maybe she dismissed them right at the end of the election for October surprise?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3566 on: March 05, 2024, 01:29:18 PM »

OK maybe she dismissed them right at the end of the election for October surprise?

This is a great idea. If she really wants to help Trump, the best way to do it would be to schedule the trial for Aug 12 and then dismiss the case in late October. That would insulate Trump from the Jan 6 case.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3567 on: March 05, 2024, 01:39:44 PM »

While I guess she can do that, with the goal of increasing his election chances, we should note the dismissal can be appealed and would likely be overturned and then the 11th circuit would surely assign the case to someone else at that point. So if Trump wins, it then comes down to whether a self pardon will be upheld by the courts or whether his DOJ can convince the new judge to drop the charges.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3568 on: March 05, 2024, 01:44:21 PM »

While I guess she can do that, with the goal of increasing his election chances, we should note the dismissal can be appealed and would likely be overturned and then the 11th circuit would surely assign the case to someone else at that point. So if Trump wins, it then comes down to whether a self pardon will be upheld by the courts or whether his DOJ can convince the new judge to drop the charges.

He will self-pardon for sure. You can bet on it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3569 on: March 05, 2024, 01:57:18 PM »

Yes, though the cleanest way for a pardon would be to invoke the 25th Amendment for an hour, let the vice president acting as president sign a pardon declaration, and then resume presidential powers. I haven't read this somewhere yet, but that just makes sense to me.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3570 on: March 05, 2024, 02:03:02 PM »

Yes, though the cleanest way for a pardon would be to invoke the 25th Amendment for an hour, let the vice president acting as president sign a pardon declaration, and then resume presidential powers. I haven't read this somewhere yet, but that just makes sense to me.

Another brilliant idea.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3571 on: March 05, 2024, 02:30:04 PM »

Seems legally dubious but we'll see (maybe).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3572 on: March 05, 2024, 02:53:17 PM »

The question of whether a President can self-pardon is unsettled, for the obvious reason that no President has ever tried it.  Nixon had his DoJ's Office of Legal Counsel prepare an opinion on the question (gee, I wonder why) and their conclusion was that the President could not pardon himself, but they did raise the 25A scenario mentioned above.  The summary:

Under the fundamental rule that no one may be a judge in his own case, the President cannot pardon himself.

If under the Twenty-Fifth Amendment the President declared that he was temporarily unable to perform the duties of the office, the Vice President would become Acting President and as such could pardon the President. Thereafter the President could either resign or resume the duties of his office.

Although as a general matter Congress cannot enact amnesty or pardoning legislation, because to do so would interfere with the pardoning power vested expressly in the President by the Constitution, it could be argued that a congressional pardon granted to the President would not interfere with the President’s pardoning power because that power does not extend to the President himself.

You can read the full opinion at https://www.justice.gov/file/20856/download.

In practice, I don't doubt that Trump would attempt to self-pardon if he's elected again, and the issue would then need to be settled by SCOTUS.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3573 on: March 05, 2024, 10:46:15 PM »

If Fani Willis isn’t disqualified, is there a possibility she could try to pare down her trial to hold it later this year?  My understanding is that the charges there carry a mandatory minimum prison sentence that Trump couldn’t be pardoned from, and would have to begin serving even if the case is on appeal.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3574 on: March 05, 2024, 11:11:19 PM »

If Fani Willis isn’t disqualified, is there a possibility she could try to pare down her trial to hold it later this year?  My understanding is that the charges there carry a mandatory minimum prison sentence that Trump couldn’t be pardoned from, and would have to begin serving even if the case is on appeal.

Mostly right. The RICO charges carry a 5-year minimum sentence, but this doesn’t guarantee 5 years behind bars. Judges have discretion to suspend or substitute probation for all or part of it. And the governor has no pardon power; it was taken away due to a corrupt pardon-selling governor in the 1940s. It would require a constitutional amendment to change that, which has zero percent chance of happening.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 150  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies