Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese  (Read 47176 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: August 14, 2023, 05:07:27 AM »

Latham really is a fascinating case study, but not in a good way.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #701 on: August 14, 2023, 05:10:55 AM »

Seems to be a power trip from Pauline Hanson and the federal executive. Australian minor parties can have very vicious infighting due to the requirements for seperate state parties and a national executive, which can get rather cliquey.
One Nation are exceptional even by that standard. Of the 35 members elected/appointed, 20 left the party during their term, often very early in it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #702 on: August 14, 2023, 05:16:41 AM »

Seems to be a power trip from Pauline Hanson and the federal executive. Australian minor parties can have very vicious infighting due to the requirements for seperate state parties and a national executive, which can get rather cliquey.
One Nation are exceptional even by that standard. Of the 35 members elected/appointed, 20 left the party during their term, often very early in it.

That is positively UKIPpy.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #703 on: August 14, 2023, 05:34:54 AM »

That is positively UKIPpy.

And of the 15 remaining, 8 are incumbents who merely haven’t defected yet
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #704 on: August 14, 2023, 05:46:20 AM »

Latham really is a fascinating case study, but not in a good way.

The comparable figure in Australian history would perhaps be Billy Hughes, although of course Latham has never quite reached the same heights.

This video about his political career is a good watch. It suggests that his mentor Whitlam disowning him after the 2004 election was the point when he turned from a mere hothead into a complete lunatic.

JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #705 on: August 14, 2023, 05:46:58 AM »

If this escalates it’s not inconceivable another 3 will join that list, as Latham remains One Nation leader in the NSW Parliament and will presumably count on the loyalty of the other 2 MPs if he quit/got expelled. He’s there till 2031, the other 2 till 2027.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #706 on: August 22, 2023, 12:50:42 AM »

If this escalates it’s not inconceivable another 3 will join that list, as Latham remains One Nation leader in the NSW Parliament and will presumably count on the loyalty of the other 2 MPs if he quit/got expelled. He’s there till 2031, the other 2 till 2027.

We can add 2 to the list! Latham and his lackey Rod Roberts have officially left Pauline Hanson’s One Nation over allegedly "defrauding NSW electoral funds" to the tune of $270,000 and would not be associated with a political party that acts "without morals”. They will become Independent crossbenchers and it’s unclear if Latham intends to form his own micro party. Labor defector Tania Mihailuk so far seems to have stuck with Pauline.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #707 on: August 22, 2023, 09:29:44 AM »

Latham forming his own party was always where things were likely to end up wasn't it.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #708 on: September 25, 2023, 11:30:12 PM »

Dan Andrews has resigned as Victorian premier effective tomorrow. Jacinta Allen presumptive frontrunner to replace him.
Logical

« Reply #709 on: September 26, 2023, 08:16:13 AM »

No contemporary premier has the guts and determination to emulate good old Sir Joh. Sad.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #710 on: September 26, 2023, 03:01:02 PM »

Dan had an amazing career, he looks like someone who has delivered on his promises and it's impressive just how much support he maintained through Covid. Despite bad luck in the pandemic, his leadership does seem like it should be looked up to and respected.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #711 on: September 26, 2023, 04:41:04 PM »

Dan had an amazing career, he looks like someone who has delivered on his promises and it's impressive just how much support he maintained through Covid. Despite bad luck in the pandemic, his leadership does seem like it should be looked up to and respected.

Most Victorians seem to think he did alright during the pandemic, giving his pretty high numbers then. What I'll always remember his how he has now singlehandedly made half the staff at NewsCorp Australia redundant.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #712 on: October 14, 2023, 10:14:05 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2023, 10:19:10 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

What are the predictions now on Albanese for the polls in the next Federal elections?

He has clearly ignored the advice to just put the referendum to only involve the 'recognition of Aboriginals as first nations people' in the Constitution.

Albanese says he "had a duty" like some weird religious motive.

The guy is living in la-la land.

Albanese ended his speech with a Churchill quote, and then fled like an Italian Cruise Ship Captain.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #713 on: October 14, 2023, 05:48:55 PM »

What are the predictions now on Albanese for the polls in the next Federal elections?

He has clearly ignored the advice to just put the referendum to only involve the 'recognition of Aboriginals as first nations people' in the Constitution.

Albanese says he "had a duty" like some weird religious motive.

The guy is living in la-la land.

Albanese ended his speech with a Churchill quote, and then fled like an Italian Cruise Ship Captain.

He announced in his victory speech last year that he was fully committed to the Uluru Statement. If he refused to act on it, then he would be held accountable. And you view Howard and Morrison as our two best Prime Ministers despite the endless ways they were awful, so it must be nice for you to have some company in La La Land

To address your point, one of the most fascinating parts of this whole thing is Labor has been holding a small but steady lead in 2PP. The referendum went down, yes, but their 2PP lead has remained fairly static, hovering at around 8% in  Newspoll for a while.

They are down in primary votes, but I think we are now entering the era where primary votes don't matter anymore. Support for the Greens and other minor parties has hovered so steadily at 12-15% that I think it is a real possibility Labor will win the next election while finishing behind the Liberals on primaries.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #714 on: October 15, 2023, 10:49:03 AM »

The pointlessly fumbled yes campaign does not make me feel confident that Labor knows how to appeal to everyday voters under their current leadership. If the Coalition and others can find an even illusionary cogent appeal to the public, they could easily win against this kind of incompetence. They saw the right weaknesses and took advantage of them. I really feel awful for first peoples right now. They are suffering a new undeniable public rejection. This government has somehow achieved precisely the opposite of its own short term policy goal with this referendum.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #715 on: October 15, 2023, 06:26:09 PM »

The pointlessly fumbled yes campaign does not make me feel confident that Labor knows how to appeal to everyday voters under their current leadership. If the Coalition and others can find an even illusionary cogent appeal to the public, they could easily win against this kind of incompetence. They saw the right weaknesses and took advantage of them. I really feel awful for first peoples right now. They are suffering a new undeniable public rejection. This government has somehow achieved precisely the opposite of its own short term policy goal with this referendum.

It had nothing to do with Aboriginals.

It appealed to inner city elites in $4M real estate suburbs where no Aboriginals live. This was how those people imagined Aboriginal people to be (to alleviate their wealth guilt).

As defined by regional Australians, it was "a crock of sh$t" and now it was nothing more than pure woke fantasy.

30% of Aboriginal voted against it.

One can fix the indigeous issues (child sexual abuse, alcoholism, rampant corruption) using normal political process.....it's called hard work.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #716 on: October 15, 2023, 10:33:21 PM »

In fairness, this was not at all a Labor campaign. The Yes campaign was driven by Aboriginal leaders and activists, with Labor strategists taking a back seat. Their (naïve) commitment to a positive campaign exemplified this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #717 on: October 16, 2023, 04:48:37 AM »

It appealed to inner city elites in $4M real estate suburbs where no Aboriginals live. This was how those people imagined Aboriginal people to be (to alleviate their wealth guilt).

As defined by regional Australians, it was "a crock of sh$t" and now it was nothing more than pure woke fantasy.

One can fix the indigeous issues (child sexual abuse, alcoholism, rampant corruption) using normal political process.....it's called hard work.

Again, for the billionth time, since you seem incapable of reading anyone else's comments: the Voice to Parliament was literally an idea from Indigenous Australians. At this point, I'm convinced that you're either racist or stupid.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #718 on: October 16, 2023, 07:45:56 AM »

At this point, I'm convinced that you're either racist or stupid.

There is some correlation between the two tbf.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #719 on: October 16, 2023, 07:56:46 AM »

Every Government that wins has the illusion that people voted in favour of their program and not to get rid of the last guy.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #720 on: October 16, 2023, 08:54:46 AM »

This reads like someone with a grudge trying to shoehorn as much loathing as possible into a post. It is your own (sad, bitter) opinion disguised as analysis. It is also poor analysis. You use numbers that directly contradict your own point, and make vague references to the opinions of no one in particular. You finish it off by using horrible crimes as a way to colour an entire disadvantaged group of people, then say they are lazy. It left a trail on my screen as I scrolled down, the distinct kind of slick mucous left by the needling little worms usually found eating through the brains of the most pitiable Americans.

It's possible though that if you contact your GP you may be eligible to receive your 10. Best of luck!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #721 on: October 16, 2023, 08:57:49 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2023, 09:30:24 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

This reads like someone with a grudge trying to shoehorn as much loathing as possible into a post. It is your own (sad, bitter) opinion disguised as analysis. It is also poor analysis. You use numbers that directly contradict your own point, and make vague references to the opinions of no one in particular. You finish it off by using horrible crimes as a way to colour an entire disadvantaged group of people, then say they are lazy. It left a trail on my screen as I scrolled down, the distinct kind of slick mucous left by the needling little worms usually found eating through the brains of the most pitiable Americans.

It's possible though that if you contact your GP you may be eligible to receive your 10. Best of luck!

No.

It's a fairly well-shared opinion amongst most Australians.....evidenced by Saturday's result.

Some electorates near Perth voted 70-75% NO. Some towns voted 80% NO.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/voice-to-parliament/andrew-bolt-calls-for-anthony-albanese-to-step-down-as-pm-after-voice-failure/video/ff6683195b2d9b53af4aedb76d41d520

A fellow West Australian told me he thought it was a "crock of sh#t". It was hard to find YES voters on Saturday, that's for sure.

The result speaks for itself.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #722 on: October 16, 2023, 09:21:32 AM »

Meclazine try to not ruin an Australian thread challenge (literally impossible, not clickbait)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #723 on: October 16, 2023, 12:48:50 PM »

Comparisons with the 1999 referendum remind me of a thought I had last week - if Albanese gets a second term, is he expected to go ahead with his planned referendum on the monarchy, or will the experience of the Voice make him a little more cautious?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #724 on: October 16, 2023, 02:11:54 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2023, 02:25:26 PM by GoTfan »

I suspect it's off the table for the foreseeable future, unfortunately.

No.

It's a fairly well-shared opinion amongst most Australians.....evidenced by Saturday's result.

Some electorates near Perth voted 70-75% NO.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/voice-to-parliament/andrew-bolt-calls-for-anthony-albanese-to-step-down-as-pm-after-voice-failure/video/ff6683195b2d9b53af4aedb76d41d520

A fellow West Australian told me he thought it was a "crock of sh#t". It was hard to find YES voters on Saturday, that's for sure.

The result speaks for itself.

And the racism gets deeper. I don't care what some random Western Australian says (and I'm 95% sure it never happened, given your track record of ignoring facts). The Voice to parliament sprung out of the Uluru Statement from the Heart, with a platform to elect 24 people from the Indigenous population by a vote among the Indigenous population to advise the parliament on Indigenous affairs, and was not a plan by "inner city woke lefties", but was actually formed by Indigenous people.

For Christ's sake, mate, the Uluru Statement was literally written and endorsed by the First Nations National Constitutional Convention in 2017. Evidently, your arguments don't hold much water for them either, considering the overwhelming majority of the Indigenous population-including the vast majority of those living in remote areas- voted in favour of it.

I know that I don't have the best record of following facts myself, but bloody hell mate, you are slipping into a new world of delusional.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies