AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:33:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35
Author Topic: AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)  (Read 133925 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: October 21, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »

Not to nitpick, but the ad cost should be 11x50,000, or 550,000.

Also fixed.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #676 on: October 21, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »

Joe, would you mind pulling my campaign organizations in Tennessee and Virginia back down to nothing? Now that I think about it, the campaign ads can be totally pulled to.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #677 on: October 21, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »

Joe, would you mind pulling my campaign organizations in Tennessee and Virginia back down to nothing? Now that I think about it, the campaign ads can be totally pulled to.

Are you trying to bait me into making a lunge for 'em?  Wink
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #678 on: October 21, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »

Why are you doing that?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #679 on: October 22, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »

Thanks very much to Nym90 for the extra money.

Level 3 Ad for each state:
Tennessee:
No Democrat has ever won the White House without winning at least five Southern States.  <Image of Kerry, Dukakis, Gore, etc., with maps showing how they didn't do well in the South.>  Governor John Mabus, can win in the South.  He managed to be elected governor twice twice in a deeply Southern State, Mississippi, and held high approval ratings.  He shares values that Southerners share (images of Gov. Mabus hunting, showing "hospitality" by warmly greeting people--some black--at the Governor's mansion, volunteering at a soup kitchen, etc.).
With Tennessee’s help, Mabus will win this election.
“Hi, I’m Governor John Mabus, and I approve this message, because with your help, we will win Tennessee now and in November, and go to the White House.”

Virginia:
No Democrat has ever won the White House without winning at least five Southern States.  <Image of Kerry, Dukakis, Gore, etc., with maps showing how they didn't do well in the South.>  Governor John Mabus, can win in the South.  He managed to be elected governor twice twice in a deeply Southern State, Mississippi, and held high approval ratings.  He shares values that Southerners share (images of Gov. Mabus hunting, showing "hospitality" by warmly greeting people--some black--at the Governor's mansion, volunteering at a soup kitchen, etc.).
With Virginia’s help, Mabus will win this election.
“Hi, I’m Governor John Mabus, and I approve this message, because with your help, we will win Virginia now and in November, and go to the White House.”

Two speeches made in both states:

Oil has tied the hands of America.  We have to either get it from sketchy foreign sources, or harm our pristine wilderness to get it.  Plus, the burning of fossil fuels is contributing to the crisis of global warming.  On top of that, the price is rising.
It's time for something new.  Under the Mabus administration, we will make a large tax credit for businesses to produce hybrid cars and for people to buy them.  We will also conduct research into biodiesel and hydrogen power cars.  The days we we ruined our planet in order to be at the mercy of foreigners will be OVER.

National electability.  Who’s got it?  Remember that no Democrat has ever been elected president without winning at least 5 Southern States.  Now I know that we can win five Southern states…your state being one of them <crowd applause!>.  But can my Northern opponents?  Probably not.  We had one of our opponents calling us stupid and worthless a week ago.  <crowd boos>  Now we have to think about the flip side of the coin too.  Sure I can win in the South, but can I win elsewhere?  As we’ve seen recently, I can.  I was the winner in Maine, one of the least Southern states, because they know that on the issues, I’m unstoppable.  I came in second in Michigan, and had Rev. Widdershins not been from that state and spent huge amounts of time just campaigning there, I would’ve won there too.  See, there is only one candidate in this race who can win everywhere.  We’ve gone through harsh years of Republican administration and it’s time for change.  And for victory, you’ve got to have a candidate who can win everywhere, and that candidate is me, John Mabus!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #680 on: October 22, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2006, 12:09:33 PM by Akno21 »

Virginia:
Level 1 Ad:

Alexander Bernstein has a record of service to this country. During his term as Secretary of State,

*Picture of Bernstein shaking hands with formally dressed men and women

He developed working relationships with representatives from all over the world.

*Picture of Bernstein with Middle Eastern leaders

He presided over some of the most successful Israeli-Palestinian peace talks in history.

*Picture of Bernstein with North Korean leaders

He worked out a deal with North Korea regarding its nuclear program

*Picture of Bernstein at Congress

He operated in a bi-partisan manner with support from both parties.

Cut to Bernstein standing in front of State Fair

As the partisan bickering in Washington grows greater every day, the need for a leader who can reach across party lines and get things done becomes ever clearer. I've brought people together across the world, and I can do it here at home too.

I'm Alexander Bernstein, and I approve this message.

Speech 1:

The United States has taken the lead on global issues in the past, whether it be space exploration, the fight against disease, or any number of issues. However, we are lagging behind in the environmental protection battle. There is no reason why only California should be implementing tough fuel emissions standards. There is no reason not for this to be a federal issue. Every state, not just California, should be better off environmentally, and our whole country should not be falling behind other countries when it to comes protecting the environment, especially considering we are its worst polluters. Were I to become President, I would submit the Kyoto Protocol to the Senate and do all I could to ensure ratification. Were I President, I would not have anyone in my administration who fudged EPA reports. I would promote policies that provide incentives to both businesses and consumers to develop and use environmentally friendly cars. I would put the environment, the world we live in, above the interests above rich businessmen who care only about their own bottom line. It is time that we take the lead on a problem we helped create.

Speech 2:

Education is a vital priority for me. Without a solid educational system, our country cannot grow and expand upon what we have. Right now, we are at an important point. There is a huge disparity in our schools between the haves and the have-nots. If you are not well-off, it is hard for your child to receive a quality education. That is not the America I know. Therefore, if you send me to the White House, I will propose to congress legislation to focus our education efforts where they need to be, on the schools that need help. We don’t need to reward the wealthy and successful; we need to ensure equal opportunity for all children in the United States.

Speech 3:

While often overlooked because of the War in Iraq, the battle for Afghanistan is ongoing and just as crucial to our success in the War on Terrorism. Just because we have seven times more troops in Iraq does not mean that it is seven times more important. In Afghanistan, the Hamid Karzai government has focused mostly on attempts to secure Kabul, but the rest of the country, particularly in the South and East regions, has fallen back to the Taliban insurgency. To make matters worse, Kabul itself has been the site of several attacks in recent months, and Karzai questioned the merits of the coalition strategy, calling for a reassessment. Karzai is right. We did not finish the job we started in Afghanistan. If we do not act soon, the Taliban will recover even more of what we took from them, and our sacrifice will have been for naught. There is more to the War on Terror than just Iraq. If we are to win it, we cannot be bogged down in one country, we must spread around our resources so that we can prevent terrorism all over the world, and not just in one country.

Speech 4:

American ingenuity has gotten us to where we are today. However, that does not mean that we can stop, pleased with our results, and not look forward. We cannot keep our dependence on oil forever, at some point, we will have to find alternative energy sources or our economy will be in serious trouble. There are several steps that must be taken to address this problem. First of all, the government must make a sizable commitment to finding alternative energy sources. Get the best scienists out there and on the job. Give major corporations incentives to find new solutions. Secondly, we need to lessen our reliance on oil. That means improving public transportation so it can be utilized by more people. That means incentives to companies to develop cars that need less oil or can run on energy other than fuel. Sadly, these companies aren't going to do it alone. And finally, we need leaders who aren't beholden to the interests of gas companies and who will act in the best interests of America. If that means hauling oil executives before Congress and forcing them to testify under oath, I am all for it. As President, I will make advancing the United States to a new era in fuel a centerpiece of my administration. We cannot go on like this, and it's about time someone took a stand on this vitally important issue.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #681 on: October 22, 2006, 12:02:50 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2006, 12:09:13 PM by Akno21 »

Tennessee:

Speech 1:

While often overlooked because of the War in Iraq, the battle for Afghanistan is ongoing and just as crucial to our success in the War on Terrorism. Just because we have seven times more troops in Iraq does not mean that it is seven times more important. In Afghanistan, the Hamid Karzai government has focused mostly on attempts to secure Kabul, but the rest of the country, particularly in the South and East regions, has fallen back to the Taliban insurgency. To make matters worse, Kabul itself has been the site of several attacks in recent months, and Karzai questioned the merits of the coalition strategy, calling for a reassessment. Karzai is right. We did not finish the job we started in Afghanistan. If we do not act soon, the Taliban will recover even more of what we took from them, and our sacrifice will have been for naught. There is more to the War on Terror than just Iraq. If we are to win it, we cannot be bogged down in one country, we must spread around our resources so that we can prevent terrorism all over the world, and not just in one country.

Speech 2:

Education is a vital priority for me. Without a solid educational system, our country cannot grow and expand upon what we have. Right now, we are at an important point. There is a huge disparity in our schools between the haves and the have-nots. If you are not well-off, it is hard for your child to receive a quality education. That is not the America I know. Therefore, if you send me to the White House, I will propose to congress legislation to focus our education efforts where they need to be, on the schools that need help. We don’t need to reward the wealthy and successful; we need to ensure equal opportunity for all children in the United States.

Speech 3:

American ingenuity has gotten us to where we are today. However, that does not mean that we can stop, pleased with our results, and not look forward. We cannot keep our dependence on oil forever, at some point, we will have to find alternative energy sources or our economy will be in serious trouble. There are several steps that must be taken to address this problem. First of all, the government must make a sizable commitment to finding alternative energy sources. Get the best scienists out there and on the job. Give major corporations incentives to find new solutions. Secondly, we need to lessen our reliance on oil. That means improving public transportation so it can be utilized by more people. That means incentives to companies to develop cars that need less oil or can run on energy other than fuel. Sadly, these companies aren't going to do it alone. And finally, we need leaders who aren't beholden to the interests of gas companies and who will act in the best interests of America. If that means hauling oil executives before Congress and forcing them to testify under oath, I am all for it. As President, I will make advancing the United States to a new era in fuel a centerpiece of my administration. We cannot go on like this, and it's about time someone took a stand on this vitally important issue.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #682 on: October 22, 2006, 03:21:13 PM »

I had intended to do more than this, but had more important real life stuff to do.

1. I would like to spend 10 hours campaigning in Tennessee.
2. The following speech (yes, yes, yes... I've used it before. I had thought I'd be back about an hour before I was, so I've no time to do anything better. Apologies) is to be given in both states:

The first thing that you must understand about my campaign is that it is, fundamentally, a campaign based around my values, your values, our values. Most politicians these days seem to believe that the basic unit in our society is the individual. These politicians preach a gospel of greed and selfishness; no wonder they are all so corrupt. I do not. I understand, as you ordinary folks all understand as well, that the basic units in our society are our communities and families. Most candidates claim to be in favour of "family values"; yet how can they support family values when they also support, and are given a lot of money by, the corporations that are destroying family farms, that lay off good, hardworking blue collar folks by the thousand and ruining the environment of God's green Earth to satisfy their own greed? They can't can they? The Establishment needs to be taught a lesson doesn't it?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #683 on: October 22, 2006, 05:10:39 PM »

it'd be cool if someone made county maps for these elections
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #684 on: October 22, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »

While I calculate the results for this stage, I should probably announce that the upcoming D.C. caucus has been canceled.  Hopefully that won't be too much of an inconvenience for any of you.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #685 on: October 22, 2006, 05:34:49 PM »

While I calculate the results for this stage, I should probably announce that the upcoming D.C. caucus has been canceled.  Hopefully that won't be too much of an inconvenience for any of you.
Sad
Why?  I was actually planning on contesting that one...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #686 on: October 22, 2006, 05:38:35 PM »

It was just too difficult to pre-calculate.  It's not really worth much anyway, so it shouldn't make much difference to whoever wins or loses it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #687 on: October 22, 2006, 05:43:06 PM »

It was just too difficult to pre-calculate.  It's not really worth much anyway, so it shouldn't make much difference to whoever wins or loses it.
ok, it's probably better this way since I'll have something to complain about if I lose Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #688 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:43 PM »

No suprises there then. Congratulations to Governer Mabus.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #689 on: October 22, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »

Folks, as expected we took both victory in both Virginia and Tennessee. Now we're going to begin our nationwide campaign. Nevada, Wisconsin, Utah, and then onto Super Tuesday. I'm asking anyone who's yet to donate their funds to go to the endorsement thread and contribute to my campaign so we can continue to bring our conservative message to the people in the upcoming primaries. Now, onto further victories!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #690 on: October 22, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »

it'd be cool if someone made county maps for these elections

It's a "little" crude.

Colours were picked, semi, randomly (I like the colour green...).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #691 on: October 22, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »

Wow, that's pretty cool, Al.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #692 on: October 22, 2006, 08:07:41 PM »

Tennessee:

MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #693 on: October 22, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »

Nevada:

40 hours fundraising
40 hours campaigning

Level 2 organization
Level 3 advertisement-TBA

Two Speeches
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #694 on: October 22, 2006, 08:57:29 PM »

Guys, we're really starting to pick up momentum.  Thanks to everyone who voted for me.  We won Tennessee and Virginia in the primaries, and we're gonna win them again in November!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: October 22, 2006, 09:29:15 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2006, 09:43:10 PM by Jake »

Nevada

Campaign Organization

Level 3

Campaign Speeches

--College Education--

The future. No matter what, the future is always ahead of us. Always flowing towards us without halt. While we live in the present, we must always take actions that will lead to a better, rather than worse, future. Now, one of my "hot button" issues has always been higher education. The steps a young adult takes after high school are the most important steps of life. I was lucky enough to grow up in a family that could afford to put me and my three sisters through college without needing to accrue significant debt, but I realize that very few Americans can do that. Entirely too many bright young adults graduate from high school and either don't have the money to attend college at all, or can attend, but have astronomical debt upon graduation.

Now, what's the solution to this problem? I think it lies in a two part attack. First, the government must reduce interest rates on Federal Student Loans, and at the same time extend the grace period before repayment is needed. Second, the government must expand federal work study programs to cover more eligible students. Any funds placed towards this initiative can be viewed as an investment in the future of millions of young adults, who will in turn use their education to continue America's progress.

--Educating...Better--

We're now in year six of the great experiment in bureaucracy known as the No Child Left Behind Act, and you know what, things still haven't gotten any better. Instead of the promised advances that were supposed to accompany the increase in standards and federal funding, we've gotten a mess, with schools being downgraded and punished for failing to increase their students test scores to arbitrary federal minimums. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need for such bureaucracy on the federal level. If local school boards wish to measure preformance based on local standards that's their prerogative, but we cannot continue to stiffle schools with regulations. Regulations which, by the way, have led to some schools cancelling music, art, and after school programs because they must spend that money on more math and english teachers. We're currently failing our children. It's time to repeal No Child Left Behind and start returning control of schools to the local communities.

--Responsibility--

In life, every has responsibilities. As a Congressman, I have a responsibility to represent my constituents and serve their interests. As a father and husband, I the responsibility to provide for my family and teach my children so they can be successful in life. And as a citizen, I have the responsibility to make good decisions, follow our laws, and speak my mind and vote so that our nation can flourish. However, responsibility seems to be lost of many of our youths today. We now see rampant drug use, astronomical teen pregnancy rates, and a general attitude of complacency among high school students. Our youngsters are failing to shoulder their responsibilities. Now, we can play the blame game all we want, but I know that game will not solve our problems, actions will. To combat teen pregnancy, we must enact laws promoting safe-sex policies and begin a nationwide campaign to ensure that teens who engage in risky sexual behavior do so with knowledge of how to prevent pregnancy. The worst thing we can do now is sit back and let the status-quo continue, because the ills of teen pregnancy, abortion, broken single parent homes, and poverty, especially in the black community, are inextricably linked together. Only by removing the cause of these problems can the effects be lessened.

--Your Government--

These days, politicians are all too happy to show the government as the evil boogeyman, out to steal their tax dollars and send them to a welfare queen, while forgetting about us middle class folks. They've tried to cast supporters of universal health care, increased education spending, and Social Security as socialists. But folks, that's just not the case. The purpose of government is to protect the citizens it governs. Most Americans believe that if someone gets ill it shouldn't matter whether they're rich or poor, they should get the same high quality care that any American deserves. Most Americans also believe that every child should get the best quality education in the world. And I know most Americans are in favor of providing every one of our seniors with a secure and stable retirement, free to live out their final years in peace. I know this because at every campaign stop I've made, folks just like you have come up and told me that's what they want their President to fight for. And I'll make the same promise to you that I've made to every one of them. I'll always fight for your issues, to protect you, because that's what the government is supposed to do.

--What You Deserve--

All too many politicians are all too happy to tell you what they can get for you. I'm running for President to get what you as Americans deserve. I know that you deserve to know that your children are safe from predators, I know that you deserve to know that you're family will be able to receive health coverage if one of you gets seriously ill, I know that you deserve the best education we can provide, and I know that you deserve to live out your golden years safe and secure. Those are guarantees our government must make to you and your family. No other candidate is prepared to offer such guarantees; some like Governor Cereal are all too happy to call such guarantees "pork" and toss them out the window. However, these guarantees are what every citizen deserves from their government. Those are my values, those are your values, and those are your neighbors' values. Now, give me the chance to defend your values as your President and guarantee you these rights.

General Campaigning

72 hours

Campaign Ads

--Modified Maverick - Campaign Ad @ Level 1--

>Newspaper headlines blare "The Maverick?"

v/o: What politician would throw his support behind a safe-sex campaign, a ban on legal abortion, privitizing most AMTRAK routes, expanding funding for higher education, and support returning control over education to local school boards?

>Cut to me talking on my Virginia Ranch

Me: I would. I recognize that there are all sorts of problems in America. Some can be answered with conservative solutions, some with liberal solutions, and some with moderate solutions. It doesn't matter which plan we use to fix a problem, or which party came up with it, what matters is getting the job done. I've been fighting to get the job done in Washington for 14 years. Vote for James Wallace on Tuesday, and choose a leader who will find a solution that works for YOU.

--Your Message - Campaign Ad @ Level 1--

>Video of faceless politicians speaking

v/o: In every election candidates talk about their issues, how they want to change America to suit their preferences.

>Show Wallace talking with supporters in Virginia, Wisconsin, Maine, and Oklahoma

Me: But in the past few months, I've heard everyday Americans tell me what they want. You want an actual plan to fix the social ills of teen pregnancy, you want more control over their children's education, you want cheaper power for your homes. As President, I'll fight to put a nationwide safe-sex campaign into action, I'll be the first to demand that Congress repealed the failed No Child Left Behind Act, and I'll demand Congress to pass legislation re-opening the construction of nuclear power plants. I've heard your message, now give me the chance to put your vision into action as your President.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #696 on: October 23, 2006, 05:19:57 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2006, 11:28:45 AM by MaC »

Nevada

40 hours fundraising
40 hours campaigning

Level 2 organization

Two Speeches:

Vices are not Crimes:
"Vices are not Crimes" said abolitionist Lysander Spooner back in the 1870s.  Being here in Las Vegas, also known as 'sin city' makes me realize how important our social liberties are.  At this point, I've been campaigning mostly on economic issues, but he's a few social issues I'd like to address.  And although one could see these issues as economical, the underlying social value is the one that stands out.  Prostitution is a 'victimless crime'; but why?  The prostitute consents to sex, and the john consents to paying her for her services.  This may not be a 'healthy' thing for either.  But why should we punish this?  It's a simple act that has gone on for centuries.  The act within itself hurts nobody, and therefore I cannot understand why in most other areas of the United States it is illegal.  Another issue is gambling.  It's a horrible habit to have.  Many people have addictions to gambling.  But should this be illegal?  I still say 'no'.  The people who gamble are giving consent to have their money (with good odds) lost for the off-chance they'll win big.  So when you go to the polls, remember the Republican candidate that won't try to micromanage your life, or get into your personal moral judgements.  Vote for Andrew Cereal.
Thank you and God bless.

Water rights
As a resident of Michigan, I've had the fortune of living with the abundance of water in the Great Lakes.  However, some states such as Nevada don't have the same resources.  My concern is how to manage water rights.  Some claim that Michigan has 'too much water' and needs to share with others.  But-I wouldn't go that far with entitlements.  I am 'more entitled' to say the lobster industry and making lobsters in Massachusetts more easily available?  Should people in Montana get hurricane relief money for hurricanes that come through the Gulf Coast?  I support Nevada's state governance abilities. I am a big fan of layer-cake federalism.  As president I will look into finding the hiring only the best engineers to work to find new ways to find, import, and create water and maintain supplies over long term periods.  And whatever way is the most efficient, states can adapt to their policies as they see fit.  Nevada isn't the only state with this problem, and I'm sure that with the best minds there's a way we can enhance our resource base.  Thank you and God bless.

can I remove that ad, as I won't have time to type one out? Thank you.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #697 on: October 23, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »

What's the Deadline for Nevada... I plan to contest, I just on't have the time at this exact moment.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #698 on: October 23, 2006, 05:49:35 PM »

nevermind... I see
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #699 on: October 23, 2006, 06:06:02 PM »

Analyses are both up; sorry if the Republican one seems a little vapid, but there just really wasn't much to report.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies