Is New Hampshire the American Hampshire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:23:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is New Hampshire the American Hampshire?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is New Hampshire the American Hampshire?
Yeah

Nah

Whatever

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Is New Hampshire the American Hampshire?  (Read 1408 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »

Something tells me they might be similar.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2021, 10:28:37 AM by Miramarian »

In my humble opinion, this is not the case at all. There are many important distinctions to be made between Hampshire and New "Hampshire", and I believe that Oklahoma is a better analogue for Hampshire than New "Hampshire".

First of all, Hampshire has a faster-growing population than New Hampshire. Its annual average population growth rate between 2011 and 2019 was +0.56% (according to citypopulation.de). Oklahoma scored similarly between the 2010 and 2020 U.S. censuses with +0.54%. New "Hampshire", USA, though? It's incredibly stagnant when compared to Hampshire, with +0.45%.

Secondly, when you remove the "e"s from "Hampshire", the county has eight letters. Just like Oklahoma (even if you remove the "e"s)! If you remove the "e"s from "New Hampshire", though, you end up with ten letters and a blank space! Not fitting at all...

Thirdly, Oklahoma and Hampshire are both towards the South-Central regions of their respective countries. New "Hampshire", though, can be found at the North-East of its respective country, in New "England". Sad!

Fourthly, Oklahoma's urbanization rate, at 66.2% as of the 2010 census, is closer to Hampshire proper's urbanization rate of 78.2%. In fact, in the tenths place after the decimal, they both use the numeral "2"! New "Hampshire", though? Not even close. Its urbanization rate was a pathetic 60.3%!

As you can clearly see, there are many differences between New "Hampshire" and Hampshire proper that make them not even worthy of comparison. Oklahoma is much closer. /s if you really couldn't tell

This would've been peak Abdullah had you ended it with a statement like 'but I'll defer to the experts in this area'.

You're correct, it was incredibly presumptuous of me to even pretend I know anything about Hampshire or New "Hampshire", I greatly apologize for that mishap. I've never been to Hampshire or New "Hampshire", so perhaps the above doesn't hold when you go visit the two areas in the flesh. I'll defer to the experts in this area.

You can't deny that the statistics are pretty clear, though../..//.. This is sarcasm
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 05:31:52 AM »

As somebody who genuinely doesn't know - *why* is it called New Hampshire?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 06:47:28 AM »

These threads are getting old. I put one about various cities being flooded.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 06:48:15 AM »

Ah, thought that might be an actual answer to my question. Never mind Smiley
Just the facts
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »

I guess Fairfield County in Connecticut would be the closest thing to an American Hampshire, with Bridgeport and Stamford standing in for Portsmouth and Southampton.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 07:01:10 AM »

I guess Fairfield County in Connecticut would be the closest thing to an American Hampshire, with Bridgeport and Stamford standing in for Portsmouth and Southampton.

??
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:15:49 AM »

I couldn't imagine the thread "is Bavarian the German Texas" would become a bomb
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 07:28:25 AM »

The history of NH is actually very interesting but the only answer I can find to your question is basically "that's just what they called it".

I do wonder though if Manchester, NH is the American Manchester, UK.  Worth looking into.
Just the facts
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 09:54:53 AM »

??

1. It's a county and not a state
2. It's close but not adjacent to New York (London)
3. It's mostly posh and leafy, except for two more working class cities
4. It's conservative, but more in the English sense of the word than in the Bible Belt sense
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »

??

2. It's close but not adjacent to New york (London)
4. It's conservative, but more in the English sense of the word than in the Bible Belt sense

This could be said of basically any county near London, and Hampshire doesn’t best fit those stereotypes. Anyway, it’s not that close to London.

There isn’t really an equivalent to Fairfield County. It is sui generis.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 10:06:59 AM »

??

2. It's close but not adjacent to New York (London)

Have you heard about Norfolk's Turnip Taliban?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 10:09:26 AM »

Clearly none of you, especially the Americans, know much about Hampshire.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 10:11:16 AM »

Does anyone? Hampshire seems utterly unremarkable in every way.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 10:11:59 AM »

Thanks. I'll let my neighbours know.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »

This is not the case at all. There are many important distinctions to be made between Hampshire and New "Hampshire", and I believe that Oklahoma is a better analogue for Hampshire than New "Hampshire".

First of all, Hampshire has a faster-growing population than New Hampshire. Its annual average population growth rate between 2011 and 2019 was +0.56% (according to citypopulation.de). Oklahoma scored similarly between the 2010 and 2020 U.S. censuses with +0.54%. New "Hampshire", USA, though? It's incredibly stagnant when compared to Hampshire, with +0.45%.

Secondly, when you remove the "e"s from "Hampshire", the county has eight letters. Just like Oklahoma (even if you remove the "e"s)! If you remove the "e"s from "New Hampshire", though, you end up with ten letters and a blank space! Not fitting at all...

Thirdly, Oklahoma and Hampshire are both towards the South-Central regions of their respective countries. New "Hampshire", though, can be found at the North-East of its respective country, in New "England". Sad!

Fourthly, Oklahoma's urbanization rate, at 66.2% as of the 2010 census, is closer to Hampshire proper's urbanization rate of 78.2%. In fact, in the tenths place after the decimal, they both use the numeral "2"! New "Hampshire", though? Not even close. Its urbanization rate was a pathetic 60.3%!

As you can clearly see, there are many differences between New "Hampshire" and Hampshire proper that make them not even worthy of comparison. Oklahoma is much closer.

This would've been peak Abdullah had you ended it with a statement like 'but I'll defer to the experts in this area'.
Just the facts
Rookie
Spain

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2021, 10:19:31 AM »

??

This could be said of basically any county near London, and Hampshire doesn’t best fit those stereotypes. Anyway, it’s not that close to London.

Both coastal counties. Both cities also coastal and lean Labour/Democrat unlike the county. Both opposite an island. Not that many matches. And anyway any county near London is more comparable to Fairfield County than it is to New Hampshire.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 11:11:14 AM »

On a serious note, if I had to pick a state equivalent it's probably Virginia:

-Contains a former capital of a previous nation (Richmond + Winchester)
-Large naval/naval legacy presence (Norfolk + Portsmouth) plus other military areas (Quantico + Aldershot)
-Wealthy suburban and rural areas, plus a large commuter area in the North
-Contains areas at the extreme high ends of wealth indices (Loudoun Co. + Hart District)
-Lost their Western part (West Virginia + Bournemouth)
-Contains areas that are on the coast, but not quite (Chesapeake Bay + the Solent)
-Contains members of my family (Cousins + Me)
-Both contain a Southampton, a Portsmouth, a Fleet, and a Winchester, there's also a Petersburg to match Petersfield
-Both have a rail service in need of improvement, and a medium-to-high sized airport relative to elsewhere (Reagan + Southampton)
-Neither have a Major League Baseball Team

But the question is still stupid were it serious.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »

??

Both coastal counties. Both cities also coastal and lean Labour/Democrat unlike the county. Both opposite an island. Not that many matches. And anyway any county near London is more comparable to Fairfield County than it is to New Hampshire.

Hampshire is barely coastal. All of Fairfield now leans Democrat. I think the island point is irrelevant. Fwiw, all the distances are much smaller in England.
Nowhere outside London is comparable to Fairfield: extreme concentration of wealth in a few towns; nearly everywhere very wealthy and very close to a very large city (NYC being much larger than London).

I think Beesley's is the best go at it to be honest.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »

As someone born and bred in Hampshire I resent this remark. It's hardly Surrey for gods sake!
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »

Please don't, it brings the level of the whole thread down.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »

I mentioned this once before, but the endless seeming suburban sprawly area between Southampton and Portsmouth probably is the most America-like part of the entire United Kingdom.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 12:13:48 PM »

I mentioned this once before, but the endless seeming suburban sprawly area between Southampton and Portsmouth probably is the most America-like part of the entire United Kingdom.

Nowhere in America would you have a town named Hamble-le-Rice.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »

Lovely place.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 12:23:33 PM »

Preppy rich people with yachts? I think there's a bit of that
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies