Israeli forces storm and fire on Al Aqsa mosque
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:12:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli forces storm and fire on Al Aqsa mosque
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Israeli forces storm and fire on Al Aqsa mosque  (Read 9612 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »

There’s a thing called reedom of speech and you mods need to realize it.

Privately-run website, Tender.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »

It's evident that the Biden administration has no intention of any seismic changes in American-Israeli relations, but I hope that, at the very least, they will continue the Obama administration's gradual backing away from unequivocal endorsements of everything that the Israeli government does. I await the day that a U.S. president actually takes advantage of the immense leverage that we have over Israel as to achieve a more humanitarian Israeli regime. That being said, I do think that even drastic changes to the governmental powers of Israel and Palestine will not remedy the fundamental tensions here.

Some of the defenses of the Israeli government being offered in this thread and elsewhere are pretty meaningless. Yes, Israel is, on balance, the most progressive country in the Middle East. Yes, Muslim-majority countries in the region treat religious minorities horrifically. In no way do these realities remotely legitimize unnecessary violence against innocent Palestinians.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »

Give him an allegory he can understand : its like his basement. He decides the content shared there and not (unfortunately).
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2021, 05:52:20 PM »

The ground invasion of Gaza by the Israeli Army is starting. Welcome back to 2014.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2021, 05:52:52 PM »

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »

I don't expect miracles from Joe Biden's administration  but this night hundreds of innocent Palestinians -trapped in the world's largest open-air prison- will die at the hands of a criminal army. The least one could expect from the US administration, now that Trump is not the Commander in Chief, is a phone call to the PM of the apartheid state: "Bibi, stop this".
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »

They're doing this on Eid.  Hard to see it as anything but deliberate malice.

Adding: reports of actual ground invasion seem to be premature.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2021, 06:59:22 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2021, 07:40:31 PM by Velasco »

I have seen terrifying videos of Gaza bombings and people is claiming the IDF is using white phosphorus

Violence is spreading. In the video below,  a group of Jewish rioters burns Arab businesses in an ethnically mixed town near Tel Aviv. "We are going to set Lod on fire!"

● Regarding violence in Lod, the mayor of that town has told the Arab/Palestinian residents to leave because sngry settlers from the West Bank and Jerusalem are coming and the police does not provide protection. I ignore the procedence of the rioters in the video posted above

● An Israeli news anchor has incited to violence against the Palestinian citizens of Israel in national TV,  reports 972 magazine

https://www.972mag.com/watch-how-mainstream-israeli-media-incites-against-palestinian-citizens-of-israel/

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »

Civil war
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2021, 08:09:07 PM »

Hope everyone on both sides are ok.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2021, 09:31:39 PM »

so one criminal can stay in power.

Violence and mayhem offer Benjamin Netanyahu refuge
The escalating conflict between Israel and Gaza has put efforts to form a coalition government that excludes Israel’s longest-serving prime minister on the back burner.

Until violence erupted this week, Benjamin Netanyahu appeared to be on the verge of losing his position at the helm of Israeli politics after 12 years as prime minister.
On top of the political threat to his premiership and current criticism over the mayhem in mixed Israeli towns, Netanyahu is also the first serving Israeli prime minister to stand trial on criminal charges, including fraud and bribery. He denies the charges, saying he is the victim of a politically motivated witch-hunt.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »

And ?

It’s still subject to the US constitution.

Or are you employed by Russia or China and the seat of the website in Moscow/Beijing ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2021, 11:12:38 PM »

The ongoing events have been triggered by a group of fanatic Jewish settlers evicting Palestinian residents in Sheikh Jarrah,  East Jerusalem. Any attempt to divert attention from the actual succession of events is biased and dishonest.

In its usual fashion, the allied organization of the apartheid regime called Hamas launched some rockets from Gaza. In the usual succession of events, the army of the apartheid state retaliated. Some residential tower has been bombed today*,  leaving dozens of families homeless. This is an obvious war crime that aggravates the already tragic circumstances of existence in that hellhole.  But the moron Benny Gantz can brag again, saying that entire sections of Gaza are being sent back to the Middle Ages. Meanwhile the architects of apartheid and their propagandists begin spreading lies

*Aside residential use, Shuruq Tower was also used by journalists and correspondents in Gaza. Its imminent destruction was known two hours before being bombed

Business as usual in Israel's supremacist dystopia

At least in Israel there are still arabs. Where are the jews in Iran and all the other countries in the region where they used to be part of it?
they "voluntarily" left when the mobs chased them from their homes

And so Palestinians should suffer because a collection of dictatorships evicted their minorities? (par for the course in most dictatorships, as minorities are often scapegoated - not that it doesn't make it horrific)

Its nice to know that anti-Arab/Islamophobic such as yourself have the same tropes about Arabs and Muslims as the anti-semites : its all one big hive mind conspiracy! All of the arabs think together and are not individuals, and must carry the burden for their dictatorships crimes!

Wanna play that game? Gonna start apologising for Andrew Jackson any time soon? Thought not. Libertarians are only anti-racist when it suits them.
you sure read a lot into my statement!

No, of course it doesn't give anyone an excuse to do anything.  But my statement was not wrong.  And I'll note you never, in all your rambling about my assumed positions, said it was incorrect....because you know it's not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2021, 11:20:24 PM »

And ?

the website is private property.  Property owners have the right to censor what is said on their property.  We are all here only because Dave (and his proxies) allow us to be and can take away our ability to be here for any reason they see fit.  Since it is a "public" place, they can't stop you from being here because of your race, religion or sexual orientation, but they can for any other reason and especially for reasons such as political positions they would rather not have shared from their property.

tldr, your freedom of speech is not infringed just because someone says you can't talk sh**t on their property.  You are still capable of talking sh**t, you just have to do it elsewhere.  City Hall is always available.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2021, 12:04:50 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2021, 12:08:57 AM by Velasco »

And so Palestinians should suffer because a collection of dictatorships evicted their minorities? (par for the course in most dictatorships, as minorities are often scapegoated - not that it doesn't make it horrific)

Its nice to know that anti-Arab/Islamophobic such as yourself have the same tropes about Arabs and Muslims as the anti-semites : its all one big hive mind conspiracy! All of the arabs think together and are not individuals, and must carry the burden for their dictatorships crimes!

Wanna play that game? Gonna start apologising for Andrew Jackson any time soon? Thought not. Libertarians are only anti-racist when it suits them.

No, of course it doesn't give anyone an excuse to do anything.  But my statement was not wrong.  And I'll note you never, in all your rambling about my assumed positions, said it was incorrect....because you know it's not.

You hate Arabs, dead0man. For you they are like the Nazis, according to your own words in another thread. I see you come here with Grand Mufti stories,  so I'll give you a reply.  For the record that I condemn the expulsion of Jewish minorities by dictatorial regimes ruling Muslim countries.

I'm not a bigot like you and I would never compare the State of Israel to the Nazi regime, because such thing is abhorrent. However, there is a disturbing and little known story from the times of the Nakba

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news/.premium-when-israel-placed-arabs-in-ghettos-fenced-by-barbed-wire-1.8877340

The curfew and lockdown imposed in Israel during the coronavirus epidemic may have begun to feel like a faded memory, but few know that many of the country’s citizens endured a similar situation in the past. Then, however, the approach was quite aggressive, with the use of barbed-wire fences and the demarcation of zones that were called ghettos and concentration camps.

The imposition of a curfew and the sequestration of the country’s Arabs began immediately after Israeli forces, during the 1948 War of Independence, conquered cities that were either Arab or mixed (Arab-Jewish) in their makeup. The battles left thousands of urban Arab residents under Jewish control. The majority of the Arabs did not take an active part in the war, and those who remained in the cities constituted a small fraction of a defeated population – weak, without representation and frightened. The long months following the conquest of the cities in mid-1948 were a test in miniature of the future relations of the two peoples who shared the country.

In Haifa, which was conquered in April 1948, no more than 3,500 Arabs remained out of a population of close to 70,000 Arabs that had resided there a short time before. Jaffa, which surrendered to the Jewish forces on May 13, had a similar prewar Arab population, of whom only 4,000 were left. Of the 35,000 residents of Ramle and Lod, both of them Arab locales, about 2,000 remained after the Israeli conquest in July 1948. In other cities taken by the Israeli forces – such as Tiberias, Safed, Beisan (Beit She’an) and Be’er Sheva – no Arabs remained. Within a short time, the vast majority (85 percent) of the 160,000 Arabs who remained in the rest of Israel’s territory at the end of the war found themselves under military rule, subjected to permanent curfew and a strict regime that demanded authorizations and permits for movement (...)

"Ghettos" and "concentration camps". Documents prove the Ben Gurion administration used that terminology. Do you realize that it would be extremely easy for me going to the bottom of the mud pit and play your dirty game? The difference is that I'm not a racist and the Holocaust is a serious issue for me.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2021, 12:17:16 AM »

And ?

Or are you employed by Russia or China and the seat of the website in Moscow/Beijing ?

Tender you're not even an American so you do not receive the benefits of the US Constitution.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2021, 12:18:29 AM »

No, of course it doesn't give anyone an excuse to do anything.  But my statement was not wrong.  And I'll note you never, in all your rambling about my assumed positions, said it was incorrect....because you know it's not.

You hate Arabs, dead0man. For you they are like the Nazis, according to your own words in another thread. I see you come here with Grand Mufti stories,  so I'll give you a reply.  For the record that I condemn the expulsion of Jewish minorities by dictatorial regimes ruling Muslim countries.
do you know how I know you're full of sh**t?  Because this is the first sentence I've ever typed here that includes the words "Grand Mufti".

I'm not a bigot like you and I would never compare the State of Israel to the Nazi regime, because such thing is abhorrent.
There are many here comparing it to the apartheid state.  You've got a lot of bigots to go after in some of the other threads.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2021, 04:17:30 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2021, 04:26:46 AM by Meclazine »

Can we just stop the petty fighting over nothing and get back to watching others' petty fighting over nothing.

And who doesn't like watching super fast missiles fired towards Israel being shot down by even faster missiles from Israel.

Simply incredible from a physics perspective.

Israel Defence Force

the Iron Dome

https://youtu.be/g9FzOPtgRlc

After firing 2,000 missiles towards Isreal, i am surprised the Israeli's have not unleashed more in the opposite direction.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2021, 09:34:20 AM »

Compared to many nations over the years, including my own, Israel is pretty restrained. Does this mean they're in the right, of course not.

Why do they even feel the need to build settlements in the West Bank when there's plenty of space in the Negev?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2021, 09:42:55 AM »

And ?

the website is private property.  Property owners have the right to censor what is said on their property.  We are all here only because Dave (and his proxies) allow us to be and can take away our ability to be here for any reason they see fit.  Since it is a "public" place, they can't stop you from being here because of your race, religion or sexual orientation, but they can for any other reason and especially for reasons such as political positions they would rather not have shared from their property.

tldr, your freedom of speech is not infringed just because someone says you can't talk sh**t on their property.  You are still capable of talking sh**t, you just have to do it elsewhere.  City Hall is always available.

Tbf I've always found this argument unconvincing for at least some sites. There is an argument to be made that sites like Facebook or Twitter are "too big to fail" and that therefore they should be treated as public spaces. Kind of like an online version of the local town square. This argument was particularly relevant when Trump got banned from Twitter (including support from notorious trumpist Angela Merkel)

Of course that does not apply to a super niche site with low traffic and impact like Atlas.

On the flip side, Biden (or Sebastian Kurz or even Trump) joining Atlas, being banned and nationalizing it as revenge is a hilarious scenario to think about
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2021, 10:49:33 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2021, 12:30:16 PM by lfromnj »

Compared to many nations over the years, including my own, Israel is pretty restrained. Does this mean they're in the right, of course not.

Why do they even feel the need to build settlements in the West Bank when there's plenty of space in the Negev?

This isn't defend the settlements per se, just explain the reasoning why its not the Negev.

1. The Negev is a desert, these settlements generally have better climate although most really aren't farmers.

2.Obviously the religious aspect of it being in the "Holy Land", so they can settle the Holy Land.

3. Suburbanization of Jerusalem. People work/commute to the city so lots of settlements are near here. Some mini settlements within Jerusalem itself generally involve Jewish groups collecting money  to buy a home/complex and then evicting the Palestinian renters.

The reasons overall are mixed with each other.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »

I"m amazed that someone is still claiming the apartheid regime is "restrained" and elaborate arguments like this. You must live into a turtle shell, or something
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »

The longer this goes on, the higher the chance this ends in a serious civil war. Israeli forces would for sure win militarily, but they would have to build an even larger police state to keep it kind of quiet.
AussieB
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2021, 12:03:51 PM »

I"m amazed that someone is still claiming the apartheid regime is "restrained" and elaborate arguments like this. You must live into a turtle shell, or something

And I am amazed that someone still believes this apartheid bullsh**t talk. It's fun to see Europeans rooting for Hamas though. Let's imagine this situation, Morocco sends 2000 rockets at Canary Islands, how would the Spanish reaction look like? Few airstrikes? Probably not, so stop acting so arrogant.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »

I have seen terrifying videos of Gaza bombings and people is claiming the IDF is using white phosphorus

Violence is spreading. In the video below,  a group of Jewish rioters burns Arab businesses in an ethnically mixed town near Tel Aviv. "We are going to set Lod on fire!"

● Regarding violence in Lod, the mayor of that town has told the Arab/Palestinian residents to leave because sngry settlers from the West Bank and Jerusalem are coming and the police does not provide protection. I ignore the procedence of the rioters in the video posted above

● An Israeli news anchor has incited to violence against the Palestinian citizens of Israel in national TV,  reports 972 magazine

https://www.972mag.com/watch-how-mainstream-israeli-media-incites-against-palestinian-citizens-of-israel/

The usage of white phosphorus is a war crime and was justification for many posters to defend Armenia in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict back in October, including some who are defending Netanyahu’s regime now. Do you have a source on this, or is it just speculation for now?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies