Pro-Trump lawmakers create "Anglo Saxon Caucus"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:57:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pro-Trump lawmakers create "Anglo Saxon Caucus"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Pro-Trump lawmakers create "Anglo Saxon Caucus"  (Read 4532 times)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »

You wouldn't give MTG herself the airtime or the attention, so why do it with similar members of this forum when they're so blatantly asking for it?
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2021, 12:01:36 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2021, 12:05:26 PM by wants to resurrect the bull moose party »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Black_Caucus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Asian_Pacific_American_Caucus

...a bicameral caucus consisting of members of the United States Congress who have a strong interest in promoting Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) issues and advocating the concerns of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders...
To ensure that legislation passed by the United States Congress, to the greatest extent possible, provides for the full participation of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and reflects the concerns and needs of the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities;
To educate other Members of Congress about the history, contributions and concerns of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders;
To establish policies on legislation and issues relating to persons of Asian and/or Pacific Islands ancestry who are citizens or nationals of, residents of, or immigrants to, the United States, its territories and possessions; and To provide a structure to coordinate the efforts, and enhance the ability, of the Asian American and Pacific Islander Members of Congress to accomplish those goals.[1]

What's the difference exactly...?

I am saying it right now: If either Ossoff or Warnock wins, I'll leave the forum for 1 solid year.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »

...a bicameral caucus consisting of members of the United States Congress who have a strong interest in promoting Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) issues and advocating the concerns of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders...
To ensure that legislation passed by the United States Congress, to the greatest extent possible, provides for the full participation of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and reflects the concerns and needs of the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities;
To educate other Members of Congress about the history, contributions and concerns of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders;
To establish policies on legislation and issues relating to persons of Asian and/or Pacific Islands ancestry who are citizens or nationals of, residents of, or immigrants to, the United States, its territories and possessions; and To provide a structure to coordinate the efforts, and enhance the ability, of the Asian American and Pacific Islander Members of Congress to accomplish those goals.[1]

.... do I really have to explain what privilege and racism is to you?
Yes, please do.

You understand why congressional caucuses exist, right? They address specific issues or groups that have interests that need to be addressed. There are many issues impacting Black Americans and there are many issues impacting Asians and Pacific Islanders - issues that impact them because of racism in this country. Whites do not experience systemic racism and therefor do not need a congressional caucus.
Not every white person in America is Anglo-Saxon, ignorant.

Also, from what I can gather, this caucus is supposed to promote the knowledge Anglo-Saxon culture and it's postives. Which if you didn't know, laid the foundation to this little thing called the United States of America, it's political structure, identity, lanugage and it's tolerance of other religions. Something more and more people should be educated about....

...I thought you leftists were fans of appropriation of other cultures, because I always hear the terms "muh melting pot" "muh american project" - oh wait I forgot... they're some type of whites, therefore we can't in anyway let this prosper.

They don't actually care about "Anglo-Saxon" contributions, it's a dogwhistle
Explain how. Ever thought that maybe it's a counterreaction to the left's revisionism on history, and the cancellation & censorship of important historical figures?

You don't realize why calling a it the "America First" caucus is a dogwhistle? It's implying that non-Anglo Saxons are not Americans.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »

History has shown that societal trust and political unity are threatened when foreign citizens are imported en-masse into a country ...

Yup, these guys are definitely referencing the Magna Carta with "Anglo-Saxon political traditions" and are not just generically racist.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2021, 12:54:01 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2021, 01:02:35 PM by Roll Roons »

You wouldn't give MTG herself the airtime or the attention, so why do it with similar members of this forum when they're so blatantly asking for it?

Unfortunately, the awful media does exactly that. They really are the enemy of the people.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »

I don’t even know if I would count as “Anglo-Saxon” because I have more Scottish and Welsh ancestry according to DNA tests than English (more Scottish outright, significantly more if Scottish and Welsh are combined), and those are usually considered “Celtic” as opposed to “Anglo-Saxon.” But there is a lot of disagreement among historians and geneticists about if these groups are even all that distinct from each other in any meaningful sense. And in any case, anyone unironically calling themselves “Anglo-Saxon” today is at best cringe and at worst a racist.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »

Kinzinger's reaction:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2021, 02:49:09 PM »

History has shown that societal trust and political unity are threatened when foreign citizens are imported en-masse into a country ...

Yup, these guys are definitely referencing the Magna Carta with "Anglo-Saxon political traditions" and are not just generically racist.

Has it occurred to you that some people oppose immigration because they really do believe things they genuinely care about are threatened by it?

How about making the argument that the political traditions that America inherited from England and built upon is not threatened by large numbers of people coming here from completely different cultures, rather than assuming that caring about the political traditions at all is racist?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2021, 03:24:59 PM »

Well the difference is that the groups that those caucuses represent face a common set of struggles and therefore have banded together to advance a common set of goals.

The reason it’s fundamentally not the same to have a “congressional white caucus” (or white history month, white chamber of commerce, etc.) is that the category of “white” is defined by exclusion, i.e. “not non-white.” There’s nothing wrong with people being proud of their particular Italian, German, Scottish, or sure, Anglo-Saxon heritage. But the only common thread that unites all “white culture” is the history of discrimination against non-whites.

Here, these people are clearly using “European descent” or “Anglo-Saxon heritage” or “America First” to mean “white.” The implication is that there is necessarily a white aspect to the “real” American cultural identity.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »

Kinzinger's reaction:

How ironic and horrible would it be if he looses his primary to someone who joins the caucus
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2021, 05:14:49 PM »

Per CNN, MTG has scrapped the idea.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »

Has it occurred to you that some people oppose immigration because they really do believe things they genuinely care about are threatened by it?

Are you talking about white supremacists or people advocating for the betterment of the working class?

Because if it's the former, I absolutely believe that they genuinely care about the color of their neighbors skin and are are very threatened if they have to see people who aren't lily-white. I don't think that such people should be allowed to inflict their beliefs on anyone else.

if it's the latter, given that those who loudly oppose immigration near-universally support politicians who at best do nothing, and more often actually benefit, from the illegal employment of immigrants, I find it impossible to consider their positions genuine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »

As one who probably has a majority of his DNA being "Anglo Saxon," I thought this must have been a joke. Apparently not. One wonders whether these cretins do this for the media splash, or just lack self awareness, or have poor marketing skills (they may have meant traditional values or something), or are xenophobes or racist.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »

Talk about hanging your defenders out to dry...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2021, 06:16:27 PM »

Talk about hanging your defenders out to dry...

Maybe even she doesn't want to be associated with Matt Gaetz. If that's the case, you know you f***ed up.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »

Ah yes, the political tradition that we trace back to that great Anglo-Saxon dynasty, [checks notes] the House of Plantagenet.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »

Ah yes, the political tradition that we trace back to that great Anglo-Saxon dynasty, [checks notes] the House of Plantagenet.

You fool! Those are disgusting dirty Englishmen! The last true king of England was House Godwin!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2021, 06:45:09 PM by America Needs Kali »

You fool! Those are disgusting dirty Englishmen! The last true king of England was House Godwin!

You mean the House of Cerdic, better known as the House of Wessex (i.e. Edward the Confessor).  In any case, they are both extinct.  
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2021, 06:51:08 PM »

How about making the argument that the political traditions that America inherited from England and built upon is not threatened by large numbers of people coming here from completely different cultures, rather than assuming that caring about the political traditions at all is racist?

I should also point out that less than 10% of Americans are primarily of English descent, so if immigration from other countries harms those traditions, it would have finished us off centuries ago.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2021, 07:05:02 PM »

I should also point out that less than 10% of Americans are primarily of English descent, so if immigration from other countries harms those traditions, it would have finished us off centuries ago.

Those numbers are almost certainly underreported, but it’s certainly a minority of the country anyways.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »

Sir Woodbury, the fact that Kevin McCarthy and 97% of his caucus saw this as a bridge too far is why I didn’t bother debating the point with people siding with Greene and Gosar thinking this was a defensible, non-racist idea.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »

If you think the "importation" of non-white (sorry, "non Anglo-Saxon" Roll Eyes) immigrants poses a threat to American political traditions, you are by definition a racist, or at least a xenophobe. There is plenty of historical and contemporaneous evidence to refute this; but that's not how debates work! You started this conversation by making a claim, let's see you defend it.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »

Hahaha the Republicans are officially so white they've managed to make a club that even I wouldn't be allowed into. And I am so freaking white.

Okay, apparently Paul Gosar's mother's family is from a village in France just 5 miles from where my mother's family is from? Amazing. Maybe I spoke too soon. Tongue

I'm definitely including a long-standing feud between our families as fanon in my memoirs when I'm old and famous.
The Gosar family are mostly incredibly partisan democrats(one of them was the sacrifical lamb that ran for governor of Wyoming) Paul is the black sheep of the family.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2021, 08:12:23 PM »

You mean the House of Cerdic, better known as the House of Wessex (i.e. Edward the Confessor).  In any case, they are both extinct.  

That’s just what the Normans want you to think!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2021, 08:59:58 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 08:26:49 AM by Congrats, Griffin! »

If you think that's a bad thing, yes?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies