Nate Silver believes Democrats will not suffer from low turnout in the 2022 midterms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:14:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nate Silver believes Democrats will not suffer from low turnout in the 2022 midterms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nate Silver believes Democrats will not suffer from low turnout in the 2022 midterms  (Read 1573 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 09:37:09 PM »

Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »

Oh boy, this is gonna get the blue avs in one hell of a tizzy.

I hope he's right. I think there is some logical grounding to this. But, I'll believe it when I see it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:59 PM »

The Rs are trying to make amnesty an issue about giving Immigrants more Entitlements.

Afro American people are the ones that are hurt and it's true that there are more Black Republicans Especially in OH.

But, if D's get a Supermajority Senate, then we get Reparations, that's we we should turn NC and OH blue not keep it red but DeWine and Rubio are safe.

DeSantis and Mandel and NC are the states in play DeSantis and Mandel ate disliked by Black Dems

I made my Predictions how it will go and there will be split voting too
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:51:46 PM »

Who cares what he says?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »

I mean, this is all relative. Wasn't gop turnout actually pretty high in 2018, just not high enough.....

The issue for BOTH the dems and the reps at this point is that trump is not on the ballot.

All those previously apolitical wine moms in the suburbs with hr jobs who never really voted before  2018 and 2020 are going to be much less likely to give a crap about politics now that the orange cheeto they hate is gone

All those previously apolitical joe blows in rural areas who saw their steel job go bye-bye 15 years ago is going to be much less likely to give a crap about politics now that the orange god emperor they fellatio'd is gone.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 10:07:13 PM »

I mean, this is all relative. Wasn't gop turnout actually pretty high in 2018, just not high enough.....

The issue for BOTH the dems and the reps at this point is that trump is not on the ballot.

All those previously apolitical wine moms in the suburbs with hr jobs who never really voted before  2018 and 2020 are going to be much less likely to give a crap about politics now that the orange cheeto they hate is gone

All those previously apolitical joe blows in rural areas who saw their steel job go bye-bye 15 years ago is going to be much less likely to give a crap about politics now that the orange god emperor they fellatio'd is gone.

High enough to hold the senate, for sure. They beat four incumbents, one in a state Democrats shouldn't have had any trouble holding.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:35:45 PM »

There are of course two pieces to the broader puzzle. As bad as D turnout was in 2010, it was even worse in 2014 (but Democrats improved with independents compared to 2010, helping to offset further drops in turnout). How independents break makes a huge difference. In the past 4 midterms, independents have broken for the out-of-power party by double digits.

That makes a huge difference among a self-identified group that comprises 25-30% of all midterm voters.

2006: D+19
2010: R+18
2014: R+12
2018: D+12

If Democrats as the in-party can pull a 2002 and basically break even with independents, even a fairly meaningful turnout differential benefitting Rs could be absorbed without too many losses.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 01:38:31 AM »

College educated voters are more likely to vote in midterms then WWC voters, which helps Democrats. Minority voters voting at lower numbers does hurt Democrats. The midterm dynamic used to benefit Republicans but with the education divide starting, both sides have downsides.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 02:24:27 AM »

College educated voters are more likely to vote in midterms then WWC voters, which helps Democrats. Minority voters voting at lower numbers does hurt Democrats. The midterm dynamic used to benefit Republicans but with the education divide starting, both sides have downsides.

This is true, but the areas of the nation where college whites are firmly dem now are areas that are already safe dem

In the swing districts of Atlanta, Texas, etc, college whites are still much more open to the GOP.

Whites with a degree are not a monolithic group interstate-wise

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 02:26:46 AM »

The stakes would have to be really high to motivate the uninformed low propensity voters. It sounds more like the politically engaged people in the Dem base are just getting more and more scared. Hopefully the education divide means Democrats have less of a turnout disadvantage than they did in 2010 or 2014.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 05:28:21 AM »

I don’t get why they’d see it as particularly existential any more than Republican voters would.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 05:41:07 AM »

I think Dems will do fairly okay with turnout and holding loses low.

The problem is... the margin of error is insanely thin.

Statehood and HR1 would turn the 2022 Midterms from Likely R/Lean R to Tossup/Lean D
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 05:52:29 AM »

The stakes would have to be really high to motivate the uninformed low propensity voters. It sounds more like the politically engaged people in the Dem base are just getting more and more scared. Hopefully the education divide means Democrats have less of a turnout disadvantage than they did in 2010 or 2014.

The stakes ARE really high.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 06:26:46 AM »

Dread from it, run from it, B I D E N M I D T E R M arrives all the same
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 07:06:25 AM »

Lmao
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 07:21:21 AM »

I do tend to think base turnout will be pretty good for the Democrats, if nothing else (assuming things continue as they have so far).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 09:02:10 AM »

It's way too early to predict this. It remains to be seen whether increased turnout remains a phenomena beyond the Trump era. As for now, I don't think the 2022 election will be a 2014 style low turnout one, whether we can keep the energy alive.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

I think turnout will at least be somewhat higher for Democrats than in 2010 or 2014, since I doubt everyone who got into politics in the Trump era (and doesn’t like Trump) will disengage. However, if Republican turnout is still significantly higher, that’s going to be a problem for Democrats all the same.
UncleSam

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 10:31:15 AM »

Love the Nate Silver atlas-level analysis.

The fact that Ds are consistently gaining among college educated voters means that there’s a chance this is true, at least to an extent. I think a 2014-esque win for Rs is unlikely. However, I’m also not seeing much in the way of statistical evidence that low propensity D voters will show up. Coalition changes have helped Ds in this regard but low propensity voters still make up a bigger portion of their base.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »

Why would this election be different than the last 70+ years.

The two exception obviously being a year after 911 and the impeachment of Bill Clinton which was a big deal.

I get that COVID is huge, but I don't see it as a motivating factor two years from now.

Yes, I know the GOP has more working class voters and the dems have more college educated so of course it won't be 2014 low turnout. But, it'll probably be pretty low. The GOP will find one way or another to get each of its voters out: immigration, culture war, guns, or a combo.

I just think so many red avatars here are way too optimistic
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 02:56:53 PM »

https://www.fivethirtyeight.com/features/senate-rankings-may-2009-edition/
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »

A Jim Bunning retirement would help Republicans — but perhaps not as much as you’d think in a state where Democrats still have a significant registration advantage.

Lincoln raised $1.7 million in the first quarter, which may further reduce the mostly-theoretical possibility that Republicans decide to mount a serious challenge to her.

Amazing.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »

A Jim Bunning retirement would help Republicans — but perhaps not as much as you’d think in a state where Democrats still have a significant registration advantage.

Lincoln raised $1.7 million in the first quarter, which may further reduce the mostly-theoretical possibility that Republicans decide to mount a serious challenge to her.

Amazing.

More gems:
(Missouri) increasingly feels like a lean Democratic race.

A Republican comeback is unlikely if the uber-conservative Pat Toomey is the Republican nominee.

A nice 1Q fundraising haul by Dorgan reduces the already-slim chance that popular GOP governor John Hoeven might decide to challenge him.

Also Indiana was seen as one of the safest. And Lol at Toomey being considered "uber-conservative".

Moral of the story: Politics can be VERY unpredictable.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

Amazing.

More gems:
(Missouri) increasingly feels like a lean Democratic race.

A Republican comeback is unlikely if the uber-conservative Pat Toomey is the Republican nominee.

A nice 1Q fundraising haul by Dorgan reduces the already-slim chance that popular GOP governor John Hoeven might decide to challenge him.

Also Indiana was seen as one of the safest. And Lol at Toomey being considered "uber-conservative".

Moral of the story: Politics can be VERY unpredictable.

The Missouri prediction was really dumb given the fact that Democrats barely won that race in a year like 2006 and that seat in question was held by the republicans
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 03:40:52 PM »

Love the Nate Silver atlas-level analysis.

The fact that Ds are consistently gaining among college educated voters means that there’s a chance this is true, at least to an extent. I think a 2014-esque win for Rs is unlikely. However, I’m also not seeing much in the way of statistical evidence that low propensity D voters will show up. Coalition changes have helped Ds in this regard but low propensity voters still make up a bigger portion of their base.

Some atlas threads from 2009:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=94194.0

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=95338.0;viewResults

Some atlas threads from 2005:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=21417.0

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies